Vulpine Summer

Chapter Fifty-Five

Fox helped with the removal of the equipment until his arms went numb. There was just so much stuff to take apart, pack up, remove and hidden compartments to empty. He’d glance at Dupont to check if she was okay but all he could see was a lump in the corner, covered by thin blankets. At some point, the lump shrunk, indicating the curse was active again. What worried him though was that it happened before dusk. It made his stomach twist with worry. The curse was eating her up earlier and earlier now.

He tried to think nothing of it and focus on helping his colleagues as much as he could until someone yelped.

He glanced across the room and instantly spotted a fox curled up in the corner; back arched, ears flat and teeth bared. At first he thought a wild fox had somehow got inside until he recognised the preened fur and patterning and how Absolon floated close to it, looking confused and lost. It was Dupont.

Fox walked hurriedly across the room. ‘What happened? Did you hurt her?’

The man scowled and continued rubbing his wounded ankle. ‘Hell no! The fox just bit me.’

Fox’s stomach sunk a little. He stepped forward cautiously and Dupont snapped her jaws. His stomach dropped further in dread.

‘Dupont. What’s got you upset?’ He asked as he continued going forward.

But he knew his words were falling on deaf ears. The eyes, they were savage. Wild. Inhuman. Dupont wasn’t awake. She wasn’t there. Only a wild fox snarled before him.

At first he felt a swell of panic. Never before had Dupont lost herself to the curse but she had claimed that had been the intention. If she had the mind of a wild animal, truth and memory changes were easier. That curse Denver had placed was repairing itself, turning Dupont into nothing more than fox. A mix of fear and anger took him until he breathed evenly and told himself to banish it. Being emotional wasn’t going to help her now.

‘Someone get me a cage or somethin’.’ Fox demanded.

At first no one moved until he barked it again. He had to contain her. There was too much risk she’d hurt someone or herself.

He kept his eyes fixated on her scrunched up maw and sharp teeth, snatching up a spare coat to smother her with it. But, as he drew close, she made a break for it. She darted out of the corner and scurried along the wall, nearly speeding past Fox and towards the stairs. Fox however launched himself at Dupont, barrelling into her and slamming himself against the wall hard.

She wriggled madly, grunting and wailing. She was strong and her barely kept a hold of her as she squirmed, trying to free herself from his grasp.

‘Dupont! Dupont, wake up you idiot!’ Fox snapped.

That didn’t help soothe the mad vixen but instead encouraged her to bite him. She squirmed around and her teeth sunk into his forearm, tearing through flesh and cloth. He winced at the searing pain that exploded and the firm tightening sensation of Dupont’s jaws. She didn’t let go, just gripped tighter with her ears flat again her head and tried wrenching his arm back and forth. He could feel her shivering in fear.

Trying his best to ignore the pain, Fox held her tightly, murmuring softly in the hopes to bring her back. By the time the cage had arrived, there was no need for it. She had slowly loosened her drip and let go to stare at him, her eyes big with fear and shame.

Dupont was back.

He smiled in relief and petted her soft head. ‘You’re back.’

She whined softly and glanced at his wound. Blood was dribbling from several deep holes and grazes. It didn’t look nice.

He placed a hand over it and smiled. ‘It’s fine. More concerned about your head vanishing.’

She was too, it appeared. Her eyes were filled with terror and panic.

‘Do you want the cage still?’ One of his colleagues asked, his expression dubious and confused about the entire situation.

Fox shook his head, preparing to say no, but Dupont was uncurling herself from his lap and hauling herself onto her hind legs. She batted at the cage, trying to pull it down. It was lowered at her request and she slipped inside, curling up tightly.

‘Are you sure?’

She bobbed her head and closed her eyes.

Seeing her shut in a cage, so small and scared, didn’t sit right with Fox at all, but he had little choice. Dupont had the right idea. There was no telling if she’d lose herself again, hurt someone else or even escape. There was too much risk. It just didn’t mean he had to be happy about it.

