The D in Apartment 23

God I Love You

Harry knew Bucky was exhausted from his mission, when he rang her with updates she could hear it in his voice. The dark circles under her eyes were an indication that she too was exhausted; choosing to work through the nights instead of staying in a cold, empty bed. He had messaged her to tell her he was on his way back an hour ago meaning they should be home any minute according to the clock on her bedside table. She made sure everything was set up perfectly, the candles burning releasing the cinnamon scent she knew he loved so much, the bath steaming away from the hot water filling it up as she smoothed down the new soft sheets on the bed; all she needed now was her man.

As soon as the trio had landed Bucky was off the plan, grabbing his bag and walking as quick as his tired legs would take him into the house. He made his way to the front room where he thought Harry would be, frowning when he didn’t see the face he had missed for the three days he had been gone. “Friday, where’s Harry?” He spoke out to the AI who informed him of her whereabouts, where he was soon heading off too. He opened the door slowly, the smell of cinnamon hitting his sense instantly as a relaxing wave washed over him; shoulders slumping as he called out her name, his bag landing with a thud on the soft carpet by the door. “H?” He questioned walking further into the room, noticing the black and white bedding that he always said was his favourite smoothed out over the bed. Finally Harry walked out from the bathroom her face instantly lighting up seeing Bucky stood there, rushing over to him she wrapped her arms around his neck tightly, his hands instantly gripping her cheeks as he pulled her into a lazy kiss, the kind where he could feel her smile on his lips.
“Hey soldier.” She winked up at him as he chuckled dryly. “Come on.” She spoke grabbing his hand and pulling him into the bathroom. “Get your kit off I’ve ran a bath for you, with the bath salts you pretend you don’t use, to relax you.” She smiled as he shook his head.
“Too tired, just wanna get in bed with you and stay there for a week.” He mumbled resting his chin on her shoulder as he hugged her from behind preventing her from grabbing a towel.
“No there is fresh bedding on the bed and it took me a whole hour to put it on so your not getting in it all dirty. Bath mister!” She scolded him spinning in his arms and pushing his jacket off him.
“At least get in with me.” He flirted, but, she knew deep down he didn’t mean it.
“I’m busy.” She chuckled at his frown, quickly hiding it as she pulled his top over his head; hair falling out of the bun. “Now if I have to take them pants off, I won’t be taking them off for the next month.” She threatened as he undid the belt buckle quicker than ever. “Thought so.” She smirked kissing his neck softly before motioning for him to get in the bath which he did. The hot water hugged his body into relaxation, his muscles completely giving up and he felt like his whole body was jelly a deep sigh leaving his mouth. He watched as Harry grabbed the towels and putting them on the heated rack before walking to the door. “I’ll be back soon, take your time.” She smiled walking out before he could protest.

It must have been about an hour when Harry walked back into the bathroom, watching as Bucky lathered in the shampoo so a mass of foam and bubbles were in place causing her to chuckle. “How do you make that look cute?” She smiled walking over and taking the jug out of his hand rinsing away the dirt with a smile. “So I’ve made that Garlic Chicken you like so much and I raided my old films and found a boring chick flick to help you get to sleep.” She smiled down at him once all the suds were gone from his hair.
“What did I do to deserve you?” He whispered up at her as she smiled.
“You saved me from an asshole ex.” She told him as though it was nothing, yet it was everything. “You dry up I’m going to go grab the food. I’ll meet you in bed in ten.” She winked once again disappearing through the door. Bucky got out of the bath with a little discomfort from his body protesting leaving the warmth, grabbing the towel that was just as warm he wrapped it around his waist and used the second one to rub at his hair helping it to dry off more. He checked himself in the mirror noticing the dark heavy circles around his eyes, the mission had taken its toll on his body and he couldn’t help but think his age was finally catching up with him. Staring at himself a little longer, he heard a small curse come from the bedroom seeing Harry struggling with the tray to balance it on her over filled desk. The papers strewed all over were important in their own way and she was trying not to disturbed the organised chaos she had created, Bucky quickly walked over grabbing the tray that was about to fall off as she moved her plans further up.
“This is why you need a binder.” He smirked, something he had been telling her for weeks now.
“I don’t need a binder, I have three different projects on the go a binder would just get confusing.” She have him the same excuse she always did.
“Then get three.” He chuckled pushing it safely on the desk once she had cleared a space, he went in the draw grabbing a pair of black boxers then the plate. They both got in the bed, Harry clicking play on the already loaded film, sitting in silence eating her speciality meal and for the first time in three days, they both were content and relaxed.

“So you and Sam how did you get on?” She asked once they had finished their food, her head was on his chest, her rounded finger nails drawing patterns over his skin and scars.
“Like a house on fire. I think we are practically best friends now.” He told her, twisting her hair around his fingers watching as the warm bedside light caught the different tones in it.
“You do know Wanda texted me telling me if you both fell asleep she was going to smother you both.” She chuckled, picturing it; Bucky and Sam having a petty argument over who was taking the first watch, who knew Steve best, and, who was the better fighter.
“He’s just so annoying.” Bucky sighed, his lips turning up at the corners when he felt her vibrate from laughing.
“I suppose the feeling is mutual.” She finally spoke, waiting a few more minutes until she asked the question she was unsure of asking. “So do you wanna talk about it?” Her voice was lower, Bucky sensing her hesitation.
“It’s okay. It was a simple one, we found the files eventually and then got out of there, I don’t think anyone was alerted of our presence and if they were then they didn’t show up.” He smiled down at her, his lips going to her forehead by way of reassuring her. “How’s the research going?”
“We’ve got significant breakthroughs, the trials we have ran have been better than we anticipated. Hopefully, soon we will have fully functional tissue and nerves.” She smiled knowing that her jargon meant nothing to him, she saw his smile at her enthusiasm.
“Then maybe you can grow my arm back.” He chuckled as she winked, “tell me more about it?” He asked with a serious voice, he was genuinely interested even if he didn’t actually understand. For the next ten minutes Harry explained the process and what was next in growing the sample with the hopes of helping to regenerate damaged cells and more. It wasn’t a healing agent - like in the heroes - instead it was something that could be used to help regrow cells that had been lost completely. She glanced up when she heard his breathing steady and a soft snore escape from his mouth, smiling she turned the television and lights off; settle back down and pulling the cover over them both with a smile. “God I love you.” She whispered before she too finally fell into a deep sleep.