Vulpine Summer

Chapter Sixty-Nine

Esme was feeling a little overwhelmed. In the space of only a few seconds she had gone from feeling absolute despair, to anger at her whistles being ripped from Absolon and then sheer joy that Fox was alive, standing as tall as he could with that stubborn glint in his eye. It made her feel a little sick and swamped as her emotions were pulled and shoved about so rapidly. It made her head hurt a little but the waves of guilt she felt and pressing memories boring down on her abated. She could think again.

But her joy was becoming incredibly short lived as Denver’s nails dug into her skin, pressing down painfully into her wrist. The anger emanating from her was great, washing over Esme in waves. It made her feel a little frightened, especially when she glanced at her uncle and the stranger, their faces grim and dark. A fight was going to break out and magically charged fights never ended well, especially for those uninvolved who just had the misfortune of being close by.

‘Hello, Suellen Denver. We have come to retrieve my niece.’

‘Lithgow, she has been charged already. Tried fairly and found guilty.’ Denver sniffed, scowling savagely. ‘And you have been stripped of your power. You hold no say over whether she is tried again or not.’

‘Technically, no. My position was removed while avoiding the most basic laws and regulations. The stripping was illegal, Suellen. I remain in charge until it’s done properly.’ Lithgow said sharply. ‘And I want my niece tried by Spirit. I want her truth tested.’

A red smile came over her features. ‘But your niece has admitted to this murder over and over, Lithgow. It’s almost as if you don’t care about gaining justice for Grand Wizard Bloxham.’

Lithgow stiffened, his expression darkening, while the strange held up her hand. ‘Miss Denver. I have a Spirit at my disposal, ready to come test the truth. It is a Spirit not bound to me, free of any ties. I can call it now and get this over with, and then we’ll be on our way.’

Denver scowled at the woman irritably. ‘And who are you?’

‘Effie McGill. Mother Witch of the Mossy Glenn Coven.’ She said, smiling easily.

Esme found herself feeling surprised. What was a Mother Witch doing here? Esme had spoken her truth, she had killed her aunt (or had she?). She knew Denver felt the same. Her pale face paled more, making her make-up look that much darker and vibrant.

‘Esme Dupont has already been tried for truths, Madama McGill.’ Denver said stiffly. ‘There’s no need.’

Effie smiled brighter. ‘Grand Wizard Lithgow, however, strongly believes there is. I do this to help him. If Esme is speaking her real truth, then he can let her go and move on. It will only take a few moments, I assure you. The Spirit is made of truth itself.’

That didn’t settle Denver however and in fact made her angrier. Her grip on Esme’s wrist was so tight now that Esme was wincing and trying to pry herself loose, to no avail. Abruptly, with only a gentle gust of wind to announce his presence, Sodden was beside her, holding her Grimoire and a whistle in his mouth. Denver shot him a withering stare.

‘Sodden. You failed me.’

‘The Spirit of this Tower got him out.’ Sodden said. ‘I didn’t think him important enough to chase.’

‘Important enough?’

‘So long as Esme Dupont believed him dead, that’s enough. But he’s shown himself.’ Sodden stepped forward, bowing slightly. ‘I’m sorry, Madama McGill, but we must be on our way. No testing of Esme Dupont’s truth will happen.’

‘And why’s that, wandering Druid?’

‘Because we have worked too hard.’ Sodden said easily.

‘Sodden!’ Denver hissed in alarm. ‘What are you doing, you fool?’

‘What have you worked too hard?’ Effie asked warily.

‘Don’t explain yourself, Sodden!’

Sodden ignored her however. ‘The destruction of the Towers. Denver came to me, asking if there was another way. She was hurting, having once again slain another harmless Spirit who had grown too old and powerful. A protection Spirit, like the Sprite here. She hated slaying Spirits, killing them for the only crime of growing old. She hated the Towers, their games and political bickering, how they bowed to humans whim, often resulting in war and death.’ He explained coolly. ‘I told her we could reform the Towers, tear them down and build them back up, combine with the Witches. Turn them into beacons of magic, protectors of the Spirits, Sprites and Gods and guide humans rather than be used as tools. She agreed.’

‘And what about Cassandra?’

Esme felt Denver’s grip slacken slightly then tighten again just as quickly. Her memory crackled, her aunt dying in front of her changing.

