Status: This story is the sequel to Washed Out Rock Song and is currently active.

Washed up Rockstar

Chapter Nine.

“Are you sure your mom won’t be mad?” I asked, swinging my legs back and forth over the edge of John’s pickup.
John shrugged. His body mimicked mine. “Too late now, right?” He smirked at me.
I rolled my eyes and leaned back, my back flat against the cool metal of the truck bed. My feet still dangled over the edge but slowed to a stop.
“She’ll be fine. She always schedules too many people on Sunday’s anyways,” he said looking back at me, “Besides, she’ll understand.”
“I’m sorry,” I said, embarrassed. My chest was still blotchy from sobbing and it was really never my intention to throw all of my problems at John. Still, it was nice he was here. It was nice having someone to comfort me. My boyfriend was back in Chicago along with any friends that I had. Kira was on her trip. At least with John next to me I didn’t feel so alone, no matter how awkward and embarrassing it was.
“You don’t have to be sorry, Leah,” He said. “I’m the one that’s sorry. You’re dad; he’s a really great guy.”
“Yeah,” I nodded, starring at the clouds above me. It was a lot of effort trying to keep myself from crying again. “He is.” I didn’t want to think about what life would be like without my dad.
“So what are you going to do?” John asked. “About Chicago? About everything?”
“I don’t know,” I sighed, sitting back up. “I guess I’m staying. However long I have to. However long he needs me.”
“Does Kira know?” John asked.
I shook my head. “No, they wanted to wait until after the wedding.” I sighed again. “She’s going to be heartbroken.” Even though my dad wasn’t Kira’s biological father, he was the only dad she ever knew.
“At least you’re here for her though?” John questioned, trying to look at the bright side.
“Yeah,” I agreed. He was right. I had to be here for Kira, for my parents. I had to be strong and get us all through this.
I thought about what I would have done if I was still in the city right now. If my parents had called me to tell me the news instead of waiting until I was here. I still would have come no matter what. I would have packed everything up and left my new home behind for my old one without a second thought.
As I sat here thinking about my life instantly changing around me, I thought about John. His life didn’t seem to be turning out how he had planned either. I wondered what changed his plans for him.
“Can I ask you something?” I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me.
John nodded.
“Don’t take this the wrong way but, what happened to you?” I asked. I knew it sounded mean, but I didn’t know how else to phrase it. “With school and everything? Your dreams? All of that?”
I looked up at him and waited for an answer. I recognized the sadness that overtook his expression again. He jumped down off of the truck and peered out over the lake.
“You don’t have to tell me,” I said, feeling guilty for making him feel bad. “I didn’t mean to intrude or anything.”
“No,” he said turning back around. He leaned against the truck and laid his arms on the metal next to me. “I can tell you, I just don’t want you to think any of it is your fault, because it’s not.”
“What do you mean?” I questioned. I was even more curious now.
He sighed. “It’s not a big deal,” he started. “When I got back from Chicago, from visiting you, I kind of just shut down.”
After we broke up, he means. I suddenly regretted asking him anything.
He fiddled with his hands, nervous to be telling me anything. “You know how I am,” he shrugged, “I just didn’t feel like doing anything. I dropped out, started fighting with my mom. Things just kind of fell apart for me.”
I immediately felt awful. How could I not blame myself? I knew about his history with depression when I sent him away, and I couldn’t even call to see how he was doing. I was too wrapped up in myself and my own emotions at the time to even think about him. I was a terrible person.
“Like I said though, it’s not your fault.” He assured me, clearly seeing the distress on my face. “I did it to myself. And I’m fixing it myself. Things are going okay for me now.”
“Are you sure?” I asked.
“Yeah,” he gave me a slight smile. He was silent for a minute before speaking again. “Leah, is it selfish of me to say that I’m glad you’ll be here for a while?”

I felt myself blush a little but I smiled. “A little bit.”