Vulpine Summer

Chapter Fifty-Four

Esme was curled up on the sofa, finally numb to how the cushions sagged enough that she could feel the bars digging into her back. Absolon was amusing her, allowing her to bat him about like a balloon as he floated and giggled, but she had been here for hours, listening out for some kind of news and trying not to eavesdrop on Fox as he dealt with messages.

She couldn’t stop fidgeting though. Her eyes constantly found themselves drifting to Fox’s back, observing as his shoulders and how he rubbed the back of his neck in irritation. She loved watching him but she would spiral into an embarrassed mess as, whenever she did look at Fox, she’d recall how he’d looked at her in the bathroom; how dark his eyes were and serious his expression. It sent her into a flustered mess and then she’d try to focus on her situation. She thought about the Granite Tower, Denver and how desperately she wanted to get out there and find Lithgow. She was so close to him, so close to being safe! And she didn’t care what Fox thought; Lithgow was an ally. He’d help her. She knew he would which made sitting in a basement for hours all the more frustrating. She’d then try to think of something else and her thoughts always drifted back to Fox. And thus she was stuck in a never ending loop of stress.

She closed her eyes and let Absolon settled on her stomach, hoping to ease off the restlessness she felt.

At some point she fell asleep, waking up to Fox handing her a simple stew. She was depressed to see the most blandest and cheapest of foods, especially after being treated at Bull’s, but she accepted and ate all the same without complaint.

‘Bull knows what happened. She’s glad we’re safe.’ Fox said as he settled opposite her, devouring his own meal.

‘She’s not too angry?’

‘She’s livid.’ Fox stated calmly between mouthfuls. ‘She’s on her way here though.’

Esme was surprised but happy at the news. The more people around to help her get to Lithgow and out of Denver’s hands, the better.

‘Denver isn’t in Lakeside. She hasn’t been for days apparently.’ Fox said in a low tone.

Her heart twisted anxiously. Denver had abandoned her point of power? ‘Why?’

He shrugged. ‘Dunno. She just up and left. Doe and Elenore sniffin’ is finally givin’ up somethin’ now she’s gone and not protectin’ her hive.’ His eyes focused on her face, making her flush involuntary and look away hurriedly. ‘Somethin’ weird is goin’ on. Both Doe and Cuckoo can’t find any real reason the Tower is huntin’ you. Doe thought maybe you were a hidden Witch or genius or somethin’ but Cuckoo already knew about your magic, so the Tower should know Denver’s story is a bunch of crap. They can’t find any bribin’ or suspicious financial activity so they’re lookin’ into potential blackmails.’

Esme absorbed that in. She had wondered why the Tower was so quick to hunt her down and claim she was the murderer. Her terrible abilities were known, she failed all lessons and was eventually pulled out. There was no way she could summon a plague Spirit to murder her aunt. It was just impossible.

‘Rumours are goin’ around about Witches going in and out of the Ivory Tower; not official Witches. Neither Doe, Cuckoo or Elenore can place them in a Coven.’

‘Druids?’ Esme gasped. They were just like the Occultists; a Witch taught outside of a Coven’s law. They were far more dangerous than any standard Witch. The had no rules, no sense of morals, nothing to hold them back.

Fox nodded. ‘Our hunter is a Druid too. Unclaimed by any Coven.’

Suddenly, Sodden was a lot more scary to her and she checked the incense was still burning. No sense of honour or laws would hold him back from doing anything to either kill or claim her and what was worse was that he wasn’t the only one connected to Denver, current leader of the Ivory Tower.

‘Druids entering the Tower is unheard of.’ Esme stammered. ‘The Towers only worked with Covens who obeyed certain rules, like Catriona and . Any Druid’s were arrested.’

Fox shrugged again. ‘They don’t know much yet but people are talkin’ more freely without Denver breathing down their necks. Elenor’s been findin’ hints that she’s creatin’ a bylaw to dissolve the Towers.’

