Status: Sequel to "Piece in Our Time"

Time Changes

Chapter One

In Norse mythology there are the Three Norns. Their names are Urd “past”, Verdani “present” and Skuld “future”. These are the goddesses of fate. They spend their days spinning the threads of life and deciding the fates of all beings. When a child is born the Three Norns add that child's piece of fate into the thread. They design the destiny of others. Though they design it, the path they lay out is not final.

Eva's body surged forward from the ground beneath her. Her lips parting as water gushed from her lungs and through her mouth, like lava from a volcano, landing on her face and on the ground around her. She gasped for air and struggled against the strong arms that forced her back down. She had been unbound, and her wrist flexed in their new found freedom. Her frozen lungs burned with the introduction to air. Her body was numb, and her hair, now resembling icicles ,stuck to her forehead. Her clothes formed to her body like a second skin. Her eyes had pried themselves open, the cold air causing them to dry out and burn. They watered. Her throat horse, let out a hushed cry.

"Tiernen?" She choked on his name. The arrogant young man stood before her. A wide, knowing smile on his lips.

"It's a bit cold for a swim, is it not?" His words were mocking. Eva struggled to breath. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Why was Tiernen here?

"Where is Asmund?" Eva pushed herself into a sitting position. Her fingers dug into the snow, but she felt nothing. Tiernen wrapped his cloak around her shoulders. His own hair was soaking wet, and cascaded down his shoulders. He wore a pair of dry skins on his lower half,his chest bare. He did not seem fazed at all, by the cold. He flexed in front of her as he stood up straight. He glanced down at her. Fragile and shivering on the floor like a child.

Eva could only imagine how she looked. She probably resembled a miserable, old cat. Wet and wide eyed. Trying to catch her breath.

"It seems your savior was not there this time. A witch are you?" Again, he was mocking her. She had nearly died and he was mocking her. Anger, betrayal and embarrassment bubbled at the service of her emotions. Asmund had left her to die at the hands of his blood thirsty clan.

"How did you get here?" She was making her best attempt at ignoring his joking manor.

Why hadn't Asmund saved her?

"Horse." Tiernen spoke as he reached down and scooped her frail body up and into his arms. He was leading her away from the bank of the river she had nearly perished in. Eva looked back. It was empty. No one around but them. Asmund really hadn't come for her.

"Put me down, Tiernen,Now." Eva pushed at his chest with her thawing fingers. Her struggle was insignificant. She had little to no energy. Her body was putting all of it's focus on getting her warm. It was hard to even speak, let alone free herself from his strong grasp.

"I don't think you'd make it to far in your state. It wouldn't be good of me to let you go off on your own. Now that you haven't got another savior, only I. Which reminds me, you owe me now, Eva. I saved your life, now you'll come with me." He was rambling along as he thrust her upon his horse. He took a moment to fish for a dry top in a leather satchel thrown over his horse, he quickly pulled it on before straddling the horse behind her. She noted the rest of his men were with him, hosting upon their own horses. They had been silent. Eva wondered why. They were never silent before. It confused her, only for a moment.

"What do you mean I owe you? I didn't ask you to save me." Eva looked back at him, they were moving now. Slow, and away from the river. Away from Asmund, away from his clan. She was relieved and saddened all at once.

"Would you rather I left you?" That smirk on his face was irritating. Even more so was how right he was. He had saved her life. She did owe him. What she owed him, she was uncertain. But the warmth of his body behind her, and the heat of the cloak drover her to calm.

All Eva could think about was how Asmund had betrayed her. He had left her to die.
♠ ♠ ♠
For those who forgot what Tiernen looked like.

Small introduction.

I will have the second chapter up sooner than I had this one.

I hope you guys enjoy this sequel. Lots of twists to come !