Vulpine Summer

Chapter Thirteen

Esme woke uncomfortable, sweaty and itchy. The bed she lay on dug into her and felt as soft as cardboard. The pillows were old and flat, the blankets thin and scratchy, and the air was hot and sticky. How on earth did her bed become this bad?

When she irritably opened her eyes, she remembered where she was. Across from her was a curtain, half open to reveal an old bathtub. Old clothes, book and an assortment of stuff littered the floor. An unclean cup and dead candle occupied that bedside table and she spied Absolon dozing in the sunlight by the window, whistling with sleepy happiness.

She remembered; remembered she was on the run and that Fox was housing her now. She was no longer in the care of River Oak and Lake Tranquil. A stab of worry hit her chest hard. Where the Spirits safe? She hoped they were.

Esme sat up and instantly flushed red. That small gesture reminded her she was currently naked as the blanket slipped off her shoulder and let the warm summer hair tickle her pale skin. She snatched it up and covered herself, pink in the face with embarrassment, terrified Fox had seen her, but he didn't appear to be in his small room. He wasn't by the stove where she last remembered him and he wasn't in ancient leather chair by the window. She sighed in relief, glad she had some peace and time to think.

She curled up a little, wrapping the awful blanket about her, trying to ignore the bedsprings that dug into her bottom, and furrowed her brow in thought. She knew she couldn't leave Lakeside yet, Fox said he couldn't until he had clearance, but the danger here was growing larger. Suellen had found her hiding spot, she assumed by using common sense and searching the places magic tough couldn't in person. Oak and Tranquil kept magic from locating her but that just created a hole in the Tower's hunt, an anomaly that had to be investigated. Because of that, their domains were searched and they fought too. She hoped nothing bad happened to them. Suellen was powerful enough to either trap them or dispel them back into the ether and revert them back into Sprites. It made her miserable both from worry and despair. If two Spirits couldn't keep her safe, how could one measly thief?

Esme stiffened when the door opened swiftly and she curled herself into a small ball. She didn't even relax when she realised it was Fox. She was much too aware of her nakedness beneath the old fraying brown blanket.

Fox vaguely acknowledged her existence with a nod as he kicked his door shut then shuffled over to the single counter of his kitchen, clutching a massive brown bag. Esme watched warily as he pulled out several food stuffs and began to chuck them without care into his cupboard and fridge.

'I have food now but nothin' worth getting' excited about. Just basic stuff, nothin' your fancy mouth is used to.' Fox said obnoxiously, his tone dripping with dislike.

Esme scrunched up her nose. His attitude was bad. He needed to be fearfully respectful of her if she was going to keep him in line but what fear she had seemed to have vanished somehow.

'So long as it is not as rank as the sandwich I had last night, I don't care.' Esme snipped then sniffed.

Fox shot her a glare then shrugged as he began putting together oats and milk into a bowl. 'Now. You goin' to explain what happened last night? Why you were a fox?'

'I do not need to.'

'You do. I need to know everythin' if you want me to keep you alive.'

Esme stared, knowing full well he was right. She sighed. She hoped he wouldn't see any vulnerabilities in her but the fox curse was difficult to cover. She could at least continue to hide away the fear of Suellen and her sorrow at losing her life and aunt with anger though.

But before Esme could open her mouth, there was a loud knocking at the door; forceful and powerful enough to startle Absolon into consciousness. Esme flinched, her face paling and the glare slipping instantly into terror. Was it the Tower?

Fox had noticed her expression and his face darkened. In a few strides, he was across the room and shoved her back onto the lumpy bed and swamping her with another blanket.

'Quiet and still, yeah?' Fox hissed.

Esme nodded, obeying him without argument. He grunted and swiftly darted over to where Absolon slept, shoving the Grimoire beneath his clothes. She nestled further under the blankets in hopes no one could see her. She closed her eyes tightly, praying the Tower hadn't found her already. Tranquil and Oak fought for her to escape and she couldn't let their efforts be for nothing. She felt a small weight settle next to her and heard a gentle whistle, reminding her she wasn't quite alone. Absolon was nearby, eager to defend her. It settled her worries a little.

The door knocked again, louder this time.

