Vulpine Summer

Chapter Twenty-Four

Fox woke with a start the moment the van stopped moved and the engine died. He sighed heavily and rolled onto his side. He didn’t want to move. Turning that coil until the engine sputtered to life in the summer heat was a pain.

‘You do it, Dupont. Done it four times now.’

Dupont glanced at him but nodded in agreement. She shuffled forward and was about to open the back of the van until it was done for her.

Light spilled and Cuckoo smiled. ‘We’re here now. Time to get out.’

Fox sat up. ‘We are?’

Cuckoo nodded then vanished again.

Dupont was out first. She hopped down and pulled her bag after her, calling at Absolon to wake up. He did so slowly and drifted out into the summer air. Fox didn’t want to move however. The little fans and tiny windows had kept him cool, despite being in a massive metal box. There was no wind and no clouds outside, just endless sunshine and warmth. But he had to get out. They had to keep moving.

Unhappy, Fox pushed himself out of Cuckoo’s van and came to stand beside Dupont. He glanced at her, eyeing her features. The damage done to the spell seemed to have fixed itself. She no longer looked like a bizarre mix of people and her hair was golden and short again. Oddly though, being reminded of her original eye colour, he missed it. The blue was weak and dull and not nearly as vibrant as her natural honey colour.

Dupont took her eyes of her new surroundings and looked at him, her gaze questioning. Fox flushed a little, realising what he was thinking, and quickly shrugged and turned away to focus on Gyle. It was a small village and he currently sat in the heart; a cluster of shops of houses surrounding a large stone carving of winged horse. Picturesque bungalows and detached housed sat within their own lot of carefully cared for gardens and picket fences. Lanes squirmed off in different directions, each with their own set of houses and ending with fields and farms. Gyle was quiet and pretty but boring. Most of the people here were farmers and the elderly so there wasn’t much in the way of entertainment, not like Lakeside. Fox had always disliked Gyle.

‘I’m sorry I can’t take you further but I can’t leave Clockton without leave.’ Cuckoo said as he came to stand beside the pair.

Fox shrugged. Cuckoo was the Fence in Clockton. Leaving randomly for more than day could prove very troublesome for the Fingers, especially for the Doe who was the largest Fence in the area. ‘Doesn’t matter.’

Cuckoo still looked a little upset with himself. ‘Get yourself a lift with someone. Farmers go by often. Pay them and they’ll take you where you want to go.’ He smiled. ‘There won’t be many Wizards around here, maybe one at most, but still, keep cautious.’

‘We truly cannot use public transport?’ Dupont asked softly as Absolon settled on her head.

‘No. Not yet. The further away from Lakeside you get, the more likely you’ll be able to take short trips. But you’re still too close to Lakeside. The transport systems are watched.’ Cuckoo said.

Dupont sighed miserably but didn’t argue. She seemed to really not like the idea of hitchhiking.

‘Got to get used to it, Dupont.’ Fox said, slapping her back.

Dupont stumbled a little at the impact and scowled a little.

‘I’ll get back to Clockton. Good luck you two and don’t die.’ He said and gave Dupont a brief embrace.

Fox stiffened at sign of friendliness from Cuckoo. He hadn’t lied the other night. He really did trust Dupont.

Well I don’t, he thought stubbornly.

In a few minutes, Fox was watching the old van clatter away, bouncing along the cobbled lane until it vanished behind a bungalow and series of oak trees. Fox was now left alone again with Esme Dupont, something he didn’t really enjoy.

Sighing, Fox turned around and headed deeper into the village heart. Dupont trailed after him, sticking to him like a shadow diligently.

‘Goin’ to the other side. Might find a quiet spot to hitchhike.’ He murmured.

Travelling through Gyle was simple enough. There weren’t many people, cars seemed to be in greater number as they flew through the village without stopping. Policemen were often sleeping in the summer sun or drifting by without much purpose. The White Wizards remained out of sight.

Dupont’s stomach growled as they moved by the bakeries and cafes. Fox’s own churned, but not that strongly, he was used to going without food, but he couldn’t ignore the constant gurgling behind him. He stopped for food but made it out that he was only eating for himself, not for Dupont. Building a bridge of friendship was not going to do any good, especially with Cuckoo’s words rumbling about his head and his own doubts of Dupont’s killing.

Keep her distant, he reminded himself as he handed her a stuffed baguette. He didn’t like how her eyes lit up and how happy she looked at the food, how she thanked him. It made his doubt grow stronger.

