Vulpine Summer

Chapter Seventeen

Esme sat on the comfortable bed, curled in as tight a ball as possible. Around her neck sat her whistle and a small pouch holding the stone hiding her essence and magic, newly watered and powered up. Her vulpine nose twitched, inhaling the scents drifting in from outside, and she sighed.

She felt better now. The last couple of days had been a low point. Sitting like a duck was scary and she found herself growing irritable from the anxiety of a Hunter tracking her down. It didn't help that she was never alone and Fox often bothered her. Keeping up her confident and fearless mask was exhausting when all she wanted to do was curl up in a ball and cry from fear and misery at how her life had fallen apart and not knowing where it was going, if anywhere. But now things were moving again she felt less caged. She was finally going to leave Lakeside and begin her journey for the Granite Tower and Lithgow.

'Lithgow will help. He'll know what to do.' She thought to herself confidently.

Her ears twitched and head shot up when the door opened suddenly. Fox slipped inside with Elenore closed behind. On his back was a bag laden with all kinds of things. So many scents drifted from it that Esme couldn't focus on one but it still made her stomach grumble. She hoped her Grimoire wasn't going to get stained and squashed at the bottom of that bag.

'Are you ready?' Fox asked stiffly.

Esme stood up on the bed, sure-footed on the squishy blankets and mattress. She bowed her head low and looked up at him expectantly.

Fox grunted and turned to Elenore. 'Keep me in the loop of things. Tell me where is safe and where isn't.'

'Go to Rat. He'll help you in Clockton.' Elenore said then quite abruptly pressed her mouth against his.

Esme ears pricked up and she decided to stare at her soft black paws until they separated.

'Be safe Fox. I don't want to wake up with news you're dead.' Elenore said firmly as she gripped his face. 'The Doe won't either.'

'Give me good info and I'll be fine.' Fox said and ruffled her golden hair. 'It'll be fine.'

Elenore huffed as turned to scowl at Esme. 'And I really can't go with?'

Esme shook her head firmly, still adamant it was safer. Elenore had skills. She would just get caught or act as a beacon for the Hunters.

Elenore scowled and Esme was worried she was going to rebel and just come anyway but Fox managed to stamp that out quickly. He gripped her shoulder and smiled.

'Stay put. We'll get through this.'

Elenore huffed again but nodded her head grudgingly. 'Then let's get you two out of here.'
Esme bounded from the bed and eagerly waited next to the door, tilted her head at the sounds below. The Dusklight was alive with life. Music, laughing and conversations drifted up from two floors below, indicating that the Dusklight was in full swing.

'Absolon not back yet?' Fox murmured as Elenore slipped out of her room to check the hallway.

Esme shook her head and tried to ignore the worry. She had expected him back by now. Was he struggling to find River Oak? If so, that was a sign she was trapped somewhere and wasn't going to be able to give Esme a hand in getting into the Spirit Paths.

Esme had no time to fret however as Elenore hissed for them to come out. Esme slipped through the crack as it widened at stayed close to Elenore. She glanced up and down the expensive hall of oak and ivory, tilting her head curiously to the sounds surrounding her.

'Keep out of sight.' Elenore said firmly.

Esme did so. She followed Elenore's expensive shoes and constantly tired to pick up any threatening sounds amongst the hub-bub downstairs and the harsh clicking of the heels. Fox was silent, despite the pack he carried, and Elenore guided them out the back way without too many questions. No one seemed to mind Fox and in fact cooed over him, ruffling his hair, hugging him and caressing his cheek and Esme always managed to find a table or chair to slink under, watching with yellow eyes for the courtesan to move on.

Elenore closed the gate leading into the oddly immaculate alley of the Dusklight and gave Fox on last embrace.

'See you in a bit.' Fox said, smiling confidently. Esme knew he was putting on a front. She could sense his anxiety and picked up how stiffly he stood.

'Don't die.'

'Don't intend to.'

