Vulpine Summer

Chapter Nine

Esme Dupont stared at the thief with as much pride as possible. She wanted him to be wary of her, to fear her even. She was a Wizard after all, she had power he didn't, but mostly she didn't want him to sense her weakness and nervousness. She had to be impressive and imposing to make sure her blackmail was heard and taken seriously. Being dressed in the baggy men's clothes she desperately begged River Oak to fetch when she woke up human didn't help her cause but it was better than being naked.

The thief was eyeing her with as much contempt as she had for him. He didn't frighten her, not even the sly gleam to his green eyes that screamed this blackmail lark was going to be difficult. He was alone while she wasn't. Esme had her Grimoire, Absolon and two Spirits who were immensely loyal. She also had his precious Eye. Everything was playing out well for her.

'Don't think I've met you.' The thief said defensively.

'You haven't.'

A thick smile came over his features and he mockingly bowed. 'Name's Fox.'

Esme didn't care to know his name but at least she had something to address him by now instead of lowlife, criminal or thief.

'Well, Fox, you stole something of mine yesterday.'

The expression on his face was genuinely confused. His brow furrowed and his nose wrinkled slightly as he tried to think of what. It made her dislike him more a little bit then. He put her through all that trouble only for him to not realise he had stolen her Grimoire.

'Absolon.' She murmured, calling her faithful sprite to her.

Absolon appeared swiftly in a puff of white mist and glittering lights. He held out her Grimoire obediently and whistled when she smiled at him happily. She quickly wiped the smile on her mouth though when she remembered Fox was watching her intently and an imposing, fearful Wizard didn't smile warmly at Sprites.

'This is what you stole from me.' Esme announced as she held out her Grimoire.

Fox's scruffy features rippled like a disturbed still pond. At first there was confusion, then realisation then wariness.

'I remember that, yeah. I didn't steal it though. It was in the river.' He gestured to River Oak who watched with malefic eyes.

'I was in that river.' Esme snapped. 'And you stole my most important and treasured item which is why I took the liberty to retrieve from your…home.' She recalled the dank, messy hole of squalor. Home wasn't really what she would call it.

Fox readjusted his hat nonchalantly, trying to play off he didn't care much for her words or was that wary of her. She noticed though. He seemed tightly sprung, as if he was ready to pounce or flee. He couldn't lie to her.

'So what? You got what you wanted.'

'And I have what you want.' She said.

'That is?'

Esme scowled. He was being deliberately obtuse and uncaring. She knew he cared about this Eye. He wouldn't have come here if he didn't.

Esme tapped Absolon's belly, watching it wobble like jelly. He giggled as the Eye was disturbed in his stomach and floated about like an aimless leaf. Esme watched Fox carefully but his face didn't shimmer with any kind of recognition. He was good. Good enough that she was beginning to doubt herself a little. Did she misunderstand when she overheard that conversation?

'You stole this Eye and I know it's important to you. You need to for a trial within your guild and it is also worth an awful lot of money.' Esme stated, not letting the impassive Fox shake her resolve. 'You need this back.'

'I wouldn't mind havin' it back, no.' Fox said and shrugged. 'But you can keep it.'

'Truly? You are too kind but I have no use for such baubles. I have money enough to buy at least three of these.' Esme placed a finger to her mouth in feigned thought. 'Maybe River Oak could have it as a donation. She does like her glittery stones, do you not River Oak?'

River Oak bowed her baled scaled head in agreement but Esme didn't pay full attention to the Spirit. She watched in the corner of her eye instead and picked up the moment he cracked. His face twitched, his features twisting a little in anger or panic, maybe both. This did mean something to him after all. She decided to press.

'So I guess you can go. Neither of us want the Eye so this meeting is pointless.' She held out the flat of her pale palm to Absolon. 'Absolon, please may I have the Eye. I wish to give it to River Oak to honour our friendship.'

Just as Absolon whistled and touched his belly, summoning the Eye from within his jelly-like gut, Fox broke.

'Hold up! Alrigh' I get it, yeah? I want the goddamn Eye.' Fox snapped hotly.

Esme stared at him through half closed eyes and didn't say a word until the Eye had touched her palm. It was heavy from the weight of jewels and gold inlays and cold to the touch.

'So you this is important?'

'Yeah.' Fox growled in annoyance.