Esme frowned, recalling what Denver had said as Cassandra lay dying. She had known but hearing about Druids going into the Tower and rumours of a bylaw just made it more real. ‘She really wants to destroy them.’

‘She said so?’

‘Yes. It’s why my Aunt was murdered, because she refused.’

Fox rubbed his mouth in thought. ‘Think she’s turned to the Druids side? Would be why they’re suddenly allowed in the Tower.’

Esme had no idea but she sighed and rubbed her eyes. ‘I do not need to figure this out though. I just need to get to Lithgow. Once he knows my truth, he can protect and find out Denver’s. He’ll find out why she wants to Towers gone and why she’s cavorting with Druids and answer to the Towers.’

Fox watched her intently, his eyes glimmering and his features firm, making her fidget as her heart stammered. She couldn’t look at him and all thoughts of Denver and the Druids had flown from her mind until Badger came barging down the stairs.

‘We have information!’ He bellowed, breaking Fox’s focus on her.

Esme breathed in relief and felt herself able to think about something other than Fox and his intense eyes.

‘What info?’ Fox asked.

‘That the city is a mess. No way you’re getting through it, Vixen.’

Esme’s face fell. ‘How am I going to meet up with Lithgow?’

‘I have a plan.’ He sat heavily and waved a piece of paper. ‘This is a letter I’ve written. On it, I’ve stated you need to speak with Lithgow, that you’re cursed and been framed by this Wizard, Suellen Denver.’

I bobbed my head in confirmation when Badger gazed at me, obviously wanting to fact-check everything.

‘Now, I’m going to do something incredibly risky.’ Badger said slowly. ‘I’m bringing Lithgow here.’

Fox’s eyes shot up from gazing at his hands. ‘You what?’

‘Moving Vixen is stupid right now. The best thing to do is to bring Lithgow here.’ Badger pressed.

‘It’ll threaten the Fingers!’

Not if we move everything.’ Badger said adamantly. ‘I have thought about this, lad. Move all equipment, information, everything, and we should be good. One of my Occultist will block in the tunnel temporarily and this basement will be a good place for Lithgow to meet Vixen.’

While Esme loved the idea and was gushing thanks to Badger, overjoyed and humbled that he was willing to risk his people so she could be reunited with Lithgow, Fox was furious.

‘This is insane! You can’t bring a Grand Wizard here, especially one we don’t know if we can trust.’

Esme eyes snapped into a scowl. ‘We can. Lithgow will help me.’

‘We don’t know that, Dupont. So many Wizards have suspiciously turned against you and she could have her claws in every single Tower.’ Fox snapped.

She straightened her back and her scowl deepened. ‘This is what I’ve been fighting for, Fox. You knew this the moment I met you.’

Fox shut his mouth but his eyes still burned in defiance.

‘I want to see Lithgow. If Badger is happy for it to happen here, then we’ll do it here.’

‘What about safety precautions? This could just be handin’ you over to Denver.’

Badger slapped his knee. ‘It’s fine, lad. I have a couple of powerful Wizards myself and we’ll disarm the Grand Wizard. If he doesn’t hand over his magical book, then he won’t be seeing his niece.’

‘He will not fight against that request.’ Esme said firmly. She knew Lithgow. He wasn’t an aggressor.

‘He might feel it’s a trap for him.’ Fox grumbled.

‘Thought about that too. He can test my truth before handing the Grimoire over.’ He leaned forward and gave Fox a firm look with his aged eyes. Esme could see strength there; conviction in his choices and annoyance Fox wouldn’t shut up with his questioning. ‘This’ll work and we’ll find out if this Lithgow is our friend or not.’

‘And what if he wants to take her away?’ Fox demanded hotly.

‘We’ll test his truth and you can go with her.’ Badger snapped irritably and sat heavily back into the chair. He steepled his fingers and gazed at Fox’s obstinate expression as a deep laugh bubbled from his broad chest. ‘Stop worrying, lad! From what Bull said, you’re one to just fling yourself into trouble without much thought. What’s changed here?’