'Alright! I'm comin', curse you!' Fox snapped and stormed over to the door.

Esme clutched at the blanket, trying to settle her breathing, as she heard the old door squeal open. But it wasn't a Wizard at the door, she quickly realised, when a familiar angry voice filled the room.

'What the bloody hell happened to you?' Elenore hissed shrilly.
Esme only popped her head over her covers when she heard Fox sigh heavily and the door shut. She peeked over the covers and observed as Elenore stood with her back to her. Elenore's blond hair bounced with every angry shake of her head or hand and her expensive pastel blue dress shook as her body fidgeted with upset.

'I was worried about you! Couldn't find you and the Tower had taken the old fishery! Was panicked with worry I was!' Elenore said sharply. 'Just why didn't you contact me? I thought you were dead or worse you pillock! Kept me up all night! Faked a stomach bug so I could avoid work even though I was set up with my best paying man and nearly called the Doe! That's how bad I was!'

Fox tried to get his words in but he ended up simply opening and closing his mouth like a fish and growing increasingly frustrated. Esme watched. She didn't feel like it was her place to speak but Elenore was about to drag her into the argument. The moment Elenore turned, her pretty eyes slipping to the bed where Esme lay naked and covered by the moth eaten blankets, her face contorted into rage and grew very red.

'Really Fox! Really? I've been up all night worryin' whether the bloody Tower got you or killed you and you've been hereā€¦' Her hands waved at Esme as she struggled to find the words in her outrage. 'Screwing the blackmailing Tower bitch?'

Both Esme and Fox's expression twisted into disgust. Esme was incredibly offended by the accusation and glanced at the red headed Fox, noting how scruffy he was and completely unlike the men she dreamt of marrying one day. She? Sleep with him? The filthy thief? Anger bubbled in her chest and Fox appeared to have the same reaction.

'No!' They both shouted.

'Then why is she naked in your bed you whore-son?'

Esme frowned, not quite understanding why Elenore used an insult to do with whore's when she was one herself, as Fox held up his hands and tried to placate her.

'Just listen, okay Ellie? For a second?'

Elenore heaved in anger but eventually folded her arms and began to tap her foot impatiently.

'I was at the fishery yesterday. Dupont and I were plannin' on where to go and waitin' to hear what info you gathered. Then this Wizard turned up, made the lake angry and we got pulled into the water by Oak. Then, the next thing I knew, I was chucked onto the River bank, it's midnight, the Spirit demands I run and get Dupont somewhere safe, which would be here.' Fox said firmly. 'The weirdest bit was Dupont was a fox.'

Elenore scoffed. 'A fox?'

'Yeah.'

Esme cleared her throat and pushed herself to sit up, clutching at the blankets. 'It's true. I turn into a fox during nightfall. I am cursed.'

Elenore whirled on her, her face still enraged and disgusted. 'Why?'

'Was what she was goin' to tell me before you came bargin' in, claimin' I'm bangin' her.' Fox grumbled heatedly. 'I have standards you know.'

'Shut up Fox.' Elenore snapped. 'Dupont, explain.'

Esme didn't like that she was being ordered about by a courtesan but she continued anyway. 'When Suellen Denver murdered my aunt, she did not kill me but instead wanted to use me. She wanted to turn me into a fox, completely, but I leapt from the Tower and Absolon managed to protect me from the worst of the curse. It still hit me however and I turn into a fox during the night.' She flushed a little as she glanced down at herself. 'It does not apply to whatever I am carrying or wearing however.'

'But why? Why did she curse you?' Elenore said sharply.

'I believe it is because I would be easy to manipulate. If my mind was fully fox, my memories would be easily changed. Suellen wants me to believe I really killed my aunt, to have my truth change and let me take the fall.'

Elenore stared in distrust. 'Then why don't you go to the bloody Tower and explain that?'

'Because that's where Suellen is. I will not hand myself over to her or the Ivory Tower when she is in power. She could easily finish what she started.' Esme glowered at Elenore, not liking that she still didn't believe her. 'It's why I want to go to the Granite Tower. The Grand Wizard there will help me.'

