Canary and the Coal Mine

Midst of Mischief

Nikki’s ringtone went off and I actually jumped this time, spilling my bag of chips all over the bed. With a groan – hurriedly scooping the crumbs back into the bag – I scowled at the closed bathroom door.

“Nicole! Come answer your phone!”

“I’m busy!”

“If you’re not out here in five seconds, I’m answering for you,” I threatened; I didn’t get a reply. The phone stopped ringing – killing my empty threat – and I went to settle back against the pillows.

When it went off again I threw the bag aside, scrambling over the crumb-covered sheets at record speed.

“Don’t touch my –“ Nikki started; I already had it to my ear, smirking at the door as she desperately struggled with the locked knob.

“Nicole’s personal answering machine,” I announced to John cheerfully. “Your girlfriend is busy voiding her bowels and can’t come to the phone, but as soon as the smell leaves and it’s safe to go near her again –“

The door flew open and Nikki came hobbling surprisingly fast towards the bed as John gave a heavy sigh on the other end. Cackling, I threw her the phone and scooted to the other side, just to be safe; getting kicked with her brace freakin’ hurt.

“I was not pooping,” she said immediately to her boyfriend, to which I had to add,

“Why else were you in the bathroom for half an hour?”

Jamie,” she whined, glaring at me as she dropped onto the bed. Still snickering to myself, I snagged my chips and hopped up to give her some privacy – okay, mostly to keep from getting kicked – and trotted out into the hall.

Just as I settled against the wall, my own phone buzzed in my pocket. The name on my screen made me smile, like it had been all day.

From: Dean
fav movie?


That was a good one; I hadn’t thought to ask him that yet. We’d been texting all morning – well, more like all week. Practically since the moment I went back into the locker room Monday night, now that I was thinking about it. We’d started out slow, telling each other goodnight like we usually did, and it’d just kept going the next morning.

Normally – despite what Brie insisted – I didn’t text a lot. I was with all my friends constantly, so there was really no point. It was exciting, talking with Dean like this; my heart sped up every time he sent a message. I mean, it was just a never-ending round of 20 questions, but it was fun.

The Princess Bride, hands down. I hit send and a moment later typed, what’s yours?

He wasn’t the fastest texter so I settled in to wait, snuggling deeper into his hoodie. As it had been the last few days, my mind went back to Dean. For a moment I began to think of how different it was with him compared to Randy – and instantly backtracked off that dangerous path. Dean and I weren’t dating, and I needed to stop letting myself think things were going that route.

Not only had he made his feelings towards me clear – no matter how much it felt like we were flirting – I was nowhere near ready to think about another relationship. Even though the hurt was now mostly a low-burning anger towards Randy, I was still tender. I didn’t need to throw myself into another blender of feelings and thoughts and emotions so soon; not only would it complicate things for me, it wouldn’t be fair for someone else. Whoever ended up with my emotional, conflicted ass would be nothing more than a rebound, and that wasn’t fair for anyone involved.

Not like that’s gonna be a concern with Dean, my mind pointed out. It was hard to keep my feelings in check. I knew I was still hurt over Randy, and I was totally blowing Dean’s kindness towards me out of proportion. We were friends, and he was being nice to help me through a rough time.

Except, it seemed like more. A lot more sometimes. Sure, mostly we just poked fun at each other and picked on Seth. But other times… those looks he’d give me, how protective he was with not only Randy but Seth… hell, just the other night in the ring! Did friends pin you to their body and practically kiss your neck?

Maybe he’s as bad at unintentional flirting as you are, my mind argued, slamming on the brakes of my derailed train of thought; I gave a frustrated sigh to myself and slumped further down into his hoodie. I mean, everything he did – minus the body pinning thing – wasn’t much different from how my other friends were. He was taking care of me, like a friend should. Right? Thankfully before I could go spiraling off in my head again my phone buzzed. I grabbed it so fast I nearly dropped it.

From: Dean
call u real quick?


The phone was ringing before I even got it to my ear.

“I’m not familiar with that movie,” I told him as soon as he answered. His chuckle on the other end got me grinning instantly.

“Yer funny, Finch,” he drawled; I could imagine him rolling his eyes and smiled a little more. “Hey, I wanted t’let ya know we ain’t gonna be at the show tonight.”

The smile slid off my face.

“Oh,” I said, trying not to sound bummed. I mean, things came up, right? It wasn’t like I’d been looking forward to seeing him all week or anything… Realizing how lackluster my reply had been I added quickly, “I’m not bringing you your hoodie, just so you know. It’s mine ‘till Monday now.”

He gave another chuckle.

“D’you really need a hoodie in Florida?”

“It’s winter,” I argued, saying what he’d told me Monday. “It gets cold at night.”

“Right. An’ how do I know you didn’t go sell it for glitter? Or more’a that bedazzlin’ crap?”

I made a noise of disbelief and did my best to sound affronted despite the smile on my face.

“I can’t believe you’d even – I have never been so insulted –“

“Sounds like yer hidin’ somethin’, darlin’,” he said slowly, making my grin widen as I bit back a giggle. God, what was I, thirteen?!

“I’ll send you a picture when we hang up. And when you see it’s safe and sound I expect an apology.”

Dean laughed; I pictured him shaking his head as his tongue pressed against his teeth. His trademark grin that sent my mind scattering every time I saw it.

“Yeah, let’s see the hoodie first an’ then we’ll negotiate.” I heard voices in the background, and then heard Dean murmur something back before telling me, “gotta go, Finch. Hey, be careful tonight, okay? I know y’like causin’ trouble an’ shit but just – y’know, be safe with my hoodie.”

My cheeks tinted as I grinned to myself; even if we were just friends, it was nice hearing him worry over me. Pushing back the disappointment at having to say goodbye, I scoffed and told him,

“I think you keep forgetting that you’re the troublemaker. It’ll be a boring night without you harassing me.”

“Yeah?” he hummed. “Just have’ta make it up to ya, then.”

My heart did another little flip as I tried to keep my emotions in check; I was seriously acting like a kid. “I’ll hold you to that, Ambrose.”

We both went quiet for a moment until I heard Roman calling his name.

“Talk t’ya later, darlin’. I’m waitin’ for that picture.”

“Bye Dean,” I giggled, not lowering the phone until he ended the call. With a heavy sigh, I thunked my head back against the wall, turning the phone over in my hand as I immediately began dissecting our conversation. Talking to him was… it was different than Nikki or Brie, or even Bryan. No matter what we ended up saying, he always got a smile out of me.

Nikki was wrapping up her call – judging by the amount of ridiculous giggling and whining goodbye’s I was hearing, so I sat up straighter tried to wipe the disappointment off my face. It wasn’t like the night would suck without Dean, right? And that just meant that next Monday would be even better.

