Vulpine Summer

Chapter Forty

Fox scarfed down the fried sausages, egg and tomatoes Catriona offered while trying his best to ignore Dupont’s unhappy scowl. She pushed her food about with her fork, not once attempting to eat it even as her stomach gurgled and simply held out bits of sausage for Absolon to eat. After a second argument over Catriona being a Witch this morning, Fox had decided to ignore her. He couldn’t it through to her that, right now, the Witches are far safer than any Wizard and that it was worth any risk to get her glamoured again. She wasn’t having it though. She thinned her lips and narrowed her eyes, declaring again that he knew nothing of magic. It put him in a bad mood.

So he ignored her sulky way of not-eating and focused on Catriona who was currently cleaning up the oily frying pan. ‘You’re sure you’re happy to take us out there?’

Catriona nodded and pushed her blond her back over her shoulder. Fox couldn’t help but eye her neck. It was long and slender and curved into her shoulder nicely. ‘Aye, it’s good. Better I guide you than you fall into some sinkhole.’

Fox readily agreed but Dupont grew increasingly sullen and huffed. Fox felt a pang of annoyance. Catriona smiled at Dupont’s hostile stare then glanced at Absolon who scoffed merrily beside her. He was a lot brighter today, his body far less translucent and he sang and wiggled merrily as he usually did. Fox wondered if he was getting used to the heat now.

‘I hadn’t noticed him yesterday. Does he follow you everywhere?’

When Dupont shuffled closer to Absolon protectively and didn’t utter a word, Fox answered for her. ‘Yeah.’

‘That’s rare for non-magic folk. Sprites like feeding off excess magic, it’s why they cling into Spirits and can get attached to magic-folk without wards or whistles, but he seems to really like Vic.’ She said with a smile and reached out to touch him.

Dupont however grabbed Absolon and pulled him into her chest, squeezing him tight. While Absolon jiggled happily at the attention, Catriona obviously looked a little offended. Fox wanted to hit Dupont round the head for upsetting the only person who was willing to help them out their predicament. Catriona however didn’t press and backed off instead.

‘Grab what you need and meet me in five. I’ll wait by the front of the store.’ Catriona said as she threw her apron on the chair and scuttled off.

Fox was instantly on Dupont.

‘What was that for?’

‘I do not want her touching him. She has no right.’

‘He’s not even tied to you.’

‘He’s my best friend and I will not have a Witch try and take him from me.’ Dupont said as she settled Absolon on the table.

Fox scowled. She was being insufferable at the moment.

Her stomach gurgled noisily, breaking the brief silence.

‘Eat somethin’. Your stomach won’t shut up.’

‘I do not trust her.’

‘You think she’s gonna poison you in her own house?’

Dupont just glared at the food but her face did start to go pink from embarrassment, a quiet acknowledgement of how petty she was being.

‘Look, I get Witches aren’t great news.’

‘They are not.’ Dupont grumbled.

‘But we have a chance to get you hidden which will make gettin’ you to the Granite Tower alive a lot easier. Do it.’

Dupont’s eyes glanced at him, clearly showing she wanted to say something, but she oddly held it back. Fox was suddenly very curious what nearly blurted out from her mouth. She wasn’t one to hold back. Dupont remained silent with a haughty gaze on her features but instead of eating, she pushed the plate towards Absolon, letting him have full rein over what he ate. Fox rubbed his face as he groaned at how stupidly stubborn she was being but at least she wasn’t arguing anymore.

‘If you won’t eat, let’s get goin’.’ He said and rose from the table and hauled on his pack.

Dupont scooped at Absolon, who quickly shoved the last of the sausages into his hungry mouth, and followed without a word.

It wasn’t long before Catriona joined them. She was armed for the muggy marsh; thick boots, overalls and a thin shirt with her blond her piled on her head. It oddly suited her and Fox found himself enjoying Catriona’s bright smile, although Dupont brought that to a sharp stop the moment she kicked his shin. Fox glared at her and she returned it in kind.

‘Ready to go?’ Catriona asked.

‘Yeah.’ Fox replied.

Dupont didn’t respond and just stared haughtily at the jars lining the walls. Fox sighed inwardly.

‘Then let’s go.’ Catriona said and pushed open the front door of her pharmaceutical.

Fox trailed after her and was still surprised by how dead the street was. Despite it being late morning with the sun splashing light and heat on anything it could, no one was out. Windows were open and voices could be heard but that was it. No other signs of life touched Farmire.

‘Been like this for a while.’ Catriona said, noticing Fox’s surprise. ‘It’s usually noisy, especially in the mornings before it gets too hot. Kind of depressing.’ She smiled suddenly. ‘Well let’s get going! I’ll take you to this friend of mine.’

She barrelled off ahead of them, forcing Fox to get moving and drag Dupont after him when she sullenly refused to move. He held onto her wrist, keeping her moving, and turned to pull down her hat firmly.

‘Keep that thing on you. Catriona won’t know we’re tryin’ to stay out of the bobbies’ way.’

She nodded hesitantly and he noticed she was staring down at her wrist with a pink hint to her face. At how his hand grasped her, his fingers surrounding her wrist with ease. She felt soft.

Abruptly he let her go and rubbed his hand. He didn’t like how it burned softly nor how his heart sped up. He chose to focus on Catriona and the sway of her hips. It distracted him from his increasingly odd reactions and thoughts of Dupont.

Luckily Catriona seemed to only take them round the outskirts of town and it wasn’t long before Dupont, Fox and Absolon returned to the marsh. It wasn’t as hot as the day before but it was still muggy. Within minutes, Fox was sweating and his muscles ached from the slush that tried its best to keep him from moving on. Midges buzzed around him and the marsh was noisy with the cries of beast, birds and insects. He wasn’t keen on being here but the Witch was out here. He could keep Dupont safe again.

