Vulpine Summer

Part Three: Chapter Thirty Eight

Fox woke and instantly hurt. His whole body felt stiff from the metal floor, his head rattled from the screeching cries of the freight train, his healing wounds ached and he felt crushed. Something heavy was weighing his chest down.

Fox grunted and opened his eyes, rubbing them violently when a blurred vision met him. It took a moment for him to figure out what he was looking at. A mop of black hair was on his chest, glistening in the swaying lanterns light, with white hands curled close. A naked female body was connected to it, curved and pink, and with legs and arms barely covering herself up. It was Dupont and she was human again.

For the first time, Fox felt nervous being around a naked woman; especially one that he knew was going to be naked by dawn. It creeped up on him, made his heart pump that little more and his breath become a little short. He felt his face going a little pink and it annoyed him. Just because he was now very confident she wasn’t a cold, heartless killer and insane Wizard, didn’t mean he could start crushing on her. She was still a pompous, stuck-up elite.

Fox, trying his best to be modest and not let himself become enamoured by the slight female lines of her body, telling himself he had seen far more impressive shapes, grasped her shoulder and shook hard.

‘Dupont. Wake up.’ He snapped.

Dupont stirred slowly. He saw her fingers twitch, felt her head move and noticed her body curl up a little more, giving herself a little more modesty. She raised her head, turning her face to him. He stared. Her eyes were half closed, her lips parted, her black hair sticking up at odds angles. She was clearly dopey and slowly waking up and, oddly, he found her beautiful.

Dupont rubbed her eyes and yawned, pulling herself off of his chest. He did his best to keep his eyes focused on her face and not glanced at her small breasts. But as he stared, he began to notice something. Her eyes weren’t the fake blue anymore but returned to the swirling honey colour he recalled. He gazed at her hair and his stomach twisted further. The blond cropped style was gone. Dupont’s hair was its rare black shade, cut neatly to stop at her chin. The glamour Elenore had inflicted had worn off.

‘Dupont. Dupont, we’re screwed.’

Dupont was only just awake enough now and her eyes widened as she realised the compromising position she was in. Her stark nakedness was far important than what Fox had to say. She squeaked and turned a vibrant shade of red, making her eyes glitter with embarrassment and her lips part in shock. She scooped out of the clothes that had slipped off her during the night and clutched them to her chest. Her face was on fire and she scowled at Fox. It took him a few moments to realise she was expecting him to avert his eyes.

Grunting, Fox hauled himself up and turned his back. ‘Dupont, we have a bloody big problem.’

‘What is it?’ She demanded haughtily as she hauled on her masculine clothes.

‘The glamour is gone.’

Dupont didn’t respond at first but he heard her rummaging about frantically in her pack. He turned around to see her wearing only her shirt, which only just about covered her and showed off her long legs nicely. Something scratched in the pit of his stomach at the sight. He ignored it and berated himself for eyeing up an Elitist; the worst of the worst.

She pulled out a makeup mirror and flipped it open. Within seconds she whirled on him, her eyes ablaze with panic.

‘What do we do? I am too noticeable like this.’

‘Hats. We tuck your hair up in it. Should be good enough.’

That didn’t seem to appease her. He could see her chest rising fast, her fingers twisting. Before he could stop himself, he was in front of her, holding her shoulders and getting her honey eyes to look at him. He liked these eyes. Far better than the blue.

‘Look, we can get through this okay? Just follow me, keep quiet and make sure your hat stays on your head.’ She didn’t respond, just stared with fright. ‘It’s fine. Yeah?’

She visibly relaxed and nodded her head, swaying her black hair. He favoured this colour of her hair too. It brought out the silkiness of her skin nicely and made her lips that much more noticeable. He shook his head hard and grunted, forcing himself to focus on their new problem, not how much he preferred Dupont’s natural appearance.

‘But we need to get you glamoured again.’ He rubbed his mouth as he thought hard. ‘Should’ve got Warbler to go over it.’

