Status: COMPLETED

Arrangement

By: Spellcraft Writings

The air was still.

No ray of sunlight was able to permeate the thick group of silver clouds that promised some snowfall soon.

Several strayed glances maneuvered before the lady seated patiently by the bench, unable to resist the deed to present a look of admiration at her direction.

Her complexion resembled the same white of the snow that surrounded the scenery, a scarlet pigment dressing the plump lips that sprouted from her delicate face. Her complex hairdo was carefully arranged with an elegant comb that matched the selection of her vestment, the various layers of the silky fabric protecting her frame from the elements and the fixed posture of her slender neck gave her a dignified impression as she calmly waited for her visitor

The season spared the frost over the calm surface of the water. Shrines and the wooden bridge were all filled in an alabaster coat, disrupted by the few footprints of the guests enjoying the quiet surroundings.

A spiritual gong at the local temple traveled through the frigid air until reaching the ears of the artisan, her sharp eyes rising to the skies currently under the protection of her parasol.

“A lovely view even under these conditions.” A serene voice comment making her gaze turn ever so slightly toward the guest behind her. “I hope you haven’t waited too long.”

The man answered after a pause, the gong of the temple once again announcing the time of prayer.

“It is the promise of a new spring.” The woman’s voice stated calmly, wondering how long her visitor had been waiting to announce his presence. “One can find beauty and peace under the long rest of the seasons.”

“Shall we take a walk?” The man suggested, standing carefully and walking around the opposite bench to reach the lovely woman. The artisan arranged her parasol against her opposite shoulder anticipating the movements of the visitor behind her.

She offered a discreet smile as her pale hand reached the aid extended by the gentleman. Regardless of her heavy kimono she stood with graceful and careful movements, walking soundlessly against the snow over the ground.

No words were exchanged as they walked among the gardens, enjoying the silence and comfort of each other’s presence. The man was wearing a long coat of ebony color, the shinny surface of his shoes contrasting with the pearly coat of winter. His hat protected his features as the snow began to fall silently, the crystal flakes resting against his broad shoulders.

The gentleman faced the back of the artisan who glanced toward the water underneath the bridge. A soft breeze blew against her direction carrying the scent of her sweet perfume into the nose of the man as he breathed the fond fragrance.

“I trust your child and wife are well Otaka-san.” The lady offered with sincere care, no answer attributed to her comment by the refined man.

A final gong died among the atmosphere, the noise waking the instincts of a nearby group of pigeons taking flight.

“Spring will come soon.” Was his only remark while the woman remained enraptured by the soothing rhythm of the river, her slender fingers turning the parasol over her shoulder.

Her majestic features faced the courter with a serene expression while her full lips formed an arrangement of words before dismissing herself with a delicate bow.

Before leaving the man moved forward, capturing the ivory hand of the artisan and stopping her tracks. The touch was cold and smooth like porcelain, the brief sensation enrapturing the suitor who let go of her and apologized for his advances.

She disappeared without looking behind her, the footprints against the snow the only reminder of her presence.

In his solitude the gentleman looked into the sky while the flakes continued to fall soundlessly, once again renewing the world in their artic embrace.

Until spring, Otaka-san.
♠ ♠ ♠
© 2016 Spellcraft Writings.