Vulpine Summer

Chapter Thirty-Seven

Esme blew on the whistle once again, staring at the weedy pond as Absolon whirled about, playing with the lilies. The water lapped gently from the fish and the cool breeze but Willow didn't appear. It seemed Water Spirits were bound to their territories. She huffed a sigh, disappointed. She had hoped to gain answers from him about why she could suddenly use magic and connect with him. She was a Wizard, albeit not a very good one, and had never interacted with a Witch until Sodden started hunting her. It was odd.

Esme stood, brushing down her dress, and stood to gaze down the hill. Lydia and her husband's house stood atop of its own hill, surrounded by a massive vegetable patch and small field with a pair of old dairy cows. She had grown familiar with the sight of the valley. The rolling hills dotted in houses and farms, the waving grass, the constant bleating of sheep and bellowing of cows. Cars would trundle by now and then, breaking the country silence, and a train would belch out smoke in the distance. Esme had found this a good place to recover after Fox's near death and her own near capture. They had lingered too long however.

Since her arrival, Warbler and Mouse had put together a plan to get Fox and Esme over the border. Esme just sat and listened as they poured over maps and contacted other members of their thieving group, figuring out where was safe and what exactly was going on back in Alton. She didn't understand what exactly they were talking about and her mind often wondered to Fox, curious about whether he had finally woken up or if he needed his pillows fluffing, but the plan was formed quickly and it was one she felt comfortable with. The only bad news she had was about Billy. The Fingers had managed to grab him, but not before declaring the Fingers were involved in Esme's escape, and Warbler had sent him punishment for endangering Fox and the Guild. She didn't find out what had happened to him until much later. A few days later and Fox finally woke up, much to her disgruntled delight. She had wanted to fling herself at him the moment she saw him, his green eyes open and his mischievous features alive, but managed to hold back and was filled with embarrassment about her attempt. But now Fox had woken, recovered and been filled in on what their next move was, they would have to leave here soon.

Just as she turned, Esme froze. Coming up the hill was neither Lydia or Warbler, who often came to sit next to her at her favoured spot by the pond. Instead they were smaller and lithe. It was Fox.

Her heart fluttered at the sight but she kept herself calm. It was silly how excited she felt whenever she would visit him in his room, sitting beside him to keep him company without saying a word. It was silly how content she felt and how sudden her attitude towards him changed.

Esme just about managed to keep her face from turning too pink and had straighten herself to her fullest height, trying to retain some kind of pride and not turn into an excited school-girl. Fox was making it difficult the closer he got though. She noticed the fluffiness of his hair, the broadness of his shoulders, the sharpness to his eyes, his appealing mouth. She sucked in the summer air sharply and scolded herself sharply as she quickly averted her eyes. It was rude to gawp at people like that.

He seemed to struggle with the hill, even with a clear path and steps dug into the earth. He was gripping his side and puffing with every step, but Esme wasn't too surprise. It was the longest she had seen him walking since he woke two days ago. Mostly he just moved about the house when Warbler told him it was time to exercise his muscles.

'Fox, you should not push yourself.' Esme reminded him, watching as he collapsed into the wooden garden chair settled beside the pond. Absolon drifted over to him to sing softly in welcome before settled in the grass to play with the blades.

Fox waved his hand dismissively as his chest heaved. 'It's fine.'

Esme frowned. 'You need rest, especially if we are leaving soon.'

Fox grunted. Esme sighed. He was still dismissive of her opinion as always.

'What are you doin' up here?' Fox asked as he sunk into the chair, his breathing now settling.

Esme fingers reached for the whistle, toying with it. 'I was trying to call Willow but he won't respond to me.'

'I thought you bonded or whatever it was.'

'I'm not sure what exactly happened but, if it is like the Witches, he will not listen. He will only respond when he feels like it. This pond is not his either.'

'Try it again.'

Esme sighed. 'I have.'

'Do it. I wanna see if it works.'

Fox was leaning forward now, gazing at her intently. As much as she was annoyed by how demanding he was being, she still felt the heat rising to her face and her heart flutter nervously. His eyes always did that. She hated how silly she felt whenever he looked at her. Ever since that night when he protected her from Billy and risked his own life, she felt strange around him, and it had only become worse since he woke up. She saw him differently. She saw his broadness, the strength in his movements, the glimmer in his eyes, the definition in his muscles and the appealing features of his face. Like he was a man, not just someone useful or a petty thief.

