Vulpine Summer

Chapter Eight

When Fox woke at dawn to a blaring alarm, he was happy. His body felt refreshed, the air wasn't shimmering with heat yet and he was excited at the prospect of showing the Eye to the Doe a day after she gave him the task. She was going to be amazed and have no choice but to call him Fox now.

But his joy and giddy whistling was brought to a sudden stop as he leapt naked from bed and noticed his window was unlocked and curtains wide open. His gut twisted. He never left his window unlocked during the night, or at most he put it on a secure latch to hang open if it got unbearably hot. Around here there were burglars who had no sense of code or business and mugged anyone.

Suddenly a felt a little wary as he latched it and pulled the curtains to. Just to be safe and certain it was still there, Fox found the flimsy floorboard and pulled it open. He was relieved to see the safe there, locked and secure.

'Gettin' paranoid.' He said, laughing at himself as he clicked it open.

In an instant, his heart was in his mouth and his good mood shrivelled. Panic was taking him. The safe was empty. They Eye was gone.

'What? Where is it?' He stammered and noticed that, while his equipment was untouched, the book he found wasn't where he left either. That didn't matter so much though. The Eye did.

He felt inside but all that was there was the empty velvet bag he'd kept it in and swaths of wool. Nothing else. The Eye of Autumn, his task, his ticket to locking down the title Fox, was gone.

Fox gaped. His heart had stopped beating and his stomach was doing some kind of circus act. Where was it? He was certain he had put in there, secure and safe. Had someone seriously stolen from him? But how? He would've woken up by the racket of a man moving in his room, lifting floorboards and fiddling about with a safe right beside his bed. It can't have been an Obtainer either as the Doe would have their hide if they delivered someone else's task to her. She hated petty competition and ego building.

'This is a nightmare. Just a nightmare.' Fox pleaded, squeezing his eyes shut then opening them sharply in the hopes he was mistaken and the Eye was actually in the safe after all. It wasn't.

Fox felt sick. He stood, trying to breathe and figure out what on earth had happened. It was then that he noticed the scrap of paper on his bedside table. A piece of paper that hadn't been there before. He picked it up and read it slowly.

'Fingers' thief, I have your prize. If you want it, come find me at the burned fishery where the River Oak meets Lake Tranquil at dawn tomorrow. If you do not, I will make it disappear forever.' He read aloud. 'Blackmail.' He rubbed his face in despair. 'This is insane.'

So someone had stolen it and it wasn't someone from a middle or lower class, not by how pompous it sounded. So some rich guy had somehow sneaked in here and stolen his Eye without waking him. He just had no idea how they did or who or why. How did anyone know he was a member of the Fingers and his task? He couldn't think of anyone and no one in the Fingers themselves dared to breathe a word of their jobs to anyone not involved or risk certain appendages and tongues. Either they were a Wizard or this guy was good. Way too good.

However Fox had little choice but to respond to the calling. It was dawn now and he wanted that Eye back. He could quiz them about how they did it after he had the Eye back in his hands.

Fox was quick to splash water over his face and dress himself. He tucked the old switch-knife his father gave him years ago and slipped on the Gloves, hoping they had charged up enough since he last used them. He didn't eat or drink, there was no time for that. He had to get his Eye back.

Just as he locked the door, someone tapped his shoulder. He squeaked in surprise and quickly cleared his throat when he came face to face with Elenore.

'Tense much?' Elenore said, laughing.

'What are you doing here?' Fox gasped, fidgeting a little. He didn't have time for Elenore right now.

'Came to see you off is what. I don't work today so wanted to bring you a sandwich I made for your journey.' Elenore held out a small bundle. 'Mayo and egg. You always said I make the best.'

Fox took it joyfully. He wanted to thank her properly and take the time to walk to the Doe's but he couldn't. He needed to get to that old fishery.

'Thanks but I've gotta go.'

'I know, I'm going with. I want to be there when you hand over the Eye in the stead of your dad.'

Fox started to sweat. He couldn't tell her he lost it. She'd laugh or, worse, be disappointed.

'Um, I can't go straight to the Doe's.' He smiled nervously. Lying to Elenore was nearly as hard as lying to the Doe or his father. He was always good at lying, he had to be if he was seen doing something suspicious, but they had this demeanour that screamed they couldn't be fooled which made it difficult to even try. 'Got something else to do.'

Elenore's vibrant eyes narrowed in suspicion and flickered to the door down the hall. The Blonde's door.

'Not a whore I hope.' She said steeled with jealousy.

'No, nothin' like that. I just...I just got to be elsewhere.'

Her eyes hardened. She wasn't biting. 'Then I can go with you. I have no work today and I want to spend time with you before you go.'

Fox had nothing else to say. His mouth flapped a bit and he hummed and hawed before Elenore crossed her arms and stared down at him like an angry mother.