Flashing a wide, cheesy smile at the camera, I snapped a picture and then hurriedly sent it to Dean just as the hotel door opened. Nikki poked her head out as I scrambled to my feet, straightening the overly large hoodie as I gave her a smirk.

“Is the room safe to enter or do I need to wait for the smell to clear?”

The smile dropped off her face and she scowled, towing me inside as she looked up and down the hall quickly. “I was not pooping!”

As I snickered to myself, enjoying the flush of embarrassment on her face, my phone buzzed.

From: Dean
pics too small. cant tell if the hoodies ok. no apology.


On instinct I rolled my eyes and quickly typed a reply.

Not my fault you have a fossil phone, old man. Get with the times, and get me an apology.

“Why’re you grinning?” Nikki mused, poking her head over my shoulder. With a squeak, I tucked the phone to my chest and skittered away. “Are you flirting with Dean? Oh, yeah, look at that face. You’re so flirting!”

“I – what?” my traitorous voice was an octave too high and I cleared it quickly as I rushed out, “we’re just texting Nicole. It’s what friends do –“

“Yeah? Is that why you can’t stop grinning?” she challenged; I quickly tried to wipe the lingering smile off my face to glare at her instead. “Because I don’t smile like that when I text you…”

Scoffing, I tucked my phone safely into the hoodie pouch as I retreated to grab my duffel.

“Well, you should. I’m a pleasure to talk to.”

“You’re so humble and modest,” she muttered, rolling her eyes as I gave her a cheeky grin. “Careful not to trip over your ego on the way out.”

“Says the woman that has a picture of herself as her phone wallpaper.”

“It’s a picture of me and John!” she argued as we lugged our – well, mostly her bags out into the hall. Seriously, why did she need four suitcases?!

“You can barely even see him!” I argued, and then snorted at my unintentional joke. She groaned as I waved my hand in front of my wave, humming his theme song.

“You are so annoying.”

“I’m hilarious. You’d be bored to death if I wasn’t,” I pointed out; despite still trying to scowl at me, she just shook her head and tucked me to her, kissing my temple briefly before we started the trek down to the parking lot. I made a face and wiped at the lipstick, getting another laugh out of my best friend.

So, no Dean… but I had high hopes for a good night anyways.

--

My hopes hadn’t lasted long.

No one in the room was looking at me, but I was being watched. Twice I’d gotten up from the couch to grab something out of my bag and each time, either Brie or Nikki had gotten up with me. John gave me a mean side-eye any time I shifted my position, and even Bryan was on edge with each stretch or yawn.

It’d been almost forty-five minutes and I was about ready to crawl up the walls. The night was dragging, and no it wasn’t because Dean wasn’t here. I wasn’t that pathetic. I was just being held captive and I didn’t do well being cooped up.

That was my story and I was sticking to it.

On top of it all, I didn’t even have a match to look forward to. Essentially, I was only here because both of my rides were scheduled in the ring and apparently I wasn’t even allowed to sulk on John’s bus by myself. At this point I would’ve taken another match as a heel over being confined to this stupid dressing room.

I’d been doing my best to get invested into Kofi and Cody’s match, but I couldn’t even put my heart into watching Cody get flipped mustache-first over the ropes and into the announce table. As Kofi got the pin, there was a half-hearted mumble of yay’s from myself and the twins. As I shifted to sit upright again, I saw John and Brie tense and I bit back a groan of frustration.

I needed out, and I needed out now. Before I could start formulating my escape plan, though, a nasally voice caught my attention from the screen.

“Hey, dummy!” Big Show sneered as he stormed off his bus. One of the arena workers who had been polishing his already-spotless bus paused and looked over.

“Yes, sir?”

What did I tell you I wanted my temperature set to? Huh? I told you sixty-eight degrees! Not sixty-seven, not sixty-nine, sixty-EIGHT! Is it really that hard to figure out!”

I-I’m sorry sir, I’ll fix it!”

That’s right you will! I could find any moron as useless as you are to do this instead. You got one job to do, and that’s make sure you do what I say! So get in there and fix it, and then get this bus spotless!”

The poor kid was close to tears as he nodded and rushed onto the bus while Show muttered about how much of an idiot he was. Now I have something to do. Did I want to tangle with Show again? No. No I did not. But I didn’t like bullies and I’d be damned if I let Big Show harass anyone like that.

To my complete surprise, as Show stalked away towards the arena, a new figure slipped out from the shadows. Alberto Del Rio smirked after Show before he turned and grinned at the now-unmanned bus.

It hit me that I still owed the man a plate of tacos I didn’t have, and an idea sprung into my mind that sent me excitedly to my feet. As I turned for the door, John was up with me and instantly at my side.

Oh, right. My over-protective shadows.

“What’s up?” he asked me, rubbing his hands together and lifting his brows, seemingly ready to go.

“What’re you doing?” I asked slowly, inching towards the door as John inched towards me. He jerked his head towards the hall.

“You tell me. Where’re we going?”

When I glanced over at the others, they were not-so-secretly eyeing us. I let out a groan and dropped my head back.

“Oh come on you guys, please don’t start this escort service again! I thought you all trusted me –“

“Trust is a loose word,” Bryan piped up. At this point I had no idea if he meant that jokingly, or in the ‘hiding secrets from him’ way and I wasn’t opening that can of worms again.

“Of course we do,” Brie cut in, throwing a look at her boyfriend as she turned, not even pretending she hadn’t been listening. “It’s everyone else we don’t.”

“So in other words Randy,” I sighed. They all spared full glances at me and I rolled my eyes, Not keeping secrets was becoming a real pain in my ass. Telling them about my altercation with Randy wasn’t something I’d wanted to do for this exact reason. Honestly, if Bryan hadn’t seen the bruises before my match on Monday I would’ve kept my run-in with Randy to myself. Except if I’d tried to cover it up, if Bryan and the others caught me in a lie… I hadn’t wanted to test the dangerously thin ice we were balanced on.

“Look, until things settle down, it’s best you don’t go poking the bear… er, Viper, I guess,” John started; the others nodded in agreement. “I know you can take care of yourself, but if you can avoid getting hurt outside of the ring then I’d rather take that route.”

There wasn’t any way they’d let me talk myself out of being guarded; at least not for tonight. Apparently I wouldn’t be avenging the arena worker and paying my debt to Del Rio. With a heavy sigh I scraped a hand down my face and resigned to my fate.

“Yeah, okay. Fair point,” I muttered, jerking my head towards the door. “But I need to get out of here before I lose my mind.”

John nodded and swooped to give Nikki a swift kiss goodbye, and we headed out into the arena. The two of us were painfully silent down the entire hallway. I felt like a prisoner being escorted around the jail yard, and I was sure it had to look the same way.