Esme smiled in triumph. 'And you want it back?'

'Yeah. I do.'

'Are you willing to do something for me in return?'

Fox stared at her warily. There was little trust in his intense hot gaze. She didn't expect there to be.

'Lay out what you want. I'll decide then.'

Esme, not familiar with blackmailing, felt it a reasonable request. 'I am aware that the Fingers can take anything and make it vanish. I want you to make me disappear. I want to be gone from Lakeside within two days and reappear in Hornfel City.'

Fox looked very guarded now. He shifted his weight as he thought quickly. 'No.'

Esme was taken aback. 'No?'

'Look, my codename is important to me but I ain't gettin' mixed up in this mess of yours. I value my life thank you very much.'

Esme stared at him. 'So you want to the Eye to thrown into the river.'

'No I don't want the Eye thrown into the river but I don't want to die either. Helping someone who offed the Grand Wizard is going to get me a noose round my neck or shot.'

Esme didn't notice the expression of regret flitting over Fox's face. The stuttering and twisting in her heart created too much pain to pay attention. Cassandra. Of course he thought she was the killer. The whole city did. It hurt her more than she thought it would to actually hear those words and that accusation, despite preparing herself for it.

But before Esme could open her mouth to deny his accusatory words, River Oak was on him. She slithered across the small distance between them, swimming through the air, and grabbed hold of his shoulder with her iron-like claws. With an easy tug, she yanked Fox into the air and her free had clamped about his throat, squeezing tightly.

'How dare the little, sly, thieving fox! How dare he hurt the Bloxham Sprite and accuse such atrocities! The Bloxham Sprite did not harm the Bloxham Spirit! She did not murder her and this one will not stand by and watch such vile things be thrown at her!' River Oak screeched horrifically.

Her whole body shook with rage as she choked away Fox's life and air.

'River Oak!' Esme called out in a panic. She needed Fox alive, not dead. She needed his help.

'Oi!' A new voice bellowed, echoing about in the empty, dead fishery.

Esme looked up to see a newcomer, someone who had obviously come as Fox's back up, and Esme instantly recognised her. Streaming across in a flurry of white and blond hair, the courtesan of the other night strode towards the endangered Fox in her dangerously pointed highheels.

'Let him go!' The courtesan demanded as she buried her hand into her frilly bag. 'Let him go or face me!'

Esme thought this woman absolutely insane until, ripped out of her bag, was a Grimoire. That was impossible. The Tower only accepted people of certain social standings, money or magical levels. It was impossible for the working classes to get into the Tower. And the Grimoire was all wrong too. Instead of the hand-made leather bindings and personalisation of the Wizard, this appeared to be a standard book adjusted to be a Grimoire. She wasn't a Tower Wizard but an Occultist. An illegal Wizard taught outside of the Tower.

The book of the Occultist courtesan fluttered open as she began to ready her assault. Esme realised she had to act quickly if these two criminals were going to be kept alive. She couldn't stop River Oak killing if they attacked and she needed Fox!

'River Oak!' Esme bellowed firmly and loudly. River Oak didn't respond, she just continued to squeeze. Fox's face had gone red now and his gasps were becoming more rattled.

'Lake Tranquil. I implore you to calm your mate.' Esme said hurriedly, gazing at the male Spirit who watched unmoving. 'It doesn't do me or the Bloxham Spirit any good if he dies.'

Lake Tranquil bowed his head and slipped into the air, drifting towards River Oak. Very gently he grasped her shoulder with a large hand and pulled her into his chest. A deep thrum began to emit from him, a low droned song, as he entangled his tail with hers. Almost instantly the rage of River Oak dwindled. She dropped Fox and let herself be held by Tranquil although her eyes still held hot daggers.

Esme watched as the courtesan held Fox, rubbing his back as he hauled air back into his deprived lungs. Esme didn't flinch at the courtesan's hostile glares despite how guilty they made her feel. She couldn't. It would show weakness.

'You keep those Spirits on a leash or I slit your pretty little throat.' The courtesan spat.

Esme regarded the woman with dislike. An illegal Wizard was something she would instantly go to Cassandra about. But Cassandra was dead and Esme was essentially exiled from the Tower. An Occultist wasn't her concern right now.

'I don't control them. They're their own persons. Just do not insult me. If you do, River Oak will grow angry again.'