Pink, Esme sniffed unhappily and pulled the whistle to her lips. She blew again, whistling hard and letting out a strange cry. She felt the magic pumping out of metal, seeping into her skin. She stared at the pond, still as ever, and tucked the whistle away down her dress.

'See. Nothing happens.' She sighed softly.

Fox grunted. 'Feels weird though. That song ain't normal.'

'Of course it's not.' Esme responded. 'It was made by River Willow.'

'And you're bonded with it? Like a Witch, like Sodden?'

Esme titled her head gently, trying to think. She had no Witch capabilities otherwise Cassandra would've said something and she had been trained to use what little magic she had to use Grimoires and nets. She had no idea if bonding was easy but she imagined she had to be trained for it. So, if she did bond with Willow, she didn't quite understand how and understood less how her Grimoire was all-powerful when Willow was beside her. Whatever he did, he hadn't been permanent. As soon as she had her Grimoire back, she tried her fire spell. All she managed was a tiny flame that puffed out within seconds and even that took all her strength. After the surge of fire she summoned the other day, it was a huge disappointment. She sighed miserably.

Esme cried out when Fox suddenly snatched her hand and yanked her beside him. She fell into the bench, her straw hat no dislodged from her head, and was suddenly very close to Fox. She tensed up. She could feel his warmth, pick up his scent, and his hands lingered longer than necessary. She glanced down at him, something she forgot about. He was so short she had to look down.

'Didn't know you elites thought that hard about anythin'.' He grumbled.

Esme stiffened and her features glowered. 'We are educated peoples, Fox. Of course we think.'

'Well thinkin' isn't gettin' you anywhere.'

He was right. Trying to figure it out on her own was pointless. When she reached Lithgow, she'd ask him. He'd know. That was if she even reached him. The border Golddales and the Hornfels wasn't far now but the Granite Tower was still a great distance. Getting this far had nearly killed Fox and Esme had had several scrapes with Wizards and Witches alike. But then when she got to the Granite Tower, which would be heaving with Wizards, how would she get Lithgow's attention? He lived at the very top, just like she and Cassandra. There was no way she could get to him.

'Thought I told you to stop thinkin'.' Fox snapped.

'There is a lot to think about.'

'Well stop it. We'll get to that soon. Let's just get ourselves moving first.'

Esme glanced down at him, noting she couldn't see bandages peeking out of his baggy shirt. Just skin and muscle. She blushed and looked away.

'How are your wounds? Did Warbler go over them today?'

'Mostly healed.' Fox said, leaning back to rub his shoulder. 'Took out the stiches. His magic is doin' most of the work now. Thinks we can leave tomorrow.'

Esme hummed. She didn't feel happy with that. Fox had lived through intense trauma and his body was clearly tired.

'Don't fuss. It's weird.' Fox grumbled, giving her a suspicious glance.

Offended, Esme straitened herself and sniffed haughtily. 'I am not fussing. I just don't want my guide to drop dead.'

Fox looked annoyed at the comment. His eyes darkened and fingers twitched but he didn't say anything. 'We're hopping on that mountain train, aren't we? It'll be quiet. Warbler and Lydia scouted it out, says there are no Wizards there. It's a freight train after all and out in the middle of nowhere. It can take us for a few hours before we'll be over the border and nearing populated places Wizards will be. I have time to rest.'

Esme wasn't so sure. She felt he was pushing himself too much, too quickly. He struggled walking up the hill, for goodness sake! But Fox had that stubborn look to him.

'Just tell me if I can help you.' She said as Absolon nudged her hand so he could settle in her lap and play with a dandelion he found.

Fox gave her a funny look which made Esme blush. She knew she was suddenly being friendly and nice to him but she couldn't help it. She felt a swell of concern for him ever since he got shot . She couldn't just watch him kill himself for her again.

They were disturbed by someone calling their names and Esme looked up to see Mouse bounding up the hill. Once she reached the top, her chest was rising heavily and she fanned her grinning face.

'Hot day isn't it? Warbler is calling for you both. He wants to go over provisions and his plan.'

Fox pulled a face. 'Why?'

'He's worried, cos. Go to him and listen. Let him fuss.'

He groaned. 'Everyone's fussin' and won't stop! Even the snobby one!'

