Vulpine Summer

Chapter Sixty-Four

Fox stared at the tiled kitchen floor, his fingers toying with Esme’s whistles that hung lightly around his neck. Worry filled him. Worry and anger. It gnawed away at him to the point he felt a little sick.

‘Fox?’ Bull called as she slaved over the stove.

Fox grunted as he pulled himself out of his thoughts and glanced up. Bull was staring at him, her eyes firm yet worried.

‘You’ve not said a word since you came in, lad.’ She pointed out and continued her cooking.

‘Nothin’ to worry about.’ Fox grumbled

Bull snorted. ‘Yeah, sure.’ She said. ‘How’s our Vixen holding up?’

Fox’s expression twisted into a mix of anger and pain as he recalled the mess of Esme’s head. When Dupont told him about the danger of her truth all those weeks ago, he hadn’t thought much of it. In fact, he didn’t understand the fear of it at all. Now, as Esme constantly cried, her eyes hollowed with agony and defeat and her constant declaration she had killed her aunt, despite the evidence pointing otherwise, he understood. Her brain her been ripped apart and mashed back together, destroying the woman he had gotten to know. Gone was her fire and pride, her smile and snappish remarks; all that was left was a hollow shell.

‘Not great.’ He said thickly as he throat swelled with rage. ‘She’s not great.’

Bull glanced at Fox, frowning. ‘Well, magic is a nasty thing, it’s why we have the Towers, to keep it all in check.’

‘But no one is keepin’ Denver in check. They’re lettin’ her do whatever.’

Bull didn’t have anything to say to that. ‘Well, we’ll get the lass better. Lithgow is out there, hunting down a Spirit to confirm Vixen’s truth.’

‘Don’t see why he don’t just use that Lord Bulwark.’

‘It’s tied to the Tower, lad. It’s bound to obey him. A wild one is best.’

Fox scowled, wanting to point out that wild ones don’t exactly go out of their way for strangers, but he’d already gone around in circles with Lithgow about it. Instead he sighed heavily and leaned back in his chair, folding his arms and scowling. He felt tense. Really tense. The longer this went on, the more likely Denver and Sodden would find them. There was no way there were safe here for much longer. It made him twitchy, constantly wondering if the next time the basement door opened he’d be bombarded with magic and burned alive and Esme would be taken and hung. The quicker Esme had her real truth revealed, the better for her sanity and his.

‘Want this over with.’

‘Aye, we know. We all do.’ Bull agreed then whirled around with a place of food. ‘Take it to her. Make sure she eats it all. That curse has been making her refuse food since her imprisonment apparently.’

Fox just nodded curtly and snatched up the plate, trying his best to not get too angry about Dupont’s cursed depression. Esme wasn’t in that hellhole anymore. She was with him and he’d make sure she was safe and cared for.

Fox swept out from Badger’s apartment and scurried down through the shop and into the basement, avoiding thieves and blacksmiths alike as they went about their frantic work. He hesitated when he reached Esme’s makeshift room. He felt this coil of anxiety in the pit of his stomach. Fear. Was she going to be calm still? Or would she freak out again and refuse to eat? He had to make her eat.

He juggled the doorknob and slipped inside. The silence that met him was both a godsend and a worry. He glanced about, momentarily panicked when he didn’t see her, thinking she had done a runner, until he noticed the lump in the bed and the wave of black hair on the pillow and Absolon rotund body dozing in the middle. He breathed a sigh of relief. She was still safe.

‘Dupont.’ Fox called as he made his way across the rickety floorboards, kicking across an empty box to act as a table of some kind.

He put the plate on it then towered over the lump. She hadn’t moved but she was breathing evenly. She was asleep.

He reached out and gripped her shoulder lightly, shaking her. ‘Dupont. Bull’s made you food.’

Esme stirred beneath the blanket and pulled the hem down far enough that she could stare up at him sleepily. His chest tightened at the wide, doleful gaze. ‘Food?’

‘Yeah.’

He didn’t like how her eyes grew glassy, a sure sign the curse was kicking into overdrive, then she turned away, obviously rejecting the idea. Fox wasn’t having it though. He grabbed the blanket it and yanked it off, making her squeal in shock and tossing Absolon into the air.

‘You eat! Bull’s been nice enough to make you a meal, so you be nice enough to eat it.’ He snapped.

Esme turned to him miserably, clearly torn, and then her stomach growled horrifically. Fox folded his arms and stared down at her until she eventually broke. She sat up and shuffled over to stare at the plate. She didn’t make a move, not even when Absolon attached himself to her head. She just stared sadly.