'How did Fox insult you? He said the truth. I have seen your face all of them fliers in town. Everyone knows what you did.' She hissed.

Esme stared at her, her eyes darkening slightly. She was growing to dislike the woman as well so it pleased her a little to see the courtesan tense up at Oak's spits and hissings of warning.

'They're lies.'

Fox, finally able to speak again, forced his voice to work. 'How? The Tower wants you.'

'I did not kill my aunt.' Esme said sharply, trying to smother the swelling tears and heartache with anger. She couldn't be weak. 'But I saw who did.'

Fox and the courtesan stared at her expectantly.

'I doubt you have heard her name. Most low class aren't aware of the Adjutants. Her name is Suellen Denver. She murdered my aunt and she tried to harm me.'

'How did you escape?' Fox asked warily.

'I jumped from the top of the Tower. The River Oak and Absolon made sure I survived.' Esme gazed at them, fully aware they didn't believe her. She didn't need them to believe her though. She needed them to get her out of Lakeside. 'So I want to leave here. I need to go to Logan Lithgow. He's the only man more powerful than a Grand Adjutant both magically and politically who I can trust. I trust no one in that Tower, not when she has already gained control of it.'

The courtesan snorted in disbelief but the Fox continued to watch her with scrutiny. It made her shift her weight uncomfortably and bring a pink shade to her cheeks. No one had stared at her that intensely before, especially a man.

'I don't have a choice, do I?' He said finally.

'No. Help me get to Hornfel City and the Eye is yours again.' She held out her hand to remind him where it was. 'Or you can refuse and the Eye is River Oak's forever and there is no way of reclaiming something from a Spirit.'

Fox looked angry. His oddly attractive face was steely with anger. He hated her and she didn't blame him.

'Fox. I want to talk to you.' The courtesan said firmly.

When they moved, River Oak tensed up, ready to pull them back to Esme.

'It's okay.' Esme cooed soothingly.

River Oak backed down instantly but watched like a wolf as the pair shuffled away and stood close to each other, whispering earnestly in a huddle. Esme didn't pay too much attention to them. She knew he was going to accept her offer. He didn't have a choice.

'This one does not like the weasel.' River Oak said firmly. 'This one wishes the Bloxham Sprite would stay at her waters. This one and Tranquil can protect her from the Tower's malcontent and prevent the curse from being completed.'

'I know but it solves nothing. I need this curse gone and I need Suellen to be arrested and I can't do that by handing myself over to her with no one to protect me.' Esme reminded her. 'I have to leave here. I have to get help.'

River Oak twisted away from Tranquil and swam over to Esme, curling above Esme's head and letting her hands rest on Esme's small shoulders. She held out her hand and waved it, summoning a small tendril of water. It quickly formed into a small thin whistle.

'This will call for help in the song of this one's kind. The Spirits will protect the Bloxham Sprite when they can but use it wisely. It will break after so many songs.'

Esme took it. It was cold to the touch and felt wrong. It appeared like steel but it felt wet, like water, and even her weak magic could sense the power within it. But before Esme could respond to River Oak's kind gift, Fox and the courtesan has returned.

'We accept.' The courtesan stated, ignoring the Spirit that curled around Esme protectively.

'You do?' Esme smiled in triumph.

'We do.' Fox repeated guardedly. 'But I need the Eye. I'm contracted right now and I can't leave Lakeside without completing it first.'

Esme instantly shook her head and clutched the Eye to her flat chest. 'No.'

Fox sighed sharply. 'I have to show the Eye to the Doe! If I don't, I can't leave and if I leave, we'll be hunted down by the Fingers as well as the police and the Tower. I need the Fingers on my side to get you to Hornfel.'

Esme glared. There was no way she was going to fall for that. She was not giving up her only bargaining chip.

For the first time, Tranquil stirred. He was always so quiet and still, just like his domain, that Esme jumped when she heard his lazy voice.

'This one may be of use.' He said and pushed himself towards her and held out his white hand.

Esme didn't hesitate to hand it over to the Spirit.