‘Are there anymore Occultists within the Fingers that we’ll pass by?’ Dupont asked hopefully.

Fox shrugged. ‘Not sure. I don’t know all of them but I’ll send out word to Warbler. He might know.’

He sighed heavily, annoyed. He should’ve thought about this. Elenore had warned him it wasn’t going to last and would weaken with water and she’d been in plenty of that recently.

Suddenly the freight train began to slow down, crying as its breaks eased its speed. It was coming up to a station. He checked his watch and, by the time, it was the stop they needed.

‘Get dressed. We’re gettin’ off here.’

She hesitated. ‘So we’ve arrived? We crossed the border and we are in the Hornfels?’

‘Yeah.’

‘I did not expect it to go so smoothly.’ She smiled thinly. ‘Not that I expected to get this far either.’

‘Well hurry up and get sorted if you want to get further.’ Fox urged. Having her half-dressed was turning out to be more distracting than it once was.

Dupont covered herself up in age-old men’s clothes. She did her best to tuck her hair up in her hat but the black strands were noticeable and her eyes shone their distinct shade. Fox wasn’t sure they would be able to evade the White Wizards and police so easily now. He had to get them help.

Packed and ready with Absolon sleepily singing in Dupont’s arms, they waited by the massive doors. Fox checked over his glove, setting it to its invisibility spell, and balled his hand. He was ready. Eventually there was a knock. Fox knocked in return. With effort and screeching rust, the door was opened. The smuggler and train-diver stood on the other side, waving.

‘Time to leave. Get; before them Wizards inspect this carriage.’ He warned in hushed tones as he moved on.

Fox gazed at what was in front of him; a farm of trains. Black smoke, rattling metal, men shouting and honking horns filled the air. Cranes and thick wagon-drawn horses moved cargo and tracks were either occupied by settled freight trains or open for one to barrel through in a spray of sparks and cloud of smoke. With only having a small view to figure out where to go, Fox decided going ahead was best. The freight yard seemed to expand up to a certain point ahead of him with towers and walls marking its territory. He had to get out of the yard, somewhere quiet and away from here so they could figure out their surroundings.

Fox held up a hand, indicating for her to wait, as he stuck his head out. Further up the train, two White Wizards were slipping into a carriage as they carried out their inspection. Now was the time.

Fox slipped onto the gravel with a light thud, hunkering down low as he watched for the White Wizards, then waved for Dupont to follow when they didn’t appear. Absolon was pushed into the air, where he twirled, giggling as quietly as he could. Dupont dangled her feet off the edge and Fox helped her down, despite not needing the help. The drop wasn’t as big for her lengthy legs.

Keeping her low, they scurried to the freight train across from their own. They dove between the cars and hunkered down between the chains. Oil, coal and smoke filled their nose as they watched. The White Wizards were soon visible, leaving their carriage, and moved onto the next. Neither paid any attention.

‘Where do we go?’ Dupont whispered as she yanked Absolon close to her before he drifted off, distracted by the carrion crow that squawked nearby.

‘Away from them lot.’ Fox grumbled and pushed her beyond the car and nearly into an incoming freight train.

Fox just about managed to grip her shoulder and pull her roughly back. Her squeak of fright was lost in the noise of machinery and metal as the massive train flew by, squealing savagely. Dupont gripped her hat as the wind tugged at their clothes and tossed dust and grit into their faces. Within seconds, the freight train and passed as was tearing away through the yard.

Instantly Dupont was glaring at him, making him feel a little guilty. The freight trains were moving a lot faster than he anticipated and there was so much commotion here that he couldn’t pick up when the train was coming clearly. Moving through the yard was going to be dangerous.

‘Be careful too, yeah?’ He grumbled.

She didn’t say anything but her dagger-stare didn’t stop.

