Orbit of the Sun

Juyar

Captain Irana Fashouk stood at the edge of the ship and looked outward towards the black sky. After nearly 20 years traveling the vast galaxy of her solar system, Irana and her crew were finally near the planet known as Juyar. With the planet now in her sights, Irana could see why the ancient people of her home planet would name it after their God of passion and love. The surface of the planet was a swirling combination of sea green, which matched the color of her hair, and rose pink, but the colors were nothing when Irana noticed tiny golden orbs of light flickering within the sea green areas. “Captain, we will be landing in 20 minutes.” Irana smiled at her second in command, Thurgood, and thanked him as she twirled the small glass ball at the end of her necklace which glowed a faint blue against her terra-cotta brown skin. She couldn’t believe how close they were now after such a long and trying journey.

When the crew first set out on their journey Irana was only a small child of the age of 7. Irana was an orphan on her home planet of Ceilos. Being an orphan on Ceilos was considered a lowly existence regardless of your parent’s class. Irana was proof of this. Her mother was a well-known energy songstress and her father was a second level Counsel member which put them just one level under the highest class. Irana was just over a month old when her mother died and even though her father tried to care for Irana on his own, it became too much for him and he took his own life when she was only a year of age. Irana may have been born into a high class, but on Ceilos if no one is willing to adopt a child when their parents are gone, they become part of the lowest class.

Irana never knew anything other than being low class, she was far too young to have known the luxury of being high class when she was removed from it, but she still found herself wondering what life might have been like if her parent’s had lived. She most certainly wouldn’t have been on this journey to Juyar. It was only because of her class rank that Irana even considered going. Juyar sat just on the edge of the Xenian galaxy and was the only planet besides Ceilos able to sustain Ceilian life. The ancients set Juyar up as a trading post for peoples of other galaxies, but because the government of Ceilos rarely checked on Juyar, it became more of a planet for outcasts such as Irana and her crew. It was a 20 year trip from Ceilos to Juyar so the only ones who ever wished to go were government trading officials, outcasts looking to move to the distant planet, or pirates like the Syronia’s crew.

Captain Pol Hellus was the last man you would think to name his ship after the goddess of good will and charity. Hellus was a heavy man more so in muscle than fat and he sported a waist length golden beard which was adorned with small silver rings woven into braids. His entire body was covered with tattoos that glowed a teal blue which contrasted against his vivid orange robe. Irana was just a small girl when she first encountered Captain Hellus.

One evening Irana was sent out to sell goods in the market for the orphanage. With her cart pulling behind her Irana was headed into the center of the city when she felt a hand forcefully against her back causing her to fall and the cart to spill over breaking the glass work for the market. Stunned and confused, Irana glanced up to see an Official of the law towering above her. “Well, look ‘er” the wiry-framed man said. “a scum on ‘er way to sell pretties.” The Official’s words stung into Irana’s heart and she began to cry. All she could think to do was run from the man, leaving the cart behind in the process. But even as she ran it was useless, the Official was close behind her. Irana’s heart was pounding so hard she thought it might burst from her chest. Suddenly, she was knocked forcefully back. When she looked up she saw Captain Hellus standing with his arms crossed and a puzzled look on his face. Irana had almost forgotten about the Official when she heard his voice close behind. She panicked and ran behind Hellus only thinking of hiding from the awful lawman. The Official’s face suddenly turned from animalistic predator to fear stricken. “Pol…Hellus…” he stammered. “That-that girl! She is to be arrested! Move now!” Hellus looked at the man with the same quizzical look on his face as when Irana ran into him just moments before. “Why?” Hellus asked. The Official looked as though it were the first time anyone had questioned his authority, and it was, to his face at least. “Do not question me, Hellus,” he fumed. “That-that thing is to be arrested by order of the law! Move or-or I’ll…arrest you, too!” Hellus let out a loud bellowing laugh that shook even Irana. The small child couldn’t see the humor in the situation. Did this man not know what that meant? Irana was barely seven years of age and yet even she understood what the Official was threatening. Hellus turned to look down at Irana and suddenly his powerful voice became a gentle yet firm whisper, “Do you see that lady there in the red?” Irana turned to look at the woman in the maroon slit gown leaning against a light post that Hellus nodded towards. “Go to her, child.” Without a second thought, the young girl ran to the safety of the woman.

