Vulpine Summer

Chapter Twenty-Five

The farmer was kind, Esme found. He’d offer them food when he stopped and continued to let them sit in his trailer for an hour or so until eventually they went separate ways. Esme hated waiting on the side of the road, settled beneath a tree that marked the junction between the highway and the small country lane, hoping someone would be kind enough to pick them up. Not only did it make her feel incredibly small and not at all like the class she was but she was scared. She kept glancing down the road that roared with traffic, half expecting the blind Sodden to turn up.

She hadn’t expected Sodden. A Witch-trapper. It was the worst bounty hunter that could’ve been sent; even worse than the White Hunter Wizards of the Towers. Witch-Trappers were made blind so they could see things others could not. They saw through their ears and nose and their sensitives to magic grew, making them the perfect hunters of magic. And one was sent after her. There was no running from him. He was going to find her. She just didn’t know when and what was worse was she didn’t know how much of a threat he was. He had several whistles, she knew. She spotted at least ten when he pulled one out. Some looked complicated but she didn’t know what indicated towards the power of the being attached to it, not like a Wizard’s nets. She didn’t know what he was capable of and if he didn’t need a car to traverse great distances. He could pop up in front of them. He could turn up while she slept. It made her curl up tighter in fear beneath the trees far reaching branches.

Fox seemed to give up ignoring her. He had firmly planted his back to her so he could stick his thumb out and wave down a vehicle with little success and didn’t speak or acknowledge her but hearing her sigh miserably caused him to glance at her. Seeing her curled up as small as possible broke his silence.

‘Curlin’ up like that gives you away. No man does that.’ He chided.

Esme glanced at him with sad blue eyes. ‘We are not going to get the Granite Tower. Not with Sodden hunting us.’

Fox looked decidedly annoyed. ‘Then give me my Eye and let me go.’

Esme stiffened and snatched Absolon from the air. ‘No.’

‘You said we’re not getting’ to the Tower so give me my Eye.’ His eyes narrowed, making her bristle.

‘I am not giving it up.’

‘Then shut up. We’re gettin’ to the Tower.’ He snapped and turned his attention back to the road.

Esme stared at his back, scowling at first at his tone before she settled slowly. She realised he was trying to get her to focus and not fall into despair. He hadn’t given up yet. She shouldn’t either.

Esme uncurled herself and let Absolon drift back into the summer breeze. The Witch-Trapper was a problem but one she had to overcome. She couldn’t let him catch her. Her aunt relied on her to succeed.

She raised her chin and replaced the sorry expression on her face. There was a long way to go yet so she had to keep strong. She had to reach the Granite Tower.

*

Fox managed to thumb them a lift with a truck driver carrying a load of wood in the back trailer after some time. They had to sit in the front compartment, something Esme didn’t enjoy at all. The man smoked endlessly, making the already stinking car reek even more. She also didn’t like how he smiled and glanced at her and constantly commented on how pretty a boy she was. Fox seemed to not like him either and kept himself between her and the driver.

Esme focused on the open window with Absolon singing on her lap, breathing in the fresh air and listening to the sounds of summer bugs, birds and the bleating of sheep that echoed from the rolling fields, meadows and farms cut up by fences and streams. The sounds turned into blackbirds and rooks as the sun began to sink along the skyline, staining the clouds pink and orange. It was a pretty sight and kept her mind off Sodden and the creepy driver that constantly tried to strike up conversations with her.

Eventually the farms died and were slowly replaced by houses and roads and a thick river that sloshed over rocks and under bridges. Thick hills rose here and had holes and roads carved into their faces. To the east she could see the lights a massive city rivalling even Lakeside’s size. Havern, Esme guessed, which meant the belching town in front of them had to be Alton.

Alton was not a pretty place, not like Clockton with its quiet lanes and polished houses, and the gathering night couldn’t cover its ugliness. The town was a working place and factories were clustered together, creating a smog in the air that tainted the clean air. Houses leant on one another, filled with more people they could hold, with soot stained walls and grubby windows. What few people were out, drunk or otherwise, were obviously poor, dressed in rags and worn clothes, and their faces were weathered and dirty.

The truck eventually stopped at a junction between a road leading into one of several factory and warehousing districts and another leading down a street of some of the poorest housing Esme had seen since Fox’s ‘house’.

‘End of the line.’ The driver said and gave Esme a longing and rather uncomfortable glance.

Fox smiled stiffly and nudged Esme to get out. She gladly did but not before the driver asked for a kiss in payment. Esme ignored him and Fox tossed some money and hopped out, telling the driver to leave Esme alone in the least friendliest language. Luckily the driver didn’t make a fuss and drove off as soon as the door shut.

Esme held herself as the truck hissed away while Absolon drifted to clutch at her hair protectively and Fox spat.

‘Creeps like him are the worst. If I weren’t there he would’ve done somethin’, I know it.’

Esme knew that was true and the worst thing was that the driver believed she was a teenaged boy, not an adult woman. And that wasn’t going to be the last time she had to hitchhiker with strangers. Suddenly she was very glad she had Fox with her. He seemed to know how to handle people.

Fox sniffed and rubbed his nose on his sleeve. ‘Warbler is a bit far and I don’t wanna risk travelling about in the night without knowing good paths so we’ll go to a friend. He can give us a place to stay.’

He set off without warning, heading up the street with lampposts barely keeping the darkness away with its weak orange light. Esme hurried after him with Absolon trailing after her like a lost balloon.