'You're lyin' Fox. I don't like lies.' She snapped. 'What is more important than me and your task?'

Fox paled and hung his head. He knew he couldn't lie to her. He was good at spinning tall tales but never to Elenore.

'I...I lost it.'

'Lost what?'

Fox was turning red from frustration and embarrassment. 'Lost my task.'

Elenore was silent and he didn't dare look at her. The knots in his stomach were growing worse as his nerves frayed. How had everything gone so wrong so quickly?

'How?'

'Someone broke in. Stole it.' He held out the note for her to take and continued to keep his eyes averted.

She read it silently before she held the note out for him to take. 'I'm goin' with you.'

Fox looked up. The tone screamed rage and her cheeks were flecked with red angry spots. He was in trouble.

'I know I messed up.'

'No, you did good and you didn't lose nothin', you just came across someone who dared take on the Fingers and make a fool of us.' Elenore hissed in insult. 'We'll deal with this Fox. We'll get the Eye back from their broken cold hands, yeah? This lowlife is not going to survive our wrath.'

Fox relaxed at Elenore's reassurance and looked at her with pride. It was time's like this that she made it clear why Elenore was the Doe's heir for a reason. She'd protect the Fingers and enforce their territory and this thief had just stomped all over the Fingers claims and codes. Elenore wasn't going to let it slide.

'Just don't go killin' Ellie. Thieves don't kill. That's edging into the Contractor's territory.'

Elenore snorted and elegantly stepped out into the sunlight, releasing her parasol with a gentle swish and rested it on her shoulder. 'Let's get going to West Port then. We have a face to bloody.'

Fox hooked his arm with hers and walked beside her down the grubby street. They walked to the main square where they grabbed a taxi that whizzed them across Lakeside, honking irritably at walkers and other cars alike, until they reached the shorelines of Lake Tranquil in West Port.

As Elenore tipped the taxi driver, Fox stood at the edge of the road. He knew the East Port of Tranquil Lake well. It was filled with factories, bars, traders and the cheaper ports of exports and imports. It was a place of low class work and crime. This however wasn't as a familiar site. The beach was done-up prettily with a well flowered promenade, ready to entertain and impress tourists. Cafes, boat rentals and parks made the beach glow and the Lakeside Pier was done up colourfully, boasting mini-golf, children's fun parks and bridge clubs. Despite it being quite early in the morning there were already people dotted about, pompously dressed as they walked their pompous handbag dogs.

'The old fishery is further north.' Elenore said as she peered up at the sky, noting the blimp taking off from the airstrip not far from here. 'At least they were specific. River Oak has six connections to Tranquil.'

Fox grunted and set off beside Elenore down the narrow steps and onto the promenade. They walked beside each other, well aware how odd they appeared. While Elenore fit in well with her high-class fashion sense, Fox did not. He was grubby, his hair unbrushed again and had a tear in his trousers. He tried to ignore the weird stares he got from the odd child or the hushed whispers.

They went by several cafe's and crossed over one of the six tails of River Oak that gushed into Tranquil's still waters until slowly they came to the end of the promanade and the beginning of the Oak District.

It was here, clustered amongst the trees and oddly placed was the old fishery. Even in its former glory, the fishery was still weirdly placed having stood there long before West Port had spread its wings and grown in size and wealth. It was charred, its roof collapsed and its brick walls dusted with old soot and scorch marks. The three story building was a mess while its port was largely intact. Once there had been many fishing boats docked here but no longer. Signs were up stating no one was to enter and that it was dangerous after the blaze that tore through it, leaving it weak and unpredictable.

'Heard it has a buyer now. Some rich bigwig wants to turn into a hotel.' Elenore said.

Fox grunted, not caring much for small talk. He was nervous. He was coming up against the thief who stole from him, who slipped into his room without waking him. Either this guy was good and trying to prove some kind of point or a Wizard who is bored. He didn't like either option.

Elenore dragged him over to the wooden fence line that was feebly keeping out intruders and clambered over it without much care for her dress.

'Come on Fox.' Elenore called as she readjusted her clothes.

Fox was quick to pull himself into the fishery's domain and landed amongst the knee high grass. The pair waded their way towards a gaping whole in the wall that had once been the front door. Its remains were left rotting in splinters about the stone steps and just inside the reception hall.

'It's dark.' Elenore said as she peered inside, sniffing at the stench of rotting wood, smoke and decay.

'I'll go first.'

Elenore shrugged and collapsed her white parasol and hooked it over her wrist. She watched intently as Fox hopped up the steps. He glanced about the room, noting the bronze plated signs. Most he couldn't read but 'docks' and 'storage' were just about clear. He stepped further inside, flinching at the fragile crackling of the glass beneath his thick boots. He didn't like the idea of alerting his blackmailer to his presence.