So, Fox put the cage in the corner of the room and covered it with a blanket so no one could gawp at her. Absolon stayed close to her, signing and warming her, and Fox sat next to her cage, fixing up his shredded arm quietly and trying to ignore the dread of the swiftly approaching meeting.

For all Fox knew, Lithgow was going to betray Dupont, complete the curse and take her away. It made him anxious but he had no choice. Dupont was going to meet him, no matter what he said. All he could do was be there if it went south.

*

Esme sat in the empty basement of Badger’s smithy. Everything had been removed swiftly, taken out in boxes or into the tunnel throughout the night. An illegal-mage came and smothered the tunnel and removed the door, keeping the route safe in case this meeting fell apart.

She glanced at Fox, noting the bandaging on his forearm and instantly her face flushed pink. It still hurt. She could remember it all. It was like she was trapped in her own body, her mind something else, something more animal. She had been so scared and all she wanted to happen was to be let go. So she bit him. Hard. She still remembered the blood filling her mouth and it made her wonder how much pain she had caused Fox. The thought made her hate herself a little. She was meant to love Fox, not hurt him. But was also terrifying to her. The curse was growing fast now. For all she knew, she had one last night left before she’d be a fox forever.

It doesn’t matter now, Esme told herself. Lithgow would cure her soon. He was the only hope she had.

There had been a couple of chairs left behind. She sat on one, twiddling her fingers nervously, while Fox stubbornly sat on another. He had refused to leave her and it would make her heart flutter with joy if the reasons weren’t that he wanted to protect her.

‘Don’t trust him.’ Fox grumbled to himself.

‘So you have said.’

‘This is going to explode in your face, Dupont.’

‘So you have said.’

His jaw tightened and he scowled. ‘The Denver woman is manipulatin’ the Towers already. She has them in her pocket. What says Lithgow isn’t?’

‘That I trust him, Fox. He’s strong willed. Money nor magic will not sway him.’ Esme’s eyes flickered to Fox’s face. ‘He’d sooner die like my aunt than betray the Towers.’

That didn’t seem to ease him but he fell silent, his eyes continuing to scowl.

They sat in silence for some time. Every second, Esme grew increasingly giddy. The end of her journey was near. She’d be cured and safe. She glanced at the messy bandage on Fox’s arm. She’d never hurt him again.

‘Lithgow will fix me. I won’t turn into a fox anymore.’ Esme muttered softly, staring at the floor. ‘I need to see him.’

Fox clicked his tongue irritably. ‘Told you not to blame yourself for that.’

‘It is my fault though.’

‘No, it’s Denver’s.’

She didn’t feel it was. It was Esme who had shredded his arm, not Denver, and it hurt her heart.

Silence lapsed in again. Time ticked by, drawing closer to the time Lithgow was supposed to turn up. Absolon drifted in the air, awake for once and not bogged down by the heat. Esme grew increasingly nervous while Fox stiffened and his expression darkened.

When the clock chimed, the door slammed open. Both Esme and Fox stiffened as footsteps and voices could be heard. A voice Esme instantly recognised. Lithgow.

She didn’t wait. She shot up from her chair and rushed across the room, barrelling into a large, broad man before he had a chance to register what was happening. She didn’t realise she was crying and shaking, her fears just flooding out. Relief gripped her hard and turned her legs to jelly. She finally reached him. She finally was safe.

‘Esme?’ Lithgow’s gruff voice rumbled out of his chest, his accent as thick as Badger’s.

She pulled herself away roughly, dashed the tears and stood as proud and elegant as her aunt had taught her. Lithgow smiled at her, raising his ears and ruffling his greying beard. It was odd. She remembered him taller but now she was on an even level with his eyes. He was still as well-built as she remembered however and looked strong enough to snap her twiggy body in half.

‘Uncle Lithgow.’ Esme stammered in embarrassment, now aware Fox and Badger were watching curiously and warily. ‘I’m sorry.’

Lithgow laughed and tapped his palm against her cheek. ‘You’ve nothing to be sorry for.’ He glanced at the lonely chairs Fox stood by. ‘Let’s sit, niece. We’ll talk.’