'Look, whatever the reason, it don't matter. I saw it. I carried her. I saw the fox go to sleep in that bed and watched her change shape at dawn. She turns into a fox and it changes nothin'. Fox said, making Esme blush. He saw her change? It made her suddenly very aware that he may have either seen a very ugly transition or saw her in a very compromising position. She curled up tighter.

Elenore huffed and placed her hands on her round hips. She appeared to be a little diswayed from her original assumptions and the flared anger dimmed.

'Fine.' She declared. 'Then let's get this Wizard sorted out.'

Esme curled up a little protectively as she recalled what Fox implied yesterday; that her hair was going to be cut. 'What are you going to do?'

'Change you.' Elenore said as she pulled out her scruffy Grimoire. 'You need to be more like a man.'

Esme frowned and Absolon shifted beside her, tinkling slightly in confusion and uncertain if he needed to act. Esme placed a hand on his round head and sighed.

'Cut my hair if you will.'

'Cut?' Elenore barked a laugh. 'I don't like bein' made fun of. I'm stronger than that.' She smiled in confidence. 'I'm goin' to show you what a lowly whore Occultist can do without your pompous and elitist Tower teachings.'

Esme stared at her warily and glanced at Fox. He didn't appear alarmed and instead shrugged and turned back to making his porridge. So Esme sat up tall, still clutching the blankets, and shook her hair.

'Turn. I need your back to me.' Elenore instructed and circled her finger in the air.

Esme did so and shuffled around, baring her bare white back to the courtesan. 'What will you do?'

'I'm goin' to change the colour, make it lighter, more blond I think. That's common here, almost as common as Fox's red. Black isn't.' Elenore said behind her as Esme sensed magic growing. She glanced over her shoulder and saw the poorly made book shining beneath Elenore's fingers, proving it was truly a Grimoire.

'And the length?'

'Make it much shorter. Shorter than Fox's. His is way too puffy.'

Esme notice Fox shooting her a glare over his shoudler but she had to agree. Fox's hair was incredibly fluffy and stuck out at all sides and made worse by his thick side-burns. Having something more manageable was welcome.

Esme remained quiet as Elenore worked. As her hands glowed, Elenore took Esme's hair and squeezed, scrunched and tugged, reshaping its appearance with relative ease. Esme was surprised at how quickly it was done when Elenore stepped back and handed Esme a mirror. She stared at herself, confused for a moment. Esme's black well shaped hair, cut in the latest fashion for young women of the upper class, was now a sandy blond and cut close to her head like a factory worker. It was scruffy, not too neat, and revealed her round ears well. It didn't quite suit her face and in fact made her features a little more angular. She raised her hand, expecting to feel the familiar soft flat locks but instead found she could only feel what she saw. Her hair was rough, not soft.

'I'm not good enough yet to make it permanent though. Water makes it go away so avoid rains.' Elenore told her. 'Now hold still. Your eye colour needs to change too.'

Esme frowned as Elenore covered Esme's eyes with the palms of her hands. They glowed, becoming warm and making spots dance over her vision. And then it was over. Esme blinked several times before looking at the mirror. The yellow honey eyes were gone and now replaced with a milky blue. Despite her face being the same, the change in hair and eyes had already made a difference.

Esme didn't want to voice it but she was impressed. It wasn't just an illusion but a complete physical change. Esme could only dream of reaching that kind of level of magic and control.

'Impressive, yeah?' Elenore said smugly.

'Who taught you this?'

Elenore wasn't going to breathe a word and pursed her lips but Fox answered instead as he shoved porridge into his mouth.

'The Doe. She's our Occultist. Helps with hidin' things and moving things about, makin' people forget.' He raised his brow when Elenore scowled at him. 'Not like she can do much with a title like the Doe and no face. Everyone knows the Fingers has Occultists.'

Esme had heard the rumour but, like many in the Tower, didn't truly believe there were Occultist running about under the Ivory Tower's nose and illegally passing on magic to un-approved Wizards. It meant Wizards of the Tower were letting out secrets they shouldn't be to people who were not tested and trusted. It was incredibly irresponsible.

'It is illegal to be taught outside of the Tower.'