Tranquil held it up to his face, gazing at it intently and turning it over to inspect it. It glittered prettily in the sunbeams that burst through the splintered roof. He slowly enveloped the Eye in his hand and water began to pour between his clenched fingers. Esme watched, curious, as Fox stared one with a nervous gaze. In a few seconds, Tranquil opened his hand and the Eye floated up in a glob of water along side another. The ball of water shimmered and hummed with magic as it scraped itself into a ball and grew increasingly solid. The water warped, popping and spitting, until finally it formed into a bejewelled ball. A second Eye.

'Use this one instead. It is a mimic of the original.' Tranquil said as he handed the fake Eye to a disgruntled Fox.

'Won't magic see its fake? We always check for fakes and nothin' passes the Doe.' Fox grumbled.

'No. It is a mimic. It is true yet untrue. Hand it to this Doe and she will see it for what it is. The Eye. However this one will tear it down and reveal the lies should Fox fail to return and act out the promise to the Bloxham Sprite.' Tranquil said, his tone hardening with warning.

Fox seemed cowed. His expression wore frustration and anger but begrudging obedience. Esme knew he would come back for her.

'I'll get this to the Doe then.' Fox said unhappily, clearly annoyed he hadn't obtained the real Eye. 'I'll be back in the evening and we can leave.'

Esme nodded happily, her face pink with relief and excitement. 'I will be waiting.'

Fox nodded and turned to leave but not before River Oak was on him. She swam over head and stared at him upside down, clamping his scalp in her clawed hands. He yelped a little in both surprise and pain.

'Do not betray us. If Fox does, this one will fill his lungs with water and watch him drown like a fish out of water. Then she will feed his corpse to the creatures living in this one's river, his body never to be found. Is that understood, thief?' River Oak threatened.

Fox nodded sharply as he held up his hand for the courtesan to stand down as she reached for her illegal Grimoire.

'Remember, this one does not need to be near him to end his life. This one's children will act in her stead.'

Esme frowned, unhappy at Oak's aggressiveness. The thief had already agreed on everything. 'River Oak. Leave him be.'

River Oak held Fox's head for a few seconds longer before she suddenly let him go. He instantly was rubbing his head protectively and he glanced back at Esme, his eyes glittering with wariness. He was quickly pulled along by the courtesan and Occultist and they left without looking back. Esme breathed a sigh of relief and let a huge smile touch her mouth for the first time in the last day. Things were finally going her way.Esme Dupont stared at the thief with as much pride as possible. She wanted him to be wary of her, to fear her even. She was a Wizard after all, she had power he didn't, but mostly she didn't want him to sense her weakness and nervousness. She had to be impressive and imposing to make sure her blackmail was heard and taken seriously. Being dressed in the baggy men's clothes she desperately begged River Oak to fetch when she woke up human didn't help her cause but it was better than being naked.

The thief was eyeing her with as much contempt as she had for him. He didn't frighten her, not even the sly gleam to his green eyes that screamed this blackmail lark was going to be difficult. He was alone while she wasn't. Esme had her Grimoire, Absolon and two Spirits who were immensely loyal. She also had his precious Eye. Everything was playing out well for her.

'Don't think I've met you.' The thief said defensively.

'You haven't.'

A thick smile came over his features and he mockingly bowed. 'Name's Fox.'

Esme didn't care to know his name but at least she had something to address him by now instead of lowlife, criminal or thief.

'Well, Fox, you stole something of mine yesterday.'

The expression on his face was genuinely confused. His brow furrowed and his nose wrinkled slightly as he tried to think of what. It made her dislike him more a little bit then. He put her through all that trouble only for him to not realise he had stolen her Grimoire.

'Absolon.' She murmured, calling her faithful sprite to her.

Absolon appeared swiftly in a puff of white mist and glittering lights. He held out her Grimoire obediently and whistled when she smiled at him happily. She quickly wiped the smile on her mouth though when she remembered Fox was watching her intently and an imposing, fearful Wizard didn't smile warmly at Sprites.

'This is what you stole from me.' Esme announced as she held out her Grimoire.

Fox's scruffy features rippled like a disturbed still pond. At first there was confusion, then realisation then wariness.

'I remember that, yeah. I didn't steal it though. It was in the river.' He gestured to River Oak who watched with malefic eyes.

'I was in that river.' Esme snapped. 'And you stole my most important and treasured item which is why I took the liberty to retrieve from your…home.' She recalled the dank, messy hole of squalor. Home wasn't really what she would call it.