When we reached the intersection of the next corridor, though, John paused. He looked back behind us, and then leaned in a little closer.

“Can you meet me back here in half an hour?” I was so stunned at his question I didn’t even give an answer, and when he saw the look on my face he sighed and explained, “I promised Nicole I wouldn’t talk business tonight with Hunter and Steph. She doesn’t want to risk me getting stuck with another conference or a photoshoot this weekend…”

Ah, mutual blackmail! My favorite kind of scheming mischief. We’d both get to run off unquestioned with neither able to out the other without outing themselves. He saw the look on my face and gave me a pleased smile.

“Half an hour,” I confirmed, and we both took off from one another before John could come to his senses and change his mind. It only took me a handful of minutes to sprint from backstage all the way out to the bus parking. I could hear Big Show’s music starting up just as I hit the doors, meaning we wouldn’t have a lot of time.

“Del Rio!” I hissed, scampering towards Show’s bus. He wasn’t in sight, but I knew he couldn’t be far. “Hey, Alberto!”

As I came to the front of the bus, the door swung open, and the man I was looking for appeared on the bus stairs. He didn’t look at all surprised to see me. In fact, he looked pretty pleased, and called back behind him, “she’s here!”

I stepped back as he hopped off the steps, rubbing his hands together as he came up to me, looking much more pleased than most people did when I arrived with malicious intents in mind. I raised my brows at him. “Were you expecting me?”

“Oh yes, niñita. Where there’s trouble, you’re never far behind. I had a feeling you’d be wanting to help knock Big Show down a few pegs. Plus, I believe I was promised tacos?”

I gave him a sheepish smile. “Well, I don’t have tacos, but I do have a proposition that I think will be a little more satisfying.”

The wicked grin on Del Rio’s face told me all I needed to know.

-x-

Thankfully, we had a slew of bitter arena workers who weren’t happy seeing Show treat one of their own the way he had. Which meant it only took us roughly fifteen minutes to get the back tires off Show’s bus, and only five more for Ricardo to haul them off to places unknown on the flatbed truck he’d mysteriously acquired. I didn’t even question it; I knew better than to ask questions in the midst of mischief.

As Del Rio and I stood back and admired our handiwork, a thought popped into my head. I hmm’d and glanced up at my newest partner in crime. Del Rio raised a brow in question.

“He said he wanted his bus spotless, right?”

At Del Rio’s cackle, I took off back inside. The match had to be over soon if it wasn’t already. I ducked down the side hall and pulled open the first janitorial closet I could find. Lo and behold: buckets of orange paint. Giggling wickedly to myself, I snagged one of them and scampered back outside, proudly sitting it down between Del Rio and I not three minutes later.

He just shook his head as he gave a chuckle. “Your pranking skillset both amazes and frightens me.”

“As it should,” I told him, and to my surprise he rested a hand on my shoulder and nudged me for the door as he lifted the paint bucket.

“I’ll take it from here, niñita. I think it’s best Show doesn’t know you were a part of this,” he assured, backing for the bus. “Your assistance is appreciated, and you can consider the tacos compensated for.”

With a thankful smile and a two-fingered salute, I spun on my heel and raced for the building. He didn’t have to tell me twice. I was many things, but thick-headed wasn’t one of them. Usually. If I got to prank Show and stay under the radar I was taking it without question.

And, I even had a few minutes of my allotted half hour to spare. On my way to the designated meeting spot, I worked on cleaning my hands off as best as I could. Which pretty much just meant I was wildly wiping them off on my shorts, thankful I’d gone with a darker pair. I still had a few smudges left as I turned the corner and came face-to-face with John.

He took in my suspiciously dirtied hands and his brows drew together.

“Is that grease?” he started, ready to drill me about my whereabouts. In response, I flicked my eyes to the paper he was holding. His face fell into a decidedly neutral expression.

“Is that an appearance agreement?”

Holding my gaze, he slowly folded the paper up and tucked it into his back pocket before wordlessly turning to head back down the hall. Mutual blackmail certainly had its perks.

Thankfully I’d scraped all the smudges off my skin by the time we reached the locker room.
The twins were on the couch, and Bryan’s match was just starting on screen. They both looked up as John settled next to Nikki and I plopped down beside Brie.

“That took a while,” Brie started, looking between us. John shrugged as he slung an arm over Nikki’s shoulders and said dismissively,

“We stopped to talk with Kofi about his match and got a little sidetracked.”

We-he-hell. He was thinking of covers for us too? I seriously needed to recruit him for more schemes in the future. I couldn’t lie to our friends, but apparently John was giving himself the go-ahead. I didn’t mind one bit.

The twins and I fell into idle conversation about where to stop for dinner after the show as Bryan’s match progressed. It was a one-on-one against Titus O’Neil, an easy win for the goat man, so we didn’t pay much attention. In fact, we’d all but forgotten about the show until Alberto Del Rio’s voice rose up.

We all swiveled our heads to the TV. Big Show was backstage, doing an interview with Matt Striker, and Del Rio had just popped up on the screen behind them.

Big Show, I know you insisted to Stephanie that I be kept out of matches until Elimination Chamber. I found myself wondering what I was going to do with all that free time, so I figured… why not make a friend?” The camera panned out to reveal the arena worker Show had been yelling at, and a grin split my face. He was televising this?! This was even better than I’d expected.

Show’s face twisted into fury as Del Rio continued, “he told me all about the problems you’ve been having with your bus, all the things you wanted him to do, and since I have so much time on my hands, I wanted to help him out.

I’d never seen Show move as fast as did at that moment, lumbering through the halls and bursting outside. He rounded the corner and let out a wail as he came upon the scene. All four of us burst out laughing at the tire-less bus, the furious shouting of Big Show only adding to the damage.

And then, as Show slumped against the bus, the most beautiful scene unfolded in front of us. Orange paint came slopping from above, drenching both Show and the side of the bus in a matter of moments. In the midst of my cackling, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Brie, Nikki, and John all turn towards me.

There was nothing, absolutely nothing – besides my lucrative history of pranks and misconduct – that indicated I was tied to this, but all three of them were staring incredulously at me.

“What?” I asked in feigned surprise; all of them deadpanned at me as Brie groaned,

Jamie seriously?”

“You were gone for half an hour. How did you get tires off a bus and find paint?!” Nikki asked in disbelief. Trying my best to stick to the whole not lying thing, I gave her a bewildered look.

“Does that really sound like something I would do?”

All of them, again, gave me the same unamused look as I blinked innocently. As John went to say something, I caught his eye over the twins’ head and raised a brow. If he wanted to out me, I’d have no problem asking about that paper in his back pocket. He scowled, understanding my expression, and stayed unhappily silent.

