Vulpine Summer

Chapter Thirty

Fox didn’t like being out in the streets, despite being smothered in the incense that kept Sodden from sniffing him out. His body was tense, ready to spring into action, and he couldn’t calm himself down. No matter how much of a relaxed attitude he tried to put on, his body wouldn’t follow.

He focused on Warbler instead, hoping the old thief had news of an escape. Maybe Elenore had contacted him.

Fox slipped through the thinning evening crowd. It was late and mostly the roads were empty of what decent folk lived here. Now it was the whores, drunkards and junkies that dominated the road-sides; laughing, groping and dazed.

Fox avoided the dregs, managing to slip by their grasping hands and ignored their calls to have fun. One whore was a little more determined and grasped Fox’s arm and yanked him close, squashing him against her ample breasts.

‘Come on. I’m worth the money.’ She said in what she believed was a sultry manner.

The woman wasn’t too bad looking with her unruly hair tumbling about her face, her body pleasantly plump and her narrow features making her mouth large but Dupont, with her wide eyes and bright smile, flashed in his mind’s eye, making him recoil from the whore. Suddenly he noticed how unclean she was, how her makeup was badly applied, how her eyes were too small and how desperate she was. He chose to simply unhook her arm and hurry away, telling himself it was best for his own health not to sleep with cheap, grubby whores and nothing to do with Dupont.

Soon Fox was at the back of Warbler’s clinic, glad Sodden hadn’t turned up at all but still tense. He slammed his fist on the door and waited, listening to the night life. Cars roared in the distance, foxes screeched and the odd siren blared by.

Eventually the door opened, letting the light inside spill out into the darkness. Fox winced a little and waved as the door was pulled open wider, revealing the rotund shape of Warbler. Warbler smiled broadly and stepped aside, gesturing for Fox to enter.

‘Ah, Fox. What can I do you for?’

Fox paused as he hopped up the final step.

‘Billy said you called me.’

The moment Warbler’s brow furrowed in bewilderment was the moment Fox’s chest tightened. Warbler wasn’t expecting him like Billy said.

‘I’m afraid I didn’t. Not got any news for you yet nor have I heard anything from the Doe or Elenore.’ Warbler said and his frown deepened. ‘Is Billy up to something? Playing some prank? I don’t enjoy my time being wasted.’

Fox smiled thinly while inside alarm bells were blaring. His whole body felt tight suddenly and anger was beginning to pump hotly, making his ears roar. Something was wrong.

‘Sorry for wastin’ your time, Warbler.’ He bobbed his hat and fled the clinic within seconds.

Fox was quick on his feet, darting down alleyways and dead roads. He didn’t even think about Sodden anymore. Fear of being found by the Witch was gone and his heart no longer pumped so violently from anxious dread. Instead only Dupont was on his mind, his gut wrenching from instinct. Billy was up to something; something bad.

Fox tore through town, launching himself over fences and barely avoiding being clipped by cars. His heart hammered with every step and everything around him back a blur. People, cars, roads; he didn’t pay attention to anything. All he could focus on was where he was going and the collapsing apartment block where Dupont was.

It felt like an age for that building to appear but soon Fox was throwing himself through the door and bounding up the creaking stairs two steps at a time. Instantly Fox was on the door, wriggling the handle and finding it locked.

‘Billy!’ Fox bellowed.

No one answered. Gritting his teeth, Fox pressed his ear against the door. He could hear Billy’s voice and a strange noise, like whining metal.

Fox slammed the door. ‘Billy!’

Again, nothing but Billy had fallen silent. What was he doing? He had to get in there quick.

Fox was on his knees and pulling out a couple of lockpicks, setting to work quickly. The sound of the lock being toyed with seemed to get Billy’s attention and the bizarre noise stopped.

‘Fox, go. Leave this to me.’ Billy said through the door.

‘Billy, shut up. Just open this bloody door now and stop attackin’ Dupont!’ Fox snarled.

Billy went silent and the whining began again, this time louder and with fewer intervals. Fox worked faster and soon had the door unlocked. Twisting the handle, Fox tumbled inside, his face twisted with fury the moment he realised his instincts were right.

