Vulpine Summer

Chapter Sixty-Six

Fox woke with a start, his lungs raggedly inhaling a large gulp of air. He couldn’t see, his eyes were covered with something, and, for a moment, he couldn’t move. His whole body was numb and incredibly cold, as if his whole being was made of ice.

Fox sucked in the damp, musty air, trying to calm himself as panic began to flutter in his chest. Memories flourished in his eyes. Memories of Sodden and that damned Spirit that put both him and Esme to sleep.

Esme. Her kiss.

Fox shoved aside the memory, trying to ignore the tight fluttering in his chest and how his mind seemed to drift off at the thought of it. He was captured, the worst case scenario. He had no time to think about Esme and her kiss and how warm she was or how she tasted.

No! Control yourself! Fox snarled at himself and the Esme in his mind’s eyes vanished. He could think a little clearer now.

Gradually feeling came back, enough that he began to feel something around his wrists. Handcuffs.
Now he had enough strength back, Fox wriggled to sit up, glad to find his hands were tied in front of him, and tore the cloth from his head.

Instantly his stomach dropped. Surrounding him was the exact some walls he had seen Esme in before. The walls of the highest tier of cells. Worst yet, he was alone. Esme wasn’t beside him.
Fox’s heart tightened with panic. Just where was she? He had promised her he’d keep her safe and out of Denver’s clutches. And then there was the curse, making her believe she had murdered her aunt. Esme would just hand herself over with a little bow attached! She wouldn’t fight! He’d failed her. Again.

‘Esme!’ Fox croaked out hoarsely, his voice catching in his dry throat.

‘Fox?’ Someone replied, but not who he was expecting.

‘Bull?’

A relieved laugh echoed from her. ‘Oh, good, you’re awake, lad.’

Fox felt his stomach tightening more. Bull was in here with him and Esme, locked up. Caught.
‘Where’s Badger?’

‘In here with us, I’m afraid. All of us got caught. Didn’t stand a chance! Those White Wizards are swift when they get their nose to the grindstone.’ Bull replied calmly. ‘Bit of a mess we’re in.’

‘You don’t say.’ Fox snapped, his brain going into overdrive as he tried to pull some kind of escape plan from thin air. ‘Where’s Esme?’

‘Don’t know. Didn’t see her being dragged in with you. Safe to say she’s somewhere else.’

Fox groaned and smashed his head against the bars, squeezing his eyes shut. Everything had fallen apart so fast and he was struggling to grasp some of the strands to pull it back together.

‘Don’t go fussing, lad.’
‘Now’s the perfect time to fuss, Bull!’ He snarled.

‘We have a wild card. Don’t you go forgetting about a certain man wondering around trying to find Esme’s truth.’

Fox stiffened as hope blossomed. Grand Wizard Lithgow hadn’t been caught. He was out of the smithy when the police descended, meaning he was out there somewhere still, traipsing around trying to find a Spirit.

‘Is he goin’ to be able to bail us though?’

‘Don’t know, lad, but he’s better than nothing.’

Fox wasn’t so sure. The Grand Wizard didn’t have the political power he was meant to have with Denver around.

‘I’ll think of somethin’ Bull.’

Bull laughed. ‘Our strength is stealth, Fox. Everyone knows we’re here. Ain’t none of us thieves getting out.’

It didn’t stop Fox from trying all the same. He squeezed his eyes shut and thought hard, right up until something went weird. All of a sudden his vision was warped, swirling about him in a way that made him want to throw up. He felt his stomach clench, his muscles stiffen and his eyes ache. He’d felt this before, when Lithgow had teleported him out of the Tower.

‘Crap.’ Fox hissed.

He went pale and gripped the bars of his cell tightly, trying to ground himself, but it was too much. Whatever was pulling him through the world succeeded.

The floor gave way for a second, making his feet slam against the fresh carpet with such force his legs jarred, causing him to collapse heavily. Fox wheezed and remained where he landed for a few seconds, trying to orientate himself. His whole body was sweating and his muscles convulsed, making him want to vomit. But he couldn’t let himself have the time to recover. Someone was in the room with him, someone who smelt of expensive perfume and smoke.

Fox forced himself to his feet, swaying a little and scowling at the first face he found.
Suellen Denver.

Anger pushed down the rising bile and fear turned into mad courage as he stared at Denver, her pretty face perfectly painted and her eyes watching him with curiosity. Across the room from her was Sodden, looming threating with his Whistles on display. No one else was in the expensive room, draped in red silk and cream paint.

Fox stood straight, his anger burning his eyes, and scowled at the pair of them.

‘Where’s Esme?’ Fox spat out. It hadn’t been what he intended to say, he wanted to know why he’d dragged him to her, but it was the words that tumbled out of his mouth all the same.

‘Elsewhere.’ Denver said vaguely as she stood. She swept over to Fox, her eyes never leaving his face. She didn’t say a word as she circled him. He didn’t like it. It made him feel on edge.

‘Why have you pulled me out of that cell?’

‘You’re the thief, aren’t you?’ Denver said, ignoring his question as she came to stand before him.

‘A thief.’ Fox corrected warily.