“Pranking the roster is one thing,” Brie began, starting in on her motherly chastising. “But pranking Big Show after what happened last month!? Jamie, you really should know better –“

“’Scuse us,” came a familiar voice from the doorway, saving me from the conundrum I’d somehow backed myself into. Sheamus was leaning inside the locker room with Ryback at his shoulder, both men grinning at me like they were up to no good. “Mind if we borrow ya, lass?”

I’d scrambled over the back of the couch before he’d even finished talking. The twins called after me but I skirted into the hall, giving a haphazard I’ll be back! as I raced after the men. Once we were a relatively safe distance from the locker room, the three of us gathered off to the side.

“Not that I mind being summoned, but what’s this about?” I asked them, leaning up against the wall. Not that it really mattered, honestly. After siding with me on Monday, I’d pretty much do anything they asked. The two of them exchanged an eager smile and then looked back at me.

“We’re callin’ out the Shield,” Ryback cackled, rubbing his hands together as Sheamus nodded enthusiastically. “Gonna challenge ‘em to a match at Elimination Chamber.”

“And we need a third. Figured you might be in on knockin’ their skulls together with us,” Sheamus added; I was nodding before he finished speaking. Are you kidding me? A chance to be in the next pay-per-view and I got to wrestle Dean? No way I was turning that down.

“Oh I’m so in,” I laughed, and concern flickered into my chest. My smile slowly slid off my face and my friends matched the expression of concern I gave. “Did you, uh, get it cleared for me to tag with you though?”

Sheamus frowned at my question and glanced at Ryback. “Not you specifically, but a t’ree-on-t’ree match is set up.”

Though I giggled at Sheamus’ accent, I couldn’t help the heavy sigh and instantly Ryback asked, “What’s wrong, Squeak?”

I rubbed the back of my neck and gave a tight smile. “With everything that happened last week with Randy, I’m not exactly on the right side of the McMahon’s to be put into a match at Elimination Chamber.”

The two men exchanged a look, nodded, and then both turned back to me. Ryback came up and rested his hand on my shoulder, giving a squeeze of reassurance. “I don’t care what Randy Orton tries to say or what side Hunter and Stephanie try to put you on. You’re my friend, and that’s not changin’.”

Sheamus stepped up now too and rested a hand on my other shoulder as he explained,

“I’ve been in the business long enough to know a heel when I see ‘em, and sorry to say, you don’t got what it takes to be one.” When I still looked uncertain, Sheamus shrugged. “Plus, I’ve also known Orton long enough to know that he probably deserved what ya did. And if not, well. It’s not breakin’ my heart seein’ him knocked down a few pegs. If you’re with us for this, I’ll make sure ya get the approval.”

Again, I couldn’t begin to even explain how grateful I was for their support. To take my side over Randy Orton and pretty much everyone else in the company – and the WWE Universe – meant more to me than they’d ever know. Wordlessly I stepped forward and wrapped an arm around each of them, hugging them tight as they returned the gesture.

Not wanting to get too sappy on them, I stepped back and nodded as I gave a wide smile. “I’m in. And if I know you two, I’m guessing you’ve got something planned for tonight.”

Ryback’s face split into a devilish grin. “I just found out the Shield aren’t here tonight –“ I did my best to feign an oh my gosh, they aren’t?! look. “So we’re gonna go out to the ring, talk some shit, and tell ‘em where they can find us in a couple weeks if they got a problem with us.”

Sheamus tugged out his phone and checked the time, then glanced between us. “Alright lads and lasses. I’m gonna go get all members of our team cleared –“ he gave me a wink, “and we’ll meet back here at 9:30 to give the Shield a piece’a our minds. Deal?”

“Deal,” Ryback and I chorused, and the three of us split off. As I started my trek back to the locker room, my phone buzzed in my pocket. Half expecting Nikki or Brie to be attacking me with a slew of texts, I was genuinely surprised to see Dean’s name instead.

From: Dean
thought I told u to be careful little finch.


My heart fluttered at his message; no matter how many times he did it, being called little finch still got to me. It was his special name for me and okay, maybe I liked being special to him. Biting back a smile, I sent him,

I am the most careful person here tonight. I haven’t even been in the ring.

Almost instantly I got the reply of,

yea cuz u were busy takin wheels off a bus an pourin paint on people.

Instead of going straight into the locker room, I leaned up against the wall just outside the door. I knew the twins would demand an explanation of where I’d been and right now I had more important things to do.

That was Del Rio, for your information. Better get your eyes checked, old man.

del rio dont strike me as the paint pourin type. u on the other hand…

I’m insulted you’d accuse me of something like that. How dare you.

I could hear Dean’s breathy chuckle, see the smirk he always fought to keep back in an attempt to look intimidating.

if theres any paint on my hoodie ur in trouble.

Quickly I snapped a picture of myself, showing me in my merch shirt and a pointed scowl on my face.

I’m not even wearing it right now. I can’t believe you would think I’d endanger MY hoodie.

Almost instantly I got a reply.

UR hoodie??

Yep. MY hoodie. I’ve had it for more than three days, so it’s officially mine.

thats not how it works

Sorry old man I don’t make the rules.

ur right u dont. which means that hoodies still mine.

Huh. I don’t see you here to take it back. M-I-N-E.

we’ll settle this on monday darlin. i’ll show u who makes the rules.

Oh, so you’re gonna have Roman come get your hoodie back then?

I could practically feel the scowl he gave me through the phone at that.

hilarious. im gettin even for that comment too now.

I’ll believe it when I see it Ambrose. I’d recommend keeping an eye on the show tonight. You know, if it’s not too late for you. I know the elderly need their sleep.

trust me darlin im watchin

Well if that didn’t get the damn butterflies going in my stomach… I took a second to clutch my phone to my chest and grin to myself like the overexcited twelve-year-old girl I secretly was. Teasing Dean never got old. Unfortunately I couldn’t stand out in the hallway giggling all night.

Just as I was about to walk in, my phone buzzed again. This time, a new name lit up the screen and excitement burst through me.

From: Sheamus
You’re in. See you in fifteen.


Okay, maybe I could stand and giggle in the hallway a little longer. I was in! Despite Randy and all the bullshit that was surrounding him, I was going to be in Elimination Chamber. Missing Royal Rumble had really sucked, but now I had a chance to make it up. This was the last pay-per-view before Wrestlemania, and if we had a good match, that could land me on the lineup. I could wrestle on the biggest night of the year.

No way I was gonna let anything or anyone mess that up for me.