‘It’s gettin’ cold.’ Fox pointed out as he pulled up a rackety old chair and sat heavily in it.

She glanced up at him nervously and, with a wobbly mouth, was about to speak, but Fox raised his hand sharply. He’d heard too many times how she didn’t deserve anything; the air she breathed and the kindness of her uncle and himself. Each time he heard it broke him a little inside.

‘Dupont, don’t you go tellin’ me you don’t deserve it. You don’t get to decide that.’

‘But-‘ She stammered.

‘Seriously, just eat. You deserve it.’ Fox said firmly then leaned forward, his eyes scowling. ‘Remember what you promised. Don’t trust you; trust me and Lithgow. And I say eat.’

Her desire to keep her promise overrode the curse in her head; shackling her from anything but self-hate. She eventually picked up a raw carrot and began to nibble at it. She chewed slowly, looking miserable but increasingly hungry. Soon she was scoffing it down and it made Fox feel a little bit lighter.

Neither of them said a word. Fox just watched over her as she filled up her belly, smiling softly to himself. He’d done something to protect her from the curse and she was managing to resist it a little. Maybe, just maybe, things would go their way and everything would be fine.

But, very quickly, Fox realised he had spoken too soon when the door burst open and Bull appeared. She was scowling, her eyes ablaze.

‘Police.’ She snapped.

Fox was on his feet instantly as his stomach plummeted and knotted itself. This was what he had feared; that they’d be found long before Lithgow could get himself a trusted Spirit. His palms began to sweat.

‘Where?’

‘At our bloody front door. Badger’s holding ‘em back but we don’t have much time, lad. They’re going to strip this place apart and find our Vixen.’

When Fox saw Esme open her sad mouth, he rounded on her irritably, knowing full well what was going to be said. ‘Don’t you go sayin’ anythin’ stupid, Esme! I’m not handin’ you over to anyone!’

For once, a new expression came over her features; something pink and warm that brought some vibrancy back. She fell silent.

‘I’ve gotta get you two out through that tunnel then we’ve gotta block it. Grab what you can. We have seconds!’ Bull shouted.

Fox dove beside the bed, snatching up the raggedy, age-old pack that had been with them since the beginning. He’d already armed it to the teeth with necessities and quickly swung it over onto his back. He slapped his hand along his chest, making sure the whistles were still there, secured his glove on his arm then turned onto Esme, who was watching him quietly. He swiftly snatched up her hand, tugging her gently onto her feet.

‘We’re goin’ Dupont. Get some shoes on.’

‘But I’m not dressed appropriately.’ She said softly, tugging at the nightdress Bull had dressed her in after scrubbing away the dirt and tending to the wounds the night before.

‘I have clothes. Right now, we need to keep our bloody skin on.’

‘Fox is right, Vic. You can dress later.’ Bull said urgently and waved at them to hurry.

Fox dragged her to the door the moment she had stuffed her feet into boots a little too big for her. Luckily she was pliant and willing, letting Fox drag her out of the room and straight towards door covering the tunnels entrance. The thieves were rushing about, removing what items they could that would blatantly scream Badger was a Fence and that he was hiding Esme Dupont. Seeing such frantic energy just grated on Fox, making him feel more tense than ever.

Bull was ahead of them, snatching at the door and yanking it open a little too violently. Before Fox yawned that tunnel he had traversed before; dark, damp and almost unending.

‘You go in alone this time.’ Bull said. ‘You good with that?’

‘Yeah.’ Fox said firmly. He wasn’t.

‘As soon as you’re in, run. Run and don’t stop. I’ll give you thirty seconds to clear yourselves away from the door and then we’re shutting down the tunnel. And I mean shutting it down. Literrally. So don’t get trapped in the rubble and don’t think you can turn back either.’ Bull instructed.

‘Yeah. I hear.’ Fox reiterated.

She slapped his shoulder firmly. ‘Aye, good lad.’ She glanced at Dupont and secured a small light over her head. ‘Don’t fret. This is just a small hiccup is all.’

All Dupont could do was nod lightly and mutely.

‘Right. You two get going. On the other side, Badger said there’ll be a man waiting. As usual, wait for him to say Vixen. He’ll guide you to a safehouse nearby. We’ll meet up with you there. If we don’t, flee far and fast.’

Fox stiffened when thumping and shouting began to be heard upstairs. He felt Esme’s hand tighten around his and she shuffled closer, eyes alert. Absolon whistled worriedly.