Billy stood before his sofa, knife scraping against some kind of shield Absolon had erected. The poor sprite was shaking from fatigue as he tried to keep Billy away, signing miserably. He couldn’t see Dupont though.

‘Billy!’ Fox snarled.

Billy glanced at him for only a moment, pausing on briefly in his assault on Absolon, before he continued. He raised the knife and slammed it against the shield, pushing all of his weight down to try to break through. Absolon whimpered under the strain and his body flickered.

Fox felt his anger grow. It bubbled inside him, mixing in with the stinging pain of betrayal. Fox switched his glove on, readying it.

‘Billy, put the goddamn knife down.’ Fox snapped.

‘Why?’ Billy said, not pausing once in his attempt to wear down Absolon. ‘I’m doin’ this for you.’

‘For me?’ The words just rubbed salt in the wound and made his anger bubble into rage. ‘For me? I need Dupont alive! She’s got my bloody Eye!’

‘’S why I’m gettin’ it back.’ Billy grunted. ‘Grab the fox, wear out the Sprite, then everythin’ will be good. You get your Eye and title and won’t get blackmailed anymore. I get my money so I can buy a nice place for Grammy and me. The murderer will get shot. Everythin’ will be good.’

Fox stared at Billy’s back. His head told him this was true. If Billy wore out the Sprite enough, he wouldn’t be able to hold the Eye any longer. It would tumble free and he could leave. Dupont would then be taken by Billy who would get the money he needed. Dupont would be taken by the Tower and longer causing great stress in his otherwise peaceful life.

But Fox found himself repulsed by the thought. He found himself unable to think of chucking Dupont to the wolves, of abandoning her. He just couldn’t, not after seeing how bad her magic was and giving him doubt of her supposed magical prowess. She was going to die the moment the Tower got hold of her, regardless of guilt.

The side that Elenore warned him about, the side of moral justice and protecting damsels in distress, won over his sense of self-preservation.

‘Billy, you’re a moron.’ Fox said.

Billy paused, turning to Fox with confusion in his well-meaning eyes. ‘What? This is for the best. You get free of the bitch’s claws and I get free of this dump. All’s good.’

‘No, it’s not all good.’ Fox clenched his fist and squared his shoulders. Never in his life had he ever thought he’d fight Billy but here they were. ‘Back off.’

Billy lowered the knife, his pocked face bewildered. ‘Fox. It’s me. I ain’t goin’ to betray you. The Eye is yours. I ain’t takin’ it.’

‘Billy, your betrayin’ me now.’

‘But…you hate Dupont. She’s blackmailin’ you and usin’ you as fodder. She doesn’t care what happens to you.’

Fox knew that was true but he still couldn’t let Billy continue. He still couldn’t just abandon her.

Billy frowned. ‘She’s got into your head ain’t she. Usin’ that magic of hers.’

Dupont’s face flickered across his vision. Her large eyes, soft mouth. Fox frowned and rubbed his head.

‘No.’ He said firmly.

‘Then why’s your tune changed? You told me she was scum, the worst and you would gladly toss her aside if you could.’ Billy snapped. ‘I’m givin’ you a way out! A way to get your Eye back!’

Fox knew this and he was certain Elenore would be throttling him if she was here. But Fox just couldn’t, not when Cuckoo could be right. Not when Dupont could be being used and hung out to dry. The thought of her being shot when she was innocent just made him so irritated.

‘Just let me sort this out Billy. I know what I’m doin’.’ Fox said, hoping to get Billy to back down.

‘But we can sort this out together. Now.’

Fox had no answer. He didn’t want to say out loud of his doubt of Dupont’s guilt. He still needed to confirm it. For all he knew, Dupont could be putting on an act.

‘She’s mine, Billy. I get to decide what happens. That’s it.’

Billy brow twisted and his knife glittered. ‘And you say I’m a moron. She’s got in your head. Well, I’m not lettin’ you get in the way, Fox. I need that money!’

With a bellow, Billy turned and brought the knife down with all his might, smashing it against the bending shield. Absolon screamed and then gave out, flopping to the floor like a puddle of water while the barrier he kept up for so long shattered into dust.