‘I didn’t hurt her, Lithgow.’ Esme blabbed out. She couldn’t help herself. She couldn’t have Lithgow thinking she was the killer of her aunt.

‘I know, I know.’ He soothed, rubbing her shoulder as he propelled her into a chair.

‘But you’ve not tested my truth.’

‘Really, Esme, you think I need to?’ Lithgow scoffed, offended.

Those small comforting words were like a god-send to her. He knew that she hadn’t killed Cassandra. He had faith in her.

Fox hovered silently behind her, eyes scowling with mistrust at Lithgow. It didn’t have the intended effect as Lithgow barked a laugh.

‘Is he the one I’ve heard about? Your guide?’

Esme turned a little pink and nodded. ‘He nearly died once getting me here.’

Lithgow’s smile softened. ‘Then he definitely needs to be rewarded. I’ll write up a check for you once Esme is cleared.’

‘Don’t need your money.’ Fox hissed in insult. ‘I did it for her.’

Esme’s pink face turned a more vibrant shade and her heart jumped a little. Why did he always have to say something like that? She knew he had no love for her, not in the way she loved him at least. It made her a little frustrated her could twist up her heart from nerves and happiness so easily.

‘So, Esme.’ Litghow said in a low tone, leaning forward and grabbing her attention away from her thoughts of Fox. ‘Tell me exactly what happened.’

Esme did. It was hard recalling Cassandra’s death, especially as Lithgow’s expression darkened from rage and pain. She told him how she escaped, how Absolon and the three Spirits protected her. How Fox and the Fingers smuggled her across the country, all the while hounded by Sodden, until she finally arrived here in Badger’s hands.

Lithgow was silent throughout the whole story and only opened his mouth when, after carefully consideration, Esme told him about the God of Everwood.

‘He altered the whistle River Oak gave me.’ She said, holding out the whistle for him to hold in his large rough palms. ‘It’s helped me numerous times. River Willow bonded with me and Knoll Frangag came to our rescue. I’m just not quite sure how it all works.’

‘A whistle? And you’ve used it?’

‘Yes.’

‘That’s Witch magic, Esme.’

She flushed. While she didn’t hold the same prejudice like she used to since she met Glenna and Catriona, she still didn’t feel comfortable being told she’s acting like a Witch. It still felt insulting.

‘I know but I’m not a Witch.’

‘Technically you’re not a Wizard either.’ Lithgow commented then roughly held it out for her to take. ‘Cassandra told me about the Everwood God. I had warned her against keeping him hidden but she was determined.’ Lithgow sighed. ‘I wonder if that’s what got her killed. This mad plan to ease up on gods existing.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘The Towers currently kill all gods. No Spirit is allowed to exist beyond godhood. It’s too dangerous to our civilisation and too easy for the Towers to lose control. Cassandra, though, had this plan. While she understood some gods shouldn’t exist, like seasonal gods, and the Towers are there to protect people from magic, other gods should be left alone. A woodland god for example, like your Everwood god. They bring about healthy plants, plenty of game and create an almost perfect eco-system surrounding them. To her, that’s beneficial and doesn’t harm our society.’

‘But Denver says she wants to destroy the Towers.’

Lithgow scratched his beard. ‘That’s something I don’t understand either. Denver is here, as Badger told you, and she’s been parading around and putting on a good show on how sad she is Cassandra was murdered.’ His eyes darkened. ‘I don’t like how she’s got almost the Ivory Tower and almost the entirety of mine on her side. Something shady is going on here and she’s got much too much power too quickly.’

‘Is Dupont safe with you then?’ Fox asked warily.

Esme was wondering that too. Denver’s power was spreading unnaturally fast. She should have no say here, not in the Granite Tower’s domain. Only Lithgow’s word is law.

‘Yes. I am still the Grand Wizard but there are rumours they’re wanting to overthrow me; all of which started the moment Denver turned up.’ His eyes snapped to mine. ‘If we’re to fix this, we need to fix this soon, before I’m shoved out and Denver puts some puppet in my place.’