Fox hadn’t lied, his friend’s house wasn’t far at all. They travelled down a few streets, each as poor, decrepit and unkempt as the last with a few drunkards and homeless dotted about. Despite the doors being shut and the roads virtually empty, the sounds of crying children, arguing adults, noisy merrymakers and baying dogs filled the streets. Alton was alive despite looking so empty.

Fox hurried on without speaking. He was tense, she could tell. His shoulders were hunched forward and he kept pausing to glance down darkened alleys and peer back from where they had come. She knew what though. Despite no sighting of the White Wizards, something worse was on their trial.

Eventually he came to a stop and peered up at a corner house. It appeared to be an apartment block and was eaten alive by vine creepers and rot. Fox wordlessly waved at her to follow. Despite not liking the appearance and wondering if it was safe to be inside, Esme obeyed.

She stepped into the reception floor and instantly blanched. Mildew covered the walls, causing the wallpaper to peel off and rot, dropping on top of the mail boxes while dirt covered the unnaturally black wooden floors. The stench was strong in here; rotten wood, must, mould and dog filled her nose instantly. It made her stomach turn. Fox however didn’t seem to notice and barrelled onwards, moving up the creaking old stairs without pause.

Pulling Absolon to her chest to prevent him from touching the fragile, decaying walls, Esme followed with her breath held.

Up the stairs they went, passed rooms where children bayed and couples argued or loved, until they reached the third floor. Here Fox took her down to the second room and whirled on her, snapping his green eyes onto her face intensely.

‘Keep your mouth zipped.’ He glanced about at Absolon’s content twirling. ‘Can he…vanish? Don’t want people knowing about him.’

Esme gently rubbed Absolon’s belly. ‘Become the wind Absolon.’

He giggled merrily and did as was asked; instantly becoming invisible. Fox seemed happy and, as soon as he pulled his fingers over his mouth, mimicking a zipping motions, he turned to the door and knocked several times. The response wasn’t instant. There was crashing about inside and shouting before it clicked and was yanked open.

Before them stood a tall man, similar in age to Fox. He wasn’t too unnatractive but his beaky nose ruined his features for Esme.

‘Billy.’ Fox said.

Billy seemed to take a moment to figure out who was standing before him. As soon as he did, he grinned and opened his arms wides to pull Fox into a hug.

‘Foxy!’ He said warmly. ‘What you doin’ in Alton?’

Fox was grinning. It made his face glow, Esme noticed. His green eyes just lit up and small wrinkles deepened. It made her own just warm a little at the sight before she remembered who he was.

‘Stuff.’ Fox replied meaningfully. ‘Can we come in?’

‘Yeah, just don’t mind grammy. She’s…she’s tired.’ Billy said as he stepped aside.

Fox and Esme entered at Billy’s eager gesture and Esme swore Billy lived in a far worse state than Fox did. The place was a mess, covered in clothes, messy plates and cutlery and old food. The only tidy place was surrounding an old woman who sat in a rocking chair, wrapped in blankets as she stared gormlessly at the flickering old TV screen.

Billy locked the door. ‘You can talk in front of her. She don’t pay attention much anymore.’ Billy said sadly. ‘What can I do for you then Foxy?’

‘Can we bunk here tonight? Passin’ though.’

Billy grinned. ‘Doin’ a task?’

‘Yeah,’ Fox said and jabbed his thumb towards Esme. ‘Vic is an intiate too. Showin’ him how it’s done.’

A glimmer of jealously flittered over Billy’s warm features. ‘Always the trusted one. Elenore always said you were goin’ to go far.’

‘You will too. The Bull name is yours yet.’

Billy snorted. ‘Feh, I’m no good at it’ll. I’ll remain No. 79.’

Esme, feeling she was getting lost between two old friends catching up and was never going to be noticed again, quickly cleared her throat and poked Fox. When he looked at her, she gave him a meaningful look. He seemed to understand.

‘Vic’s tired. Can he sleep?’

Billy nodded and gestured to the door not far from the old woman. ‘Grammy doesn’t really use her room. You can stay in there. Just don’t open the windows. It’s hot but its better than the smoke that we get here.’

Esme bowed her head in thanks and was a little annoyed by how quickly Fox seemed to forget about her. Instantly his back was turned and he was utterly enthralled by Billy, revisiting old memories and catching up. She didn’t exist to them anymore.

Sniffing, Esme turned on her heal and stalked over to the room pointed out to her. She bowed her head towards the elderly woman who, as Billy warned, didn’t pay any attention to her. Her eyes remained fixated on the screen, smiling and laughing to herself.

Making sure Absolon was following her, Esme took herself into the old stuffy room. Like the space surrounding Billy’s grandmother, it was tidy. The bed was made, the books placed carefully in shelves with a few photos here and there. It would do, she felt.

She pulled off her boots and lay fully dressed over the covers. Absolon settled close and was instantly asleep. Esme however found it difficult. The room was hot, stank and she desperately wanted the windows open but heeded Billy’s warning and kept it closed, and she swore the walls and floors were made of paper. She could hear everything; from the snoring man to the squeaking bed above. It was all so noisy. The worst thing however was Sodden and the fear she had of being still for too long. The longer she stayed still, the higher the chances became that he’d pop up and drag her all the way back to the Ivory Tower. It made her stomach twist with fear.

He won’t, she thought to herself. And Fox was there. They could beat him together. She was safe from Sodden.

And while Esme tried to sleep and ignore the fear of the Witch-Trapper, she was completely oblivious to the threat far closer to her, sitting in the neighbouring room, smiling and laughing beside Fox.