This Love

chapter one;

My alarm went off at 6am like it normally does on a school day, but today was different. Today was my last day of nursing school, well, lets hope I pass my final test to receive my registration. I never thought I would see the day. It’s been the longest 4 years of my life. I have never been so pushed emotionally, physically and mentally. But today it would come to a halt, well, until I actually go out into the real world.

Let me also start off my saying my name is Abigail, but I like to be called Abby. I was born and raised in Ottawa, but came to Vancouver after getting accepted into the best nursing program in the country. I lived off Starbucks, and whatever was on sale at whole foods. I was a train wreck, but we’ll get back to that.

After having a shower and getting myself ready, I decided to leave early so I could cram in another hour of studying before my test. Today was my final written test to get my nursing certification. It’s sort of a big deal.

I sat down in the library and got my notes and flashcards out. I was such an early bird compared to everyone else on campus. When everyone is crawling out of bed to going to class, I’ve already had my second cup of coffee and been in the library for over an hour. I’m still finding it hard to believe this is the last study session I’d ever have to do in this stupid library.

“Hey Abby.”

I look over my shoulder and see my friend Julie. She was my roommate and we’ve become so close over the last 4 years. She’s been my nursing partner in class and in clinical experiences over the span of our course. I don’t know if I would’ve survived university without her. She can be a bit blunt and hard on me, but I know it’s out of love. She plops her books down and lets out a long sigh as she sits down. If you can’t tell, we can’t wait to get out of here.

“You ready for this test?” I asked her as she passed me a latte from Starbucks.

“I’m as ready as I can be. I’m so over this.”

“Tell me about it,” I say as I roll my eyes, “at least we only need 50% to pass.”

“Ab’s, you only need 50% to pass. You’ve studied so hard for all those high marks. A little too hard.” She scoffed the last part out. I knew it was coming. She always gave me shit for passing on parties, even on weekends.

“Meaning?”

“Meaning you need to get a damn life once you’re done here.” She says in the most motherly tone she could throw at me.

I sighed, “I promise you I’ll become a human again after today.”

“Good, cause we’re going to a hockey game tonight.”

“We are?”

“Yes, our professor from pharmacology bought us a suite for the Canucks game tonight. I know it might not be your thing since your beloved leafs won’t be there, but it could be fun. They’re playing Pittsburgh, they have a lot of babes on their team.”

My heart dropped a little bit when she said who was playing. Last summer I met someone on the team when I spent a month with my family on the east coast. He was my stereotypical summer love. We were so in love with each other, but we agreed it was never going to work. All I remember was his lips on my cheek and watching him leave me. I’m really surprised I made it through this semester with my constant thoughts of him. But he remains nameless, since no one knows about it.

I figured I better say yes to her cause she’ll kill me for not being social after I just said I would. I needed to keep my secret a secret cause I know she’ll ask me why I can’t go. I’ll just hide in the press box.

She eagerly awaited my response as I finished my sip of coffee, “I can’t say no to free hockey. I’ll be there. But I’m not going to any after parties or clubs.”

Her facial expression went from excited to being annoyed in the span of a second. I don’t drink. I see what it does to people. I’ve only been to parties over summer breaks and I just see some awful and embarrassing things happening. I didn’t want to be a part of that scene.

“Fine. The fact that you’ll actually be wearing something besides PJ’s after 5 is enough to make me happy,”

I just shook my head as she left so I could continue reading my textbook. I haven’t been to a hockey game since school started. It should be fun, even if you know who will be there. I was a pretty big hockey fan growing up and I still am, it’s just been hard to keep up cause of school. Plus watching hockey just reminded me of him too much. But, I promised to push myself once school was over. All my stress would be gone as soon at this test over.

Then it hit me.

I’m officially going to be a certified nurse after 2pm.