Vulpine Summer

Chapter Thirty-Five

Esme woke gradually. She felt comfortable, swaddled in a duvet and her head nestled in a feathered pillow. For a few moments, her memory and sluggish mind began to tie together memories. She had fought alongside Absolon and River Willow against Sodden. She recalled the aggressive attack of his Fellwood Spirit, how Absolon defended her and how she summoned hot sputtering flames from her weak Grimoire. Sodden was defeated. And then nothing. Just the feeling of pure exhaustion, falling and the hard, warm earth meeting her painfully.

But here she was, in a soft bed. Not on the hard wilderness floor. Someone had moved her. Someone had found her.

Panic began to tighten her chest. Her heart fluttered awkwardly and she fought away what murky sleep still held her. With effort, she peeled them open and found herself staring at a white ceiling. She turned her head slowly, wincing at how her head sloshed about, and quickly took in her surroundings.

The small room was filled with potted and picked flowers. They covered the dresser, the desk and the windowsill. It made the air sweet to inhale. The window was cracked open, letting in a gentle breeze to cool the room, and the curtains were closed, casting a blue hazing on the white walls. It seemed so peaceful in here but Esme was still nervous. She had no idea where she was. She recognised nothing and had no indication as to who’s house she was in.

With difficulty she sat up, pushing through the numb sleepiness. She noticed a pitcher and glass was on the side table next to her and, feeling parched she reached out to have some, but hesitated. She had no idea what was in the water or even if it was water. After witnessing her aunt being poisoned by her own friend, Esme was suddenly quite wary of drinking it.

‘It’s safe.’ Someone said.

Esme flinched, instinctively curled up, and glanced about for any sign of her pack and Grimoire. Her gaze was forced to focus on the newcomer however as they moved further into the room.

For a moment, Esme felt she was looking at Fox but noticed how their nose was smaller, their eyes bigger and features more round. She was a woman. She was small, very small, and had vibrant red hair that was pulled back into a neat bun.

Esme shuffled into the corner of the bed, pressing herself against the wall. The woman simply smiled and placed the tray she carried on the bed. Esme glanced at it. There large bowl of porridge covered in sugar and cinnamon and a large mug of tea.

‘You’ve slept a long time, I thought you would be hungry.’

Esme stared at the woman’s face, who smiled softly. Her eyes weren’t like Fox’s, they were a deep grey. Her skin wasn’t as pale and she was dusted in a thick layer of freckles. But still, she looked like Fox.

‘Who are you? Where am I?’

‘I am Lydia but you can call me Mouse.’ She replied as she lit a match and set up a stick of incense. She recognised the stink instantly. Warbler’s incense. Esme relaxed instantly. She was a member of the Fingers and Warbler was here. She was safe.

‘You’re in my home currently. Warbler brought you and Fox here yesterday.’

Esme’s interest perked. ‘Fox is here? Is he alive?’

‘Yes, my cousin is alive. He’s sleeping but his fever is going down and Warbler says he’s responding well to medicine and his healing magic.’

Fox was safe. He was alive. The happiness that took her made her feel light and elated and she heaved out a heavy sigh relief. And then she registered that Mouse called herself Fox’s cousin.

‘Cousin?’

‘Yes, cousin. Our mothers were sisters; twins. Born here, grew up here, but my aunt went to the city while my mother stayed.’ She smiled.

‘Where is here?’

‘A little town called Belwich. It’s one hundred miles west of Havern and right at the base of White Mountain. We’re the only connection to the towns and mines up there for trade and food. Even have our own little freight railway.’ She pulled back the curtain, letting the sun spill in. Esme couldn’t see any awful lot, only trees and the sun’s rays. ‘You’ll be able to look soon. First, eat then wash and dress yourself. There’s a sink there,’ she gestured to the corner of the room, ‘And clothes in the closet. I picked them out myself. Your pack is with Warbler. He said he shouldn’t part with it.’

It was a comfort that her Grimoire was safe. Just as Mouse turned to leave, Esme called out.

‘Will I be able to see Fox?’

Mouse smiled. ‘Eat and wash first.’ She said simply and moved out of the room, lightly closing it behind her.

Feeling safe, Esme settled with her breakfast, drinking deeply and eating hurriedly. The food was good and not like the cheap and greasy stuff Fox had been feeding her. It tasted fresh. Feeling replenished, she stripped off her old, baggy shirt and wrenched the taps, letting hot water pour into the basin. With soap and speed, Esme was clean, dried and ready to dress. But the moment she pulled open the closet, she stilled.

Inside was clothes for a man but a woman. A nice pretty summer dress made from modest cloth and vibrant green dyes. The sight, while excited her, also made her become very still. They knew. They all knew she wasn’t a man.