Fox barrelled forward, his glove read an armed, and arrested Billy. Keeping his hand on the knife, his gloved hand slapped over Billy’s mouth. The magic activated. His old friend stood no chance. In seconds, he was asleep.

The knife clattered to the floor as Fox gently lay Billy on the floor. He slept deeply, unharmed, but Fox felt sick. This was one of his oldest friends, someone he thieved alongside in the early years before he moved. Someone who he could depend on. Even now, Billy was trying to protect Fox from Dupont and the blackmail she hung over his head. He tried to ensure Fox his title.

‘Sorry, Billy.’ Fox said softly, hoping their friendship would survive this. He wasn’t sure it would.

Fox stiffened when a red blur darted out from underneath the sofa and found a vixen curled up shaking on his lap. Dupont had her eyes closed, her ears flat, and her whole tiny body shook like a leaf.

Fox stared at her, his body stiff. He didn’t know what to do but clearly she was scared and seeking comfort from him. He said nothing while inside his head was awash in thought. Had he done the right thing? Was he being manipulated? He guessed he’d find out sooner or later. But he was certain of one thing; he was annoyed with her. If she hadn’t stumbled into his life, his relationship with Billy wouldn’t have caved in tonight. He wouldn’t be stuck in this moral predicament and choosing sides. He scowled at her.

Dupont twitched a few seconds later and suddenly scrabbled off him, her yellow eyes looking anywhere but at him, before she focused on Absolon. She snuffled the poor Sprite as he whistled sadly, exhausted.

‘We need to get out of here.’ Fox said stiffly. Fox didn’t know if Billy had alerted the police and the White Wizards. The police may not believe that Dupont was a fox but the Wizards would check it out. If he had, they wouldn’t be long.

Dupont still refused to look at him and remained focused on her loyal Sprite. Fox didn’t want to admit it, but he was worried about the glowing ball too. He’d clearly taken too much of a beating. Fox didn’t know what to do about it though other than carry him.

‘Get me the bag.’ Fox told Dupont.

Dupont was hesitant but slunk off into Billy’s grandmother’s bedroom while Fox peered at Absolon. Very gently he scooped up the sprite. He was oddly light, like he was holding cotton, and Absolon whistled softly. Glittering in his belly was the Eye, held tightly by tiny tendrils. Fox poked the belly but was met by steely resistance. Even in such an exhausted state, Absolon continued to cling onto the Eye, refusing to let it go just as Dupont asked. Fox smiled thinly. It seemed Billy’s idea wouldn’t have worked after all. Fox was still blackmailed.

The scraping sound of his pack being hauled caught his attention. Dupont was dragging it as quickly as she could, tugging it violently after her with tiny growls. Fox stood and met her half way, tucking Absolon safely inside. He whistled happily as he clipped the bag shut. Dupont snuffled the bag and waited as he hauled on his jacket and cap, pulling it firmly over his eyes.

With the bag on his back and Dupont by his side, Fox was ready to leave. He intended to go straight to Warbler’s. He’d be safe there.

With one last goodbye to Billy, he still slept peacefully, Fox stepped out into the hall, only to freeze dead in his tracks.

Standing at the end of the hall was a Wizard dressed in white. He at first paid no attention to Fox until he noticed the vixen at her feet. The Wizard’s eyes widened in surprise, sensing the curse instantly and knowing exactly what it meant. Fox’s heart plummeted. The Wizard’s eyes narrowed and his Grimoire fluttered open.

In seconds Fox had kicked Dupont back inside and slammed the door shut, pulling the bolts taught. He didn’t have long. He had to think.

Instantly Fox was at the windows, pulling them open and quickly glancing about. A rusty drain pipe trailed down the side from Billy’s bedroom.

‘With me!’ He bellowed and tore into the bedroom, pushing the wardrobe in-front of the door with strained grunts.

The moment he had the window open, there was an almighty blast and snapping of wood. The Wizard was inside.

Fox got himself outside swiftly, sitting one moment on the windowsill to hanging from the drain pipe. He didn’t like how it creaked ominously but it had to hold. He had no other ways out. He reached out to Dupont.

