Status: This story is the sequel to Washed Out Rock Song and is currently active.

Washed up Rockstar

Chapter Two.

I sat next to Kira at a pew in the back of the church. She had a notebook in her hand, still trying to figure out the seating chart the day before her wedding.

“It looks fine, Kira,” I said. She was freaking out about the wedding. She needed everything to be perfect. “Stop changing it.”

She moaned and put the notebook down next to her purse.

“Kira,” Kennedy said, walking in the church. John followed closely behind him.

“There you are,” Kira stood up, “Why are you so late?” She used the side of the pew to help her up and she leaned up and kissed Kennedy quickly before rushing him down the aisle to talk to the minister.

“Hey,” John said to me. His hands were shoved into the pockets on his jean jacket.

“Hi,” I smiled.

“Do you mind if I sit down?” He asked.

I shook my head and he took Kira’s spot next to me. We sat for a minute, watching Kira and Kennedy listen intently to whatever the minister was saying.

“You seem different,” John said, breaking the silence.

I looked at him. “How?”

“Well for starters, look at you,” he said, “You’re wearing a dress,” he laughed. “And heels.”

I laughed and looked down at my navy blue dress. I bought it about a year ago and these heels were my favorite. But he was right, six years ago, you wouldn’t have caught me dead in this. I didn’t even wear heels to prom.

“You look the same,” I said. He was wearing a white T-shirt and black jeans. His hair was a bit shorter, but aside from that he looked the same. His green eyes still looked at me the same way.

“Okay, everyone needs to line up,” Kira said, walking back up the aisle. “Let’s try to get through this fast.”

John stood up and walked out the double doors leading to the church. Kennedy stood at the front of the church, waiting.

I waited for Kira to pass me and I followed her outside. A few groomsman were just showing up.

“Leah,” one of them called to me.

“Pat,” I smiled and met him halfway, greeting him with a hug.

“Wow, it’s been forever,” he said.

“I know,” I nodded, “How have you been?”

“You guys can talk at dinner,” Kira yelled to us.

I smiled at him and we walked back to the wedding party group crowding around the door. I watched as Kira lined everyone else up, one by one.

“Leah,” she said, pulling my arm and placing me in the line. “John,” she said, placing him next to me.

She let out a sigh. “Okay, let’s do this.”

Kira told our mom to coordinate the pairs down the aisle before grabbing my dad and getting in line behind up.

“Go slower,” I heard my mom say to the first pair walking down the aisle.

Before I knew it, John and I were facing the aisle, watching the pair in front of us stepping down.

“Leah, John,” my mom said, “When they are to the third pew from the front, that is when you go.”

John held his arm out for me. I took it, gently as we started down the aisle. If our interaction at the music store felt weird, then this was just crazy. Here I was holding on to the arm of my ex boyfriend. It made me nervous and I felt my hands start to sweat.

“I can’t believe they’re getting married already,” John said.

“I know,” I looked up at him and then back at the aisle ahead of me. Kennedy and Kira have been together for six years, so it really wasn’t that surprising. But she was only 23 and she was my little sister. This whole thing was crazy to me. I was so happy for her, don’t get me wrong. But she was my little sister and she always would be. Even though she was only a year younger, it was still like I was watching her grow up my whole life. And now she was getting married. It was overwhelming.

We got to the end of aisle and separated, I went to Kira’s side, in front of the other bridesmaids. John went to Kennedy’s side.

“Now the music will play and the bride will walk down the aisle.” The minister called, giving Kira her cue.

Kira and my dad briskly walked down the aisle. She didn’t need to do her part perfect tonight, she just wanted to get the rehearsal over with.

She stood at the alter next to Kennedy, and I got a glimpse of what tomorrow would bring. As the priest talked about what would happen the next morning, I looked down at my black heels.

I don’t think I’ve changed that much. I was the same. I cussed too much, I still didn’t have very many friends. I was the same, just a more grown up version.

“Have a good night and I’ll see you tomorrow morning,” the priest said, wrapping things up.

Kira stepped down from the alter. “Dinner is at Jenny’s, John’s parents restaurant.” Kira announced to everyone. “If you don’t know where it is, you can follow me or Kennedy.”

I stepped down and took a side exit outside. It was dark and the weather had cooled significantly. I leaned up against the side of the church and sighed. Kira was getting married tomorrow. It was just hard to believe. I watched as people filed out of the church and got into their cars, heading towards the restaurant.

“You want to ditch the dinner with me?”

I looked towards the door at John.

“I mean we already did the important part, right?” He smirked.

I pushed off of the building and faced him. “Kira would kill me.”

He smiled. “She’ll be so preoccupied with everyone else that she won’t even notice you’re gone.”

“I don’t know,” I laughed.

“Hey,” he nudged my arm with his. “Since when have you ever been too afraid to ditch something.”

I bit my lip and looked down at my feet. He was right, nobody would miss me at dinner. But things were weird between John and I. We weren’t really friends. How could I agree to just go hang out with him? I really didn’t feel like sitting through speeches and gifts though.

I looked back up at John. “Okay. Let’s go.”