‘So, what’s the plan?’ Badger said, breaking his long silence.

‘I take Esme under house arrest. She’ll be in my Tower apartment, safe from Denver. I’ll get her truth with my Council present and disprove Denver’s lies. We’ll then test Denver’s truth, but there is a chance she might’ve changed it as a precaution. When that happens, we go to several Spirits and ask them. They see through all fake truths.’

‘But she’ll be safe with you? You’re sure?’ Fox demanded, his hand touching Esme’s shoulder protectively.

‘As safe as she is anywhere else.’ Lithgow said with a light smile.

‘And her curse?’

‘I’ll lift it tonight. Denver is no stronger than myself.’

Esme glanced up at Fox. He looked utterly unhappy and filled with mistrust. ‘Fox, I’ll be fine with Lithgow.’

He grunted and rolled his eyes.

‘We’ll be planning ourselves, Fox.’ Badger said. ‘Just in case things don’t work out, we need to get Dupont out and away to the next Tower.’

While the thought of running again didn’t appeal to her, she was glad someone was thinking of what to do in case everything exploded in her face. She hadn’t at all. She just assumed Lithgow would fix it all. She still did. But doubt was wriggling a little. Lithgow was losing control of his people and political power and Denver was undermining him fast. Was she really safe?

‘I’ll come with.’ Fox said firmly.

‘No.’ Lithgow rejected instantly. ‘No, stay away from the Tower.’

‘I don’t trust you and I don’t trust any Wizard. I’m stickin’ with Dupont.’

Lithgow had a mix of annoyance and appreciation on his face. ‘You don’t get a say, lad. You stay. I need you on the outside and away from Esme. If you get caught, she’ll have one less ally.’ Lithgow said sharply. ‘And Esme is my niece. I will die first before harming her.’

Fox didn’t seem convinced at all, his face was dark and angry. Esme reached out to touch his hand lightly.

‘I will be safe with him, Fox.’

He glanced down at me, his vibrant eyes alit with concern. He eventually shrugged and folded his arms.

‘Fine, do whatever.’

‘Then let’s go Esme. The faster I get you to the Tower, the safer you’ll be.’ Lithgow commanded, standing swiftly to make his way to the stairs. Badger followed him wordlessly.

Esme stood and glanced down at Fox. He still had the stubborn demeanour about him, as if his pride had been wounded.

‘I will contact you.’ Esme promised. ‘I will tell you if anything happens and if I need you.’

‘Thing is, you likely won’t.’ Fox said stiffly and raising his eyes to meet hers. ‘We split here. You get your truth you, Denver gets chucked in jail and we never see each other again.’

The words were like a punch to the stomach and a hot twisting knife to the heart. While Esme had always been aware they were likely to part forever, being face suddenly with the idea that this was the last time she’d ever see Fox was heart-breaking to her. Her hear swirled with panic.

‘We won’t?’

Fox frowned. ‘Of course. We live in different worlds. You might not even go back to Lakeside and stay here, find a husband of your class and have kids or whatever but we won’t bump into each other again.’

She stared at him, her eyes sore and throat dry. Her heart tightening up with pain as she gazed at him. She took in his eyes, his mouth, neck, his hair, everything and told herself this was it. It was over.

It was a battle to swallow down the desire to tell him then and there how she felt. Nothing good would come of it though. It would just make things awkward and uncomfortable, not magically fix it so they’d be together forever. He didn’t love her and they were always meant to part. She was just facing it a little unexpectedly.

So instead she smiled through the pain and held out her hand. Fox glanced down at it before cautiously slipped his hand around hers. Her heart ached at feeling his hand, how rough, warm and strong it was. She shook it once.

‘Thank you for everything, Fox. If you ever, ever, need anything, find me.’

Fox nodded his head stiffly and quickly removed his hand and stuffed it in his pockets. There was nothing else to say. With a heavy heart and such aching pain swelling up she just wanted to crumple up and cry, Esme called Absolon to her arms and turned to the outstretched hand of her uncle. She gripped it and he hurried her away, swiftly taking the little man Esme loved from her sight and her life.