Fox readjusted his hat nonchalantly, trying to play off he didn't care much for her words or was that wary of her. She noticed though. He seemed tightly sprung, as if he was ready to pounce or flee. He couldn't lie to her.

'So what? You got what you wanted.'

'And I have what you want.' She said.

'That is?'

Esme scowled. He was being deliberately obtuse and uncaring. She knew he cared about this Eye. He wouldn't have come here if he didn't.

Esme tapped Absolon's belly, watching it wobble like jelly. He giggled as the Eye was disturbed in his stomach and floated about like an aimless leaf. Esme watched Fox carefully but his face didn't shimmer with any kind of recognition. He was good. Good enough that she was beginning to doubt herself a little. Did she misunderstand when she overheard that conversation?

'You stole this Eye and I know it's important to you. You need to for a trial within your guild and it is also worth an awful lot of money.' Esme stated, not letting the impassive Fox shake her resolve. 'You need this back.'

'I wouldn't mind havin' it back, no.' Fox said and shrugged. 'But you can keep it.'

'Truly? You are too kind but I have no use for such baubles. I have money enough to buy at least three of these.' Esme placed a finger to her mouth in feigned thought. 'Maybe River Oak could have it as a donation. She does like her glittery stones, do you not River Oak?'

River Oak bowed her baled scaled head in agreement but Esme didn't pay full attention to the Spirit. She watched in the corner of her eye instead and picked up the moment he cracked. His face twitched, his features twisting a little in anger or panic, maybe both. This did mean something to him after all. She decided to press.

'So I guess you can go. Neither of us want the Eye so this meeting is pointless.' She held out the flat of her pale palm to Absolon. 'Absolon, please may I have the Eye. I wish to give it to River Oak to honour our friendship.'

Just as Absolon whistled and touched his belly, summoning the Eye from within his jelly-like gut, Fox broke.

'Hold up! Alrigh' I get it, yeah? I want the goddamn Eye.' Fox snapped hotly.

Esme stared at him through half closed eyes and didn't say a word until the Eye had touched her palm. It was heavy from the weight of jewels and gold inlays and cold to the touch.

'So you this is important?'

'Yeah.' Fox growled in annoyance.

Esme smiled in triumph. 'And you want it back?'

'Yeah. I do.'

'Are you willing to do something for me in return?'

Fox stared at her warily. There was little trust in his intense hot gaze. She didn't expect there to be.

'Lay out what you want. I'll decide then.'

Esme, not familiar with blackmailing, felt it a reasonable request. 'I am aware that the Fingers can take anything and make it vanish. I want you to make me disappear. I want to be gone from Lakeside within two days and reappear in Hornfel City.'

Fox looked very guarded now. He shifted his weight as he thought quickly. 'No.'

Esme was taken aback. 'No?'

'Look, my codename is important to me but I ain't gettin' mixed up in this mess of yours. I value my life thank you very much.'

Esme stared at him. 'So you want to the Eye to thrown into the river.'

'No I don't want the Eye thrown into the river but I don't want to die either. Helping someone who offed the Grand Wizard is going to get me a noose round my neck or shot.'

Esme didn't notice the expression of regret flitting over Fox's face. The stuttering and twisting in her heart created too much pain to pay attention. Cassandra. Of course he thought she was the killer. The whole city did. It hurt her more than she thought it would to actually hear those words and that accusation, despite preparing herself for it.

But before Esme could open her mouth to deny his accusatory words, River Oak was on him. She slithered across the small distance between them, swimming through the air, and grabbed hold of his shoulder with her iron-like claws. With an easy tug, she yanked Fox into the air and her free had clamped about his throat, squeezing tightly.

'How dare the little, sly, thieving fox! How dare he hurt the Bloxham Sprite and accuse such atrocities! The Bloxham Sprite did not harm the Bloxham Spirit! She did not murder her and this one will not stand by and watch such vile things be thrown at her!' River Oak screeched horrifically.

Her whole body shook with rage as she choked away Fox's life and air.

'River Oak!' Esme called out in a panic. She needed Fox alive, not dead. She needed his help.

'Oi!' A new voice bellowed, echoing about in the empty, dead fishery.

Esme looked up to see a newcomer, someone who had obviously come as Fox's back up, and Esme instantly recognised her. Streaming across in a flurry of white and blond hair, the courtesan of the other night strode towards the endangered Fox in her dangerously pointed highheels.