Fox tore onwards, filling his own stomach with some savoury sweets.

‘You need something better than that.’ Dupont said behind him.

‘My money, I eat what I want.’ Fox said firmly.

Dupont tutted but said nothing else.

Soon they reached the other side of Gyle where the road grew narrower as they slinked off into the wooded heaths and hills. Few houses stood here and the ones that did had massive lawns marked by fences and kept out the wilderness with sheers and lawnmowers.

They stopped by the road and Fox herded Dupont to sit amongst the trees, hiding herself a little, while he stood on the verge and held his thumb out. Ten cars passed by and not one stopped. This was going to take a while.

Dupont was quiet at first, finishing off her meal and sharing it with Absolon. The bird song filled the air and the distant shouts of dogs and lawnmowers mingled with it, only breaking when a car roared by.

‘Who is Warbler?’ Dupont asked just as Fox hunkered down. He was incredibly bored.

‘Huh?’ Fox muttered as he woke himself up a little.

‘Warbler. Who is he? What’s he like?’

‘A Fence, like Doe and Cuckoo. He’s a doctor too.’

Dupont looked taken aback. ‘A doctor? But he’s a criminal. How can he be a doctor?’

‘We aint’ criminals. We’re a Guild.’

‘You break into people’s houses and steal things.’

‘Things people want stolen and made to go missin’. That Eye you’re happily blackmailin’ me with; I’m returnin’ it to the original owner. He has the other three but the forth went missing years back. Someone obviously swiped it and we’re returnin’ it.’

Dupont had her higher-than-thou stubborn look to her, the one that always annoyed him.

‘You stole it which makes you a criminal.’

‘We’re a Guild. We’re workers. We have rules. No random swiping, only contracts and-’ He stopped when Dupont’s expression grew increasingly un-impressed.

‘Organised crime still makes you a criminal.’ She said.

‘Whatever.’ Fox grumbled and rubbed his face, deciding to change the subject quickly before they started a full-on argument. ‘Warbler is a doctor and a good one.’ Dupont clearly thought otherwise. He ignored the urge to fight her. ‘We’re goin’ to him. He’s someone who’ll help us like Cuckoo, although not everyone will. Don’t trust everyone in the Fingers.’

‘Cuckoo already warned me of that.’

‘Then I’m remindin’ you. Only talk to people I tell you to. You were lucky Cuckoo was one we could trust.’

Dupont blushed a little. ‘I know. I did not mean to make such a mistake.’

‘Don’t do it again.’ Fox mumbled.

He sighed as Dupont finally fell silent. His arm ached already and still no cars stop. The heat of summer was wearing him down, making him want to just sleep here.

‘Who’s that?’ Dupont said, breaking his descent into sleep.

Fox grunted and opened his eyes, glancing up at the road leading into the village. Someone was walking towards them. Someone with intent in their steps. Someone familiar.

Fox gaped at first before he started to panic. It was him! That man back in Clockton! How the hell did he follow them? He’d seen no car trailing after them at all and he checked whenever he was awake. Cuckoo wasn’t stupid either.

Fox was on his feet and toying with the gloves covering his arms beneath his grubby shirt. Dupont watched him and tensed up.

‘Isn’t that the man from Clockton?’ She said slowly.

‘Yeah.’

‘He’s followed us.’

‘Yeah.’ He had. He followed them. The man was dogged.

Fox stepped forward, smiling warmly while his eyes gazed at the stranger. He wore pretty much the same outfit as before and his eyes were still covered by black sunglasses.

‘Can I help you, sir?’ Fox asked.

‘Yes.’ The stranger spoke. ‘I’ve come for Esme Antonette Dupont.’

Fox switched his gloves, activating the sleep spell. ‘Who she?’

The man’s face turned in the direction of Dupont. Absolon chirped in warning as Esme stood warily, preparing to run. ‘Her. Her magic and Sprite are there.’ He inhaled deeply. ‘I can smell them stronger than ever.’

Fox stared at the man. He was insane. How could he smell magic? It didn’t matter. What mattered was he pointed out Esme Dupont for who she was.

‘Who are you?’ Fox asked.

‘My name is Sodden. A pleasure to meet you.’ He smiled.

Well at least he’s polite, Fox thought snidely.

‘Now, please let me have Esme Dupont. The Ivory Tower wishes her to return home.’

Fox didn’t say a word. He just leapt forward and smashed his fist into Sodden’s gut, making him double over in surprise, before grasping his face. The sleep spell was working, he knew it was, the familiar light glowing up and down his gloves was the sign, but Sodden didn’t fall asleep.