Elenore nodded and waved as Fox turned to lope up the alley. Esme flicked her ears. Despite not being on friendly terms with the whore and knowing Elenore was only helping due to the blackmail, Esme still wanted to thank her for her help. Her foxy mouth and vocal cords wouldn't allow anymore than a yip however.

Elenore scowled haughtily at the noise. 'Get gone.'

Esme tilted her head, huffing slightly and instantly regretting trying to say thank you, then turned to slink after Fox. Esme gave Elenore one last glance before she left the alley, letting the brick walls obscure her from view. She wondered if she would ever see Elenore again.

Now in the open, Esme found her heart beginning to pound. The road was now alive with music, merriment and her eyes stung from all the yellow lights spilling out of windows and form lampposts. Already there were drunkards stumbling about but most were sober, fully aware of their surroundings as the moved in groups from club to bar.

Despite feeling the gentle, comforting pouncing of the pouch against her fur, she was nervous she was going to be found. They had a long journey and one Fox couldn't cut down by car. No sane taxi driver was going to allow a wild animal into the backseat.

'Keep up Dupont. And stick to the shadows.' Fox hissed as he made his way down the vibrant street.

Esme did her best but it was difficult with so many people about and so many buildings brimming with lights. It gave her little shadow to hide in.

She kept up though. Somehow. He took her down backalleys, evading areas with massive crowds or huge roads filled with cars to cross. Sometimes they turned and went back where they came from when a man in white was a spotted. Whenever she saw a Hunter, Esme froze. Fear engulfed her as she gazed at the familiar white robes and insignia. Fox would always hiss at her, pulling her out of her terror and urgently getting her to follow him. Not once did a Hunter recognise her though and give chase. The stone nestled in the pouch was doing its job.

Before long they reached the sparse woods surrounding the main body of the River Oak, the beginning of the Everwood.

'I need a break.' Fox said and collapsed in a bundle of roots and leant his head against the bark.

Esme didn't blame him. Her own muscles sang from over use and her nerves were highly strung from the Hunters they spotted and the fear that weighed on her heavily. Having a moment to breathe was an appealing idea.

She nestled nearby to Fox, curling up in the long grass as she listened. The sounds were softer here, more appealing. She hadn't realised how noisy the city was until now. The echoes of cars, people, beasts and life had left a strange ringing in her ears but out here, it was soothing. There were no artificial sounds, just the cries of owls and fellow foxes, the evening birdsong, the rustling of movement and the chorus of summer bugs. It all mingled in the air to morph into a calming orchestra.

Esme closed her eyes and listened, tilting her head to focus on particular sounds. Soon her muscles no longer hummed and her heart began to beat normally. She was relaxed again.

Her ears twitched when a new sound drew close. It was a familiar whistling and the grass didn't rustle once from footsteps. She smiled inwardly and, when she opened her golden eyes, Absolon was in front of her, drifting aimlessly and waving.

'Is River Oak okay?'

The song that left him was positive and joyful. She was well.

'Will she help me one last time?'

Again, he confirmed it with a small chirp.

'Is everything fine?' Fox asked from his next of uncomfortable roots.

Esme tilted her head at him, noticing his curiosity and how tense he was now, as if he was anticipating he needed to run.

Esme bowed her head and Fox sighed, slumped back against the thick old oak.

'Ask it if there are Hunters out here.'

She felt it was a silly question to ask Absolon. Of course there were going to be Hunters out here, it was the last place she was seen, but she asked anyway. Absolon whistled in confirmation, shuddering a little and popping out of existence in fear. She frowned. While she wasn't surprised Absolon was scared of the Hunters, it wasn't comforting. It meant his shields weren't going to be strong enough to keep their magic at bay.

Esme flinched, curling up and lowering her body slightly, when Fox suddenly hauled himself to his feet and brushed off the damp dirt.

'We should get goin'.' He said. 'That shape should keep you hidden well enough, the Hunters in town didn't seem to notice you. I have my own ways to hide.'

Esme tilted her head as he pulled up his sleeve, showing a strange glove. She snuffed the air and stepped closer in curiosity as he fiddled with some kind of dial on the back. Then, in a blink of an eye, he was gone.

