This Love

chapter three;

“Holy fuck, Ab’s.”

“That’s the best way to describe what just happened.” I replied. I had no idea what to say either. I’m still trying to process if that was even real.

Some of the girls in our group were scowling at me cause I was the only one who got noticed. They couldn’t process that little me could the attention of an NHL superstar. I just rolled my eyes and ignored anything that came out their mouths. It was just pure jealously. Just as we were getting to our suite, an older gentleman who was an usher stopped us.

“Excuse me, which one of you ladies is Abigail Reid?”

“That would be me.” I replied with a hint of confusion in my tone.

“You’ve clearly made an impression on Mr. Crosby.”

“Meaning?”

“Meaning, he tried to find out who was the usher for your suite so he could pass on a message. He wants you to come down after the game. Just wait here after the game, we’re getting a pass ready for you.”

Can I run now?

The game had finished and Pittsburgh won. I was still stunned at what happened at warm up. We all know what this meant … I’d be going into the Penguins locker room and talking to Sid. My brain wasn’t processing any of this whatsoever.

“Hey Abby, if you find out where the boys will be tonight, let us know.”

“Didn’t you guys just throw me shade two hours ago for getting attention?” I snapped as the girls went from having puppy eyes to sending me glares. “I’ll let Julie know, it’s up to her if she wants to tell you.”

Minutes later the usher had come in and gave me my pass to go down. Julie squeezed my shoulder for good luck. My breathing was rapid as I got up and followed the usher out the room. I counted my footsteps as we got down to the dressing room. I was advised to wait out in the hall and Sid would be told I was out here. It was going to be so good to see him though, talk to him again, maybe I’ll be lucky enough to even touch him …

“Ab’s?”

There was his voice. I wanted to lock all the doors in this place and capture his voice. He was in his game day suit and he just looked so perfect. My eyes followed him and he came right over to me. He caught my breath as he stood mere inches away from my face. His eyes were so dark and as warm as I remembered them. No words wanted to fall past my lips and he didn’t seem to care. He brought his hand up to my face and grazed my jaw line. Goosebumps ran up and down my body.

“I’ve missed you so much.” Was all I managed to spit out. Great, now I sounded desperate as if I was waiting for him.

“Definitely never thought I would see you again.” He replied.

“Tell me about it,” I say as I feel myself getting less nervous, “so why did you ask for me to come down here?”

He smirked a little bit, “I was thinking we could maybe go out for dinner or something? I don’t really want to get into it here, but, I feel guilty for letting you go. I just got scared knowing you were getting your life together out here when I’m all over the place with my job.”

“Sidney, this is all really hard to process right now. I mean, I woke up this morning thinking all I was going to do was pass my nursing exam and be a free woman for a while. But I just happen to wind up at a game and it was your team that was playing. Then you walk back into my life and now I’m standing right in front of you.”

“I know,” He gently whispers as he grabs my hand, “that’s why we should maybe sit somewhere quiet and talk for a bit.”

“You’re right. I think dinner is a good idea.”

“Any ideas?”

“I have a few.”