Unstable

Addict

Today is a new day. Today is a beautiful day. The weather is nice. The temperature is just right. The people around seem happier than usual.

I am happy, too.

I finally feel at peace. I finally feel like this big giant city is actually my home.

After months of being in a dark place, I am finally in the light. I am rejoining the world with a new outlook and lots of plans.

I smile at people as I walk briskly down the street and they smile back at me. This feeling is euphoric. I actually feel empowered, like things are really changing for me. I am free to chase my dreams. I am free to do whatever I want.

Truth be told, my body is tired and my head kind of hurts, but that is okay. Last night was a bad night. But one bad night doesn't determine your future. One bad choice doesn't change who you are.

Here I am, taking in the world in all of it’s glory. Its like its the first time I am truly seeing it. There is so much good around me.

Today is the first day in six months that I haven't done heroin and I don’t plan to.

Usually, I don't leave my house that often. Usually, everything I see around me looks ugly. The litter on the street. The homeless men and women asking for money. People slaving away at the jobs they hate. There is so much sadness and pain.

But not today.

Today I feel like I can truly make a difference in this world. I am going to make new friends. I am going to volunteer somewhere and help people who need it. I am going to fix the ugly in this city.

I have a list of things to do today, starting with putting on some fresh clothes.

Today I am going to exercise for the first time in months. Today I am going to eat healthy. Today I am going to make a very overdue call to my mother.

I’m making small steps to start turning my life around. I’m going to make sure I stay busy.

As I finally made it to my apartment, the feeling of fatigue really started to hit me. My place definitely didn’t reflect the bright and sunny world outside of my door.

My room was the worst. There were old dishes left everywhere and clothes covering the entire floor. I guess if I was going to start turning things around, this should probably be where I start.

I began picking up the clothes off of the floor and putting the dishes in the sink. It feels so nice to be productive.

When the room was almost restored to a clean state, I remembered something hidden in my dresser. For a moment I reached to throw it away, but I couldn’t bear to let go of it yet. Not today. Maybe it is still a little too soon.

I would worry about it later. Today, I had other things to do.