‘Everything is going wrong.’ She murmured.

Fox was shot and very nearly died. She was very closely snatched by the Ivory Tower and Billy. And then there was River Willow, his willingness to bond and her sudden ability to use her Grimoire to a far greater affect than it would allow. She had no idea what Willow had done to let her use magic but it was something to do with the bond. She couldn’t ask him now his river was miles away. He was gone.

Esme dressed herself in the clothes offered by the closet. It fit nicely enough. It didn’t reveal much of her shape, was clearly meant for someone shorter and the cloth was heavier than she was used to but it would. It had been a long time since she wore dress. It felt nice.

Just as she reached for the doorknob, something lightly popped by her bed. She turned sharply, swirling the dress around her knees, and came face to face with Absolon. He sang brightly and Esme burst into a smile.

‘There you are.’ She said as she pulled him into her chest, burying her face into his squishy body.

Absolon whistled merrily and glowed brightly with happiness. She was glad he was strong again. He had used so much strength recently against beings much more powerful than himself.

She held him out, jiggling him lightly. Inside the Eye rattled and floated, making Absolon laugh. He still had it. Despite what he’d been through, he hadn’t let it go.

‘I will buy you something sweet as soon as I can, Absolon.’ She said with pride.

Absolon cheered at the promise.

‘I want to see Fox. Do you know where he is?’

Absolon sang in confirmation and floated to the door, tapping it with his soft paw.

Esme pulled open the door and stepped out into a narrow corridor. Floral wallpaper, old lamps and sepia photos met her. She glanced at them, noticing a younger Mouse in some. As Absolon guided her, she kept eyeing the photos. She was curious if she’d find Fox. She wanted to see what he looked like as a child. Her search paid off. A portrait photo was held in an old, paint-faded frame, showing two beautiful women who looked identical with their husbands behind them. At their feet were two children. One was a girl, older and chubbier, but clearly Mouse by the freckles. The other was a boy, small and thin. Fox.

Esme stepped forward and touched the little Fox in the photo. He was so tiny but still retained the pride he had in his eyes, the same haughtiness. She suddenly felt her chest tighten as she remembered what had happened only a few nights ago. Recalling how his body shuddered and blood spurted out from him. How he still kept running. And then his fever and cutting him open to carve out those bullets and puss. The little boy in the photo nearly died for her. She felt awful.

Absolon tapped her shoulder, whistling curiously. She glanced at him and then at his belly. She was beginning to seriously doubt her choice in blackmailing Fox. Maybe it was best to hand back the Eye. He was a thief, yes, but she was learning he wasn’t a bad person. He had turned again Billy after all.

The thought suddenly wrenched the memory of Fox and Billy’s fight. It made her heart thud and face turn red. So much had been happening that she had forgotten about Fox’s show of strength. Fox had stood so powerfully, despite his short stature, and slapped down his own best friend in favour of her. He had declared she was his and refused to betray her. He had protected her.

Her moment of confusion and sudden fluttering in her stomach was interrupted when the door next to her opened. Mouse came out, carrying used towels, and smiled at Esme. Esme however, flinched in surprise and hung her head a little, trying to head how her eyes were wide and her face pink.

‘You found his room.’ She said brightly. ‘And the dress looks fine. You’re taller than I thought though.’ She shuffled aside. ‘Go in. Warbler’s in there too.’

She shuffled off down the hall, humming to herself and leaving Esme to hover outside the doorway. She suddenly felt very nervous about seeing Fox again. What if he was awake? The idea of looking at his bright, mischievous eyes and seeing his smirk sent her into a butterfly filled turmoil. Her face heated up and she fidgeted, tugging at her dress. She felt silly now. The dress was too short on her and didn’t show off her femininity at all. Not that her stick like body had much of it but Cassandra always found dresses that made her look female. She had so many nice ones back home.

Esme stiffened then buried her face in her hands and groaned. Just what was she thinking? This was Fox, the crude, short thief who hated her, not some kind of dashing man of power, money and chivalry that she dreamed of.

‘Vic? That you?’ Warbler called from inside.

She stiffened, realising Absolon had swung inside, revealing she was there. She couldn’t hide away. Sucking in the air to calm her beating heart and fanning her face to cool away the pink shade, she entered the room.

Warbler was in the room, filling the armchair easily, and held a map in his hands, tracing it with his fingers. A bed was beside him and Fox lay there. He was sleeping, his face soft and his eyes relaxed. His skin didn’t look so sickly anymore. He looked better. Much better. Seeing him made her feel more relaxed but her face remained pink and she found she couldn’t look at him for long without thinking of his heroics and declarations of protecting her.