'Remember I'm armed Fox.' Elenore remained him when she noticed his tension, patting the white lace bag that was weighted heavily against her waist.

Fox frowned. 'The Doe doesn't want you doing that kind of stuff yet. Meant to keep it on the low down.'

'If it's a Wizard, I'll need to. Not letting you get hurt Fox nor myself. I need my skin to be perfect or I'll lose customers.' She sniffed.

Fox rolled his eyes but didn't argue. Magic scared him so if Elenore was willing to make sure he wasn't turned into a frog or burned alive, he wasn't going to complain. He just hoped his old switch-knife and Gloves was going to be all the protection he'd need. Just to make sure, he flexed his fist and a crackle of blue lighting zipped over the leather. It had recharged enough.

'Let's go then.' Elenore said as she danced into the room. 'They won't be up as it's too damaged, but they might be on this floor. Let's check that way.' She announced and pointed her closed parasol down the creaking corridor towards the port.

Fox went with her direction and didn't argue. He didn't want to spend too much time in here. The ominous creaking and groaning and warped walls just made him felt like he was moments away from being crushed to death. Elenore didn't seem to care though. She sauntered down the hall, ignoring the rubble, scorch marks and the remnants of the offices, and guided him sure-footedly towards the docks.

Before long the came to a set of massive doors. They were burnt beyond repair with the glass gone and barely held onto their frames. Beyond that was the dock's warehouse, where boats were repaired and fish unloaded. In there his blackmailer could be waiting.

Fox grabbed Elenore's shoulder, holding his finger to his lips to quieten her.

'Wait here.' He whispered softly. 'Just in case they are in there.'

Elenore stared at him haughtily but nodded her head, albeit grudgingly, and pressed herself against the wall.

Fox sucked in the smoke taninted air and stepped out into the warehouse. It was huge, utilising all three floors with tell-tale levies and ladders being left behind. The roof was mostly gone and let streams of sunlight burrow inside, revealing the dust and dirt dancing in the still summer air. The remains of crates took up most of the warehouse along with two small fishing boats; all charred and beyond rescue. Fox stared about curiously, wondering where his black-mailer would be, when he saw a shape.

By the rotten doors leading to the docks outside and revealing the glittering calm waters of Tranquil beyond, was a figure. They were tall and lithe and weirdly floating. Confused, Fox stepped forward, slightly worried that it really had been Wizard who sneaked into his room and stolen his Eye, until they became evidently inhuman as he noticed a long tail.

It was River Oak. She was surrounded by floating globs of water and sat in the air, floating on nothingness. Her fish-tail was an incredibly length and curled about more snake-like than fish. Her whole body, covered in its pearl scales, glittered as if she were beneath water and her fins waved as if pulled by a current.

'Ah, lady spirit ma'am. Nice to see you again.' He said, nodding at her in hopes she wouldn't drown him.

She stared at him with her inhuman eyes, gazing with an interest that hadn't been there last night. It confused him. Why was she suddenly paying attention to him? It couldn't be good. A Spirit paying attention to someone was never a good thing.

'Have you seen anyone else in this fishery, ma'am?' He asked nervously.

River Oak didn't breathe a word, just stared. He didn't know what to make of this. Two sightings of River Oak in one day was foreboding. The awkward silence was shattered as a funnel of water burst from the lake beyond the doors. It splashed against a burnt crate and curled around it swiftly, leaving behind a smear of water like slime. Forming swiftly was a creature very similar to River Oak only his scales were sky blue and skin ivory white. His muscles were thick and powerful, bulging lightly as he crossed his arms over his defined chest, his shoulders were broad but his face surprisingly gentle. It was Spirit of Lake Tranquil.

Fox stiffened and took a step back.

'Lord Tranquil.' He said in confusion. Two of the three top-dog spirits were in front of him. All he needed now was the Everwood Spirit. It was too strange now and the sight made his chest tighten with nerves. What was going on?

Lake Tranquil stared at him gently and his long tail shifted a little, tightening its grip on the box he sat on.

'If I'm intrudin' on something, I can go.' Fox said warily as he gestured to the direction he came from and where Elenore stood, peeking from her hiding place.

'You are not intruding.' A voice behind him said; feminine, soft but firm. 'I called you here.'

He whirled about, ready to confront the person who stole the Eye from him, and instantly froze. The woman, well barely a woman, stood tall. Her height was greater than his own although he wasn't sure on her figure. It was swathed in men's workers clothes that were much too big. Still she stared down at him haughtily with her pale skin slightly flushed pink.

But he recognised her. The face on the flier was spot on; angular with doe-honey eyes and a full pink mouth, although it didn't quite do the foreign contrast of her pale skin and jet-black hair justice. It was Esme Dupont. Murderer of the Grand Wizard, most wanted and highly dangerous.

The Fox was in deeper trouble than he originally predicted.