She stiffened and her ears flicked up in panic. She couldn't see Fox at all and she sense magic humming about her now, magic she didn't see coming.

'Where has he gone?' She demanded of Absolon. Had she been duped? Had Elenore and Fox plotted against her blackmail?

But a laughter filtered through the air as Absolon continued to dance about where Fox had last been seen and didn't drift off as she expected.

'I'm still here, Dupont.' He said and came back into view, standing exactly where he was before.

Esme tilted her head in confusion. How had he vanished? He wasn't a Wizard and he'd used no spell but the glove still wafted magic. She wanted to know and ask more about it, to hold it and try it out herself but, again, all she managed was a small nonsensical yip.

Fox flexed his hands in the gloves and readjusted the clasps. 'This is my magic. Doe made it for me. I can keep myself hidden for a while.' He grinned proudly, knowing full well she was impressed. 'Shall we go?'

Despite eager questions burning in the pit of her stomach, she desire to ask died. The smug grin on his face, the glimmer of egotistical in his green eyes rubbed her the wrong way. He was fully aware she didn't know how he vanished and was wanting to know how a mundane human managed to use such high class magic with ease. He enjoyed that he knew something about magic a high-end Wizard did not.

So instead Esme hopped ahead without another attempt at speaking, no longer wanting to give him the satisfaction of her dumbfounded expression or knowing she was fascinated to know how he did it. It suddenly made the Fingers less of an enigma to her. If the Fingers had this strange magical technology, no wonder they could vanish without a trace and easily filch the most guarded objects. Her hopes rose a little that Fox could get her to Granite Tower while Hunters hounded them.

'Guide the way Dupont. I don't know where we go now.'

Fox stepped ahead and listened to her surroundings. Amongst the wind, birds and evening beasts crying, she could hear the distant sound of the River Oak directly in front of her. They had to go there first. River Oak could help them getting to the mouth of the Spirit Paths.

She paused however. She turned to look back at Lakeside, at its maze of lights and deafening sounds of life. She's only ever left Lakeside once with Cassandra. Before then she'd lived in her home country but couldn't recall much of it, just the cold and snowy winters. She suddenly felt out of her depth. She didn't know the lands beyond Lakeside. Nothing would be familiar and she'd have no friends. She turned to Fox and stared at him, gazing at his confident features, bold eyes and vibrant air. That was why she had him. He'd help her where she'd otherwise be lost. She could do this.

Esme yapped at Fox, making him jump and scowl, before she tore off into the undergrowth. She bounded over rocks and roots, flew though long wild grass covered in dew and scrabbled between dozens of rabbit holes as she drew deeper and deeper into the outskirts of the Everwood's territory. Now and then she'd stop to see if Fox was following and wasn't surprised to see him. Absolon tinkled behind her, marking Esme's position for him, but the only signs of his presence was the dim hum of magic and the crunching of the twigs covering the uneven ground.

Before long she came to a sudden stop. The river was now before her, angry and loud as always. Her black paws sunk into the muddy banks, making her cringe a little from the dirty feeling. She waited patiently for Fox to turn up before she called to Oak. Eventually he turned up, huffing and panting and leaning against the nearby willow that had its tendrils tugged by the river's current.

'Go quick don't you.' Fox heaved as he sat heavily in the earth with no care for his clothes. 'Slower next time. I'm not nimble like you.'

Esme smiled inwardly. This curse had its uses sometimes. Loping about in the undergrowth certainly was easier than when she had two feet.

'Absolon.' She called. Her Sprite popped up before her, tingling gently. 'Are there Hunters nearby?'

He instantly pointed east.

'How far?'

He shrunk a little. She took it that meant not far. Best to get this bit over with.

'River Oak! I am back. Are you safe?'

A few moments passed before the Spirit of the River Oak finally responded. The surging water no longer went down hill and began to circle instead as Oak grew from its surface. She arched over to Esme, her great yellow eyes glimmering with as much joy as a Spirit could muster.