Catriona knew exactly where she was going and knew exactly how to traverse the treacherous marsh. She pointed out sinkholes, warned them of random ponds hidden by greenery, alerted them to incoming slops and hopped over every rock and gnarled root with ease. Fox mimicked her and was improving in picking up the tell-tale signs of danger but Dupont didn’t have so much luck. Even with Absolon whistling, she fell regularly. Every time her face burned from embarrassment and she’d glare and slap away Fox’s hand. By the time a small hut appeared, settled nicely on the marsh’s small lake, Dupont was miserable and covered in filth.

‘Here we are.’ Catriona said, wiping away the sweat from her brow.

‘What’s your friend’s name?’

‘Glenna. She hunts out here, traps rats and catches fish.’

‘Witch?’ Dupont said stiffly, keeping her voice low.

Catriona flashed a bright smile. ‘Yes, a Witch, as I said. She’ll help you.’

Dupont scoffed and Fox ignored her. Her mood had worsened since they left Farmire and a bit of him dreaded what she was going to do when they met Glenna. He hoped she’d keep her mouth shut.

Catriona took them down some wooden steps that wound down the grassy hill. Instead of taking them into the hut, which stood on stilts and puffed out smoke from a long, crooked chimney, she followed the steps further down to the edge of the lake.

The lake was wide and covered in duckweed, weeds and lillies. Bugs swarmed in clouds while swallows and numerous other birds dove in to scoop up a meal. Herons stood further out, fishing in the murky water, and Fox swore he saw something large moving about and disturbing the water in the distance.

The small wooden steps took Fox and Dupont down to a small wharf. An old boat bobbed in the sea of duckweed and, beside that, was a hunched over figure the size of a mountain. They were sitting on a small stool, clasping an old fishing rod, with a bucket of fish beside them. It was this figure that Catriona bounded up to.

‘Glenna!’ Catriona called. ‘Glenna, I bought visitors!’

Glenna hulking figure of Glenna moved and a wrinkled face turned to glare at them with watery eyes. Greying black hair frizzed madly about her head and her skin was rough and leathery, tanned from the constant exposure to the sun.

‘What is it, lass?’ Glenna asked roughly. Her accent was a lot rougher than Catriona’s. ‘You know I don’t like strangers brought here.’

‘But they’re in need of magic.’ Catriona stated hurriedly. ‘They’re looking for mining work but Vic’s a girl. They’re trying to pass her off as a boy.’

‘A lad?’ Glenna repeated.

She gazed at Fox and Dupont harshly before she put aside the fishing rod and stood. Fox watched as she grew, drawing herself to the fullest of her massive stature with dozens of whistles rattling around her neck. At it wasn’t just height but width. Muscles covered her thick arms and legs, turning her into a hulking giant. Fox felt tiny beside her, which he hated. He drew himself up, trying to make himself feel a little more intimidating than he knew he looked.

‘You wants magic then, eh?’ Glenna said gruffly. ‘Magics rough stuff. You don’t go playing with it.’

‘We just need a glamour.’ Fox said. ‘Make Vic look like a boy and we’ll be good. That’s it.’

‘That’s it, the lad says.’ Glenna mocked. ‘No.’ She snapped. ‘I don’t give out magic like candy to anyone who just strides up demanding it and I don’t like liars. Now get going. Away.’

Dupont was quick to turn and march off but Fox growled and snatched her hand, tugging her towards him. She glared at him, clearing wanting to do as Glenna asked, but Fox wasn’t giving up so easy.

‘Yes, we lied.’ Fox admitted as he spun a quick tale in his head to cover up why he lied, but Catriona got there first.

‘And I know too.’ Catriona butted in. ‘But I sensed no malice from them, Glenna.’ She paused. ‘Besides, they could help you. And Vic can’t be too bad. She has a Sprite attached to her.’

Absolon giggled and waved at the mention of his name. Glenna’s scowl remained in place, making her face sag with age. She wasn’t quite convinced. Catriona continued to push.

‘They’re strangers here and then they’ll be gone. They won’t bother you again.’ She said meaningfully. Fox didn’t like the tone. He narrowed his eyes. Maybe Dupont was right to be wary.

Glenna seemed to finally bow to Catriona’s whispering. ‘Fine.’ Glenna hauled herself towards Fox and leaned down over him, wafting him with an unwashed sweat. ‘But we trade, lad! Eye for an eye! I do this magic thing for you, you do something for me! No questions either way, aye?’

Fox was hesitant. Catriona was clearly up to something, she looked a little too hopeful to just be doing a good deed, and he had no idea what Glenna was going to ask him either. He glanced at Dupont who was scowling angrily. Her whole body was highly strung and she clutched Absolon protectively to her chest. Her eyes screamed to turn down the offer and for them to continue on their merry way without the glamour. But Fox knew the dangers awaiting him, the wide cities and lively towns he had to pass through. Dupont needed that glamour or they were both going to die.

Even as his stomach churned that this was likely to go wrong, Fox held out his hand. ‘Deal.’

Glenna parted her mouth into a black toothed smile and swallowed his hand with her own. ‘Good. Now, I’ll tell you want I need, lad. With me.’ She said, cackling as she moved up towards her hut with Catriona followed. He didn’t like the spring that had suddenly appeared in the blonde Witch’s step.

Dupont stepped forward, glowering and thin-lipped. ‘I hope you know what you are doing, Fox.’ Dupont hissed before she moved on.

Fox hoped he did too.