Vulpine Summer

Chapter Thirty-Two

Esme shuffled down the busy road. She kept her head down and clutched the pack to her chest. Her heart was in her mouth, thumping madly with every step she took. Since she entered Alton nothing had happened but she had seen policemen and White Wizards. They crawled everywhere. Blockades had been raised at every entrance, checking cars and lorries that entered with lights, snarling dogs and spells. People were stopped to be patted down and asked questions. There was no sign of Sodden at least.

She didn’t know how she had managed to slip by the first blockade. She simply sucked in the air and mixed herself within a cluster of people who had walked from the neighbouring village. Somehow the spells the White Wizard held hadn’t pointed her out. She clutched the pouch around her neck, feeling the rock inside. Everwood was keeping her hidden as best as he could but she couldn’t risk getting too close to the Wizards and, as she passed an animal control van filled with yapping foxes, she realised she couldn’t hang about after dark. Her fox curse was known. This male façade was her best disguise right now.

Esme coughed heavily as she inhaled dry road dirt and rubbed her stinging eyes. She had made it to the main square, a place filled with shabby houses and decaying shops. She paused on the street corner, watching a group of policemen wondering about and shoving a flier in civilian’s faces. Her heart thumped. She had to keep moving but where to? Warbler’s Clinic was somewhere in Alton but she didn’t have the luxury to stumble about until she found it. She’d either be caught by then or Fox would die from his fever. It didn’t help that she didn’t even know what its name was. Warbler was the man’s thieving title, not his name, so it was unlikely to be plastered on a building somewhere.

Esme had to think quick though. She scrunched up her face and rubbed the back of her neck, pulling her hand away sticky with sweat. It was so hot out today.

Just as Esme decided to cross the road and head east in hopes she’d be going in the right direction, a voice spoke.

‘Excuse me, sir.’

Esme froze and nervously glanced to her right. A fresh-faced policeman stood there, looking sweaty and uncomfortable in his uniform. Esme’s heart jumped to her throat and she clutched her bag tighter, feeling the solid form of her Grimoire inside.

‘Have you seen this woman?’ He held up a flier with Esme’s face plastered on it. Her chest twisted.

Slowly she shook her head and proceeded to cough heavily when she inhaled more road dust disturbed by a car that roared by. It raked through her chest, making her gasp for air until she finally stopped; pink faced, breathing heavily and teary eyed. The policeman frowned in concern.

‘Are you well?’

Esme opened her mouth to speak but remembered her mute disguise. She pointed at her throat and shook her head, intending to say she couldn’t speak but the policemen took as a confirmation she was indeed sick.

‘You don’t look it. Deathly pale, you are. Look, I know a cheap clinic you can go to. I’ll show you.’ The policeman smiled and placed a hand on her back to guide her up the road.

Esme was stunned for a second before she let herself be guided by the kindly policeman, coughing pitifully now and then. She felt bad for deceiving such a kind man, even if it hadn’t been unintentional, but she was in luck. Even if the clinic wasn’t the one she was looking for, it could have information to others in the area.

She didn’t have to go far. Six roads later with the policeman rubbing her back when she coughed and asking if she needed to rest, she finally stood outside a very busy clinic. The named Songbird Clinic was hung above the glass door, with pealing green paint coming loose. Not only was there a great number of patients going in and out but there were four policemen outside, armed with dogs and White Wizards.

Esme paled in fear and blood road in her ears. She clutched at her pouch around her chest, clamping her fingers around the Everwood’s protection. The policeman noticed and grew concerned.

‘Is it your heart?’ He asked. Esme couldn’t answer him. Taking Esme’s arm, the policeman leaned her into him gently. ‘Nearly there. Just a few steps.’

Esme didn’t want to go in. The White Wizards were far too close. One had recognised her curse the previous night and not just because he was looking for a fox. He sensed the magic. They were going to figure out who she was. They were going to arrest and leave her open to have her mind played with. Fox was going to die.

But the kindly policeman was taking her resistance and sudden shaking as a sign of failing health. He put more of her weight into his arms and dragged her towards the danger. The policemen around the clinic mostly didn’t pay attention, turning their nose away from a sick and bedraggled poor folk, but one other came forward. He took Esme’s other arm and helped her forward, murmuring to take one step at a time. Meanwhile the White Wizards grew closer and closer until, finally, she was beside them. She could see the seams of their white robes, see the vibrant colours of their eyes and sense their strong magical auras. And then she was inside. She glanced back at the grubby glass door. Neither Wizard had noticed her. She furrowed her brow in confusion.