'The Bloxham Sprite is well. This one is glad.' River Oak murmured with relief.

'I am thanks to you and Tranquil. I hope you weren't hurt.'

'For now, no. The liar of the Ivory Tower, she claims she does not wish to hurt us. She claims she wants to help us. I sensed no lies, she spoke truth.'

Esme scrunched up her nose. Suellen wanted to help the Spirits but end the Ivory Tower? Nothing made sense.

'Do not fret, Bloxham Sprite. This one and Tranquil will be safe.' She said comfortingly as she slunk forward, letting her face level with Esme's. 'The Bloxham Sprite. She is leaving.'

Esme nodded. 'Lithgow. He will help me. He will reveal the lies and then I'll come back.'

'This one cannot read the future but hopes she is right.'

Esme hoped she was right too. Never seeing Lakeside again, never stepping inside the Ivory Tower, was gut wrenching.

'I'll come back but I just need one last thing of you.'

'Speak it shall be.'

'The Spirit Paths. Can I still walk them?'

River Oak smiled, parting her full lips. 'The Everwood's arms are open to the Bloxham Sprite. Walk the Paths and she'll be safe in them.'

'Then I shall leave you.'

'This one will guide. The first path touches my waters and Hunters of the Ivory Tower still roam.' She paused for a moment, alert as she gaze snapped to the east. 'One comes this way. It sensed this one's presence.' She slipped back into the water, her body losing substance. 'Come. Hurry.'

Like a giant snake, River Oak slipped up stream, easily pushing against the river's natural current. Esme turned to Fox, who was sitting quite still and happily relaxing, and latched onto his boot, tugging him urgently. He was focused in an instant and scowling.

'Off the boots Dupont!' He snapped, waving her away.

She stayed close, yapping at him to hurry up while she nervously glanced east. How far was the Hunter? How quickly was he moving? It was scary not knowing but Fox got the hint from her urgency. He was on his feet and tweaking his glove, turning himself invisible, letting Esme hurry along side the bank and stop fussing over him.

The entrance was not far upstream. It was the one she used often, the one she knew the positioning of off by heart. It was beside a pair of willow, both equally ancient as the other, and where the river bowed inwards at its thinnest.

Esme stopped at the bank and stared. It had been a while since she roamed the Spirit Paths but she was confident she wouldn't get lost. Fox flashed into existence beside her and gazed with less certainty.

'This it?'

Esme bobbed her head.

'Doesn't look like much.' He said as he rubbed the back of his neck.

Esme gazed at him, wanting to ask exactly what he expected, but remembered she couldn't. It frustrated her a little in that moment that she could really only say yes or no.

River Oak slipped out of the water and waved her hand between the two wrinkled trunks elegantly.

'Here. Enter. The Everwood has granted the Bloxham Sprite and her companions safe passage.'

'Thank you River Oak.'

River Oak smiled. 'Anything for the Sprite of the Bloxham Spirit.' She slithered over to Esme and touched the whistle nestled in Esme's fur. 'Keep safe. The whistle will call for aid amongst this one's kind.'

'I will.' Esme promised.

Oak smiled briefly then turned to gaze east again. 'This one will go see to the Hunter. Do not linger.'

'I won't.' Esme promised as she quietly said goodbye to the River Spirit that had protected her since Cassandra's death.

River Oak melted into the water and vanished, leaving only a strange swirl in the current that was rapidly swept up and corrected. Esme felt sad at the sight and quite alone with the Spirit there. All her life she had had a guiding hand, now she had none.

'No time to feel sorry for myself.' Esme reminded herself.

'What do we do to enter?' Fox asked as he hunkered down beside her, gazing curiously at the gap between the two trees. 'Can't see any Spirit Path.'

Esme sighed in despair. He really had no idea and she desperately wanted to explain it all but couldn't. Instead she would have to show him.

'Absolon, I'll meet you on the other side.'

Absolon whistled and twirled before popping out of existence in a shower of glittering sparks, taking Fox's main light source with him.

