‹ Prequel: Camp Celestial

Fire and Ice

Fate

The world was black. My wolf had pushed me to the side and left me in nothing but darkness. I stumbled to my feet and held my arms up, reaching for some kind of wall or place to sit.

There was nothing, though, and I started to panic. I could feel my wolf’s anger as she did whatever it was that she was doing. I was worried about everyone.

I sat back down and curled my knees to my chest. I couldn’t focus on one thing as the darkness pressed around me. I shut my eyes tightly, hoping to think of something to keep me sane. Then I saw light through my eyelids. I just squeezed them tighter, though, thinking my mind was playing tricks on me.

“Open your eyes, Delia Wolfe,” a female’s voice said and I did so reluctantly.

I blinked a few times as the light temporarily blinded me. When they cleared, my jaw dropped. A tall, beautiful woman stood before me. She was pale with waist length black hair. She wore a white dress that resembled a robe in the way it hung from her shoulders. Her hands were clasped in front of her, barely visible from her long sleeves.

“Stand,” she said, her voice echoing.

“I-I’m afraid to,” I said.

Her smile was kind and she reached a hand out to me. I hesitated then took it. She helped me to my feet and I stared at her in wonder. Her skin was warm and I wondered if that had to do with the light she was radiating.

“Who are you?” I whispered.

“I am Fate,” she answered.

My jaw dropped. “You’re real?” I breathed and she bowed her head. “I thought it was just my parents using a name for coincidence.”

“Many believe that,” she said. “In a way, they are not wrong.”

“Where am I?”

“Your wolf’s mind,” she said. “She is very angry, Delia Wolfe. She is prepared to kill.”

I bit my lip. “Can I stop her?”

“No. I have already tried.” She shook her head. “I cannot control White Wolves.”

“Really?” I asked and she nodded. “So I just have to wait?”

Her blue eyes studied me for a while. “There is one thing you can do.”

“What?” I asked eagerly.

“Your loved ones worry for you. The abomination mocks you. I can give you the power to speak.”

“What do I say?”

She smiled. “Whatever you choose to.”

“You don’t have anything specific you want me to say?”

“Many believe I control everything,” she said. “This is not the case. There are some things I control, yes, like when two people find love. Sometimes, though, I cannot. This is one such time. Would you like to speak?”

I gulped. “Yes.”

“Come,” she said and I stood beside her.

She waved her arm and I saw my wolf standing in front of the corpse.

“What is she doing?” my mom sobbed.

“She knows there’s no way around it. Fate has called her for this.”

I hated how this man taunted my parents. The words spilled out of me.

“Here’s the thing about Fate, Peter,” I said and everyone looked around. “She cannot control a White Wolf.”

I could sense Peter’s fear and confusion. Below, André passed his jacket to my wolf. She used it to wipe the chalk clean and I gasped.

“What are you doing?” I heard Peter demand and realized he thought I was still there.

I smirked.

“Oh, you don’t have to worry anymore,” I said. “Well, not about me. My wolf, however, is rather upset with you. I have no control over her. You should know one thing, though.”

“And what’s that?”

I glared and balled my hands into fists.

“You’re going to rot in hell.”

I didn’t see what happened next. Fate swept her arm again and the scene faded.

“What happens?” I asked her but she shook her head.

“I cannot tell you. It is up to your mate to do so.”

“Why?”

She smiled. “Because that is the way I have decided it will be.”

I blinked. Before thinking, I said, “That’s a really crappy explanation.”

To my surprise, she laughed. It sounded like a million tiny bells.

“Go now,” she said. “They are calling for you. Calm your wolf down and return.”

I hesitated. “Can I tell them about this?”

Her eyes stared into mine. “If you wish.”

Before I could respond, I fell down through the darkness.

-

“Do you think she’ll be okay?”

“Yes, I do believe so. There is no telling what Fate has decided, though.”

“Damn it! That’s not an answer!”

“Calm yourself, André. She’s waking up.”

I blinked my eyes open and looked around. I was still in the hidden room. André, Tiberius, and my father were all standing over me. When he saw my eyes open, André let out a cry of relief and hugged me tightly.

“Gentle,” I gasped. My head was pounding. “Where is Peter?”

“You don’t need to worry about him,” my dad said.

I looked to André. “She said you’re the only that can tell me.”

“Who did?” he asked but I didn’t answer. “Your wolf…. Well, it was pretty violent.” He cleared his throat. “She ripped him apart by his limbs. They all disintegrated about thirty seconds ago.”

“How long was I there?”

“Where, Delia?” he asked, stroking my hair.

“With Fate,” I said. “I was in her void.”

They all looked at each other and I knew they thought I was crazy.

“You were out for about half an hour,” my dad said. “How are you feeling?”

“Exhausted,” I said after a minute of thinking. “Did I hit my head?”

“No,” my dad said.

“What are we going to do now?” I asked as André helped me sit up.

“You are going to rest,” Tiberius said. “We will summon all of the leaders here and tell them of what we witnessed. Then we will return you home. André shall come back to London with me and we can-”

“Who said I wanted to go back to London?” André demanded.

Tiberius stared. “It is your home,” he said. “Surely you wish to be there.”

He shook his head and tightened his arms around me.

“This is my home,” he whispered. “I’m not leaving.”

Tiberius smiled softly. “Let us all rest. We will discuss this in the morning.”

André looked like he wanted to argue more but he just helped me to my feet. I leaned into him as we went upstairs, my mom walking beside me.

“I’m so tired,” I yawned.

“We’re almost to the cabins,” my dad said. “You and André can sleep in cabin 61.”

“Okay,” I said though I had no idea why.

The cool air felt nice after being in the stuffy basement area. My dad walked in front of us and opened the keypad. He typed in 6100 then put his hand on the panel. It turned green, we heard the clunk, then he stepped to the side so we could walk in.

It was very spacious and I groaned in longing when I saw the bed. André chuckled as he took me there. He took my shoes off and put the covers around me. My dad closed the door and André went around to get in on the other side.

“I really saw her,” I told him when we were both under the covers.

He frowned. “Fate?” he asked and I nodded. “What does she look like?”

“She’s very pretty.”

“Probably not as pretty as you are, though,” he said.

I giggled and he pulled me over to him. I yawned again and closed my eyes.

“My wolf must’ve been really mad,” I said, my words slurring.

“She was,” he said.

He rubbed my back and I felt myself drifting to sleep.

“You’re not going to leave, are you?”

He kissed me before moving so our bodies were touching.

“Never, Delia.”