‘Warbler.’ She murmured. She had intended to stand tall but found she couldn’t when she remembered the cat was out of the bag. Warbler knew she was female. He was going to ask questions.

‘Sit.’ Warbler gestured to the chair on the otherside of the bed.

Esme sat swiftly and tugged at her dress nervously, making sure it was sitting on her as best as it could.

‘He’s better. The wounds are healing, his fever is gone and he even wakes up sometimes.’ Warbler said warmly. ‘You did very well back in the woods. I don’t think he’d be with us if that operation hadn’t gone so smoothly.’

Esme nodded and her eyes flittered to Fox’s features. She noticed things there she hadn’t quite before. Like his nose and how strong it was. His jaw. His mouth. She turned pink and her stomach twisted so she looked at his hand but even that looked different. So large and masculine. She chose to closer her eyes instead.

‘I tried to leave but it didn’t feel right. I turned back. I found you unconscious in the woods, surrounding by scorch marks and water.’ He paused. ‘What happened back in the woods? With Sodden? I found him unconscious, like he had been drowning.’

Esme looked up at Warbler. His features were dark. Now was not the time to be a nervous girly, Esme realised. Fox was asleep. She had to answer for herself. She sat up straight and gazed at Warbler with cool eyes.

‘River Willow helped me.’

Warbler grunted. ‘I guessed that. I just don’t understand why.’

‘I do not know why either. It is possible because River Oak is fond of me. They are connected Rivers.’

‘Then keeping Fox safe would make sense. Not getting involved in a fight with a Witch and the Fellwood Spirit.’

‘I do not know.’

Warbler sighed and reached down beside the bed, pulling up her Grimoire. Dancing on the surface were her two whistles and the pouch containing her pebble. Her hand touched her throat. She hadn’t realised they were gone.

‘You’re a Wizard.’

‘Yes.’

‘And not a very good one. Your Grimoire is filled with only four spells and very weak ones.’

Esme blushed at the sting she felt. ‘Yes.’

‘Yet you bond with Spirits so easily.’ He said, picking up the strange whistles and twirling them in the light. ‘Where did you get these?

‘The Everwood and River Oak Spirits. I grew up with them.’ She hoped he didn’t pick up her lie.

Warbler stared. ‘Who are you? Truly, I mean. Fox is lying to protect you for some reason. Tell me why.’

Esme hesitated. Fox had always warned her not to tell anyone but the situation had changed. Fox was ill, Esme’s gender was known and they needed Warbler. Lying was just going to make things worse.

‘My name is Esme Dupont, niece of Cassandra Bloxham, Grand Wizard of the Ivory Tower.’

Warbler didn’t respond. His features didn’t so much as twitch in recognition. Instead he slowly handed over her Grimoire and whistles. She took them cautiously.

‘They claim you slew the Grand Wizard. Poisoned her with plague magic.’

‘I did not do such a thing.’

‘I know.’

Esme hesitated, having prepared herself to fight tooth and nail to prove her innocence. Instead he just bobbed his shaggy head.

‘You do?’

‘I just said that your Grimoire had four spells in it. All weak. Nothing to do with plague magic and nothing on the level that could kill a human, let along the Grand Wizard. You didn’t do it.’

‘Oh.’ Esme managed to utter. ‘Thank you.’

‘But you know who did, don’t you?’

‘Yes.’

Warbler hummed deeply and stared down at Fox. ‘And why is Fox in all this mess?’

Esme was going to be entirely honest until she realised who she was talking to; a Fence of the Fingers. One of Fox’s many bosses. Finding out she had stolen from him wasn’t going to cast a good light on him.

‘He was kind to me and believes me. He is risking his neck to prove my innocence. That is all.’ She said with as much conviction as possible.

Warbler stared with his dark eyes and held some much suspicion that she wasn’t sure he was going to believe her. But he eventually nodded in acceptance.

‘Sounds like him but he’s put himself in danger. He knows no magic and you’re being hunted by a Witch-Trapper of all things.’ He sighed. ‘Where are you even heading?’

‘To the Granite Tower. Logan Lithgow is a friend. He will help me.’

Warbler hummed and rubbed his mouth. ‘You’re to start from the beginning. Tell me everything. How this all began, who killed the Grand Wizard and how you plan to get to the Granite Tower from here and what you expect Lithgow to do.’

‘Why?’

‘So, we can plan, that’s why. I was taught in the Havern College which is an extension to the Ivory Tower. Protecting you, niece of my Grand Wizard, and bringing the murderer to justice is what I need to do. So, tell me everything if you want my help and want yourself and Fox to stay alive long enough to complete this trip.’

Esme didn’t hesitate. She just hoped it was the right decision.