‘No, the thief. The one on the wharf when Lake Tranquil attacked me. The one who spirited Esme Dupont away, who kept her hidden from even Sodden.’ She pressed a long finger into his chest. ‘You are the thief.’

Fox chose to say nothing now. He could see the irritation rising in her eyes, twisting her face into an darkening scowl.

‘How did you do it?’

Fox remained deathly silent, making Denver laugh lightly and raising a hand. A thick Grimoire fluttered from the coffee table and came to rest beneath her fingers, its pages open ominously.
‘I have other ways to get information from you.’

‘I know you’re a bitch of a Wizard, I don’t need remindin’.’ Fox hissed, fear of the book turning into barbed words.

Denver’s expression stiffened then turned into a glower. ‘I am no Wizard. I am not like them.’ She snarled.

Fox didn’t let the surprise etch onto his features. He expected she had been power hungry, desperate to control the Towers, but she found being called a Wizard insulting.

Denver composed herself quickly. ‘I do not need to explain myself to a thief, but you need to explain yourself to me.’

‘Then magic away, bitch.’ Fox snapped back. ‘You ain’t gettin’ nothin’ from me.’

Once again, Fox found himself ignored as Denver continued. ‘How did you do it?’ Denver demanded. ‘You haven’t an ounce of magic in you. There’s nothing! So how have you done it?’

‘It’s not that hard to make someone disappear.’

‘I am not talking about that!’ Denver snapped. ‘I am talking about the truth! Since Esme has been returned to me, she is focused! Just blathering about you, Lithgow and her promise to you!’ Denver bore down on him, her eyes flashing. ‘The spell I put on her is meant to reduce her to nothing but a blubbering mess, thinking nothing of the new truth I put in her! Instead I find her sane, calm and asking to wait for Lithgow before she’s sent away! So how did you do it? How have you begun to untangle it?’

Fox had no idea what she was talking about. He’d done nothing to Esme, it was impossible for him to.

‘As much as I’d love to undo whatever hell you’ve dumped her in, I’ve done nothin’.’ Fox snapped. ‘I’ve got no magic! You probably just screwed it up.’

Denver turned red at the slight then whirled on Sodden. ‘Get this boy in a chair. Now.’

Fox didn’t bother trying to evade Sodden’s grasping hands. There was no point and all that would happen was Denver would get angrier. He didn’t want to upset her too much, not while she had the Grimoire to hand. So he let Sodden pull him firmly across the room and pushed him into a chair. Sodden’s hand never left Fox’s shoulder, no matter how much he glared. His grip hurt.

Denver wasn’t paying any attention to him anymore and instead was focused on her Grimoire. Light was beginning to spill from the pages; white with flashes of yellow flickering out like lightning. The air began to crackle, creating a strange pressure, as if someone was pressing down on his shoulders. It grew so bright Fox couldn’t look at it anymore, it burned his eyes too much, and then, it stopped.
Fox opened his eyes and instantly he was on his feet. Before Denver, looking grubby and confused with her hands cuffed, was Esme.

‘Esme!’ He shouted, a mix of relief and fear, and tried to go to her but found Sodden’s grip tighten and shove him back into the chair uncomfortably hard.

‘Not a word.’ Sodden warned as Esme straightened, stepping away from Denver as she looked about manically.

‘Fox?’ Esme called out in confusion, her eyes locking onto him. Fear flittered across her features, followed swiftly by outrage. ‘You can’t arrest Fox, Denver!’ She blustered, trying to get to him but finding Denver firmly in the way.

Like Denver had done to Fox, Denver simply ignored whatever came out of Esme’s mouth and focused only on what she wanted to know.

‘Esme, you know this man?’

‘Of course I do. I…blackmailed him to smuggle me across the country to my uncle. Whatever he did, he did because he had little choice. He was no willing accomplice. Let him go Denver!’ Esme said, her tone becoming increasingly heated. She began to draw herself straight and the old flash of haughtiness crept into her honey eyes. The sight made Fox’s chest warm and a smile to touch his mouth.

Denver was silent, staring down at Esme blankly. ‘He is an accomplice. He will be tried, alongside the other thieves.’

Esme raised her chin in defiance. ‘All blackmailed or under the strong belief I am innocent.’

‘And are you?’

‘Of course she bloody is!’ Fox snarled, earning himself a cuff around the head from Sodden.
Esme’s eyes widened and once again tried to get to him but Denver wouldn’t let her move.

‘Are you innocent, Esme?’ Denver hissed.

Esme stared at Denver, unable to speak, but Fox noticed the fire going out of her. Her shoulders sagged slightly and her honey eyes clouded. His jaw tightened in anger.

‘Answer the question Esme!’

She flinched. ‘I’m…I’m not.’ She hesitated though, Fox noticed.

‘Then recount what you did! Tell me what how your murdered Cassandra Bloxham!’

Esme’s expression was swallowed up in an instant. Her eyes faded, her mouth tugged into a miserable frown and she made herself small before Denver, cowering. She buried her face in her hands.

‘No.’ She moaned out.

‘Recount it, Esme!’ Denver demanded savagely.

