Vulpine Summer

Chapter Thirty-Four

Esme was woken by someone violently shaking her. Forgetting where she was and only feeling hands she didn’t recognise, Esme’s eyes snapped open and she curled away from the stranger defensively, only to realise she knew the furry face and kind eyes.

‘Warbler.’ She murmured.

‘Time to get moving.’ He said firmly and chucked her clothes at her.

Still bogged down by sleep, Esme stared at Warbler’s back and gradually registered she was naked and dressed only in a rough blanket. Both fear and embarrassment filled her, turning her milky skin red, and she started at Warbler’s face with wide, pale eyes. But Warbler only grunted and turned to pack. He didn’t mention what he would’ve witnessed during the night. He didn’t mention he knew of her curse and lies. She swallowed thickly and felt it best to keep quiet.

As her heart settled, she slowly realised was entangled in her hands. Something warm and strong and very masculine. She glanced down and saw a hand curled with hers; Fox’s. She blushed a bit but the embarrassment was cut short when she gazed at Fox, quickly recalling that he was on death’s door and how long she and Warbler slaved away to save him.

He was sleeping but sweat still trickled. Specks of blood dotted the bandages and his skin was clammy and pale. There had been very little improvement in Fox’s state, but he did appear to be in less pain. His expression was no longer twisted up so viciously and was relaxed, showing his usual sleeping features. She bit her lip and caressed his cheek and nose with the tips of her fingers in worry. He burnt to the touch.

‘He’s still got the fever. If we don’t break it, he’s likely to die.’ Warbler said as he hauled his bag on his back. ‘But staying here won’t do any good. We’ll move him somewhere comfortable and safe.’

‘Will the wounds open?’ Esme asked in worry as she touched Fox’s filthy hair.

‘Possibly but they’re bound enough.’

Esme wasn’t so sure. She’d seen how bad the infection were, cut open the holes and pulled out the bullets. Moving him about just seemed like a bad idea, but Warbler was a doctor. He knew best. She could at least bathe him soon.

Taking advantage of Warbler’s backing facing her, Esme reluctantly let go of Fox’s hand and hurriedly pulled on her clothes. Just as she tied up the grubby boots, she felt something stir in front of her. Esme stiffened abruptly when she turned and came face to face with a pale, red-scaled face. Her eyes widened instantly, her heart thumping from fright and instinctively covered Fox’s face with her body. It took a few seconds for her to realise it was Willow. She relaxed but continued to cover Fox.

‘Spirit Willow.’

Warbler looked up from his task of stamping out and scattering the fire and raised his thick eyebrows. He didn’t say a thing.

Willow unfurled his arms, letting go of Absolon who had clung to the Spirit’s chest. Alive and energised, Absolon whistled and floated to Esme’s side, signing merrily when she opened her arms for him to dive into.

‘This one brought the Watchful.’ Spirit Willow said.

‘Thank you, Spirit Willow.’ She said, grinning and clinging to her Sprite.

‘This one also brings news.’

Esme’s expression faltered. ‘What news?’

‘This one has been watching out for a Witch, as the Bloxham Sprite requested. The Witch is roaming the river. It is not far from here.’ Willow rose and twisted his tail. ‘In fact, it draws very close.’

Esme stiffened. The incense was clearly working if Sodden’s hunt was aimless but it wouldn’t stop him stumbling across them and then gods knows what would happen. She faced Warbler who was already tossing aside the remains for the campfire, destroying all evidence of their stay here.

‘Let’s get going.’

Esme backed away from Fox reluctantly as Warbler hauled Fox into his bear-like arms. Esme stood aside, fretting about how Warbler was moving him. She had to hold herself back from swooping in and helping, attempting to protect Fox’s wounds. She hated how his face twisted in discomfort.

‘Toss about the earth and make sure we haven’t left anything. Get a stick going too.’ Warbler ordered as he cradled Fox.

Esme did as he asked, kicking at anything that clearly showed that they had slept here and igniting a fresh stick of incense. She glanced at Warbler who nodded with approval.

But just as they turned to leave, they froze. Wandering not far from them was Sodden, and he wasn’t alone. Lumbering beside him was a hulking brown bear. Its paws thudded into the earth, sinking in deeply with plants sprouting in a flurry. Branches grew between his thick shaggy fur and shook with every powerful, lazy step. It inhaled the dawn air through its nostrils, huffing and snorting heavily.

Willow curled closer to Esme, flipping his tail around her and Warbler. Absolon whined.

The Wood Spirit came to a slow stop. It didn’t seem to be in much of a hurry as it turned its massive head, gazing at the world around it with its sleepy black eyes. But it soon settled on Esme and Warbler.

‘This one senses it.’ The bear said.