The clinic was full of people; hacking elderly, crying babies, pregnant women, red faced men. The sheer volume of people made the waiting room stink of hot air and sweat, forcing Esme to wrinkle her nose at the stench.

‘Here. Sit.’ The kindly policeman said as his colleague left. ‘I’ll get you some help and water.’

Esme nodded, wiping away some of the sweat from her brow. She watched the policeman hurrying to the receptionist, a haughty bird-like woman, and talking about heat stroke. The reception glanced at Esme before picking up a phone and speaking in the mouth piece.

The policeman returned to her, holding a small plastic cup of water. ‘Here.’ He said, pushing it into her small pale hands. ‘You’ve probably got heat stroke. Got a high volume this summer. Too warm.’ He said with a smile and encouraged her to drink.

Esme thanked him silently and drank. The water did cool her, even if it did taste a little metallic. Moving through the crowd came a flustered nurse. She smiled.

‘Can you move, sir? A doctor will see you now.’

She felt awful. She was being moved ahead on the que because they felt she had heat stroke. She didn’t. She just wanted information but she couldn’t voice it. She was meant to be mute. She had to leave but that would mean passing the White Wizards again and she might not be so lucky. Her heart hammered and she stood to try leave but the adrenaline of the White Wizards being so close and her predicament made her clumsy. She dropped the water and struggled to get onto her feet. Her whole body shook.

I just want help for Fox, she thought desperately. That’s all she wanted. She was in a clinic and she could go from here but both the nurse and policeman were looking on with kind concern. They weren’t going to leave her alone now.

The policeman supported her. ‘One step at a time.’ He said. ‘The doctor will get you well.’

The nurse guided them. Esme couldn’t resist. The policeman was firm and she was too warm and disorientated and overwhelmed. The doctor would just find out she’s find and move her along. That’s all.

She was taken beyond the main doors and down a corridor filled with rooms marked by numbers and names. The nurse opened the third door and took her from the policeman, who nodded and waved farewell. Esme waved back before she was pulled inside.

It was instantly cooler and Esme was ushered to the nearest chair. No one was inside. The room of filing cabinets, desk and examination bed was empty of a doctor.

‘He’ll be here soon. Lay down on the bed if you need to.’

The nurse said and left quietly, leaving Esme alone to figure out what to do. She needed information on where to find Warbler, that was it, but she had no idea how to find it out.

Just say Warbler to the doctor, she thought. If the doctor knew what she was talking about, he’d react. If not, she’d move on to the next clinic. It wasn’t a sound plan but it was better than nothing.

Esme flinched when the door opened and glanced up at the huge man who entered. He was tall, broad and his belly round with a massive black beard covering his face. He sat heavily in the desk chair and smiled widely at her.

‘Heard you might have a spot of heat stroke.’ The doctor said.

Esme didn’t say anything. She was mesmerised by the strong magical aura emanating from him. It was so strong and warm; the type she would feel when her aunt was around her.

The doctor leaned forward, pulling a stethoscope around his neck. ‘I’ll check you over but you don’t appear too severe. There’s a cooling room in the back of the clinic you can stay in until you feel well enough to leave.’ He said kindly. ‘Undo your top buttons. I need to check your heart.’

Instantly Esme clutched at her shirt. She couldn’t have it open. He’d figure out she was female.

Just say Warbler then get out before they realise you’re a woman, she told herself.

Esme sucked in the air around her and ignored the confused look of the doctor. She fixed his gaze and her whole body shook from fear of revealing herself to the wrong person. But Fox needed her. He was dying from a fever that sapped his body, wounds that were rotting and bloodloss. She had to find Warbler.

‘W-Warbler.’ She said.

The doctor didn’t react. His features didn’t shift nor his dark eyes widen. He didn’t know who Warbler was. This clinic wasn’t the place after all. She had to get out. Now.

‘I am feeling better.’ Esme said as she hurriedly stood. ‘I need to go.’

‘Why Warbler?’ The doctor asked. His features were firm and his eyes searching. She froze, suddenly feeling an urge to speak to him. She didn’t know why. She felt comfortable around him. Safe.

‘I am looking for Warbler. I know he is a doctor and my friend is in need of help.’ She said before she realised the words were tumbling out of her mouth. She pressed her lips together.

‘What friend?’

‘Fox.’ She murmured.

The doctor’s face changed instantly. His features that had once been blank shifted into worry. ‘Are you Vic?’

Esme nodded hesitantly, her hopes rising. No one other than Fox knew about her hidden name and he had no reason to give it out to anyone other than trusted friends.

‘I’m Warbler, Fence of the Fingers here.’