Esme's head snapped to him. 'Snobby one?' She snapped. 'I save you and you call me the snobby one?'

'You savin' me only returns the favour.' Fox grunted stubbornly. 'I got shot twice because of you, remember? We're even.'

She flushed red from anger this time, not from embarrassment or a fluttering heart. He made her so mad.

Mouse clapped her hands and hauled Fox to his feet, pushing him towards the steps. 'Get going you fool. Stop winding her up.'

Fox grunted and, sneaking a quick glanced at Esme, he slunk off. Mouse laughed.

'Ignore him. He's just reacting.' Mouse advised.

Esme frowned. 'To what?'

'He hates people looking out for him. He's a proud lone-wolf type. Very stupid, if you ask me.' Mouse smiled. 'He hates you looking out for him the most though.'

Her heart sunk a little. 'Why?'

But Esme could answer that question herself. Fox was blackmailed to her side, blackmailed to help her, thus her acting friendly and caring was almost insulting to him. She frowned and, for the first time, a brief thought that maybe she should reconsider the blackmail and let him go popped into her head.

'You're a woman.' Mouse said, breaking Esme's brief thought. 'You may act and dress like a man, but he's very aware you're not one. He has to be the man, to take care of you.' She smiled. 'He won't let you down, Vic. He knows hurting himself means he can't protect you.'

Esme face burned pink instantly. The memory of Fox bursting into Billy's apartment replayed in her head and she recalled how warm and elated she felt at seeing him. He looked so strong to her.

Coughing lightly, Esme rose sharply, pushing Absolon to float into the summer ait. 'I will go join them.'

Mouse grinned and nodded, lopping her arm in Esme's. 'Let's.'

Esme accepted Mouse's offer and the pair made their way back to the main house. Esme chewed her lip in thought along the way as she thought about Fox and the blackmail that shackled him to her.

*

'You have everything needed. You have laudanum in your bag, take it for the pain. Your wounds aren't quite done yet so don't fling yourself into danger too fast.' Warbler said as Esme, Absolon and Fox stood beside one of the freight train's rusty carriages.

It was dusk and the sky was a vibrant pink colour with white clouds scattered about. Crows and blackbirds constantly shouted and the heat was finally beginning to die down. But, after a few day's rest, it was time to go. Esme, dressed once again in men's clothes, and Fox had to leave.

'The driver will get you passed border customs, don't you worry. He's smuggled several times before. And remember, get off at the eighth stop. There will be White Wizards there but few. Beyond and they grow in number.'

'We know.' Fox said in a bored tone. 'We got this.'

Warbler glared. 'You, boy, stop underestimating the mess you've dumped yourself in for pride and 'good-will'. You were just lucky you got shot in my town.'

'I will send messages.' Mouse said, before Warbler and Fox could begin to bicker yet again. 'And I'll keep correspondence with Elenore. We'll map out your path as you go. You won't be as blind anymore.'

'Just don't breathe about this to other members.' Warbler warned. 'Let us do that. If they're meant to know, they'll call Vic 'Vixen'. That's her title for now.'

Esme nodded firmly. She had to remember all this as it would help them traverse the last stretch of her journey safely. If no one called her Vixen, she had to remain quiet and pretend to be mute. If they did, they were sent by Warbler, Mouse and Elenore. They were safe.

'Just remember, we Fingers are now under scrutiny. Billy revealed a member of the Fingers is helping Esme Dupont escape justice. We're just lucky he named no names and gave no descriptions. Seemed to gain some sanity in time..'

Fox grunted. 'Billy really made things harder.'

'He's been dealt with Fox. We don't suffer stupidity like that.'

Fox continued to look gloomy however, upset that his friend was locked away by the Fingers, cradling a bandaged hand that had two bloody stumps on it. Esme wanted to reach out and comfort him but knew that would only make it worse for him. She was the reason Billy was maimed. Esme shook Absolon in comfort to take her mind off of the guilt, making him giggle and the Eye toss about inside him.

'Now, good luck, the pair of you. This journey of yours isn't over yet.' Warbler grinned. 'And I'll do some sniffing about with Doe and Cuckoo. This Denver woman will have dirt somewhere. We'll shed light on her actions, hopefully before you get to the Granite Tower.'

Esme hoped. If Denver had some doubt thrown her way, it would benefit Esme and her attempt to reach Lithgow.