‘Come on. Jump up.’ He hissed. His heart was beating like a drum from fear. If they got caught now, they were both dead.

Dupont was clearly uncertain. Her ears were flat and her golden eyes glittered nervously. But the decision was made from her the moment magic ploughed through the door and wardrobe, shattering and burning everything it touched. The stench of unsettled dust, burning wood and sawdust filled the stuffy summer air.

Dupont was scrabbling onto the windowsill just as the White Wizard entered, his book fluttering beside him. Fox hauled Dupont into his free arm, letting her cling to his shoulder, and grunting from the weight.

‘You’re under arrest by the Ivory Tower!’ The White Wizard bellowed in warning.

Fox however was already shimming his way down the pipe, trying his best to keep his grip and not drop Dupont. It was difficult. His hand kept finding rust that dug in painfully, his arms ached from the weight of Dupont and she had no real grip on him, despite her trying to keep as still as possible.

Fox didn’t dare look up until his feet reached the bottom and he barely had time to dive out of the way of a fireball that surged towards him, splashing pure heat against the cobbles and singing his clothes. Fox wasn’t waiting around for the Wizard to prepare another spell. With Dupont close beside him, Fox fled.

He had no idea where he was going. All he knew was that he had to get away and try to get to Warbler’s once some of the heat was gone. Distance was his friend right now so he barrelled down alleys, trying to keep away from clustered areas of Alton.

He kept his cap low over his face, trying to mask his red hair and face as best as possible. His heart was panicked, drumming fast, not only from fear of being fried alive by the Wizard who pursued them but that his face was known. So far, red hair being the only known feature had kept him safe. Red hair was common. But eye colour, features, height; that narrows down the search.

I’m bloody dead, he thought to himself.

In the warm night, sirens and whistles began to blare, crying out to each other. His stomach sunk. The hunt was on. Warbler was no longer an option. He had to get out of town now!

Fox glanced down at the vixen loping behind him. Her ears twitched and flickered and her eyes glittered in the darkness. He saw fear in them. Absolute terror. It oddly tugged at him, creating an urge to get her to safety.

Fox was soon into the industrial district of Alton and no longer able to hide in alleys and darkness. Out here the roads were wide and light by strong lamps as trucks hissed and roared. Fox had to keep going though. Going back on himself was stupid.

‘Should be a way out of town this way.’ Fox growled to Dupont.

He hoped anyway. He didn’t know the layout of Alton very well. He was just going by memories of random visits he made over the years. If he recalled correctly, they used the River Willow as a form of power through mills and its currents. It wasn’t cut off. If he jumped in, its flow would take him to safety.

If it didn’t drown me first, he thought glumly.

Fox had been still for too long though. Dupont yipped in alarm when a White Wizard and two policemen turned the corner. Instantly they were spotted.

‘Stop!’ The policemen demanded, un-holstering their pistols.

Dupont was already fleeing across the road, causing cars to screech and honk in anger, and tore up the road deeper into the factory district. Fox followed with his heart in his mouth, wincing as the first shot was fired. It was a warning shot and sent wide but it was enough to turn his blood cold. Never had he been chased by police like this. He’d always be in the shadows, slinking away before they even noticed he was there.

The police followed, crying out and blowing their shrill whistles while bullets began to whiz by his head; all much too close for comfort. He had to get rid of them but saw nowhere to go. Either side of him were thick massive walls much too tall to climb in a hurry and the gates were closed tightly; their bars to close together for him to pass.

Dupont was belting ahead. He had no clue if she knew where he had been headed but he followed, hoping her senses would guide him to safety. It was that or she was just running blindly from fear and would kill them both.

His heart grew lighter when, flickering between the iron bars beside him, he saw the River Willow. Concrete banks lined either side of it and mills churned slowly. The way out.

Dupont seemed to have the same idea. She flung herself at the bars and wriggled through, squirming her body between the iron until she popped out the other side. She stopped and yapped, urging him to follow but Fox saw no immediate way through. A bullet pinged off the iron bar, making him flinch and look back.

