We Can Only Pretend for So Long

Does he Have Fins?

*Ryan’s POV (probably only time)*
Shit! I forgot to give her, her medicine.
Why can’t she be normal?
I doubt Jacob showed so I can’t call him.
A quick U-turn, shove some medicine down her throat, and I’ll be back…..hopefully.
‘Tonight, we lie awake, remember how the coffee made us shake on those long drives, for one more, long night.’
All Time Low silenced once I shut off the car.
Run, that’s all I have to do.
Don’t be sleeping yet, please don’t be sleeping yet.
“Ky-” My voice caught in my throat at the sight before me.
Kyle hugged Jacob closely, fast asleep, while Jacob had his arms encircled around her waist, his head resting on top of her own, a light snore filling the air.
Maybe they do like each other.
*Kyle*
Oh god, I’m gonna sneeze.
“Achoo!” A deep intake of air sent my eyes flying open. “Oh Jacob, I’m sorry.”
“Why?” His husky voice asked in confusion.
“I just sneezed on you.”
Had this been any other moment, I’d be on the floor laughing.
“It’s fine.”
He sounds really tired.
“Maybe you should go back to sleep.”
“You should too.” He’s not even awake.
Jacob readjusted himself into a laying position onto his side, pulling me into his chest, hugging me tightly.
“Jacob.”
He brought his right hand up, brushing back my curtains.
My heart sped as he placed his forehead to mine.
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod! What’s he doing!?
His breath cascaded over my lips as our eyes connected.
Kiss him!
Wait, no!
“You’ve still got a fever.” He stated as he pulled away.
Apparently that kiss isn’t going to happen.
“Go back to sleep.”
How am I supposed to sleep now? “Can you um, move over there please?”
Shrugging he loosened his grip and moved to the other side.
Ugh! This is going to take me forever to get back to sleep.
Flipping to my right side I turned my back to Jacob.
There, that’s better.
“Come on Kyle, you can’t sleep forever.”
“Yes I can, I’m sick.”
“But we have things to do.” His voice sounded in my ear.
With an annoyed grunt I opened my eyes and stood.
“Like what?”
“Like swim.”
The sturdy floor beneath our feet disappeared and we were left to fall, right into some water.
“Jacob!” Water began to fill my esophagus, and all he did was watch.
Frantically I looked around for land.
My heart clenched in my chest when I found nothing but water surrounding us.
Slowly I sank further down until I hit bottom.
If my life weren’t in so much danger, I probably would have noticed how beautiful my surroundings were.
Jacob swam down towards me, how I always figured a merman would swim.
Wait.
Has Jacob been shirtless this whole time? And does he have, fins?
“Jeez, I’ve never met a mermaid that couldn’t swim.”
Mermaid? I better not be shirtless.
“I can too swim.”
“Doesn’t look like it.”
Kicking my feet, er, tail, I pushed myself forward.
Much to my amazement I began to swim, a huge smile on my face.
“See, I told you I could swim.” I stopped in front of Jacob, who also smiled.
A funny sensation spread through my stomach, making me look down shyly.
Jacob lifted my chin with his finger and my breath caught in my throat, something that seemed to be happening a lot lately.
He quickly brought his lips down on mine sending sparks through my whole being.
His full lips were firm, but soft, and gentle.
I nearly whimpered in protest when he pulled away.
“I’ve been waiting far too long to do that.”
He smiled, a smile I’ve never seen before. One that completely lit up his face and eyes.
Any girl would have fallen instantly.
In some surge of hormonal courage I grabbed his face and pulled him towards me, crashing our lips together.
He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me even closer.
Things were getting a little too hot and steamy before my eyes popped open.
What the hell?
What kind of dream was that?
Squirm.
Well, now I know why I dreamt he grabbed my waist.
Jacob’s arms were tightly encircled around me, and his face was buried in my hair, his chest resting against my back.
“Jacob.”
Turning my head to the side probably wasn’t the best idea, because when Jacob lifted his head, his lips brushed gently against mine.
We both jerked back as if electricity was shot through our bodies, and truth be told, it did.
His eyes bore into mine, holding so much intensity.
Hesitantly he reached over and touched my cheek before moving his hand to the back of my neck, pulling our faces together.
Though the kiss was forceful, it was filled with so much emotion.
Letting my eyes flutter open I realized something, I just had another dream.
God, you can tell I’m sick, I’m having dreams about kissing Jacob.
Just like in the dream, Jacob was holding me.
“Jacob.” This time I didn’t turn my head.
“Hm?”
“We need to get up.”
“Why?” He moaned, burying his face deeper into my hair.
“I’m hungry.” I lied, hoping it would get him to move.
“Fine.”
Grumbling he sat up, and I was finally free.
A shiver ran down my spine at the loss of heat.
“What do you want? I’ll go make it for you.”
“No, I’ll come with.”
“You should rest.”
“I think I’ve rested enough. I’m even feeling better.” I smiled as if to prove my point.
“Whatever, come on.”
Walking to the other room I noticed something sitting on my dresser.
Ky,
Your medicine is sitting on the kitchen counter, don’t forget to take it with some food.
Ryan