Taking the lead, Fox stepped over the wide-set tracks and darted to the next length of cars. Dupont followed close, quiet and nimbly despite her size. He held his hand to stop her the moment he saw a large group of burley men unloading a car. Noticing the real way to get by without being spotted, Fox pushed Dupont back and slipped further down the track. He tried to keep low and invisible but it was difficult. He was out in broad daylight and the place was filled with guards and workmen. Bridges arches over the yard, towers loomed and trains tore through. It was hectic and it made his poor heart strain as he slithered through. Too many times he nearly stumbled into view of a group of workers, too many times did a sniffer dog scurry by, too many times did he spot the White Wizards. And then there was the heat. The sun beating down on him, making him sweat and his hands grow sticky.

But soon Fox had managed it. Slipping between cars and carriages and with patient steps, Fox had finally reached the end of the freight yard and behind masses of thick metal bars. He stared at the tall wrought-iron fencing with Dupont beside him, clutching Absolon.

‘We can climb it.’ Fox said confidently. The fence didn’t look so bad to him. He’d come across worse.

Dupont glanced at him. ‘It is very tall.’

Fox felt a stab of annoyance run through him; fanned by the heat, stress and discomfort their morning had been so far. Instantly he felt defensive of his height. Was she mocking him? Did she think less of him for his height? That he was less of a man? Because he was just as much a man as the next. A surge to prove himself to her grew.

‘Just keep low. I’ll get over first then you follow. Yeah?’

Dupont nodded and huddled down in the wild shrubbery and shade, trying to stay out of sight of the workmen.

Fox instantly took his shoes off and chucked them through, squeezing his pack after them with some effort. Stepping back, Fox took in the height and width of each bar. It wasn’t so bad. The bars were thick so he could grip them well and he was well rested. He could do this.

‘Be careful. You could re-open your wounds.’ Dupont warned from her hiding place.

‘My wounds are barely wounds anymore. Warbler fixed them good. Now shut up and watch. You’re goin’ to have to do this.’ Fox sniffed and rubbed his nose then flung himself at the bars.

Gripping each bar and securing his feet, Fox began to haul himself upwards. He felt his muscles straining, his wounds aching and the sweat thicken on his back as, inch by inch, he climbed. Gritting his teeth, Fox hauled his tiny body until he finally reached the top. There he only gave himself a moment to breathe before making his way down.

In no time, Fox was on the other side, standing proudly even as his chest heaved and his body felt far worse than before. He grinned at Dupont in challenge as she applauded him, obviously impressed.

‘Now you do it.’

Dupont paused in her clapping. ‘Me?’

‘Yeah.’

‘But I am…I am not made for this. You’re well-built but I am not.’ She stammered.

Fox oddly felt his face go a little pink at the comment. He tried not to think about it.

‘Just, chuck you boots through and give the rest to Absolon. Do what I did. It’s easy.’ Fox said, rubbing some of the sweat from his neck.

Dupont did as he suggested and chucked through her boots. Absolon took her bag easily and floated it over, dropping it beside Fox’s before returning to Dupont to sing encouragement.

‘You grip hard. Lean your weight back and use those feet. Get it?’ Fox instructed.

Dupont didn’t look very confident but she took hold of the iron bar and tried anyway. Her expression strained as she trained to lift her gangly body off the ground and what little muscles strained. She fell within moments.

‘Grip harder. You gotta get over this. You’re stuck back there otherwise.’ Fox urged.

She tried again. And failed again. Fox watched, giving advice as she tried the third time, all the while watching warily for any stray workman who may come too close. Luckily this area of the yard seemed to be dead.

With him guiding and her putting in all the strength she could muster of her pampered body, Dupont managed to reached the top. Absolon wiggled and sang, welcoming her to his perch. Panting and clearly in discomfort, Dupont quickly became stuck. She leaned over the edge of the fence and her expression twisted into panicked confusion.

‘What do I do now?’

‘Pull your leg up. Hook it over.’

‘But I will fall.’

‘Vic, you’re good. Just, do it slow.’ Fox urged and stepped forward, flinging his arms wide. ‘If you fall, I’m here.’