-x-

Ryback, Sheamus, and I stood at gorilla, all bouncing on the balls of our feet as we waited to go out to the crowd. Sheamus, the unofficial leader of our rag-tag team, had come up with a simple plan: go out, talk shit, go back. Easy, straightforward, and to the point. Admittedly, a part of me was disappointed that the Shield weren’t here. With how I was feeling right now, I wanted nothing more than to face off with Dean, Roman, and Seth and kick off the weekend on a good note.

Just like with the hoodie, though, I was certain that what we started tonight, Dean and the boys would follow up with on Raw. The anticipation of a face-off next week just added fuel to my jittery fire. Out in the arena, I could hear the recap that was playing of Monday night’s encounter between the Shield and my friends. Hopefully it would hype up the crowd enough that they wouldn’t mind too much if I was a part of the match that was moments from being announced.

As the recap faded out, Sheamus turned to look between Ryback and I.

“Ready?”

Ryback nodded and I gave him a thumbs up. Moments later, his entrance music hit and he took off down the ramp. We turned to the TV hanging beside us and watched as our tag partner rolled into the ring, microphone in hand and a devious grin on his face.

“Now I dunno about all of you, but gettin’ the one-up on the Shield has been the highlight of my week!” Seamus nodded enthusiastically with the crowd as they went off into a hearty YES-chant. Ryback and I, though silent, threw our fingers in the air with them. “The thing is, I don’t wanna stop there. I say we ride the wave of success and put the Shield in their places once and for all!”

The crowd roared with him, more chants of YES breaking out. Sheamus let it die down, turning in the ring to study the crowd with a grin. “See, I can’t do that on my own. I need a team that knows how to bring the Shield to their knees!”

Instantly, unsurprisingly, the Universe shifted into shouting FEED ME MORE. On time, Sheamus pointed to the ramp and Ryback’s music hit. We bumped fists as he stalked out to the stage. His march to the ring was swift, and in moments he was pacing along the ropes, microphone at the ready. When the crowd died down, he turned to Sheamus and growled,

“If you’re takin’ down the Shield you know I’m in. I won’t ever pass on a chance to rip those wimps in half.” Another roar from the crowd as he and Sheamus gave an agreeing nod. “But we gotta go at this the right way. That means we need one more person. Someone who knows the Shield better than they know themselves. Someone who’s got experience dealin’ with them and all their underhanded tricks.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Sheamus agreed, bobbing his head eagerly. “Someone we can trust t’have our backs when it counts. Someone that’s in the fight for the long haul, that’s not afraid t’get their hands dirty…”

Sheamus and Ryback turned to one another, smirks on their faces. Ryback lifted the mic and said slowly, “sounds like you and I got the same person in mind…”

In time, they turned to the stage just as my music hit. With a deep breath – ignoring the overwhelming boo’s and trying to focus on the little bit of cheering I heard – I put a smile on and danced out of gorilla.

I didn’t want to waste time going down the ramp. I mean, most people around me didn’t look like they wanted to high-five me, so instead I made for the ring, hopped onto the apron, and vaulted over the ropes to come face to face with my tag partners.

“Whatta’ya say, lass?” Sheamus asked wiggling his brows at me. “You wanna fight the Shield?”

“No,” I said slowly, and they both gave me looks of surprise as the crowd voiced their confusion. “I want to destroy the Shield.”

The roar of the crowd completely caught me off guard. The mixed chants of YES! and FEED ME MORE were now joined with LAWLESS and FELLA. The arena was deafening in their support, and whether it was because they were fully behind the three of us or they just wanted to see the Shield get taken down, all that mattered was that they were all on board.

With a nod to me, I lifted my mic and looked around the arena. Once they’d quieted down again, I said slowly, “Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns… I hope you’re watching us. Mark my words, boys, there’s a storm coming to sweep you away. The Shield’s gonna be in a fair fight, and we’re not backing down until you’ve learned your place. On February 17th… Justice will be served.”

My music hit and the crowd roared again. Sheamus, Ryback, and I turned to each other in the ring grinning at one another. Sheamus stuck his hand out, and Ryback and I piled ours on top. Sheamus counted down from three, and we threw our hands in the air, getting one last pop from the Universe before we rolled out of the ring.

“I’d call that a damn good promo,” Sheamus laughed once we were backstage, slinging his arm around my shoulders and bumping fists with Ryback. “Team Justice is ready’ta kick Shield in the arse.”

I hmm’d and looked up at our Irish counterpart. “Team Justice, eh?”

“Figured I’d come up with a name, seein’ as the two’a you thought Team No SqueakBack was a good idea.”

Ryback and I both gasped, completely affronted. I pulled away from Sheamus and actually put a hand to my chest, gaping at him. “The audacity! Team No SqueakBack is a legendary name that will be forever enshrined in the hearts of the WWE Universe.”

“Yeah,” Ryback nodded, feigning hurt as well. “What she said.”

Sheamus gave us both a dry, bemused scowl as I shook my head and huffed, “you think you know a guy, and then he comes and tells you he thinks Team Justice is somehow superior to the pure poetry that was –“

“Alright, alright! Y’got somethin’ better, then?” Sheamus laughed, nudging me along down the hall. I gave him a shrug and a cheeky smile over my shoulder.

“How does Team BroguelessBack sound?”

“Sounds like we’re stickin’ with Team Justice,” Ryback snorted, shaking his head at me.

Sheamus nudged me again and gave me a cheeky grin of his own. “Sounds like I was right in takin’ the lead on namin’ us, then.”

As we reached my locker room, the three of us paused and I turned to fix them both with my most dangerous scowl, arms crossed and brows furrowed, the whole nine yards. They didn’t look impressed.

“I’ll admit that I’ve done better, but I won’t admit you’re right.”

Both men shared a bemused look as they started back down the hall; Sheamus ruffled my hair on the way past and I swatted his hand away. “We’ll get’ya there, lass. Have a good weekend, I have a feelin’ we’ll be seein’ a lot’a the Shield come Monday.”

“Roger that, Captain Justice,” I called; he snorted and gave me a look over his shoulder. Ryback gave me a wave in goodbye.

“See ya, Squeak. Play it safe.”

“You too, big guy.”

As they disappeared around the corner, I scurried into the locker room and nearly ran head-on into Bryan. We both gave a start and jumped back, and then snorted at each other’s reactions. As if remembering who he was talking to, though, the humor slid off his face and almost instantly it was replaced with the same guardedly-respectful expression I was really growing to hate.

Would we ever be back to the way we were? I loved my best friend but he was the pettiest person I’d ever met. He held a grudge like Brad Maddox held onto the delusion he was a decent wrestler.

“I didn’t know you were in a tag match against the Shield,” he started, and worry curled in my stomach. Did he think I was hiding things?”