'Now, get on.' Warbler said as the driver bellowed and the train suddenly groaned, chugging out black smoke from its pipes. 'Just keep your heads down and be smart.'

'Always am.' Fox said then hopped onto the carriage.

Warbler sighed in despair and rubbed his face hard while Mouse embraced Esme, squashing Absolon between them.

'Good luck out there.' Mouse said. 'And thanks for your help.'

Esme smiled, finding it a little difficult. While she hadn't been in Mouse's and her husband's care for long, she had grown attached to them. They had been very kind and welcoming, regardless of who she was and what was chasing after her.

'Thank you for letting me stay.' Esme replied. 'And for the dresses. I enjoyed wearing them while I could.'

'Of course you did! You're a lady, and an elite one at that.' She grinned. 'Just don't go wearing any I gave you in public.'

Esme promised she wouldn't as she patted her bag, filled with new clothes.

'And use those incense with care. I'll send some out when you need them but I only have so many.' Warbler warned before he stepped forward and placed his huge hand on her head, ruffling her blond hair. 'Be careful out there. This Lithgow fellow may not be the friend you think he is.'

Esme felt a small pang of fear, briefly wondering if Lithgow would betray her too, until she recalled who he was. He was Cassandra's spiritual husband, her male-figure, her friend. Lithgow was someone she could trust. And if he turned out he wasn't...well, Esme didn't want to think about losing the only human friend she had in the world.

The train whistle savagely, rattling through the air and scattering what birds remained in the nearby trees.

'Time to get in!' Fox shouted over the increasing noise.

Warbler grabbed her shoulders and pushed her towards the open freight door, shoving her into Fox's waiting hands. She felt herself go pink the moment Fox's hands grasped hers, entwining his stronger fingers with hers. With little effort, her hauled her up and she plopped next to him. She yanked Absolon towards her before he floated off and cuddled him tightly to her chest. He whistled curiously.

'Remember, trust no one unless they have the code!' Warbler bellowed as he unhooked the chain holding the door open. 'Use that incense, keep your heads down and wait for news before you move on from the eighth station! Got it?'

'Yes!' Fox snapped. 'Now shut the door old man!'

Warbler scowled but nodded, clasping his eyes onto Esme's. 'Good luck! May we bring justice to the Grand Wizard of the Ivory Tower!'

Esme nodded firmly and, after managing to give one last wave to Mouse, Warbler slammed the door shut. A single light hung above them, giving some means to see. Esme glanced at Fox as he settled down, pulling off his hat and getting comfortable enough to sleep. It reminded her of their trip in Cuckoo's van but back then she didn't feel so nervous being alone with him, shut in a freight cargo wagon. She felt her heart fluttering as she watched him settle, stretching himself out to his full height. She found herself taking glimpses of the muscles on his arms, noting how broad he looked despite how short he was, how masculine, to which she stifled a gasp of horror and quickly looked away, clutching at her red face. She must stop doing that.

The train quickly snapped her attention. The car suddenly shuddered and whined as, very slowly, it began to move. It thudded, gaining traction, and then it was rattling noisily, causing every hefty box to jostle and creak.

While Esme hated the noise and how she was pushed about lightly, Absolon seemed to love it and sang merrily, wiggling his arms. She let him go and he settled next to her, his song never breaking. Esme sighed at him and, when she glanced up at Fox and noticed he had dropped off to sleep already, she sighed again. Already she was disliking this mode of transport.

Esme shuffled herself closer to Fox, trying her best to stop herself from eyeing him, and closed her eyes as she leant her cheek against her knees. It wasn't going to long before they'd cross the border now and tossed back into danger. She had to sleep while she could but couldn't. Her hand was empty. She glanced down at Fox's chest, noting his large hand. Most nights she had been holding it this last week for comfort and to comfort as she went to sleep. She glanced at Fox's features and, determining he was fully asleep, she reached out to touch his hand. Her fingers lightly danced over the skin, feeling his knuckles and fingers. It was as rough as always, long and bony. Growing pinker by the second, Esme slipped her hand into his, gripping it lightly. Instantly she felt better and relaxed.

Within moments, Esme was asleep, unaware Fox was watching her from the corner of his eyes, frowning, but not letting go of her hand either, as the freight train barrelled through the gathering night.

End of Part Two