‹ Prequel: Camp Celestial

Fire and Ice

Secrets

I watched as my parents disappeared down the stairs with Tiberius. I gripped André’s arm.

“That was terrifying,” I breathed and he chuckled.

“He has a presence you’d be a fool to ignore,” he nodded.

“So what are we supposed to do while we wait?” I asked. “I really want to go down there.”

He shook his head and dragged me into the living room where everyone was already seated. He sat me down at the chessboard and I sighed.

“I can’t focus,” I murmured.

“Too bad,” he said. “Now come on. It will help the time go by faster.”

I sighed again but moved my white pawn forward. On the couch, the vampires were all talking about Tiberius’ presence. I glanced over to see Marie rubbing her neck. I had heard her talking to André about what her dad did to her.

“If you’re not blood related, how are you and Marie considered siblings?” I asked after pondering where to put my knight.

“Because we were both turned by her father,” he answered, pursing his lips. “Hm…. Ugh. Looks like we’re at a standstill again.”

“You’re too good at this,” we said in unison and I laughed.

The laughter stopped, though, when the windows blacked out again. I scrambled to my feet and turned. Tiberius looked calm but I could feel the anger rolling off of him.

“He will be returned to London where he can face proper judgement,” he said, walking into the living room, too. “I apologize for his attack on you, Delia, and you, Marie.” His eyes were sad as he looked at André. “More than anything, I am sorry for how he has treated you, André.”

André shrugged, looking uncomfortable. “I’m used to it by now, Tiberius.”

I saw several emotions pass through Tiberius’ eyes before he swept his arm across the room. I tilted my head curiously as it changed to a forest-esque landscape with the furniture the same. I could feel Tiberius watching me as I walked over to a tree and touched it. It was real.

“I’m confused,” I said as my mom and dad stared in wonder, too.

“There are two secrets,” he whispered, “that need to be revealed. One involves you, Delia the White Wolf, and the other André.”

I bit my lip. “Who goes first?” I asked, my voice barely audible.

“You,” he said. “Come sit here.”

He pointed to my usual arm chair and I obeyed. When I did, three wolves appeared. They were slightly transparent and, upon closer inspection, I saw that they were me and my parents.

I looked at Tiberius but he put a finger to his lips so I looked at the scene again.

The three wolves ran around together, playing. I smiled and realized we were looking at the memory of yesterday. There was the stream where we sat and discussed returning to the house. My parents walked back but I stayed by the stream, staring at the water. I put my paw in the water and lifted it.

“What is she doing?” my mom whispered.

“Trying to see if the white will wash off,” I said automatically.

I frowned. Before anyone could speak, the scene changed. It was later that night when André and I had kissed. I flopped down on the grass and watched the fish jump in the stream. There was my mom coming to comfort me. Then my father saying it was time to dinner.

Though there wasn’t a clock, I could tell it was night time when it changed again to my wolf walking to the water. She settled there and put both paws in the stream. When they came back out, they were still white. She dunked her head in but nothing changed. She lifted her head to the sky and howled in despair. Tears were falling down my cheeks as I felt the pain in my wolf’s heart. She flopped on the grass again, whimpering occasionally.

Out of nowhere, André walked through the trees. I looked over at him but he looked just as surprised.

He sat down beside my wolf and stroked her neck. She whimpered and moved closer, rubbing her head on his side. His lips were moving but we couldn’t hear what he was saying. He leaned down and kissed my wolf’s muzzle before standing and walking off.

The forest disappeared and I stood up.

“I don’t understand,” I said.

“Since your wolf has reached puberty, she has realized how different she truly is,” Tiberius explained in his quiet voice. “She has become frustrated. You said it yourself: She was trying to wash the white off of her fur. She wants to be the same color as your father.”

I put my hand on my chest. My wolf shifted as if she felt guilty.

“She’s been taking control as I slept,” I whispered and he nodded. “But why?”

“You have been focused on what is going on in your life, that she did not want to upset it more.”

I blinked away tears. “This is something she and I are supposed to figure out together!” I cried, putting both hands on my chest. “When were you out there?” I asked André but he shook his head.

“I don’t ever remember even leaving my room,” he said.

Tiberius put his hand on André’s shoulder awkwardly.

“Her wolf called to you,” he said. “You were asleep but your soul responded to her distress.”

“Why am I white?” I asked, wiping at my tears. “You called me White Wolf as if it should be my name.”

“White wolves are extremely rare,” he explained. “You have great power, Delia Wolfe. From now on, you are to be conducting the negotiations.”

I looked at my dad. He was frowning at Tiberius.

“I mean no disrespect,” Tiberius continued. “It is her fate; her destiny. If we go to war, her wolf will take over and she will do only one thing: Destroy anyone who is a threat to her and those she loves.”

I nibbled on my lower lip.

“How do you know all of this?” my mom whispered.

He smiled a little. I tilted my head. When he did that, he reminded me of someone but I couldn’t quite place it.

“I have been watching you,” he said. “All of you. Ever since the summer you met at Camp Celestial.” He sighed. “Poor Pierre.”

“Why were you watching us?” my mom asked.

He sighed. “This is where André comes in.” Tiberius looked at him sadly. “Your mother was never a human.”

André frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“Your mother was a werewolf,” he whispered. “She was my werewolf.”

No one spoke. André’s face was void of all emotion. When I studied Tiberius’ features, I know why he looked familiar.

“You’re André’s father,” I said softly.

“Impossible,” André said. “A werewolf cannot become a vampire.”

“She never did become a vampire,” he said. “Think back, André. Did you ever once see her feed? Did you ever see her fangs?”

“Why did you give her away?” Marie asked, crying.

“It was Fate,” he answered. His voice was heavy with emotion. “Mirela and I both knew a vampire was going to call for her. We were not sure why, but we knew she had to go with him. I never expected her to die.”

“Then what did you expect!?” André shouted. “Louis is a cruel bastard! Did you really think she would survive with that beast!?”

“I had no control over the situation, my son,” he murmured. “Louis brought Mirela back to me when she got sick the first time. That is when you were taken from me. By forcing Louis to keep his blood lust under control, your mother was protecting you.” He shook his head. “Then she died. You were turned into a human because she had not been able to finish the proper ritual to be your master. Marie saved you.”

“Why didn’t you tell him?” I asked, my heart heavy. I stood up and held André’s hand. “Don’t you know how much pain he’s been in?”

“Of course I do,” he said. “I have not enjoyed keeping this a secret.” He looked at my parents. “When I heard of a wolf and a human mating, it reminded me of my dear Mirela. So, I watched. I watched as the White Wolf was born. I watched as she grew. I watched as tensions got worse. I watched as you met André for the first time. That was when I knew things were going to change.”

He walked toward André again but he stepped back, bringing me with him. Tiberius’ eyes were sad.

“Tomorrow we start negotiations,” he whispered to me. “I will be the new ambassador. What happens between the vampires and the wolves is now up to you. You and André.”

He looked at André again but the young vampire shook his head and stormed out of the room, letting my hand go. I watched him go sadly and, once again, my wolf took over.