‘Sodden.’ Denver warned.

‘She wanted Cassandra on side. She wanted her help. Cassandra said no.’

While Lithgow’s face remained passive, his whole body was tight with infuriated anger. ‘So you killed her Denver.’

‘No, Esme Dupont did. I didn’t harm Cassandra Bloxham.’

Sodden smiled at Denver warmly. ‘Suellen, don’t worry. Be honest.’

Denver glanced wildly from Lithgow to Sodden, her cheeks pale and mouth pressed into a thin line. Slowly, her defiant gaze filled with pain. ‘Yes. I killed her. I had to. She was the head of the Tower, she had the power to reform it.’

Something in Esme’s head snapped. The memories that had been hounding her, bloody and dark, suddenly broke. They unravelled, revealing the truth beneath; how Esme had discovered Denver poisoning her aunt, killing her in such a horrific manner. How Esme had leapt from the Tower, chased by a shape-changing spell. How River Oak and Lake Tranquil had helped her, how she had blackmailed Fox to get him to bring her here, to prove her innocence. It was like a massive weight had lifted from her, like she had come to the end of a never ending maze. She understood. She remembered. Esme wasn’t a killer.

‘Really, Denver? How naïve are you?’ Lithgow snarled. ‘Cassandra has no power to reform, not unless her Council is on side.’

‘She said she wouldn’t! She wouldn’t get them on side! That gods were dangerous!’

‘Gods are dangerous, you silly lass!’ Effie cried out in dismay. ‘Gods are incredibly dangerous! Do you know how much damage a god of winter would cause? A god of plague, or war or paranoia? They’d tear these lands apart without lifting a finger!’

‘But what about the protection gods, or woodland and lake gods! Those gods that bring health to the lands they touch, brining fertility and bountiful harvest! We still kill those! And Cassandra only ever watched and voiced disappointment! She had the power to do more!’ Denver snarled, her eyes rimming with tears. ‘I wanted her to do more!’

‘She was.’ Esme whispered as she remembered the Everwood God. That beast that still roamed the Spirit Paths of Everwood, that God Cassandra had said died long ago. Suddenly, Esme realised what her aunt had been doing. She had been testing her theory, gathering proof and information to bring to her Council. A way to protect gods of peace and growth. She was trying to change the Towers a little and bend its proud, rigid back.

Denver whirled on her. ‘What did you say?’

‘She was doing something about it.’

Denver stared, her mouth wobbling and eyes glittering in disbelief and regret, before she snapped into a snarl. ‘If she was, she didn’t voice it to me. I would’ve helped her.’

‘She clearly didn’t trust you.’ Esme said darkly, hate churning in the pit of her stomach. ‘You killed her after all.’

‘And doing so was absolutely stupid!’ Effie snapped. ‘There is no way the Witches and the Towers are going to converge!’

‘Only because of petty pride!’ Denver corrected savagely, whirling on her.

‘Incorrect! This clearly shows how little you understand things!’ Effie laughed. ‘The Witches and the Towers have different jobs. The Towers were made to protect humans. They did what had to be done to ensure their survival, to support them, push them forward. Wizards slay Spirits and Gods deemed a danger to humans or capture them in wards to use as magic. That was their goal. The knights of humanity.’ Effie sniffed. ‘Witches however, our job is protect nature. We ensure balance is guarded, keeping Spirits and Gods alive for as long as possible. We are the boogeymen of humanity. Humans won’t dare touch places that are claimed by witches. Do you know why?’ Denver didn’t respond and just scowled haughtily. ‘Because we are feared! And by being feared, humans won’t touch certain lands and forest, where Spirits and Gods roam, regulated by us.’ She smiled softly. ‘The rivalry between Wizards and Witches are manufactured. Wizards take pride in their job of guarding humans and their cities and will go to great lengths to ensure their safety; kill any Spirit. Witches take pride in their job of guarding Spirits and we will risk settlements and human life to keep even the most dangerous ones alive. Both Covens and Towers are needed. To combine them would be stupid! Humans would lose the fear of Witches and begin wandering into places they shouldn’t and Wizards would lose the cold edge they need to keep people safe! It would be chaos!’

