‹ Prequel: Camp Celestial

Fire and Ice

Messages

When we got back to the manor, my father was waiting in the entryway. His eyes slid from me to Delia. She quickly walked by him and up to her room. I watched her go, frowning in confusion. Why was she asking me all of those questions?

Then I got nervous. Was she already wise to what my father wanted? If she was, would she tell her parents? Then-

My father slapped me suddenly and I stumbled back, shocked. I stared at him, feeling blood run down my cheek. I curled my hands into fists, leaving them in my pockets.

“What was that for?” I hissed.

“I told you not to spend time alone with her,” he snarled, getting up in my face. “You’ll ruin everything.”

“You know I couldn’t say no,” I argued, still feeling bold from being out with her. “It would have been rude.”

“What did you talk about?” he demanded.

“Nothing,” I said and tried to walk around him but he blocked the way.

Thanks to my mother’s side of the family, I was taller than he was. I looked down at him, getting angry but doing my best not to show it.

“How many of my secrets did you spill?”

“I didn’t tell any secrets,” I snapped. “Now excuse me.”

He grabbed the front of my shirt and pushed me against the wall. I glared into his eyes but knew that, if I did or said something stupid, he’d kill me right here.

“If I find out that you’ve told her anything, I’ll kill you,” he whispered. “You’re lucky your sister loves you or you would have died years ago.” I didn’t answer and his eyes flicked between mine. “And don’t dare try to pursue her. She’d never be with you even if I wasn’t here.”

He let me go then went upstairs. I stood still, trying to get my breathing under control. I felt eyes on me, though, and looked up. I paled. I caught a glimpse of Delia’s arm going around the corner. How much had she heard?

“André?” my sister asked, coming from the courtyard. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, touching my cheek. It had already healed. “I just got a little hot.”

She rolled her eyes and dragged me into the living room.

“You can’t lie to me. What happened?”

“Father,” I said. “We can’t talk about it, Marie. You know that.”

“He’s sleeping,” she said but I shook my head.

“No.”

“André, please,” she whispered, taking my hand. “Why won’t you tell me what he says?”

“Because it doesn’t matter,” I said and tried to take my hand back.

“Yes it does,” she argued. “Whatever he’s saying to you is causing you pain! I can feel it, André!” She sighed. “Is it about your mother?”

“No.”

“Is it about Delia?”

“No.”

She sighed and put her head on my shoulder, wrapping her arms around me.

“You’ll have to tell me someday,” she said. “I’m always here for you, you know that right?”

I sighed, too. “I know, Marie. Hell, you’re the only one who’s here for me.”

“Not true,” she said. “The Wolfes seem to like you.”

“How have the meetings been?”

She rolled her eyes at my subject change but sat back up.

“As good as they can go,” she answered. “Father is being stubborn. Logan’s really patient, though, so I think he can outlast him.”

“What if they can’t come to an agreement before we leave?” I asked.

She bit her lip. “Father is threatening staying longer.”

I glared at the TV. “You know why he’s really wanting to stay longer.”

She ran a hand through her hair. “I don’t know what to do about that, André. I don’t want her to have to go through that. Not like your mother did.”

I leaned forward, putting my elbows on my legs.

“There’s got to be something,” I whispered. “Something we can do.”

“Maybe there is,” she said. “They’ve got a computer. Do some research.”

I shook my head. “He’ll find out. All he has to do is get his hands on the computer.”

She thought. “What about Delia’s laptop? Logan said that they have the best security for their personal computers.”

“He told you guys that?” I asked.

She nodded. “Father hacked into his computer to show off.” She shrugged. “Ask to borrow her laptop.”

“Maybe,” I said.

“Did you go on your walk today?” she asked.

“Yeah, I did. We went to a park. It’s really nice. I’ll have to take you.”

“Do you like her?”

I just shrugged and rubbed my eyes.

“I’m going to go get some blood from Logan,” I said. “Do you want to come?”

She shook her head. “I had some already. It’s making me a little sleepy.”

“Okay,” I said.

I went up to where Logan’s office was and knocked twice.

“Come on in,” he said and I opened the door. He smiled a little. “André. How was your walk with Delia?”

I put my hands in my pockets. “Nice,” I said. “Um… where’s the-?”

“Ah! I almost forgot,” he said. He turned and opened a mini fridge. He passed me a juice box and I thanked him. “Hold on. I have a question for you.”

I stopped at the door. “What kind of question?” I asked slowly.

He leaned back, his face serious. His eyes flicked between mine.

“How much do you know werewolves?”

I blinked. “Not much. My father doesn’t like talking about them.”

“I see,” he said.

“Have I done something to offend you?” I asked, panicking. “Because, if I did, I’m very sorry.”

“No, you haven’t caused offense. There is one thing you need to know and take very seriously.” He leaned forward now. He put both elbows on his desk and pointed at me. “We are fiercely loyal to those we love. If we feel like they are in danger any way, we won’t hesitate in attacking. Have I made myself clear?”

I wanted to tell him it wasn’t me he should be worrying about.

“I understand, Mr. Wolfe,” I said quietly.

He nodded once. “I’ve already informed your father and your sister so don’t look so scared.” He gestured at the blood in my hand. “You should feed before you faint.”

“Yes, sir,” I said and left.

As I walked slowly to my room, I knew right away that the Wolfes knew. I wasn’t sure how they knew, but they did. That would explain why my father was so afraid I had said something to them. In a way, that was a good thing. It meant my father’s plan probably won’t work.

When I got to my room, I nearly stepped on a piece of paper. I picked it up, frowning, and shut my door.

It was a drawing of me and I smiled a little, touched that she had done it. I looked on the back and inhaled sharply.

It’s funny how, when extremely tired, vamps can’t be woken up. Sounds like a good time to wander undisturbed. Maybe even to the courtyard.


I sat down and bit my lip. I had no idea what to do. She was right: my dad would be fast asleep for at least five more hours as will my sister. Should I risk it?

I turned the paper back over in my hand and looked at the drawing.