Instantly Esme was smiling. Relief was overwhelming her, washing away the fear and sense of lost. For the first time since the morning, she felt grounded. She knew what she was doing now. She had found Warbler.

‘What’s happened to Fox?’

‘He got shot twice. Right now, he’s deep in a fever and the wounds are festering.’

Warbler’s face darkened. ‘How’d this happen? The boy is careful to avoid trouble.’

Esme hesitated as she recalled the events of last night; Billy cornering her with a knife. It still sent fearful shudders through her body. ‘Billy. He sold him out.’ She didn’t say anything more. She didn’t know what Fox had told him.

Warbler was suddenly thunderous; his whole body oozing rage. ‘I’ll deal with him. For now, get me to Fox. Where is he?’

‘With River Willow.’

Warbler hesitated. ‘With?’

‘Yes. Willow is guarding Fox for me.’

She didn’t like how Warbler doubted her. It was thick in his eyes.

‘He is. I promise.’

‘Willow is a stubborn Spirit and you’re from Lakeside, not here. He has no connection to you. How did you get him to help you?’

‘It is not your concern.’ Esme said stubbornly. She didn’t want to tell Warbler about her whistles. They were a gift to her and someone of Warbler’s calibre could easily take them from her and she didn’t want anyone to abuse the Everwood God. ‘Now help me save Fox.’ She demanded sharply. ‘He’s dying.’

Warbler obviously wanted to ask more but nodded his head all the same. ‘Wait for me out the back. I have a car there. Just need to grab some stuff.’ He said then paused. ‘The magical item that Fox is ferrying. Is it safe? Did Billy take it?’

Esme wasn’t quite sure what Warbler was talking about. The Eye wasn’t magical, just priceless, so she assumed Fox was talking about her.

‘It’s with me.’

‘Then I’ll get some incense sticks. That Witch sniffer is going to come calling otherwise.’

Esme paled. Sodden hadn’t turned up yet but it was only a matter of time. While he couldn’t sniff her out well, he could smell Absolon and his scent had to be all over her. She just hoped that he wasn’t waiting by River Willow, biding his time for his chance to pounce on her.

Warbler said no more and just pushed her out of the room and pointed to the end of the hall where the fire exit stood. He vanished rapidly, leaving her alone to tuck herself into the corner by the door, keeping her head down and eyes averted as nurses flittered from door to door. She shifted her weight, clutched at her bag and tapped her foot impatiently as Fox flickered about her mind. She recalled his grey palor, his laboured breathing, his clear signs of pain. Fear crept up. He had been so close to death only a couple of hours ago, for all she knew he could be dead right now. She clutched at her heart when it fluttered painfully and shook her head sharply. Her guide wasn’t going to die today. She wouldn’t allow it when he was still serviced to her.

Warbler came hurrying up the hall, holding a huge leather bag and clutching what she instantly recognised as a Grimoire, a well-made one at that. She hadn’t realised he was a Wizard of the Ivory Tower. She knew he had magic, yes, but she didn’t think he had been trained. Wizards often went for high end jobs, not working as a doctor in a rundown town rotting with poverty or becoming a Fence for a group of thieves. It surprised her in a disappointed way. It meant this man had forsaken the Tower and gone rogue, but she didn’t have time to judge him. Fox needed him and he was the only person she could faintly trust not to turn him over to the police.

Instantly Esme opened the door and Warbler bundled her and his bag outside, hurrying towards a banged up oil-car.

‘Inside.’ He said breathlessly as he shoved his over-stuffed bag in the boot.

Esme pulled open the door and slipped into the hot leather chairs, instantly hating how the stink of hot-car made her stomach coil in revulsion. Warbler was quick to join her and stuffed a stuck of incense and his Grimoire in her hands. He carefully lit a match and set the wick on fire, letting the revolting stink mix with the car’s hot air. Her stomach shrivelled as she gagged a little. Warbler seemed to notice.

‘Cope with it. It’ll get us out of town.’ He said.

Esme bobbed her head but her stomach got worse the moment the engine roared, coughing out smog, and pulled away from the clinic.

Esme stared out the window, eyeing the police and Wizards that they passed on their way to Alton’s exit. Her fingers tightened into small fists on her lap with fear. She had to pass them again and they were likely going to be searched. She glanced at Warbler who was focused on the road and beeping his horn angrily at a rackety old van that had stalled in front of him. She had to rely on Warbler to her out of town.

Esme sighed and closed her eyes, glad she had so far succeeded and growing hopeful she wasn’t going to lose Fox.

I am coming back Fox. I have help now. You are not going to die yet.