Esme gazed at Lithgow and Effie, how they stood in agreement. She remembered Catriona, the golden haired witch who kept a plague Spirit alive. Who risked the lives in the town to keep it undetected. She remembered how her own first instinct was to slay it, to protect the town and prevent the future devastating blight the moment it became a God. How Witches bonded and Wizards controlled. She suddenly understood. Catriona and herself were fundamentally different, guarding different things and clashing over what had to be prioritised.

But Denver didn’t. Denver snarled, shaking slightly. ‘No, that is just an old tradition. The Towers, reformed with Covens, combining Witches and Wizards, will be stronger. It will be balanced. It will be able to do what’s best for all.’

‘And how do you expect to do that now?’ Lithgow pointed out. ‘You have just proclaimed your guilt to the Grand Wizard of the Granite Tower, the Mother Witch of the Mossy Glenn and the Wizards surrounding you.’

Denver smiled smugly. ‘That’s where you’re wrong.’

Esme flinched as whistles were tugged out of the White Wizards’ garbs, all of them touching them to their mouths.

‘Druids!’ Lithgow bellowed, Grimoire glowing and readying itself for battle.

Denver’s hands tightened around Esme’s wrists, painfully tugging her back as her Grimoire fluttered to her. But, suddenly, Bulwark was in front of Esme, staring at her with wide eyes. A second later and the Druids, Sodden and Denver were flung far as Bulwark tossed them out of the barrier he erected.

Esme coughed slightly from the dust that was flung in the air, clinging to her eyes, and very quickly found herself accosted again. This time however, the hands were gentle and warm, not rasping and cold. She opened her eyes, rubbing them madly, and found herself looking down at Fox, his arm filled up with Absolon. She couldn’t help the smile touching her mouth at seeing him; his expression determined, jaw tight, eyes inflamed with fury. It made her chest warm.

‘I’ve gotta get you out, Esme.’ Fox hissed as he pushed Absolon into her arms.

She glanced down at her exhausted Sprite. He was almost like a puddle, unable to keep his shape, and he was whining softly. She cradled him tighter, quietly promising him no more harm would come to him.

‘This one will not be able to teleport. Something is blocking this one.’

‘Creating a barrier will be enough. Just keep close to her, Lord Bulwark.’ Lithgow warned as his Grimoire roared with fire, placing himself between Esme and recovering Druids.

Effie stood beside him and whistle, summoning a Spirit of Ice to her side. Frost gathered around her feet and thick icicles shot up, carving out a massive horse. The ice fell away, allowing the huge beast to rear and scream, preparing for battle.

Esme watched with growing dread as other Spirits were summoned. An owl of storms, fox of illusion, mermaid of water, cat of protection and others, including Sodden’s wood bear. She glanced at Lithgow’s and Effie’s backs, her face paling. She knew they were strong but they were outnumbered.

‘Come on, Esme. Come with me.’ Fox said urgently, his fingers slipping in between hers.

But Esme found herself rooted. As much as she wanted to flee with Fox, she couldn’t abandon her uncle.

‘The other Wizards will come.’ Lithgow said firmly.

‘If they’re not asleep, and those who I’ve bribed should turn a blind eye.’ Denver shouted. ‘I have Druids within the Tower itself, Lithgow. They will deal with those still loyal to you.’ She snapped. ‘This Tower will fall, just like the Ivory has!’

And just like that, the battle that had been straining to begin began. Lithgow sprayed fire across the courtyard, a wall threatening to devour anything it touched into smoke and heat, while Effie’s thundering stallion hurled thick shards of ice. Wind and barriers met them, while Denver shot forward, summoning the same plague spell that had destroyed Cassandra with Sodden’s earth bear rearing behind her, cracking the stone floor.

Fox’s hand tighten against Esme’s, warm and comforting as he tugged her away, trying to protectively put himself between her and danger. ‘We’ve gotta go.’ He said firmly. ‘I ain’t lettin’ you die!’

‘I can’t let my uncle or Effie die either!’

‘There’s nothin’ we can do, it’s not like either of us can do magic!’ Fox snapped. ‘Now come on! If we get you out, we’ve got the truth in your head and can stop the rest of the Towers fallin’!’

She wasn’t paying attention though and was patting her throat and frowned in panic, remembering her whistles weren’t with her. ‘My whistles!’

Abruptly, Absolon vanished, his little body and his weight gone from her arms. She didn’t see where he had gone, not until he was in front of her again, holding onto the whistles for dear life and melting into a puddle at her feet.

