‹ Prequel: All of Me

Unhinged

001

Song inspiration

I reached over and grabbed my girlfriend's hand. I was one-hundred percent serious about her. I haven't felt this way since... well you know. I was in my last year of college. Ever since she left, I was a different person. I had been dating the most beautiful girl, well second most beautiful girl, Cassidy. I was happy or at least I thought I was. ‘Why haven’t I deleted her number?’ I thought to myself as I scrolled past it. Little things reminded me of her every day.

“Are you all packed for your trip?” Cassidy asked me.

“I am. I should be getting to bed, my flight leaves early.”

“Do you have to go?”

“Yeah, I need to see my parents and my brothers.”

“Is that it?” She asked, cocking her eyebrows.

“Yes.”

“Okay, if you have to.” She whined.

I gave her a smile and a kiss on the head, “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too. Now go get some sleep. I’ll meet you in there soon.”

I agreed and headed to bed. I lied awake for a while before deciding to make a call.

“Hello? Nick?” He answered.

“Hey Kev.”

“It’s good to hear your voice! We’re all so excited to see you.”

“I’m excited too. I was just calling to make sure you and Joe could still pick me up.”

“Of course we will. You know that.”

I sighed, “Yeah, I know.”

“What’s really going on Nick?”

“Nothing, just homesick.”

“Are you nervous about running into her, Nick?” He asked bluntly.

I paused, “Yeah.” I said softly.

“Why don’t you just make plans to see her instead of avoiding her?”

“I can’t.”

“Nick, come on, you two were best friends for the longest time. I think you can.”

“You don’t understand, when she left… we… things ended rough.”

“I know, just think about it okay? We’ll see you tomorrow.”

I sighed, “See you tomorrow.”

I couldn’t sleep at all, I was too nervous. I kept thinking I was going to run into her. I tossed and turned all night;I finally looked at my clock and it was already time for me to get up and head to the airport. I hesitantly got out of bed and got changed. I looked over at Cassidy; I was truly happy with her don’t get me wrong, but I felt like something was missing. “Cass?” I whispered.

“You leaving already?” She mumbled.

“Mhmm, I have to go. I’ll see you in a week.” I kissed her forehead and made my way toward the door.

“Nick?” I heard her say. I turned to find her lips meeting mine. “Don’t go looking for something else okay?” She said softly.

“I love you.”

--

“Nick!” I was instantly embraced in my family’s arms. I hadn’t seen them in a little over a year. It was hard between school, work and Cassidy to make it back to Cali. My family understood though, they were just happy that I was here now, even it was just for a week. The drive home felt familiar yet unfamiliar.

“Nick, when we get home get washed up. We are going out for dinner.”

“Mom, I’d rather just stay home. Can we please?”

She sighed, “You know you’re going to have to see her eventually Nick. You can’t avoid it forever.”

Like hell I can’t.

My week with my family went by fast; it was Friday and I was leaving tomorrow. I had successfully gone through my trip without seeing her.

“Nick, let’s go out one last time before you leave for another 10 years!” Joe said.

“It won’t be 10 years before I come back Joe. I need to get some sleep, I leave tomorrow you know.”

“Yes I know and that’s why we’re going out.”

I groaned, “Only for a little bit.”

I was only 20 so we couldn’t actually ‘go out’ but we went to go eat and just hang for a bit.

“Hey Nick?” Joe began, “Are you sure you don’t want to see her?”

“Yes, I’m sure. You know that.”

“Well don’t look now but she’s walking toward us.” He said clearing his throat.

“What?” I asked hesitating to turn around.

“Nick?”

“D” I breathed.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! Hopefully you guy's like it. Sorry it took so long for this chapter to come out; I've had a rough week, I had a death in the family so I'm really trying to focus on writing to keep me busy.