Don't Get Me Hooked

What?

I came to LA in hopes of finding something new.

Something new as in new job, new boyfriend, maybe even a new life. The world had not been kind to me in Podunk, Missouri. I had my friends, and my loving mother who I would do anything for, but I needed new.

My best friend, Cassie, was with me. We were fresh off the flight from St. Louis and needed a good rest. It took us almost a year to plan everything out, but starting in two weeks, we were officially UCLA students and had our own apartment just a short walk from Campus. Cassie was undecided in her major, but I was here for music.

Music is my one true passion, well that and fashion. I always thought it sounded so pretentious to say you’re into fashion. It’s not like that with me, I just like looking nice and doing my makeup. I see nothing wrong with those two things.

It took almost an hour to get through the streets of LA to the apartment we had signed a lease on. We chatted on the ride there about all the things we planned on doing; mostly spending every available moment on the beaches. Growing up in Missouri can really make you appreciate a good beach scene.

“Well, we’re here.” Cassie spoke as the car came to a halt. “Are you ready?”

“Nope.” I said as I sighed and hopped out of the car. Our stuff was supposed to already be here, so I wasn’t shocked that the apartment was filled with boxes. I combed my blonde hair with my fingers and sighed. “I don’t really want to do this right now.”

“Me either. Where are we going?” Cassie said, looking at me. Cassie is a classic beauty, long brown hair, gorgeous skin; the works. We have been friends since the 7th grade and even though we’ve had some rough spots, we’re still true to each other’s friendship.

“Santa Monica Pier?” I asked, smiling. It was the one place we’d talked about going to forever. We knew the Pacific Park would give us something fun to do, and the Ferris wheel would give us a good view of LA. We quickly set on our way and was excited to already be seeing LA.

I was meandering my way through the stalls and shops, Cassie was off doing her own thing, when a yellow lab approached me. She sniffed my hand and I patted her head. I thought she would leave me alone when I walked away, maybe just a bystanders pup, but she followed me. I took a moment to look at her tags and collar. “Hazel” was written in comic sans on the tag and a phone number. I didn’t think the dog lost, so I just let her follow me.

When I made my way to the end of the pier, just to take in the sight of the ocean, Hazel sat down beside me and licked my hand.

“Oh my gosh, Hazel!” I heard a man’s voice behind me. “Where did you go?” I turned to be met with a dark haired gorgeous creature, that I’m pretty sure wasn’t from this planet.

“She followed me out here. I’m sorry.” I could feel my cheeks getting redder. I know I must look like beet at this point.

“No reason to be sorry, thanks for watching her.” The man smiled. I noticed his arms covered in tattoos, and the weird feather earring in his ear. “Well, thank you-What was your name?”

“I’m Carley. And it’s no problem.” I smiled, trying to hide myself behind some invisible cloak to maybe he wouldn’t see me as I bid him good bye, but the more I opened my mouth, the more he acted like he wanted to stand with me.

“Well, thank you, Carley. My name is Kian, by the way.” He held out his hand for me to shake it, but I was frozen. Men did not come like this in Missouri.

“Hi, Kian.” I smiled. My phone rang and I sent a silent thank you to the man upstairs for the saving grace. “I’m sorry, I have to take this. Good meeting you.” I smiled and I slid my phone unlocked.

I spoke with Cassie and how she was going to head back to the apartment. I told her I would like to meander some more on the pier and I would be back shortly. I started getting uncomfortable when I saw Kian leave, walk past me two more times, then finally walk away. I turned to take my attention back to the waters.

What an odd creature he was. He wore eccentric clothing, like a flowered head band even though his hair was not unkempt. The tattoos were random, all different shapes and things covered his arms. I wondered silently over where else he had tattoos.

I didn’t want to think about him, and his super cute puppy, but it was the only thing racing in my mind. I tried thinking about other things, like starting college soon, and getting my room just perfect in the new house.

That’s what I will do, I will distract myself with going home and decorating. I took a cab back and found Cassie cooking in the kitchen. She had made something simple for us for supper and we both retired to our rooms after dinner. I started immediately putting things away and making the room look nice.

I was none too thrilled with my choices in decorating. I was a new person now, I’m no longer Missouri Carley, I am Los Angeles Carley. I need new furniture.

I finished putting up what I knew I would need for a few days until the weekend and fell asleep wondering what I was fantasizing more about, Kian or new things.
♠ ♠ ♠
~**~Hammi~**~