‘Absolon, you shouldn’t push yourself.’ He whistled indignantly and she scooped him up, passing him to Fox’s resisting hands. ‘Hold him.’

Fox did, scowling with a mix of panic and anger. ‘We need to go!’

Esme didn’t respond, just plucked up the whistle she sought. She squeezed her eyes shut, muttered a sorry to Cassandra, then blew, hard.

Thousands of notes sprang out of the whistle, washing over everything it touched, seeping into her very being and making her soul hum. Magic filled it, making her muscles and bones ache, cutting out all offensive spells in an instant and put a stop to the sprouting battle instantly. Everyone had frozen in place, all eyes fixed on Esme with a look of disbelief. Even Effie watched her with wide eyes. But Esme was perturbed. She blew again. And again. And again.

Until he came.

Roots sprouted from the courtyard, plants and trees springing up, growing ancient within seconds. Weeds shot up the Tower’s walls like a green wave, creepers slunk over furniture and shrubs sprouted anywhere it could. And then he grew, bursting out of the ground, shattering the carefully carved stone as branches writhed and grew, swerving around until, finally, the shape of the Everwood God had formed. She had forgotten how big he was. He loomed over everything, white fur surging over his shape, making him flesh and bone.

Her lay behind her, his huge paws keeping herself, Fox, Effie and Lithgow firmly between him. A hush fell over the courtyard, one filled with shock and fear, but Esme felt calm. The Everwood God had responded, just as he promised.

He stared at Denver and Sodden, his cold blue eyes filled with grim judgement, before his eyes swivelled down to Esme. She felt Fox move next to her, his hand entwining with hers, and he squared his shoulders defensively.

‘I’m sorry, Everwood. I said I wouldn’t call you.’ She said apologetically.

‘But you did, Bloxham Sprite, and I am here.’ His huge ears twitched lazily. ‘And this battle is ended. No magic will be cast any longer.’

As if to confirm his words, Lithgow’s and Denver’s Grimoires dropped from their hands and the magic surrounding the Spirits died.

‘You.’ Denver spluttered in disbelief. ‘But Cassandra killed you! You had grown too old! You’re a…’

‘God.’ Effie finished for her, bowing slightly to Everwood. ‘Pleasure to meet you.’

Everwood bowed his head slightly before he turned his attention to Denver. ‘The Bloxham Spirit spoke to me, told me she had to kill me but saw no real reason to. She left me alive and I never left the Spirit Paths.’

‘But…but why? She told me she wasn’t going to change the Towers!’ She stammered, her brow knotted in confusion.

‘Of course she would not, Wizard. She had no desire to change the Towers, not in the way you did, but she did want to create a new rule. To allow more peaceful Gods to exist. Gods that would benefit humanity.’ Abruptly, his teeth was bared, a snarl rumbling from his massive bulk. The Druids flinched and Esme paled as she felt rage build up in him, like a hot ball of fire growing larger and larger. ‘And you killed her! I would have slain you for that slight if I had not promised her that I would cause no trouble, give no reason to regret her choice! And you sought to use the Bloxham Sprite for your own ends! An utterly innocent individual!’

Denver cowered before him, shielded slightly by Sodden. ‘I did it to protect you and you son, Everwood! To protect River Oak and Lake Tranquil when they grew too old! Slaying Spirits and Gods pointlessly was unjust!’

‘You did it for yourself! You are a disgrace to both Wizardry and Witchcraft, taking it upon yourself to fight a war no one asked you to! The Towers and Covens were made with our kinds acceptance! We know we need to die, we know we’ll end up harming everything around us, unbalance nature and destroy life if we’re not controlled! The Wizards give us death, a much needed end we don’t have naturally, you misguided fool!’ He suddenly stood, lowering his head, his huge teeth still bared. Denver paled, her face blank and eyes in disbelief. ‘I judge you, you who tried to unbalance peace between magic and humanity, you who murdered my friend, you who attempted to murder my bond-kin. I will devour you.’

He surged forward, his mouth wide and vengeful, Denver screamed and Sodden drew her close, deciding to die alongside her, until Esme rushed forward.

‘No! No, Everwood God! Don’t kill her!’

He froze, his pointed teeth only inches from his prey. He pulled back, his head turning to her, gazing enquiring.