Esme backed up a few steps, gauging the length her jump needed.

Fox watched with concern. 'Hey, what are you doin'? Not jumpin' are you? It's a big gap.'

One she had to make and one she made before. If the Spirit Path accepted you, you would be carried over. If not, you would either fall into the rushing waters or land on the otherside of the banks and that's it.

She wriggled her behind, squishing her paws into the earth to get a decent grip. Her eyes flickered to Fox, quietly demanding he watch carefully.

'We jump that and we get we is wet.' Fox said firmly.

She huffed and, before he could utter another word, bolted. In a few bounds she was at the edge of the bank, teetering into the river. Her leg muscles bunched up and propelled her forward with ease, letting her sail across the wide river. Halfway through the arch, she felt it. The familiar warmth, the whispering and gentle grip around her body. The Spirit Path was pulling her in.

She landed with a soft thud on the other side of the bank. It appeared the same, it night and the birds still sang however their were differences. The place was as light as early evening with a blue haze to it, and the humidity had gone, leaving behind a nice cool breeze. The scents were stronger here and news sounds drifted on the wind, the singles and laughter of the Sprites that roamed. The biggest difference were the glowing lights that danced above the grass, brushing by as they drifted aimlessly about. There were hundreds of them, scattered about like the stars in the inky sky above.

Absolon welcomed her with a jingle and twirl. He glowed brightly here and had more substance. Even Sprites were stronger here in their own planes.

Esme hopped to the side of the trees as she gazed about the Spirit Path, recalling times Cassandra took her on walks here and the Everwood would carry her on his back. She liked those memories.

Her absent thoughts were popped rudely by a harsh cry and Fox barrelling into existence. He landed awkwardly and was forced into a roll, forcing her to flee from his body. He landed on his back, breathing heavily in the long grass.

'Are we in?' He demanded as Esme trotted to his side.

She bowed her head and he heaved a sigh of relief as he sat up.

'Good. Now keep us alive in here.' He paused as he scowled about nervously, taking in the blue haze and floating lights. 'This place is creepy.'

Esme was tempted to nip him for the commented but all thoughts fled when something came plodding out of the darkness. Fox was instantly on his knees, keeping close to Esme with his odd magical gloves armed, but Esme felt calm and collected, overjoyed even.

Out of the trees a massive beast came. It was a grey wolf the size of a cart horse and dusted in leaves and vines. His blue eyes stared like flames and his muscles showed off his elegant strength with ease but his aura was soothing, his demeanour relaxed and lazy.

'Welcome Bloxham Sprite and thief Fox to the Everwood Paths.' The wolf said in a deep and rumbling voice.

Inside she was grinning and bounced on the spot with glee while Fox glared on in uncertainty.

'Who is this Dupont? Is it a threat?' He hissed as he hunkered down with his gloves flexing.

Of course he was safe, she wanted to cry and yipped and purred instead. It was the Everwood Spirit, the great wolf of the forest.

Fox slowly figured out that the giant wolf wasn't going to gouge him to death when Absolon nestled on the great back and Esme bounded up to nuzzle his nose with her own. He relaxed but only a little.

'We are only passing, Everwood. We cannot stay.' Esme said sadly.

'This one is aware and so is he.'

Esme paused in her excitement. 'He? Who is he?'

'Come. This one will show the Bloxham Sprite. He wishes to meet her.'

The massive hulk of the wolf slowly turned as he plodded off into the tree with Absolon still clinging to his back, leaving behind sprouting flowers in his wake.

'Dupont. Do we follow?' Fox asked cautiously.

She bowed her head slowly, confused.

'Where is it taking us?'

Despite not being able to talk, she couldn't answer. She loped on ahead, yapping for Fox to follow and stay close, as curiosity grew about who exactly was waiting for her in the depths of the Everwood Spirit Paths.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next week will be the end of the first part of three for this story. I will take a one week break to focus on a publishing project and edit it and then be back.
Hope you are enjoying it so far, my handful of readers.