Quickly I shrugged my shoulders and told him honestly, “neither did I, until about an hour ago. I told John and the twins,” I defended, pointing out my witnesses as I rushed, “I would’ve told you too, but you were still with Kane and I’m pretty sure he’s ready to incinerate me the next time I irritate him. I didn’t wanna risk it –“

“No, no,” Bryan said quickly, and a genuine smile flickered onto his face. “I know it was sudden. I just… that was a really good promo you guys did. You really got the crowd behind you.”

There was an undertone of pride in his words that set a warm glow kindling in my chest. He saw the surprised hint of a smile on my face and squeezed my shoulder as he slipped into the hall. “I’m gonna go grab some food and then we’re hitting the road. You want anything from catering?”

“Literally whatever you can fit on a plate,” I told him, smiling after my best friend as he rolled his eyes at me. John and Nikki were gone – probably already on the bus getting a start on tonight’s love-fest – but Brie was still there, packing up Bryan’s ring gear.

“He’s right. That was killer,” she assured me, surprising me more than her boyfriend had. “You got me excited for that fight. And you know I’m already worrying about in the ring with those guys.”

I tossed her Bryan’s boots as I grabbed my – okay technically Dean’s – hoodie and tugged it on. “You actually liked me threatening a group of men that could snap me like a glowstick?”

Her smile flickered into a frown for just a second. “Yes… but I didn’t need that visual.”

As I passed by her to drop onto the couch I wrapped my arms around her and tugged her down to press a kiss to her cheek. She just sighed and reached up, patting my own before I collapsed on the cushions and burrowed into the hoodie.

When I pulled out my phone, I saw a text I hadn’t noticed earlier, sent almost ten minutes ago.

From: Dean
best bring your a-game on monday. you know we wont go easy on ya.


Why? It’s just the Shield, not an ACTUAL threat. I’m sure I can handle the geriatric crew.

keep talkin darlin. ur lucky im not there to remind you what happens when u mess with the shield.

An idea popped into my head, and when I was sure Brie wasn’t looking, I sent him a picture of me all but buried in his hoodie with the message,

You wouldn’t dare jump me in my new hoodie, would you?

i see some paint on MY hoodie. ur in trouble.

Why was the thought of being in trouble with Dean so enticing? It took me a second to think of a reply – and I actually had to double-check there wasn’t paint on the hoodie – before I finally managed,

It’s sad how fast your eyesight is going at your ripe age, old man. I’ll make a donation to the Shield so you can get some glasses.

As I sent the last text, Michael Cole’s voice cut into my daydreams of exactly what being in trouble with Dean could mean. Not that I was totally stuck on that or anything. Ahem.

In just nine nights, it’ll be explosive tag-team action,” he announced and then an image of Sheamus, Ryback, and I popped on the screen. A moment later, the Shield joined us on the opposite side. The match was official! “February 17th, Sheamus, Ryback, and Lawless will team up against the Shield in an explosive match that will set the stage for Wrestlemania!

Nine nights.

Nine nights between me and my own road to Wrestlemania.

Time to show the WWE Universe what Jamie Lawless was really made of.

-x-

Dean

He knew he should’a been listenin’, but Dean couldn’t focus t’save his fuckin’ life.

Finch was sittin’ on the couch, so close her bare leg was restin’ on top’a his knee; shorts were a good look for her. Not that he’d been starin’. All mornin’. Wasn’t his fault he hadn’t seen her in almost a week, an’ then she turned up in his hoodie that was so fuckin’ long it didn’t even look like she had anythin’ on underneath –

He had’ta cut off his thoughts before he got himself worked up. Again. He focused on watchin’ her type away at the new phone he’d just picked up. He’d been thinkin’ ‘bout the text she sent him yesterday, about sendin’ him pictures all the time… he really liked the thought’a that. He’d been lookin’ at that picture of her in his hoodie all night, an he’d practically fuckin’ run to the store t’get a new one the second they opened.

‘Cause then he could call Finch an’ ask for help figurin’ out how it worked. He had no idea what she was doin’ now – he still wasn’t listenin’ – but he tuned back in as she giggled and looked up at him. For a moment everythin’ fell outta his brain an’ all he could do was stare at her. She was fuckin’ gorgeous an’ every now an’ then he just couldn’t get past it.

Even in just a pair’a jean shorts an’ a Colorado shirt, with her hair piled up on top’a her head, strands hangin’ down into her bright green eyes… When he realized he was starin’, he cleared his throat an’ studied the look on her face. Mischievous. An’ she was still holdin’ his phone.

“What’d you do?” he asked her, narrowin’ his eyes playfully at her. Gigglin’ again, she shifted on the couch, got up briefly on her knees, then turn an’ dropped right next’ta him t’lean up against his arm. His thoughts scattered an’ for a moment he forgot his own name; he couldn’t think straight when she was so close. ‘Specially now, with just the two’a them in the hotel room, no audience, no friends…

He coulda turned his head an’ kissed her. Fuck he wanted to. He wasn’t goin’ down this road again, thinkin’ about how different shit would be if he’d just fuckin’ kissed her back. He kept himself up enough nights with that anyways he didn’t needa do it now. Instead he just focused on bein’ close t’her without havin’ t’worry about how shit looked t’everyone else.

“I fixed Seth’s name in your phone.”

Princess Sparkle was on his screen with a pink sparkly heart next’ta the name; Dean fuckin’ snorted an’ she went off gigglin’ some more. He loved that sound, loved havin’ her curl into him as she tried t’pull herself together.

“He’s gonna be pissed. I love it,” Dean laughed, sneakin’ a peek down at her as she pulled her own phone outta her pocket. She unlocked it an’ then held it out t’him as she plucked his phone from his hand. “What’re y’doin’ now?”

“I’m putting an emoji next to my name,” she explained, tippin’ her head back t’look up at him. “It’s a very important ritual with smartphones. You’re gonna pick one to put next to yours.”

“I am?”

“Yep. You need to practice using a smartphone anyways, old man.”

That got a laugh outta him. Shakin’ his head, he sighed an’ pulled up her contacts like she’d showed him earlier. After a few minutes’a lookin’ through the emojis, he picked one an’ waited for her t’get done, settin’ her phone on her knee. Finally, seemin’ satisfied, she handed him his an’ looked down.

“A dog?” she asked, peekin’ up at him again as he shrugged,

“S’my favorite animal,” he offered with a shrug. They’d been talkin’ about their favorites all week, an’ she looked excited at what he said. Like she was happy he was continuin’ their conversation. It felt like an inside thing, somethin’ just for the two’a them.

“Oh! Okay! Hang on!” she snagged the phone outta his hand an’ tapped away quickly, then sat it back proudly in his palm. He smiled an’ gave her a look this time.

“Y’like cows?”