Fox couldn’t take it anymore. He wriggled free of Sodden’s grasp, standing up powerfully.
‘Esme, you didn’t do it! Denver did!’ Fox snarled hotly, grabbing her attention. She lowered her hands enough so she could look at him, her honey eyes full of despair. It made his chest hurt. ‘You did nothing wrong! It’s that bloody curse!’

‘Silence him, Sodden!’

Sodden had grasped his shoulder and had shoved him back down into the chair hard.

‘Esme, remember your promise! Remember to trust me and me only, and I say screw her! Lying bitch!’ Fox managed to shout out to her before Sodden’s fist connected with his jaw heavily. The contact hurt worse than Fox thought possible of Sodden. His jaw locked painfully and very quickly began to taste blood.

‘Fox!’ Esme cried out.

She managed to wriggle passed Denver and take a few powerful steps forward, determined to get to him, until Denver arrested her arm firmly. But Esme didn’t cower away this time. Once again, the fire was back and she whirled on Denver, standing tall and proud.

‘Don’t you dare hurt him, Suellen!’ Esme snapped.

All of a sudden, Denver froze. She glanced from Esme to Fox and then back at Esme again. Slowly, a smile began to play at her mouth.

‘Oh, I see now. I see how he’s done it.’ She raised her hand and the Grimoire snapped to attention.
‘See what?’ Esme stammered, glancing at Fox fretfully.

Fox watched warily, touching his split lip carefully with his tongue. He didn’t like the understanding on Denver’s face. Whatever information she was after, he and Esme had just given it over, he just didn’t get how.

The spell began to glow from the Grimoire once again, the same white colour floating from its pages and thick pressure that pushed at Fox’s head.

‘What’re you doing?’ Fox demanded, suddenly frightful she was going to hurt Esme.

‘It’s fine, Fox. She’s just sending me back.’ Esme said, her voice warbling from the magic spilling from the book.

‘That’s not fine, Esme!’ Fox snapped hotly, trying his best to fight the urge to just leap up and hold her close. He didn’t want her to vanish again. ‘Where does she send you? I’ll get us out!’

‘I don’t know.’ She took a few tentative steps closer to him, her eyes locking onto him. ‘I’ll be fine.’

She smiled weakly and her eyes stared at him sadly, roaming his face almost lovingly. And then she vanished, her body dropping away into tiny lights.

‘Esme!’ Fox shouted out, his heart in his mouth. Despite Esme telling him she was just being sent away, it didn’t comfort him to see her just fall apart like that. Like she had just been killed.

Suellen’s Grimoire snapped shut and she let out a relieved laugh. ‘Goodness. All this fuss over nothing.’ She laughed again. ‘I have no idea how you have done it, thief, but well done.’

‘Done what?’ Fox snarled, tearing his eyes away from the glimmering specs that had once been Esme.

‘To get her to fall in love with you.’

Everything froze for a moment. His heart stopped beating, his ears burned and his lungs stopped breathing. In love. Esme was in love with him? The kiss floated in his mind’s eyes, that warm, tender kiss, and then he shook his head madly. She didn’t, couldn’t, and it didn’t matter right now. Did it?

Fox kept his cool outwardly, even as his body melted with uncontrolled joy, and barked a sharp laugh. ‘Esme Dupont is too rich to fall for the likes of me. Thief, remember? She hates ‘em.’

That’s right, Fox reminded himself. He was dirt compared to her. No way she loved him.

‘Oh, no. She does. I see it in her eyes, there’s a passion there when she looks at you. And then there is the weakening grip of my spell. The only thing that can shake my fake truth is willpower. Esme has the willpower to fight the spell when you’re around her. You give her strength, a reason to fight and someone other than herself to trust.’ She frowned sharply. ‘Which makes you dangerous. I can’t have you around her.’

Fox’s stomach dropped and his blood turned cold the moment she looked up at Sodden. She sniffed.

‘Kill him, then Esme will break utterly.’ She said simply then turned and strode out of the room.

Fox didn’t hear the door close. He was too focused on the cold barrel that was sudden pressed against his head.

This isn’t happening, he thought numbly to himself. Yes, he had always known death was part of the risk by following Esme. He knew that, but he never really believed he’d die. He began to think maybe he shouldn’t have done it after all and just abandoned the Eye, but deep down he never truly believed that. He didn’t regret helping Esme. He didn’t regret letting her barrel into his life and take control of it, bringing frustrated arguments and weirdly pleasing companionship. He didn’t regret to see such an array of expressions on her face, her eyes always giving away her thoughts, holding her hand or having her sleep on his lap, her fox-shape keeping him comforted every night. All he regretted was that he didn’t notice before she loved him. He can see it now, the signs were obvious. Her pink flushes, warm gazes and tender smiles, how she slept beside him willingly and always found a reason to touch him in some manner. She looked at him like no other had. But most of all, he regretted that he didn’t get to kiss her one last time. He really did like the first one. Such a sweet kiss.

‘Any last words, thief known as Fox?’ Sodden asked kindly.

‘Aye. Hope that bitch burns.’ He snarled bitterly.

Sodden didn’t say another word, just pulled the trigger of the gun pressed against Fox’s skull and let the bullet fly.