‘Now get going!’ Bull snapped and shoved them towards the tunnel. ‘Get her somewhere safe Fox! I’m trusting you to!’

Fox just nodded before he dragged Esme, and in turn Absolon, into the damp tunnel.

As Bull instructed, he ran. They both did. Esme would stumble here and there, her feet snagging on rocks as the oversized boots slipped awkwardly, but continued to run as frantically as they could. Bull would have no idea how far in they’d be and he had no idea how big the collapse was going to be. He just had to get enough space between himself and the entrance.

Abruptly the earth shifted. It shook violently, rumbling so deeply it rattled his head and tore loose granite from the ceiling. He tried to keep running, to keep Esme from the collapse, but the Esme couldn’t keep her feet planted on the shifting earth anymore and collapsed, dragging him down with her. All he could do now was grab her and hold her close, trying to shield her the best he could. A cloud of dust bloomed from the doorway, sweeping up to swallow them whole as an almighty crash ripped through the cold air.

And then silence.

Fox coughed hard, trying to clear out the grit and dust that had lodged itself into his throat. He heard Esme coughing into his chest and Absolon sneezing above.

He awkwardly fumbled about for the lamp on his forehead, switching it on as he pushed himself up. Before him, barely a foot away, as a massive mound of earth. Pebbles plinked down here and there and the dust continued to whirl from the collapse. But they were alive.

‘Made it, Esme.’ Fox sighed in relief then glanced down.

He instantly froze. Esme was beneath him, gazing up at him with warm eyes and her lips parted invitingly. The sight made his blood quicken and ears roar. Gently as she could, Esme reached up and began to ruffle his hair, clearing it of the thick layer of brown dust clinging to him. Her hand then proceeded to work down, touching his face with the cuff of her sleeve. She cleaned him slowly and meticulously, her eyes never leaving his face. For once, not a touch of misery was there in her golden eyes. For once, peace was there. Contentment. And Fox found he couldn’t take his eyes away from her. His chest tightened and his mind went numb. All he could see and feel was her. She was close to him, still partly shielded by his own body, and he felt her warmth beneath him, smelt her scent tickling his nose. Her soft fingers brushed his cheeks, a sensation that turned his skin warm, and her eyes gazed at him as if she wasn’t seeing anything else but him.

The moment, whatever it was, was broken when Absolon began to help, ruffling his air and singing as he wiggled his arms merrily. Fox’s strange hypnotised state popped like a bubble, leaving him feeling flustered and eager to detach himself from her.

He quickly stood him, pushing himself away, and dusted himself down frantically.

‘Right. We’d best get movin’.’ Fox said, coughing hard when his voice came out thick and husky.

‘Yes.’ Esme echoed and, when he glanced down at her, he noticed her eyes were glassing over. The curse was coming back, seeping into her thoughts.

Trying to ignore the bereft sensation that his Esme was gone again, he helped her onto her feet and switched on her light as she daintily brushed her hair free of dirt.

‘Let’s go.’

‘Do you remember where to go?’ Esme asked, suddenly alarmed. ‘This tunnel has various routes, if I remember rightly.’

‘Yes, of course I do.’ Fox scoffed. ‘It’s part of my job to remember things like that.’

Esme didn’t say anything. Normally she would say something rude but she didn’t say anything at all. She just bobbed her head and stared.

He took the lead, stepping off into the darkness that made his whole being tense. He could hear Esme following behind with Absolon singing soothingly as he picked out dirt from her hair. A mix of her lethargic way of walking and her large boots meant she was constantly tripping and stumbling. When she fell to her knees the forth time, grazing them against a sharp rock and drawing blood, Fox gave in.

He hunkered down in front of her and held out his hand. Esme glanced at him with confusion then joy, lifting the glassy gaze from her eyes slightly. It made his blood heat up. Just the idea of touching his hand was enough to push the curse back. It oddly made him flustered.

She slipped her hand into his and he held it for a second, letting his thumb brush the soft skin. Then he pulled her up and gazed up at her.

‘No more fallin’, okay?’

She smiled warmly and nodded. ‘Yes, Fox.’

He didn’t like how much he liked that smile.

Fox turned and set off again, keeping Esme’s hand firmly clasped in his. She didn’t trip anymore and her walking improved as her steps had become longer and more sure-footed. When he glanced back at her, there was a small smile playing at her mouth and the glassy eyed expression was kept at bay.

It was strange that he had this kind of affect on her. That he had the power to keep such a terrible curse away from her. But however he was doing it, it made him more determined to keep her safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Health should be getting better now so hopefully back to weekly updates in April.