Esme’s heart was instantly in her throat. Of course a Spirit couldn’t be fooled like a blind Witch. She glanced at Warbler. His face revealed nothing of his thoughts.

Sodden raised his head, tilting it to listen. ‘I do not see them, friend.’

‘She is there. The Bloxham Sprite.’ The bear began to lumber forward.

Esme shuffled close to Fox and Warbler, glancing worriedly at her guide. He needed rest and to get some place safe if they were going to heal his fever.

The bear came closer, huffing out air as he sniffed, staring at her with his weeping eyes. ‘This one is certain. This one sees her.’

Sodden held onto his fur, letting the bear guide him. Esme swallowed thickly as her mind raced. She knew Warbler was the best person for this fight. He was a Wizard and, by how easily he conjured difficult spells last night, he was a capable one. Esme however only managed to half summon the most simplest of spells. But Sodden wasn’t after Fox or Warbler. He was after her.

‘Go, Warbler.’ Esme said, trying to sound brave and not betray the utter terror she felt.

Warbler glanced down at her with uncertainty. ‘This man is very strong, Vic.’

Esme knew this. She could sense it. Even several meters away, she could feel the power of Sodden and the bear who obeyed him.

‘Just go. Fox needs to be moved and Sodden is not after him. I can give you time to get him away safely.’ Esme unintentionally snapped.

‘Just what is he after?’ Warbler said hurriedly, backing up as the bear and Sodden inched closed.

‘Me.’ Esme whispered in fear. ‘Now please go! Save Fox.’

Warbler clearly didn’t like it. His face was dark and furrowed but he glanced down at Fox when he squirmed and shivered. ‘How will I find you?’

‘I will find you.’ Esme said and pulled out her Grimoire. ‘I will not be caught. My aunt is relying on my survival.’

Warbler simply grunted. ‘Good luck.’

And with that she was alone. Warbler loped off with Fox in his arms and Esme couldn’t even say goodbye. Despite all her bravado, Esme knew she had zero chances of survival. This was the end. This was where she was going to be taken to the Ivory Tower, her truth changed and then hung for murder of the Grand Wizard. She was never going to see Fox again, never reveal the true killer or discover why her aunt was murdered. It twisted her heart into a ball of fear and regret.

Willow twitched his tail closer to her, wrapping himself around her, and Absolon whistled angrily, bristling with light, reminding her she wasn’t entirely alone.

‘Bloxham Sprite. This one shall protect her.’

Esme glanced up at the pale, red scaled face of Willow. His expression was firm, his eyes glittering with menace. He didn’t know her and wouldn’t feel any obligation to step in to whatever fate would befall her. Spirits just didn’t see reason, morality and kindness the way humans did. Yet he was doing so. He was going out of his way to help her. ‘Why?’

‘The Bloxham Sprite is protected by this one’s sister river and tied to the Everwood God. This one trusts their judgement and follows suit.’ He held out his wide white hands, revealing a small metal whistle, battered and warped like water. ‘This one shall bond with the Bloxham Sprite. This one will give her strength.’

Esme stared at the whistle in his palm. It was different to the one Oak had given her and more like Everwood’s whistle. It was powerful and oozed with Willow scent and magic.

‘But I’m not a Witch. I cannot bond with Spirits without nets.’

‘She is bonded with a God. She can bond with this one’s meagre power.’ Willow said impatiently and glanced up at the encroaching danger. ‘Now accept Willow’s offer.’

Esme didn’t know what was going on but all she knew was that Sodden and the bear Spirit had stopped not far from her and stared at her expectantly.

‘Ah. I can see her now.’ Sodden said with a faint smile. ‘Good morning, Esme Dupont. I request you come with me.’

Dupont scowled and held herself tall, giving him the haughtiest glare she could muster. ‘I am going nowhere. Denver will have to make do without me in whatever scheme she is playing.’ She snapped and grasped Willow’s hand, covering the whistle. ‘I accept you, Spirit Willow!’

She felt a small charge of magic but nothing else. She was expecting something more than just a slight tingle but apparently it was done as Willow reared, leaving the whistle with her.

‘Be gone, Fellwood Spirit! This one is bonded to the Bloxham Sprite and will allow no harm to come to her!’ Willow bellowed.

Fellwood tilted his head and turned to Sodden. Sodden simply shook his head sadly. ‘This one cannot. Its bonded wishes to apprehend the Bloxham Sprite.’

‘Please, come along quietly, Dupont.’ Sodden asked gently. ‘I don’t want to fight you.’

Esme felt insulted. The way he said it felt like he saw no threat in her. That he couldn’t be bothered to fight her. Her face fanned red a little and she snapped her Grimoire open and called Absolon to prepare himself. He buzzed with eager anticipation.