Elenore's eyes scowled instantly. 'Yeah and which is why you lose out on many good Wizards. Your wonderful Tower only takes those of class and money. Anyone born in a gutter, farm, whore-house or lowly working class is ignored, even if they show promise.'

Esme wanted to argue but found she couldn't. Esme herself had been taught within the Tower, not because she was great at magic, but because she was the niece of the Grand Wizard. When she thought hard, she couldn't think of any names of any Wizards who were born without a title backing them or some kind of wealth. No one from the below the highest classes were involved. Either you knew the right people or bought your way in.

But Esme was stubborn and defensive of her Tower and her aunt's legacy and wasn't about to admit to rude Occultist and courtesan that she could be right about her home. 'Criminals are more likely to be born in the lower classes. It makes sense to weed them out and not trust them with great powers.'

Elenore's face grimaced in anger. 'Like you lot are so good. Crime runs rampant amongst you people, you just blame others or willingly play along and become good at burying evidence. The only reason magic is taught to us is because of the corruption in the Tower. Pay enough or do good favours and a Wizard is willing to spill any beans about your elitist magic.'

Esme was going to snap something back but Fox was standing and speaking loudly.

'Alright, stop the pissin' contest and arguin' who's class is worse than the other. We've got a criminal to smuggle out.' He said meaningfully, reminding Esme that she herself, a Tower Wizard, was a claimed murderer. Esme flushed red. 'Elenore, what do you know about our routes? You found somethin' right?'

'All main roads are out. Wizards are patrollin' them and they'll see right through this close up. So getting a friend to drive you two out isn't smart.' Elenore huffed. 'All stations are crawling with police and Wizards, so trains, buses, boats and blimps are out. Sewers are the best option but they're also being watched. Goin' to need to do some decent sneaking and invisiblity work to get by. All towns within a ten mile radius are in high alert too, Clockton included. It'll be tough gettin'

by until you're some distance. I don't know much beyond ten miles though.'

Fox frowned. Esme could clearly see he was hoping for a little more than that.

'Then the Spirit Paths are the best option.' Esme said softly.

'Spirit Paths? Those things will get you lost until you're dead.' Elenore scoffed. 'Doe always warned me to keep out of them. What's worse is there is word not even the Wizards can use them right now.'

'The Greatwood Spirit is a friend. He will help me and allow me to pass.' Esme insisted.

'Sewer is the best option if you want to live and not be stuck for eternity.' Elenore said firmly.

'We will take the Spirit Path.' Esme said stubbornly. Knowing Wizards were struggling to make the paths just made her want to take that route even more.

'You can but I won't have Fox in them.'

'Don't have much choice, do I?' Fox reminded her, gesturing to Absolon with the Eye in his belly. 'I go wherever Dupont wants me to go.'

Elenore pressed her neatly painted lips together as she recalled what exactly Esme had in her possession. 'Fine. Just tell me as soon as you're out that you're safe.'

Fox nodded and promised. Elenore huffed in grudging acceptance. 'Then we had better go get the shopping done. You'll need food to take and clothes to change into.' She aimed for the door. 'Are you coming Fox?'

Fox grunted and swung about for his boots. 'Yeah. Lost the lot of clothes I got for her yesterday.'

Esme watched, curiously tugging at her oddly short hair. 'What will I do?'

'Stay put.' Elenore snapped.

Fox agreed. 'The stone River Oak said will keep you safe is in Absolon. Just stay here.' He waved at the stove. 'Eat whatever. If you feel you can stomach the food.'

Esme scowled and chose to ignore his jibe. 'Find out news about River Oak and Tranquil Lake. Suellen is strong and they fought her to keep me safe. I worry about them.'

Fox nodded dismissively then left with Elenore without another word or even a glance, leaving her alone in the messy and hot room. She sighed and let the blanket go a little and glanced at Absolon. He was sleeping again. The heat was getting to him. She glanced at the stove and fridge. Her stomach gurgled. With a sigh she shuffled out of bed and made her way to the food as she tugged at her strange hair again, still unable to get used to how short it was. She stared at the food, hating how processed, fatty and cheap everything looked. She was used to everything being fresh and lean and the best cuts money could buy.

Might as well get used to it, she thought to herself.

It was going to be a long time before anything returned to normal after all.