Surprised, Fox was shoved backwards as Sodden stood awkwardly, swaying as he tried to remain awake. He ripped off his glasses, revealing his eyes. Fox was stunned for a moment. They were milky and white, completely congealed and dead. Sodden was blind.

What the hell’s goin’ on, Fox thought desperately.

First Sodden resisted the sleep spell and now it turns out he was blind. A blind man had hunted them and found them.

Sodden chucked aside his glasses and reached for something in his jacket, pulling out a bone white whistle. He raised it to his mouth and Dupont was on her feet, grasping Absolon protectively.

‘Don’t let him play it!’ Dupont shouted desperately as Absolon hummed angrily.

Fox didn’t understand why but he wasn’t going to ignore the Wizard who seemed to know what was going on. Changing the sleep spell to his lightning, Fox darted forward and arrested Sodden’s wrists, yanking the whistle away from his mouth and gripping tightly. Electricity surged from the gloves and barrelled into Sodden, causing him to shudder and cry out. This time Sodden couldn’t resist. His body buckled and he fell unconscious, collapsing onto the dry earth.

Fox’s chest heaved as he stared down at the sleeping body of Sodden. He was shaken and utterly confused.

‘Dupont. What the hell happened?’ He hissed.

Dupont edged closer to Fox and Sodden, clearly upset. She was shaking and her face had paled significantly. She was terrified.

Fox watched her as she, very cautiously, picked up the whistle. She gazed at it before trying to snap it in half. When that didn’t work, she chucked it as far as she could into the bushes, then took several long steps back. She reached out for Absolon and cuddled him tightly.

‘Dupont.’ She glanced up at him, her eyes wide and frightened. ‘What is he?’

‘A Witch.’ Dupont stammered. ‘Specifically, a Witch-trapper. He can sniff out specific magic and Spirits.’

‘So he found you because he could smell you?’

‘Yes and Absolon.’ She said sadly and jiggled the Sprite. ‘He cannot see me but he doesn’t need to see me. He knows who I am by the scent of my magic and can sense his surroundings.’

‘I don’t have magic though.’

‘You have Absolon’s scent on you and he’s always been known to never leave my side for long. The Tower knows this.’

Suddenly the dogged nature made sense. No wonder Sodden was so difficult to lose in Clockton. He was following the scent of the bloody Sprite.

‘Can’t a Wizard do that?’

‘No. It is a witch skill.’

‘And the whistle?’

‘He was going to call to a Spirit tied to him. If that happened, Gyle would have been in danger, not just me. Witch magic is chaotic and uncontrollable. They do not have the control a Wizard does but their magic is often stronger because of it.’

‘So what do we do? Kill him?’ Fox asked as he kicked at Sodden’s side. ‘He’s going to find us again.’

‘We do not kill him.’ Dupont said firmly.

‘He’s sniffin’ you and Absolon out. He’s goin’ to pop up again and I won’t get the jump on him this time. He knows I can do magic.’

‘We do not kill. I refuse to. My aunt died and she is the only fatality that will happen in this mess.’

Fox wasn’t comfortable with it. Knowing he was being hunted by a man who didn’t need to see was bad. He couldn’t hide from him. There was no way to.

‘This is a bad choice.’ Fox said sharply.

‘Are you a murderer?’ Dupont asked. Fox was silent, recalling the laws of the Guild. He also knew he didn’t have it in himself to do it. Just beating someone often was too much for him. ‘Then do not start today. Leave him. Let us get away from here as fast as we can. We just need to keep ahead.’

Fox wasn’t so sure that would be enough. Sodden was a Witch and it meant he had powerful and inhuman friends. He could walk through Spirit-Paths and Fox doubted he needed a car to transport himself about the country.

Esme already had her pack about her shoulder while trying to keep Absolon from covering her face. He was obviously upset as he clung to her head, unwilling to let her go.

‘Let’s go.’ She glanced at a passing car. ‘Before someone realises that Sodden is not a friend having a nap.’

Fox’s gut screamed this was the wrong choice. Sodden had to die. He was too dangerous. But he lacked the backbone to go through with it, so instead Fox hurried after Dupont before taking the lead, sticking out his thumb as they hurried along the road. Before long, a farmer stopped and they hopped into the back of his trailer filled with hay.

As Gyle grew smaller and smaller, Fox watched anxiously. Sodden was going to turn up again. He just hoped he could survive again.