“No. I love cows,” she corrected. He snorted as she wiggled her brows at him while they both fell quiet. They were done tradin’ phones, but she still hadn’t moved away. “Okay. What’s next?”

She hmm’d an’ flicked through a few screens before noddin’ t’herself. “Okay! Here. Since I’m gonna be harassing you with pictures, you need to learn how to send them back.”

Dean’s chest tightened at what she was sayin’, even more when she tossed her phone aside an’ scooted closer towards him. She shifted until she was practically molded t’his side, lookin’ down at his phone. He could really get used’ta this, havin’ her here just hangin’ out.

“Okay, tap on the camera,” she instructed; he did as he was told an’ she added, “okay, that little camera with the arrows? In the bottom corner? Tap that.”

He hit it an’ suddenly he an’ Finch were on the screen. She grinned at him in the picture an’ nudged his arm.

“Take a picture.”

“What? Of us?” he asked, so surprised at what she was sayin’ he asked without thinkin’. She nodded an’ shit, there went his thoughts again. She wanted a picture with him? She coulda had him take a picture of anythin’ around them an’ she wanted one’a them. That had’ta mean somethin’, right? Shit, he had no idea.

Tryin’ to remember how t’fuckin’ function again, Dean slowly lifted the camera up an’ she scooted even closer. The little bit’a thought he’d gotten back disappeared again. Her arms wrapped around his and she hugged herself t’him, pressin’ her cheek t’his shoulder an’ grinnin’ at the camera. When she saw his straight-faced stare, she gave his arm a squeeze.

Smile,” she told him; just t’mess with her he frowned even more. She huffed and sank own against him. “Dean! Please?”

“I don’t like pictures,” he started, meetin’ her eyes in the camera. He was just bein’ honest. He did all he could to avoid ‘em, even broke one’a Seth’s phone’s once just’ta prove his point. But with Finch… She pouted, lips goin’ out an’ those big eyes blinkin’ up at him, an’ he couldn’t fuckin’ resist her.

Please? Just one? For me?” Despite his best efforts he found himself fuckin’ smilin’. She grinned, pleased with herself, an’ somehow got even fuckin’ closer. Both of ‘em grinnin’ now, he took the picture an’ felt his heart start beatin’ even faster.

He knew she was tellin’ him somethin’ but he just couldn’t listen. He was stuck on starin’ down at the two’a them. They’d been friends for a while now, spent a decent amount’a time together, but seein’ this picture made it real somehow. Now it was real. There was proof this gorgeous, funny, sweet-souled kid really was his friend. Sometimes, late at night when he couldn’t sleep, his mind got him thinkin’ he had it wrong. That someone like Finch couldn’t really like hangin’ around him.

But now there was this, an’ if nothin’ else it meant that she liked him enough t’want a picture with him. An’ shit that meant somethin’ t’him. Meant a lot. He was so fuckin’ lost in lookin’ at the two’a them he forgot he was supposed’ta be doin’ somethin’.

“Dean,” she laughed, elbowin’ him playfully an’ getting’ him t’look down at her. “Quit pretending you can’t hear me.”

“Why? It’s fun,” he lied, snappin’ his attention back t’his girl as she rolled her eyes. “What am I doin’?”

He listened t’her as she patiently walked him through sendin’ the picture. When her phone went off she moved away from him t’grab it off the cushion. He expected her t’stay sittin’ up, so when she slumped back against his arm again he let his thoughts run off again.

“There, see?” she showed him the picture. “I told you it’s not that hard.”

“Yeah, when you’re right here showin’ me shit,” he argued, hittin’ the home button an’ shakin’ his head. He watched as she saved the picture to her phone, an’ he gave her a nudge with the arm she was leanin’ against. “What’re you gonna do with that picture?”

Yeah, he was settin’ her up, an’ he didn’t care. The whole mornin’ had felt surreal, doin’ shit he’d never thought he’d find himself doin’, so why not push his luck? He expected a teasin’ reply, or even a sassy comeback, but when she met his eyes she actually looked flustered.

“I, um,” she said quickly, tuckin’ her phone to her stomach to hide it. Dean lifted his brows in surprise. He hadn’t been expectin’ her to do that. He turned to face her, careful not t’make her move from leanin’ against him, an’ he asked slowly,

“Finch…?”

She gave a quick smile an’ rushed out, “it’s, uh, it’s blackmail. You know, for when you inevitably do a promo on Monday saying you’re all tough and stuff, I can prove that you’re actually in fact a big teddy bear.”

He was pretty fuckin’ pleased t’say he knew her well enough to know she was lyin’, but he wasn’t about t’call her out for it. Nah, instead he’d take what she’d given him an’ run with it. He let his face fall into a dark frown and now he did shift out from under her. Finch bit back a giddy smile as she scrambled back from him.

“You really think it’s a good idea t’blackmail the Shield, knowin’ what we do?” he growled, leanin’ closer to her. She didn’t pull away an’ for a second he swore he saw a flicker of arousal flash through those green eyes’a hers. Just like the other times he got her at his mercy.

“The Shield? No,” she began slowly, an’ he saw her holdin’ back a cheeky smile. “But I can totally handle Old Man Ambrose –“

Dean lunged at her, goin’ for her phone, an’ Finch let out a laugh’a surprise as she scrambled back, holdin’ it outta his reach. He planted his hand on the arm’a the couch an’ leaned over her as she shrunk down beneath him, tuckin’ the phone to her chest protectively.

“Lemme see,” he demanded playfully, lookin’ down at her and grabbin’ one’a her wrists, tryin’ to pull her arm up. She giggled and shook her head, trying to roll off the couch to get away, phone fallin’ to the cushion beside her. He dropped the hold on her wrist an’ wrapped his arm around her waist, pullin’ her back to him. She bumped into the arm holdin’ him up and he slumped down onto his elbow beside her.

Again, she was trapped underneath him.

The laughter slowly faded out from between ‘em and Dean found himself lookin’ down at his girl, lost in her gaze again. He wasn’t on top’a her completely, she could’a moved if she wanted, but she didn’t. She stayed beneath him, phone forgotten now as she held his stare. His arm was still around her, an’ one’a her hands came t’rest on it an’ he felt her fingers tighten against his muscles.

He knew she liked his arms, which is why he’d worn his sleeveless shirt. First time ever he’d worn somethin’ ‘specially for a girl, an’ now he didn’t feel as dumb as he had changin’ his shirt twice before she got there. Her hand slowly slid over his skin, first up t’his shoulder, then down t’his elbow, clearly admirin’ what he was showin’ off. Her touch pulled him closer, an’ she still didn’t pull away.