“Captain?” Irana shook herself out of her dazed memory and turned to look at the small girl just in the doorway. She gave a smile to the timid child. Rubia was the young daughter of two of her crewmates and Irana couldn’t help but to see herself in the young girl. “We’ve landed, Captain” Rubia said trying to hide the child like enthusiasm in her voice. Irana nodded as to acknowledge the child and dismiss her. After so many years, and so many deaths, they were officially on Juyar. Irana could understand Rubia’s excitement better than anyone. She was just barely older than the little girl when she started on this journey herself. To see the world now as a woman was something Irana couldn’t put into words. But still, she knew there was a bigger task at hand than childish fantasies and dreams come to life. This ship didn’t make a 20 year trek just to see a beautiful planet. This was just one step in a revolution that Irana was now leading just as Captain Hellus had before her.

Irana let out a sigh to clear the weight off her chest, placed her favorite red tricorne hat with the black lace bordering upon her head, and headed out on deck. The crew were all still laughing and drinking as they packed up their bags and anchored the ship to the docking post when Irana came on deck, all completely wrapped in their own joy to even notice her. Thurgood let out a merry cheer as he stood by Irana’s side. “Isn’t it just great, Captain? We’re finally here!” He said, pushing up his round wire framed glasses. Thurgood was a thin tall man nearly 60 years old now, yet he still had the spark of a younger man. When Hellus was on his death bed and had declared Irana Syronia’s new captain there were some who felt Thurgood would be upset that he wasn’t granted the title, but it was Thurgood who spoke high praises of Irana becoming Captain. “Of all the crew,” he told Hellus, “Irana is the only one I would feel honored to serve after you.” Thurgood was a loyal second in command and Irana considered him a fatherly figure. He was the one who taught Irana the things only higher class children would have access to like reading and writing, sciences, and math. Seeing him now with such pride and joy upon his face reminded Irana of the importance of her duty as Captain. “Thurgood, please alert the crew to gather mid deck.”

“The journey has been long, but finally we are on Juyar.” Irana let the crews’ cheers die down before continuing. “I want this to be a joyous and fun time, but we cannot forget the reason we left Ceilos to begin with. Sector 8 and 7 of the crew are to rendezvous back here first thing in the morning to be briefed on their part in the plan. Understood?” The two packs known as sector 7 and sector 8 nodded and let out a collective “aye” in the style custom to their tight knit groups. “The rest of you, enjoy your trip as much as possible until your sector is called upon.” Irana dismissed the crew and watched as they all laughed merrily and left the ship with their bags in tow. “You should have some fun of your own, Captain.” Thurgood joked as he gave a playful slap on Irana’s arm. Irana gave a giggle, but it was followed by a much less joyous sounding sigh. “I wish it were that simple, Thurgood.”

The air was filled with the scents of incense and spices which, for some strange feeling, reminded Irana of home. The crowded market street was nearly identical in appearances to the one on Ceilos, and yet Irana was sure that the markets back there were never so comforting to her senses. The familiarity was buried somewhere deeper in her memories than she could extract. All along the streets were colorful tents set up, some of which were made of scrap cloths and cheap wood while others were artfully made of fine silks and sturdy metals, and each housed tables full of items to be sold. Yet what Irana found most enjoyable visually were the people. Each passing face was unique and marvelous. There were plenty who held similar features to citizens of Ceilos, broad noses and droopy pointed ears, those of which Irana assumed to be natives of her home planet. However, there were those with features Irana had never seen before. Some had high pointed chins and upturned eyes, others stocky bull like features, and those Irana considered the most beautiful had a combination of features. Ceilos was never so diverse. In fact, Irana thought to herself, most of Ceilos looked as though they were manufactured on an assembly line with only minor differences such as height, weight, and color. Even now she was finding her own features quite dull compared to the variety held by those on Juyar.

The sky began to darken from a bright bluish green into a deeper teal, but the soft wisp pink clouds remained as bright. The darkening of the sky enhanced the floating golden orbs which Irana could now identify as magic enhanced street lights. Even with the high congestion of people there was a soft peace to the street more so now that night was approaching. Glorious light shows were put on by dancers and joyous high tempo music filled the air, while other performers entertained by means of balance acts, fire throwing, free verse poetry, or a combination thereof. Even in a land full of traitors and pirates there was joy and peace. No one looked upon each other with disgust or judgment as Irana had known on Ceilos. Even those who had the air of nobility or class to them did not turn their noses upwards at those of a lower class. For a moment, Irana could almost forget the dark ways of Ceilos’ corrupt government. Here in this place, she felt like all was balanced and equal. But she knew it was only a fools wish. Even the government on her home planet had a heavy control here that affected the people who used Juyar for trade. Irana heard a gasp behind her and turned to face a stocky middle aged woman. Her lightly wrinkled face held a look of pure horror as though she was staring into the eyes of a ghost. “Seliana?”