She scowled at Sodden. ‘I will not be taken.’ She said firmly.

Sodden frowned. ‘So be it. Fellwood.’

Fellwood suddenly reared and bellowed a savage roar that rattled her bones, making her wince in pain.

‘Bloxham Sprite!’ Willow bellowed.

Esme barely noticed it in time. Roots were wriggling from the earth, growing in an unnatural rate to grasp at her ankles and arrest her. Panicked, Esme instinctively flicked to her fire spell and pressed her fingers along the pages. She called to the dormant Sprite within and pulled her fingers away. She was expecting just puff of heat but ended up spraying the earth with a river of fire instead.

Esme had no time to wonder how on earth she successfully cast a spell, let alone more powerfully than the Sprite inside could muster, as Fellwood roared, clearly in pain. The roots withered and burned. Fellwood bared his teeth and lengthened his claws in rage. He pulled his body up to his fullest and attempted to slam down onto Esme but found resistance met him. Absolon was, summoning the most powerful shield his tiny Sprite body could muster. Fellwood bellowed and roots shot out of the earth, slipping over the bubble, threatening to crush it. Absolon whimpered.

‘Bloxham Sprite! Attack with this one!’ Willow called.

She glanced back to see him curled up like a spring. A river of water was flowing through the trees, hurrying to his grasp. Esme wasted no time. Summoning another surge of fire from her Grimoire, the pair struck out. Boiling water slammed into Fellwood, tossing him far across the clearing. He slammed against a tree, wrenching it from its roots in a plume of earth and shattering its trunk into splinters. He remained still for a second before his body unravelled into roots and branches that slipped into the earth, retreating swiftly.

‘Fellwood!’ Sodden called out and prepared to arm himself with another whistle.

Willow summoned the water left scattered to float about the air and darted towards Sodden. In swift motions, Willow had surrounded him and very rapidly wrapped his head in water. Esme watched as Sodden gasped for air, his eyes bulging and face turning purple. He scrapped at his neck and tried to shake away the water but it clung to him, no matter what he did.

‘Willow! Do not kill him!’ She commanded but knew she had no choice in this. The bond she had with Willow didn’t give her complete control. He would kill Sodden if he felt like it and she couldn’t stop him. That was why Witches were so dangerous. They never had full control over the Spirits and magic they called upon and could very easily hurt those they intended to protect.

Esme squeezed her eyes shut as Sodden flailing lost heart and didn’t open them until she had heard a heavy thud. He had collapsed to the earth and remained very still, his blond hair sticking to his wet, purple face.

Willow slunk back to her. ‘This one did not kill him. He will awaken before long.’

Esme breathed a sigh of relief. She had promised herself that there would be no more deaths. No one else was going to die, especially not by her own hands.

‘Thank you.’ She murmured and clutched at her Grimoire. She glanced down at the book. It felt warm, like a pleasant summer day. She flushed as she realised she had used it. For the first time since she made it as a child, she had finally used her Grimoire and its spells. She just didn’t fully understand why. What did Willow do?

Before she could ask him what he had done, he slunk low to level his face with hers. ‘It is time to go, Bloxham Sprite. Her short, red-haired male awaits her.’

Esme blushed violently at the comment. ‘He is not mine.’

Willow tilted his head before he shrugged and slithered away, bringing his river water with him. She huffed then tucked her Grimoire away to scoop up Absolon who had collapsed and fallen asleep after the onslaught of Fellwood. She cradled him close and he woke lightly to whistle.

‘You have done very well Absolon.’ She praised.

He smiled then fell asleep instantly.

Esme glanced back at Sodden as she rocked her sleepy Sprite. His face had returned to a more natural colour and his breathing was light and even. Willow hadn’t lied, he was alive.

Esme remained still, watching Sodden as she recalled what she had done. She felt numb from what had just happened. She was still standing, still breathing and still free. Sodden hadn’t taken her as she had assumed. She had successfully defeated him. She blushed deeply from pride. Never in all her years had she managed to use a spell properly, let alone triumph in a magical duel. If only her aunt was here, she’d be brimming with joy, squealing and embracing as she always did when excited.

Esme sighed heavily, feeling a small stab of loneliness, and turned to follow Willow. She had no idea where Fox and Warbler had gone and Fox needed her still. He was still in danger. But her body had other ideas. After two steps her legs suddenly turned to jelly and a horrific exhaustion took her. She collapsed onto the lumpy earth, scattering her bag and Absolon, and lay sprawled out. She couldn’t move, only watch and listen, but even those abilities faded.

Just as Willow swooped to her aid, his large hands caressing her head with worry, her mind had faded, falling into a heavy sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Back to normal updates as health as recovered mostly!