We Can Only Pretend for So Long

Truth or Dare

“Kyle, are you ready yet?”
“Yeah, hold on.”
I gave myself a once over in the full length mirror.
Layered black skirt flowing to the mid of my calves, bright green tank top, wavy brown hair cascading slightly past my shoulders, my fringe covering my right eye as always, and my cross laying loosely on my neck.
“Kyle come on.”
“I’m coming.”
Did I forget to mention I’m a girl?
Yeah, that’s pretty important.
So if I’m a girl, why is my best friend calling me Kyle? That would be my mother’s fault. She gave me that name before she left, mumbling something about wanting another boy, not a useless girl.
I don’t know, she’s gone now. Probably in Hawaii with her new perfect family.
“Kyle, if you don’t get out here in two seconds I’m leaving you.”
Flinging my door open I stepped into the hallway.
“Chill, I’m here.”
“Yeah yeah.”
I scanned her wardrobe quickly. Her blonde hair pulled into a high ponytail, t-shirt with a mighty low cut, showing off her twins, and a short skirt.
“Look at you hooch, who are you trying to snag?” I pretended to think then gasped. “Would you be trying to seduce my innocent older brother?”
“Shut up Kyle.” She giggled.
“Bri, I swear, you don’t need to dress like that to get my brother. Ry!” I yelled, pounding on his door.
“What Ky?” He snapped opening his door, shirtless of course.
“One, put on a shirt, you’re making my friend swoon,” I stated covering her eyes. “Two, are you going to the party with us or not?”
“Yeah, hold on.” Did I just see my brother blush, because of Bri? Yes!
Older brother, Ryan, description, tall (6’-2”), brown shaggy hair, green eyes, my look alike, built from years of football, and one year older (18). Both of us seniors.
He was supposed to graduate last year, but he got held back. Not because he’s stupid, far from it. He’s an effin’ genius, but he got in a fight last year, and our school being strict as hell, kicked him out and made him retake the year.
“Let’s go.”
“No, wait, I can’t take this anymore, Bri, come with me.”
“What? Why?”
“Brianna, come on.” I snapped.
She quickly followed me to my room.
“Put this on.”
Bri caught the clothes before they whacked her in the face. “Why?”
“Trust me, that outfit is way more sexy then what you’re wearing, actually what you’re wearing is just trashy.”
“Fine.” She huffed.
I turned so she could change. “Okay, we can go.” I said as we stepped into the hallway.
Ryan gawked at Bri as she followed.
Letting out a sigh I pulled both of them along to his car.
“Drive lover boy.”
He shot me a glare before driving us to Shaughn’s.
“I told you you’d be way hotter in that.” I whispered as we walked through the front door without knocking.
We descended the stairs to the basement.
“Kyle!” I squealed as a pair of strong arms enveloped me in a hug, twirling me. “I’ve missed you so much.”
That voice is so familiar.
Finally I was set down. “Nick!?” I yelled before throwing myself at him, attacking him with another hug.
The muscular red head chuckled. “It’s been a long time.”
“Too long.” I smiled. “How have you been?”
“I’ve been good. You still in a war with Jacob?”
I didn’t get a chance to answer.
Why? Because the devil himself showed, lifting my skirt over my head.
Quickly I pulled it back down, thankful that I wore shorts underneath. “Jacob! I am going to kill you!” I screeched, walking towards the monstrosity.
“Pelter, leave my sister alone.”
“Aw, but it’s just so fun.”
“You know what else will be fun? Me kicking your ass.”
Did I mention that Jacob is the one Ry fought last year?
Well, he was.
He didn’t get held back though, supposedly he wasn’t the cause of the fight. Psh, whatever.
I plopped down on one of the bean bag chairs and everybody followed.
“Why are we sitting in a circle? And why is there a bottle?”
“Oo, are we playing spin the bottle?”
“You would be excited about that Monny.”
“Shut up Josh.”
“Okay, no we’re not playing spin the bottle, we’re playing truth or dare, just a little different than normal.” Shaughn called, glancing at all of us.
Our group wasn’t that big, so it didn’t take him that long.
Without further explanation Shaughn spun the bottle.
We waited patiently as it spun, finally landing on Bri.
“Truth or dare?” Shaughn asked with his smooth deep voice.
“Truth.”
“Do you like Ry?” I asked.
See, in our version, anyone can ask the questions or give the dare.
“Yes.” She whispered, blushing deeply.
I leaned forward and spun the bottle, excited to see it land on Ryan. “Truth or dare big bro?”
“Truth.”
“You’re no fun.”
“Would you ever go out with Bri?” A familiar voice asked from my right.
“Nice.” I whispered to Nick.
My heart did a little dance as he smiled.
“Um-uh-u-”
“Answer the question.” I said impatiently.
“Yeah.”
Bri’s face shined once she heard this.
The game went on forever, and I couldn’t find a comfortable position, that is, until something sturdy met my back.
“Oh come on, this is like the fourth time it’s landed on me.” I was quite startled to hear the voice so close.
Twisting my head slightly I finally realized what the sturdy structure behind me was, Nick.
“Just truth or dare?”
“Fine, dare.”
“I dare you to kiss,” please say me, please say me. “Monny.”
Jerk!
“No, I’m not kissing anybody.”
“Then suffer the consequences.”
Oh the consequences. Whenever you chicken out of a dare, there’s always a consequence.
“And what will that be?”
“To strip down buck naked and run down the street.”
“Fine, I’ll do it.”
He’s getting naked!? Cover your virgin eyes!
“Monny, close your eyes.” Oh.
Jealousy rippled through my stomach as he moved closer.
I mean, I’ve liked this guy since second grade, and she’s known him what, five minutes?
He leaned in closer until he finally kissed her, on the cheek.
Suddenly my back rest returned.
“Hey, that doesn’t count.” Josh whined.
“You said give her a kiss, you never specified where.”
I smirked to myself, until the bottle spun and landed on me.
“Truth or dare Kyle?” Shaughn asked, his eyes momentarily flashed to Nick.
“Dare.”
“I dare you to,” Yes! “go in the closet,” Yes! “with Jacob.” Ye-what!?
“What!?”
“For seven minutes.” Josh added.
“No.” Jacob stated.
“And you have to kiss at least once.”
“No.” Me this time.
“When we open the door, we have to be able to see it.”
“No.”
“What are the consequences?”
“Hm.” Shaughn tapped his chin. “If you don’t kiss Jacob or vice versa, you two have to live together, for a month.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a story I wrote back in high school and have previously posted on here using a different username (FeelLikeRain). It may not be the best story, but it will always hold a very special place in my heart.