'Let him go!' The courtesan demanded as she buried her hand into her frilly bag. 'Let him go or face me!'

Esme thought this woman absolutely insane until, ripped out of her bag, was a Grimoire. That was impossible. The Tower only accepted people of certain social standings, money or magical levels. It was impossible for the working classes to get into the Tower. And the Grimoire was all wrong too. Instead of the hand-made leather bindings and personalisation of the Wizard, this appeared to be a standard book adjusted to be a Grimoire. She wasn't a Tower Wizard but an Occultist. An illegal Wizard taught outside of the Tower.

The book of the Occultist courtesan fluttered open as she began to ready her assault. Esme realised she had to act quickly if these two criminals were going to be kept alive. She couldn't stop River Oak killing if they attacked and she needed Fox!

'River Oak!' Esme bellowed firmly and loudly. River Oak didn't respond, she just continued to squeeze. Fox's face had gone red now and his gasps were becoming more rattled.

'Lake Tranquil. I implore you to calm your mate.' Esme said hurriedly, gazing at the male Spirit who watched unmoving. 'It doesn't do me or the Bloxham Spirit any good if he dies.'

Lake Tranquil bowed his head and slipped into the air, drifting towards River Oak. Very gently he grasped her shoulder with a large hand and pulled her into his chest. A deep thrum began to emit from him, a low droned song, as he entangled his tail with hers. Almost instantly the rage of River Oak dwindled. She dropped Fox and let herself be held by Tranquil although her eyes still held hot daggers.

Esme watched as the courtesan held Fox, rubbing his back as he hauled air back into his deprived lungs. Esme didn't flinch at the courtesan's hostile glares despite how guilty they made her feel. She couldn't. It would show weakness.

'You keep those Spirits on a leash or I slit your pretty little throat.' The courtesan spat.

Esme regarded the woman with dislike. An illegal Wizard was something she would instantly go to Cassandra about. But Cassandra was dead and Esme was essentially exiled from the Tower. An Occultist wasn't her concern right now.

'I don't control them. They're their own persons. Just do not insult me. If you do, River Oak will grow angry again.'

'How did Fox insult you? He said the truth. I have seen your face all of them fliers in town. Everyone knows what you did.' She hissed.

Esme stared at her, her eyes darkening slightly. She was growing to dislike the woman as well so it pleased her a little to see the courtesan tense up at Oak's spits and hissings of warning.

'They're lies.'

Fox, finally able to speak again, forced his voice to work. 'How? The Tower wants you.'

'I did not kill my aunt.' Esme said sharply, trying to smother the swelling tears and heartache with anger. She couldn't be weak. 'But I saw who did.'

Fox and the courtesan stared at her expectantly.

'I doubt you have heard her name. Most low class aren't aware of the Adjutants. Her name is Suellen Denver. She murdered my aunt and she tried to harm me.'

'How did you escape?' Fox asked warily.

'I jumped from the top of the Tower. The River Oak and Absolon made sure I survived.' Esme gazed at them, fully aware they didn't believe her. She didn't need them to believe her though. She needed them to get her out of Lakeside. 'So I want to leave here. I need to go to Logan Lithgow. He's the only man more powerful than a Grand Adjutant both magically and politically who I can trust. I trust no one in that Tower, not when she has already gained control of it.'

The courtesan snorted in disbelief but the Fox continued to watch her with scrutiny. It made her shift her weight uncomfortably and bring a pink shade to her cheeks. No one had stared at her that intensely before, especially a man.

'I don't have a choice, do I?' He said finally.

'No. Help me get to Hornfel City and the Eye is yours again.' She held out her hand to remind him where it was. 'Or you can refuse and the Eye is River Oak's forever and there is no way of reclaiming something from a Spirit.'

Fox looked angry. His oddly attractive face was steely with anger. He hated her and she didn't blame him.

'Fox. I want to talk to you.' The courtesan said firmly.

When they moved, River Oak tensed up, ready to pull them back to Esme.

'It's okay.' Esme cooed soothingly.

River Oak backed down instantly but watched like a wolf as the pair shuffled away and stood close to each other, whispering earnestly in a huddle. Esme didn't pay too much attention to them. She knew he was going to accept her offer. He didn't have a choice.