‘Why, little mistress?

Esme hesitated. She didn’t know why other than it was wrong. ‘They need to be tried by the Towers and the Witches together. Both Denver and Sodden have caused a lot of death and pain, sewn a lot of mistrust and lies. They need to right it.’

She didn’t expect the God to listen to her, he was a god after all and Witches struggled to control even the youngest Sprite, but he backed off, pulling himself away to lay behind her, paws placed either side protectively.

‘Then so be it, Bloxham Sprite.’ The God said. ‘I leave them to the Towers and Covens.’

‘Oh.’ Esme stammered in surprise. ‘Good.’

‘But I will remain. I will make sure she does not escape.’

‘That’ll be helpful, Everwood God.’ Lithgow said, thankful. ‘Lord Bulwark, survey the Tower for me. I need to find out who’s loyal and who’s hurt. We’ve got some weeding to do.’

Bulwark purred, smiled, then vanished.

‘Esme, I need to find out the status of the Tower and round up the White Wizards. If I leave you here, will you be okay?’ Lithgow said, his hand falling on to her head comfortingly, ruffling her messed up hair.

Esme glanced up at the hulking wolf, his fur bristling with magic, then at Denver sitting, pale faced and weeping, mumbling about how she hadn’t known Cassandra was doing something about the senseless slaying of Spirits. Sodden was beside her, smile and fresh-faced as usual, and the Druids disguised as White Wizards were placid. No Spirits were summoned any longer.

‘I should be okay.’

Lithgow nodded and turned to the old woman petting the frosted white nose of her stallion Spirit. ‘Effie, would you mind helping me?’

Effie nodded her head slowly. ‘It seems your niece has everything under control here.’ Her eyes glittered as she smiled at Esme.

Esme watched as Lithgow and Effie vanished, hurrying into the Tower to see what damage had been done, leaving Esme in the courtyard.

‘Don’t like this. They should’ve at least tied ‘em up.’ Fox muttered, his eyes casting glares at the docile Druids, especially at Denver and Sodden.

‘They won’t cause trouble with the Everwood God around.’ Esme said firmly, taking Absolon from him to cuddle the Sprite soothingly.

Fox grunted, folded his arms, then gave Esme a hard look. The intensity made her face warm, turning it a little pink and found herself getting nervous.

‘You remember, don’t you? That you didn’t kill the Grand Wizard?’

She smiled thinly. ‘Yes. I remember.’ The red shade deepened as she recalled what had happened since Denver muddled her mind, how miserable she’d been, how desperate she’d wanted to die, but how hard Lithgow had fought for her, especially Fox. He could’ve left her. He could’ve run back home, but he stayed. He made sure she ate, made sure she was safe, made sure she knew he trusted she had never hurt Cassandra, no matter what her head said. She remembered how he’d fought to get into the Tower’s heart, to pull her out of Denver’s clutches. How she broken felt when she was told he died. How she’d kissed him…her heart tied itself into knots as she gazed at his vibrant green eyes and uncertain expression as he glared at Denver and Sodden, how he hovered about her, keeping close in case of danger. She loved him. She really did.

‘I thought you were dead.’ She said weakly.

Fox grunted and shrugged his wide shoulders. ‘That stupid cat dragged me from that. Nearly did have my brains blown out though.’ He laughed hollowly.

‘I’m glad Bulwark rescued you.’ She said warmly, smiling brightly.

Fox smiled back and rubbed the back his neck, casting his eyes away from her nervously. She opened her mouth to say something, anything, that could vocalise how much she appreciated what he’d done for her, how much she loved him, how overjoyed she was he was safe, but instead fell silent when he spoke.

‘Looks likes its all over though, don’t it, Dupont.’ He glanced up at her, his mouth smiling. ‘You get to go home. We both do.’

And then that ache returned. That same ache the last time she thought they’d never see each other again, whisked away in their own lives. That loneliness and sense of bereft.

She tightened her arms around Absolon as he slept deeply, suddenly feeling miserable now her journey was over and Denver was caught.

‘Yes. We get to go home.’ She murmured, ignoring the curious look he shot her and chose to tend to Absolon. Anything to distract herself from the pain gathering in her chest and how much she wanted Fox to stay with her and knowing he wouldn’t. Anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two more parts and then I think this story is wrapped up!