Status: Hope you enjoy! Feel free to give any advice/pointers/criticism to improve my writing

The Way You Look Tonight

Something's Waiting on the Other Side

"W-wait!" I stammered as he turned his back to me and started down the road. The cold wind stung my eyes. "I know what I did was wrong but-"

"But what?" He hissed. "What is it this time? You weren't thinking? You tried to not let it affect you? You couldn't stop it? It just happened?" He mocked me. "What? What is it? What's the excuse this time?" His words stung worse than the wind. I looked down in embarrassment and to hide my teary eyes.

"I-I just... I'm sorry... it's so hard-"

"Yeah I've heard that one before." He sneered.

"You don't understand! You think you understand but you don't! You don't know what it's like to be . . . " My voice trailed off and my alarm invaded my ears. I took a minute and closed my eyes to get out of my dream and let my rapid heartbeat settle. Dreams like that always brought back unwelcomed memories. I pondered the meaning of the dream for a minute before I was interrupted by a knock.

"Come in!" The door slowly opened revealing my Aunt Elizabeth.

"Hi, hon, just wanted to make sure you were up, I made you some hot chocolate." She smiled handing me an elephant mug.

"Thanks" I smiled and took a sip. It was so warm and comforting, it reminded me of home and the cold Chicago winters. " Are you coming with us to breakfast? "

"Of course" She exclaimed. "I wouldn't miss a chance to catch up with my favorite niece and your mom."

I laughed, "so I'm your favorite then?"

She touched her index finger to her lips and smiled, "I already talked to your mom she'll be here in an hour and a half." She walked out of the room and closed the door. I sat up in bed and took another sip of hot chocolate, it trickled down my throat warming my chest. I hopped in the shower and got ready for the day. I threw on a pair of dark skinny jeans, a light green sweater, a pair of high tops, and some gold jewelry. I walked downstairs and found Aunt Elizabeth and my mom in the living room talking.

"Hi mom!" I exclaimed jumping off the last few stairs from the bottom, I gave her a bear hug nearly knocking her over.

"Hey Kensie, how've you been?"

"I'm doing great mom, the plane rides were pretty smooth and my classes are going well. I can talk more about it over breakfast. Speaking of, I'm starving, where are we going?" I asked glancing back and forth from my mom to Aunt Elizabeth. Aunt Elizabeth looked at my mom and smiled.

"We were thinking of Wildberry cafe, how does that sound?"

"Amazing! I've always wanted to go!"

"Alright Wildberry it is." I grabbed my jacket and we piled into the car and headed towards downtown Chicago. The ride was peaceful and made me sentimental, I missed seeing all the familiar sights of Chicago. We parked in a parking garage and headed out onto the sidewalk. We walked a few blocks to the cafe it was right by Millennium Park. Breakfast was delicious I got the wildberry pancakes and sliced bananas. The food scene in Tulsa is good but nothing comes close to Chicago food.

"Okay I was thinking we could go to the practice now, its a 45 minute walk from here and then we can come back and spend some time at Millennium Park and then go home. How does that sounds ladies?" Aunt Elizabeth asked. My mom and I exchanged looks.

"Sounds great to me!"

"Alright, lets head out then." Aunt Elizabeth left a generous tip on the table and we headed on our adventure to Johnny's Ice House, where the Blackhawks practice. We talked about my past couple months at college, and once we walked inside I could hear one of my favorite sounds. Hockey. The skates gliding on the ice, the smack of the stick to the puck, and the voices of the Chicago Blackhawks. We headed into the stands and found a spot where we could see all the action of the practice. Uncle Joel saw us and waved, he didn't smile, he never smiles much on the job. He blew his whistle and the team and assistant coaches and trainers gathered around him, after a few minutes of him walking they went to the bench for a water break. Uncle Joel skated over to where we were sitting and looked up at us.

"Hey everyone, how's it going?"

"Great, we ate at Wildberry cafe this morning." My mom explained.

"Sounds great, I haven't been there yet. Hey, Kensie, how'd you like to be out here during practice?"

"Really?" I gasped.

"Yeah, go put on your skates."

"But I don't have my skates here." He looked at my mom.

"Well Kensie, your skates are in Uncle Joel's car." My mom said as Aunt Elizabeth handed me the spare keys to Uncle Joel's car.

"Well, go lace up your skates, I want to see you on the ice in four minutes." He said sternly.

"Yes sir!" I exclaimed, mocking the way he had given me orders.

He smiled and said, "four minutes," as he skated back to his fellow coaches and trainers.

I ran outside and to the parking garage for Johnny's Ice House. I was running up the levels clicking to lock button listening for a car horn. I got to the ground level and no luck I started running up to the next level and clicked to button again and I heard a horn that echoed throughout the whole parking garage. I ran up to what was called level two and clicked it again and parked in the corner was Uncle Joel's. I sprinted over to the car and opened the passenger door and sure enough my black hockey skates were there waiting for me. I grabbed my skates and headed back to the rink and ripped off my shoes and laced up my skates. Uncle Joel gave me these as a Christmas gift a few years ago. He said he'd teach me some hockey but first I need to learn how to skate, I've gotten better but I'm not good yet. Hopefully I won't fall and make a fool of myself in front of the whole team. My future husband could be on that team ya know. I laughed at my own thoughts and walked over to the door of the rink.

Uncle Joel waved me onto the ice after he was done explaining the next drill to the team. I opened the door and took a deep breath. Okay Kensie, don't fall, don't almost fall just skate slowly over to Uncle Joel and pretend that you're not on the ice with a bunch of Hawks players.. I took a step onto the ice, and then my other foot. I took one stride, then two and before I knew it I was next to Uncle Joel. "I see you have improved your skating skills a bit."

"Yeah, I really want to learn how to play hockey, even if it's just for fun."

"I understand. Alright we're gonna stay here, even if I move you stay here unless I tell you otherwise, I don't need you getting hurt." Uncle Joel explained. I nodded in agreement. The forwards were doing a shooting drill in front of me, they were whizzing down to the goal and working in pairs to try and get a goal on Crawford. I couldn't believe it, I was not only at a Chicago Blackhawks practice but I was on the ice with them. I continued watching, Shaw waved at me and Panarin gave me a big dopey smile that made us both laugh. Now Teravainen is skating towards me.

"You're Coach Q's neice?"

"Mhmm" I said with a nod.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Teuvo." He smiled

"Teravainen! Less talk, more hockey. Do you want to get points tonight?" Uncle Joel barked.

"Coming!" He shouted to Coach Q, and looked back at me. "Well, sounds like I better get back out there, it was nice meeting you..." He paused.

"Kensie" I said with a smile.

"Cool name, catch ya later." He said as he skated off. Uncle Joel waved me over. I skated over slowly, making sure I was as far away from the line of fire as possible.

"I don't know what you two were talking about but there is absolutely no dating the players." I laughed. He was ridiculous sometimes but I know he's stern like a father to me because he's the closest thing to a dad I have.

"Uncle Joel, he was just saying hi, that's all, being friendly... Plus I'm away in Tulsa for the majority of the next four years and I wouldn't have a chance to get to know any of them"

"Good. Glad you see it the way I do. Anyway we're gonna wrap up practice soon, I'll see you at the house later today.

"Okay bye." I hugged him and skated off the ice.

"Oh and Kensie!" He shouted.

"Yeah?" I shouted back ensuring he could hear me.

"The best is yet to come!"