'This one does not like the weasel.' River Oak said firmly. 'This one wishes the Bloxham Sprite would stay at her waters. This one and Tranquil can protect her from the Tower's malcontent and prevent the curse from being completed.'

'I know but it solves nothing. I need this curse gone and I need Suellen to be arrested and I can't do that by handing myself over to her with no one to protect me.' Esme reminded her. 'I have to leave here. I have to get help.'

River Oak twisted away from Tranquil and swam over to Esme, curling above Esme's head and letting her hands rest on Esme's small shoulders. She held out her hand and waved it, summoning a small tendril of water. It quickly formed into a small thin whistle.

'This will call for help in the song of this one's kind. The Spirits will protect the Bloxham Sprite when they can but use it wisely. It will break after so many songs.'

Esme took it. It was cold to the touch and felt wrong. It appeared like steel but it felt wet, like water, and even her weak magic could sense the power within it. But before Esme could respond to River Oak's kind gift, Fox and the courtesan has returned.

'We accept.' The courtesan stated, ignoring the Spirit that curled around Esme protectively.

'You do?' Esme smiled in triumph.

'We do.' Fox repeated guardedly. 'But I need the Eye. I'm contracted right now and I can't leave Lakeside without completing it first.'

Esme instantly shook her head and clutched the Eye to her flat chest. 'No.'

Fox sighed sharply. 'I have to show the Eye to the Doe! If I don't, I can't leave and if I leave, we'll be hunted down by the Fingers as well as the police and the Tower. I need the Fingers on my side to get you to Hornfel.'

Esme glared. There was no way she was going to fall for that. She was not giving up her only bargaining chip.

For the first time, Tranquil stirred. He was always so quiet and still, just like his domain, that Esme jumped when she heard his lazy voice.

'This one may be of use.' He said and pushed himself towards her and held out his white hand.

Esme didn't hesitate to hand it over to the Spirit.

Tranquil held it up to his face, gazing at it intently and turning it over to inspect it. It glittered prettily in the sunbeams that burst through the splintered roof. He slowly enveloped the Eye in his hand and water began to pour between his clenched fingers. Esme watched, curious, as Fox stared one with a nervous gaze. In a few seconds, Tranquil opened his hand and the Eye floated up in a glob of water along side another. The ball of water shimmered and hummed with magic as it scraped itself into a ball and grew increasingly solid. The water warped, popping and spitting, until finally it formed into a bejewelled ball. A second Eye.

'Use this one instead. It is a mimic of the original.' Tranquil said as he handed the fake Eye to a disgruntled Fox.

'Won't magic see its fake? We always check for fakes and nothin' passes the Doe.' Fox grumbled.

'No. It is a mimic. It is true yet untrue. Hand it to this Doe and she will see it for what it is. The Eye. However this one will tear it down and reveal the lies should Fox fail to return and act out the promise to the Bloxham Sprite.' Tranquil said, his tone hardening with warning.

Fox seemed cowed. His expression wore frustration and anger but begrudging obedience. Esme knew he would come back for her.

'I'll get this to the Doe then.' Fox said unhappily, clearly annoyed he hadn't obtained the real Eye. 'I'll be back in the evening and we can leave.'

Esme nodded happily, her face pink with relief and excitement. 'I will be waiting.'

Fox nodded and turned to leave but not before River Oak was on him. She swam over head and stared at him upside down, clamping his scalp in her clawed hands. He yelped a little in both surprise and pain.

'Do not betray us. If Fox does, this one will fill his lungs with water and watch him drown like a fish out of water. Then she will feed his corpse to the creatures living in this one's river, his body never to be found. Is that understood, thief?' River Oak threatened.

Fox nodded sharply as he held up his hand for the courtesan to stand down as she reached for her illegal Grimoire.

'Remember, this one does not need to be near him to end his life. This one's children will act in her stead.'

Esme frowned, unhappy at Oak's aggressiveness. The thief had already agreed on everything. 'River Oak. Leave him be.'

River Oak held Fox's head for a few seconds longer before she suddenly let him go. He instantly was rubbing his head protectively and he glanced back at Esme, his eyes glittering with wariness. He was quickly pulled along by the courtesan and Occultist and they left without looking back. Esme breathed a sigh of relief and let a huge smile touch her mouth for the first time in the last day. Things were finally going her way.