Status: Work in Progress

Enemies of Comfort

Calm Down

“Brother!” Just like I knew he would be, Adrian stood in a defensive stance as I brought the other wolf and angel through the door.

“What are you thinking bringing those two into my house?”

“Brother, please calm down.”

“I told you this was a bad idea Savannah.”

The two creatures stood on the defense while Vipond and I stood back and watched.

“Should we stop them?” Caiden whispered in my ear, making my insides squirm.

Stop with this body, you’re being ridiculous.

“I’m not entirely sure we can, they’re too stubborn.”

“Says the wolf trying to end a war!” All of Adrian’s attention flew my way. “Vipond, step away from my sister.”

Caiden’s eyes widened slightly. “Why would I do that? We’re just talking.”

“You’re too close for my liking.”

Caiden smirked. “She doesn’t seem to mind.”

My heart momentarily ceased to beat as I saw the look in Adrian’s eyes.

“She is standing right here, and she wants everyone to stop fighting like a bunch of children.”

“Why did you bring these two to my house Savannah?” Adrian reiterated.

“How am I supposed to help change other people’s minds when I can’t even change your’s?”

“You know, she has a point.” Jareth stated, stepping my way.

Adrian growled, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Are you really not going to stop with this foolish idea?”

“It’s not foolish! It’s a war we have no point to continue, why shouldn’t we try to stop it?”

“I must agree with your brother. As ridiculous as this war is, how would we be able to stop it?”

They’re not going to help?

They’re giving up?

“Sic Parvis Magna. It means, greatness from small beginnings, this is our small beginning. Don’t give up just because it seems impossible. The humans think beings like us are impossible, yet here we stand.”

“Jareth is right, why sit back and do nothing when we can make a difference?”

I smiled, pleading with my eyes.

“Don’t do the puppy dog eyes Vannah.” Adrian tried to avoid eye contact. “Fine, I’ll join your little freak show.”

“Perfect!” My eyes shifted to Vipond, who was watching me closely. “Caiden?”

He let out a sigh. “You have a way of making me do things I would never even consider before.”

“Is that a yes?”

“With the possibility of ruining my packs reputation, I say yes.”

My world seemed to spin at full speed.

We’re going to end this war, this war started so many generations ago.

“What time is it?” Jareth seemed surprised and nervous. “Ah crap, I gotta go.”

“What? Where are you leaving when we just-”

“Savannah, I have a date. I’m going to be late.”

The smile in his eyes was so bright I swear they were glowing.

“A date. We just got ditched because he has a date.”

“Sometimes the woman you’re trying to impress is more important than the duties you’ve been given.”

My eyes bore holes into the front door as Caiden left.

“Oh come on!”

“What?” Quickly I averted my attention my brother’s way.

“You like him!”

“What!? That’s absurd!”

“You think I don’t know my own sister? How could you go from a loser to a psycho? I thought sisters were supposed to go after guys like their older brothers.”

“Adrian-”

“He’s a Vipond, you know how upset father will be when you start dating.”

“. . . When?”

My shock made Adrian smile. “Oh come now, you can’t tell he’s infatuated with you?”

“I-That’s, no. It’s not possible.”

“You deny it even after seeing that obvious display?”

My stomach was doing summersaults as I recalled Caiden’s gaze.

His serious tone, the intensity.

Excitement and dread welled through me.

He is a Vipond.

He is Caiden. Vipond.

He has made me dazed and confused since we met.

“He’s, he’s-”

“Savannah, you must calm down.”

“I, I can’t.” My arms wrapped around my stomach as butterflies tore it apart. “He’s a Vipond Adrian, he’s the alpha Vipond. I don’t like him, I can’t.”

Adrian took my shoulders in his hands.

“You never really had much of a choice. It seems the fates have plans for you.” Nervously I bit my lip, trying to hold back the smile that threatened to overtake my face. “Just remember Van, just because it is fated to be, doesn’t mean it will be easy.”