Fox fell silent and for once he couldn’t look at Dupont. Esme noticed his ears burning and she titled her head curiously. She wanted to know too. Ever since they got here, he was acting like he’d only just been told about Lithgow.

‘Fox, this has been the plan from the beginning. You were happy to hand me over to Lithgow before.’

‘Yeah but I didn’t care about what happened to you then!’ Fox snapped and sat heavily opposite me, stewing moodily with his arms folded.

The comment made her turn pink and her heart to flutter. He’d basically said he cared about her and those words made her head light with happiness.

‘Vixen will be safe, Fox.’ Badger said firmly, his eyes glimmering with understanding. ‘Are you two happy with it?’

‘I am.’ Esme said instantly.

She glanced at Fox, her heart tightening as she watched him stare at her. His arms were still folded and his expression was still dark while his eyes remained fixed on her, searching and intense. It made her blush violently, her heart hammer violently and become very interested in the floor.

Eventually Fox shrugged. ‘Whatever.’ He grumbled irritably.

‘Good! Then I’ll get this sent. Lithgow should be with us tomorrow if all goes dandy. Fox, start packing up my machinery. I trust you know how to do it all.’

Fox snorted. ‘Of course I do. Set up Doe’s offices loads of times.’

‘Great. Then get on with it.’

And then Badger left. Esme kind of wanted him back. Her heart still pounded loudly in her ears and she found she couldn’t quite look at Fox. Her mind kept pulling up the memory of him holding her hand while she cleaned his wounds, how close he had been and the affectionate expression on his features; a memory she had ignored well not long ago.

Fox though was kind to her and set to work. He didn’t speak or look at her, just focused on tearing about the machines littering the basement.

And thus Esme returned to laying on her back and waiting; her mind torn between thinking about her reunion with Lithgow and her growing infatuation of Fox. She snuggled Absolon, who slept wistfully, and she was so unaware of her surroundings that Fox scared her when his face was suddenly over her, his hand pressed on the back of the sofa and his arm holding his weight.

Esme squeaked and curled up tightly, on disturbing Absolon enough that he chirped in confusing before snoring again. He was looking at her again with that expression in the bathroom; serious and dark. She hated how it made her face burn and heart hammer.

‘Dupont, be careful.’ He said.

‘I am.’ She stammered nervously. She didn’t like how close her was to her. It made her so nervous.

‘I meant with Lithgow. Don’t like everyone isn’t question her. Somethin’s wrong with it all and you’re going to get sucked into it all if you make the wrong step and trust someone you shouldn’t.’

‘I know, Fox.’

‘This whole thing could be a trap. You could die.’ He hissed.

Rage flickered over his features, making his jaw clench. Esme just about managed to stop herself from reaching up to touch his face and soothe him while her heart hammer faster.

‘Fox, trust my judgement. I chose you to bring me here and that turned out to be a good choice. Lithgow will help me, not kill me or hand me over to Denver. I promise.’

Fox didn’t look to comforted by her words but they ran out of time to talk when the basement door slammed open and movement could be heard.

‘I hope you’re right.’ Fox muttered and pushed himself away to busy himself with packing.

Esme remained where she was, curled in a ball, clutching at Absolon and trying to calm her breathing. It was hard to stop the smile playing at her mouth. Hearing how distrustful of Lithgow Fox was oddly made her happy. It meant he cared about her much more than she thought. It made her heart swell with love.

But he was right. She did still need to be careful with her reunion. She couldn’t go in with blind trust.

She glanced at Fox as the workers joined him, asking what he’d packed and where it all was. She watched his face, observing his green eyes and the slope of his neck. She hoped she was right about Lithgow but, even if she wasn’t, she knew she’d be safe with Fox about. Nothing could hurt her so long as he cared about her.