She was just inches from him an’ he couldn’t hold back. He had t’kiss her. Had t’feel her lips on his again. Slowly, he moved down towards her an’ for a heartbeat she started leanin’ up. Her phone ringin’ just inches from both’a them scared the absolute shit outta Finch an’ Dean.

She gave a squeak and he instantly sat back, the moment between them shattered by the entrance theme for the Wonder Twins. Finch scrambled up an’ answered quickly as Dean sat waitin’. His heart was beatin’ hard in his chest, thoughts runnin’ a mile a minute. Had he just fucked up? Had he gone too far with her? She’d just gotten outta that messed up shit with Orton, an’ now he was layin’ her on the couch goin’ in for a kiss.

He wasn’t even listenin’ to her conversation, too wrapped up in what he’d do if she was pissed. If things got uncomfortable with ‘em. For a moment he thought back’ta that first kiss, how they hadn’t talked an’ it’d pretty much been one’a the shittiest times he’d gone through, an’ that was including’ havin’ nothin’ but a bag’a clothes and a couple’a bills in his pocket.

He’d take that over losin’ Finch again anyday.

When she hung up, though, the concern vanished. She was smilin’ up at him softly, not as playful as before but just as warm. She stood up an’ tucked her phone into her pocket but didn’t go to leave, turnin’ to look down at him like she was waitin’ for him t’move.

“Sorry. Nikki wants to grab some lunch before we head out,” she explained as he got to his feet, runnin’ a hand through his hair t’try and look a little more put together than he was. To his surprise she added, “do you wanna come with?”

God he really fuckin’ wanted to. Of course, Paul goddamn Heyman had’ta ruin everythin’. He an’ the boys were meetin’ him in just about half an hour now. Not enough time t’go out with his girl an’ enjoy lunch. He gave an apologetic shake’a his head.

“I’d love to, darlin’, but I got a full schedule today.” When he saw her face fall just a hint, he teased, “yer pretty lucky I was able’ta pencil you in at all. Just for that I’ll let the blackmail thing slide. For now.”

There it was, that playful grin he loved. She rolled her eyes an’ tipped her head back t’stare up at him. “Then I won’t charge you for my services. This one’s on the house, old man.”

Giving her a dry scowl at the nickname, he shrugged and offered, “I ain’t cheap. Send the bill, I’ll make sure Seth pays ya.”

She let out a laugh and somehow that stunnin’ smile got even wider. He walked with her to the door as she giggled, “I’m totally doing that, by the way.” He tugged the door open for her an’ she turned to him again, almost lookin’ shy. “Will you be at the show Monday? Um, so I can harass Seth with the bill.”

The flush on her cheeks told him that wasn’t the only reason. He gave her a nod and said with as much meanin’ as he could muster, “yeah darlin’. We’ll be there.”

“Good,” she said, and seemin’ to realize what she’d just said, she added quickly, “maybe if you’re nice this weekend I’ll think about giving you partial custody of my hoodie.”

Dean went to say somethin’ that would’a been borderline appropriate at best, so maybe it was good her phone started ringin’ again. Finch rolled her eyes up in exasperation and pulled her phone out.

“I’m on my way, jeeze!” he heard Wonder Twin yippin’ somethin’ on the other end, an’ then unexpectedly his girl’s eyes snapped back’ta him, and her face tinted even darker pink. “Yeah I am… no! It’s not like that, Nicole!”

He didn’t miss the smile she tried t’hide as she turned an’ muttered quickly, “just shut up and give me two minutes!”

When she hung up she turned back t’him, lookin’ shy an’ definitely a few shades darker than she had been moments before. What had Wonder Twin said t’her? Instead’a drivin’ himself crazy thinkin’ about that, he finally offered up,

“Y’better get goin’ before she comes lookin’ for ya.”

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure she’s about to as we speak.” There were several seconds of uncertain silence, an’ then Finch stepped up and slipped her arms around his waist. Dean was caught off guard for just a heartbeat; no one hugged him but her an’ he still wasn’t used’ta it. He wrapped his arms around her back and shoulders, engulfin’ her as he leaned down an’ rested his cheek on the top’a her head.

They stood like that for a lot longer than most hugs lasted. Neither moved, neither spoke. Finch’s face was buried in his chest an’ he felt her smile against his shirt before she turned her head t’say, “you need to text me for practice. I expect some emojis to be used when appropriate as well.”

“What, you givin’ me homework, little Finch?” he scoffed, pullin’ back just a hint t’look down at her. She tipped her head back and just gave a cheeky smile.

“Yep. Don’t worry, that’ll be added to the bill.” He let out a laugh an’ finally had’ta let her go as they stepped back. As she backed outta the room she gave him a last warm, genuine smile. “See you later, Dean.”

“Bye, darlin’,” he said quietly, returnin’ the smile as she turned and headed down the hall. He shut the door and let out a heavy sigh, leanin’ back against it as he shut his eyes an’ tried to clear his head.

Where the hell did the two’a them stand? Were they just friends? Did she know he was flirtin’? She was flirtin’ back, right? This shit was so damn confusin’. He’d never actually liked anyone like this. There’d been the indie girls, the groupies, the mindless nights with some skank he’d come across on the streets on the way back’ta the hotel, but never anyone like Finch.

It was complicated an’ confusin’, but shit, it was worth it for her.

His thoughts were interrupted by the ding of his phone from the couch. Reluctantly, he trudged over and stared in surprise seein’ a text from Finch already.

I meant it. You better practice. It’s harder for the elderly to learn new technology.

As he laughed and typed out a reply, he caught sight’a the picture they’d taken above her newest message. After he sent his text he pulled it up to stare down at it. Just the two’a them sittin’ together, Finch’s arms around him, smiles on their faces.

Proof that he was friends with the beautiful girl he couldn’t get outta his head.

Proof of the best morning he’d had in probably his entire life.

Proof that, no matter where the two’a them stood, regardless’a how he was tryin’ t’convince himself he wasn’t, there was no denying it: he was completely an’ totally lost’ta Finch.

He wouldn’t have it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
First, thank you guys SO much for all the kind words and support. You've seriously made me feel so much better and I love you all SO MUCH!

I really hope you liked this chapter! We're setting the stage for some BIG things coming up soon so you better brace yourselves! As always, if you could take the time to comment, I'd really love to hear from you guys!

As I'm coming up on the four year anniversary of posting this fic (how has it been four years?!) I want to try and do something special! Would you all be interested in doing a giveaway of sorts? A contest? If we do a giveaway, what things would you be interested in? Would you want some Canary and the Coal Mine things? Would you want a personalized one-shot? What would be fun for you guys?

I'd love to give back to you since you guys have supported me and the story so much. If this interests you or you have any ideas of what you'd want to do, feel free to comment, message me, or hit me up on tumblr (lunaticfinch.tumblr.com) to let me know!