The two policemen were joined by several others now and another White Wizard. He paled. Suddenly the hope of escaping shrivelled.

‘Get ahead. Get to the river!’ He hissed at Dupont.

Dupont however didn’t budge. She snapped her teeth irritably and remained where she was, yapping and growling with her ears flat against her head. She wanted him to hurry.

Swearing and ducking at the cry of another bullet, Fox gripped the bars and began to climb. It was difficult trying to get his foothold and, by the time he was pulling himself over, the police were dangerously close.

Fox tumbled down onto the ground and tried to land well but his ankle was caught at an angle and it collapsed beneath him. The pain was agony, sending shivers up his leg, and he hissed through his teeth.

‘Stop! Stop or you will be shot!’ One of the policemen bellowed.

They were reaching the other side of the iron fence now. Their whistles hurt his ears and their pistols stopped his heart. They were so close.

Dupont was on him, tugging at his sleeve violently and yapping madly. Run, she was saying, run fast.

He scrambled to his feet with difficulty. His swollen ankle stung horribly whenever he put weight on it and he ended up stumbling away from his hunters and towards the river. Dupont didn’t run too far ahead, often yapping and snarling at him, trying to get him to hurry. Behind him the police were shouting out demands. He wasn’t really listening to them. The pain in his ankle was bad and the concrete banks of the river were far. He had to focus on every hurried step.

Suddenly something punched his shoulder. Fox flinched and stumbled. It hurt, like ice had just stabbed him, and a cold ache began to swell. He touched his shoulder, noting the sticky warmth.

He’d been shot.

Fox glanced at the policemen behind them as his heart hammered. A White Wizard was bending the bars, forcing them to part for the police to flood forward who were demanding Fox get down on his knees and hand over the Dupont. Fox pulled his hat down and pushed onwards, forcing himself into a limping run.

It’s just pain, he told himself, focusing on the fact it wasn’t a fatal wound so long as he could stop the bleeding.

But then another rattling shot echoed out and a new bullet punched through him. This time it ripped through his side, shredding flesh and letting loose a flood of hot blood. Fox grunted at the agony, placing a hand over the warm sticky wound, and ran onwards, slamming his feet against the gravel floor and hissing from the pain of his ankle.

Dupont stayed by his side, her glittering eyes flickering between the river and his rapidly greying face. More shots rang out around them but oddly none ever hit him. Fox didn’t think about it much. His energy was being sapped away by the black wounds and the crackling heat behind him told him the Wizards were acting, their spells nearly ready to be sent surging towards him, killing him or worse, and the thudding footsteps of the officers were drawing much too close. He had to ignore the blood trickling from his gaping wounds, ignore the shivering beginning to rake through him, the discomfort of his ankle. He had to hurry.

Just as he reached the edge of the concrete banks that slipped sharply down into the deep river’s churning waters, someone grabbed his arm, yanking Fox away. His shoulder and waist jarred, making him cry out, but the policeman didn’t have the chance to pull him far or even attempt to arrest him as Dupont was swiftly on his leg, ripping at the flesh savagely. The policeman screamed at her raking claws and teeth and shoved Fox away, nearly toppling him over the edge. Fox steadied himself and, as he pulled down his dislodged hat, he noticed what was encroaching on him.

Three more policemen were only a few steps away, reaching out to grab Dupont and Fox. Four more were behind, guns arms and firing. Two White Wizards were nearly finishing their spells, pointing their hands at him to release whatever chaos they were summoning. He had to move if he wanted to live and keep Dupont and his Eye safe. Now!

Fox, ignoring everything in his body that screeched in savage agony, yanked the wriggling Dupont away from her victim and, without thinking, chucked himself off the edge of the steep cliff. He felt fingers brush his head and back but they couldn’t stop his jump. He fell, plummeting like a rock into the waters below and was swallowed up in seconds.

The roar of watered battered his ears, the agony of his wounds tore through his body, and the current sucked up away so violently Dupont was ripped from his grasp and his head smacked against the wall. Darkness instantly took him and he knew nothing more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Health is now on the increase so regular updates should be continuing as per usual next month. Thanks for the patience!