Dupont snorted, a laugh leaking out of her fear. ‘I will squash you.’

‘I’m stronger than I look.’

‘I know.’ Dupont breathed and sucked in the hot summer air. ‘Okay. I will try.’

‘Good. Just slowly.’ Fox said just as he glanced over at the yard and noticed someone getting a little too close. They were going to see her. She needed to hurry but he just kept his mouth shut and smiled. If she screwed this up, she could seriously hurt himself, even if he did try to catch her.

Absolon drifted away from his perch as she pulled herself up enough to swing a leg over. She did it clumsily but managed. Fox watched with fraying nerves as she very slowly pulled herself over on the other side of the fence.

‘Now just to get down.’

Fox had assumed this bit would be the easiest and quickest part for her. No longer was she hauling herself around with what little muscle she had but was easing herself down. Fox had assumed wrong however. Her left foot suddenly slipped and shot through the fence, making her panic and lose what hold she had. She fell.

Fox leapt forward and barely managed to fling himself underneath her. He stood no chance however. His legs buckled instantly from the impact and the pair collapsed onto the long dry grass. Fox lay there, winded and dazed. His head had collided with the compact earth, stunning him for a moment, and the weight of Dupont had forced the breath from him. He hadn’t realised how heavy she was. He coughed slightly.

‘You good?’ Fox wheezed.

‘Y…Yes.’ Dupont managed to stutter, clearly shocked herself.

She moved herself, lifting herself from him and finally dislodging the hat from her head, letting her black her tumble out. She looked down at him with intense concern. She touched his face with her hands, stroking his cheeking lightly with the pad of her thumb.

‘Are you hurt?’

Fox waved his hand, brushing her away quickly. He didn’t like how she made his face burn. ‘Fine. All fine.’

He sat up quickly; a little too quickly. Suddenly he was very close to her face. Their noses were almost touching and he felt her breath tickling his face. Her lips her parted and full. And her eyes. So large. He loved this natural colour of hers.

Very rapidly Fox pulled himself away and stood sharply as his heart hammered nervously. What was with him?

‘Let’s get goin’.’ He said stiffly.

He glanced down at Dupont when he only got a squeak in return. It was then he noticed how flustered she was. Her face was vibrant, her eyes wide and her hands clutched to her chest. It oddly pleased him. She was that nervous being close to him?

He shook his head and reached down to grab her hat and plonked it on her black hair. ‘Hat on too.’

With flustered motions, Dupont dressed herself again and stood, ready. ‘Where to?’

Fox grunted as he pulled out his map and compass, quickly deciding on what direction. ‘We’re goin’ to Farmire, which is a few miles from here. Apparently, there’s some kind of sickness goin’ on so the place has few people, even Wizards. Quietest route to go through.’

Dupont bobbed her head, her face still glowing and unable to hold his gaze for long. ‘Won’t it be dangerous?’

‘Warbler seemed fine with it.’

‘And will there be someone who can glamour me again?’

Fox shrugged and stuffed the map in his pocket. ‘Dunno, but we’ll find out.’ He glanced at her. The red had faded and left behind a worried expression. ‘It’s fine. Just follow me.’

He set off, holding the compass tightly in hand and very glad they had managed to get through the freight yard. Before them lay rolling hills and winding roads with a forest in the far distance but little else. He was in the Hornfells now, close to where he needed to be. Glancing at Absolon, who drifted ahead, disturbing what grass seed he could, Fox sighed inwardly. The Eye. His task was so close to being over yet so far.

When this is over, Fox told himself and turned to look at Dupont who stumbled after him, tripping over rocks in her thick over-sized boots and constantly readjusted her hat and hair nervously.

First he had to take of her, then he can sort himself out. Oddly, he felt at peace with that.

He grunted, wondering when on earth he didn’t mind being blackmailed by an elite framed for murder.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lack of update last week. Took the day off as it was the end of a part but forgot to inform.