“Apparently my medicine is sitting on the kitchen counter.”
“Medicine?”
“Yes, medicine, the stuff you take when you have something wrong with you.”
“What’s it for.”
“My fever, I have to take special medicine when I’m sick.”
“Why?”
The look of utter confusion on his face made me smile. “In case you haven’t noticed, I don’t get hot when I’m sick, I get cold, extremely cold. My doctor told me why that happens, but I don’t remember what she said.”
“Isn’t that called a cold?”
“No jerkwad, I think I’d know if I had a mere cold.”
“Whatever you say.”
“Oh shut up and just make me my food.”
“I think you should be a lot nicer to the person who’s making your food, and skipped school for you.”
“You didn’t skip school for me, you skipped school because you fought with your dad last night and didn’t get enough sleep.”
Yep, probably shouldn’t have said that.
“How do you know I fought with my dad?” He tried to act nonchalant about the whole situation, but I could see through that.
“Because I know that’s the only time you don’t get any sleep.”
Silence, pure silence, except for the cutting of vegetables. “How do you know that.”
“Um, I just know?”
“Kyle.”
Taking in a deep breath I tried to remember everything that happened that night. “When we were ten you ran away from home. I remember looking out of my window one night to see you bolting past, the moon making your tear streaked face sparkle, I thought it was a beautiful sight, until I truly realized why your face was sparkling.
Even though you were my enemy, I wanted to know what was bothering you so bad, and what you were running from, so I climbed out of my second story window, nearly breaking every bone in my frickin body when I fell. But, even the pain couldn’t stop me from chasing after you.
I remember calling your name a few times, but you were too absorbed in whatever had happened to hear me, so I had to tackle you.”
“You did not tackle me.”
“If you know how I know this then why are you asking?”
“Just to make sure you’ve got the whole story right. Continue.”
“Okay, so I didn’t tackle you, I threw a rock at you because you were too far off, either way, I got your attention.
Finally, you turned around, furious, yet still extremely sad.
I couldn’t stand seeing you like that, unless the pain was caused by me, so I hugged you.” Are his cheeks pink? “And then you whined like a little girl about what happened, and how you could never sleep after you got into a fight with your dad.”
“I was not whining, I was…uh, explaining my manly problems.”
“Yeah right, you were whining.”
“Well I was ten, what do you expect?” I mustered up a smile that made him roll his eyes. “How do you even remember that?”
“Good memory?”
“I thought you hated memories with me in them?”
“Oh I do, but that one was just too priceless to forget. Seeing the tears run down your face as you bawled your eyes out.”
“Like I haven’t seen you do that millions of times. In fact, I think I saw you cry about-”
“Shut up Jacob, and just make my food.”
Awkward silence.
“I’m sorry, that was a cheap shot.”
“Don’t worry about it, just cook.”
Once again silence filled the air.
“Here.”
“What’s this?”
“Food.”
Smart ass.
“Really? I never would have guessed.”
“Shut up and eat.”
Slowly I took a bite, allowing the wonderful flavors to sit in my mouth.
“Aren’t you supposed to be nice to your sick girlfriend?”
Shockingly he leaned his face in close, grabbing my chin with his left hand. “Maybe I’d be nicer to you if you were my actual girlfriend.”
Jacob patted my cheek before moving.
Did he? Did he just ask me out? No, god no.
What’s wrong with me?
He was just stating a fact, no need to freak out.
Wait, I’m freaking out, why?
I’m sick, that’s why, I’m freaking out because I’m sick.
And I’m also gonna hurl because I’m sick, oh god.
“Kyle?”
“Move.”
Pushing past Jacob, I barely made it to the sink before I blew chunks.
In the midst of chunk blowing I was vaguely aware of someone pulling my hair back.
Fingers lightly rubbed my back, in almost a scratching way.
A warm washcloth was pressed against my forehead and the back rub stopped.
Instinctively my body turned towards the heat.
“Are you okay?”
“Mm-hm.”
Gently Jacob wiped off the sweat, and left over spit, from my face, looking intently into my eyes.
The dreams from before rushed into my delusional mind.
This is a moment.
Oh my god, Jacob and I are having a moment.
What do I do? Do I just stand here? Do I lean in?
Why would I want to lean in?
Because I want to kiss him.
“Your breath stinks.”
Not anymore.
“Thanks, want a better whiff?” Opening my mouth wide I blew in his face.
“Gross, get away.” Extremely overdramatically, Jacob plugged his nose.
My pleasure.
Running up the stairs, I found the bathroom to brush my teeth.
Almost completely zoned out I brushed my nasty, puke infested teeth, listening closely as Jacob came up the stairs.
I heard him come to a halt outside of the door.
I wonder if my breath still stinks.
“Hey Jacob!” I yelled loudly in his ear, pretending I didn’t know he was there.
“What”
“Does my breath still stink?”
Standing on my tiptoes I breathed in his face yet again.
“Nope, minty fresh.”
“Good.”
“Perfect breath to kiss with.”
What!? “Yeah, right. In your dreams.”
Or mine.
“I’m telling you,” He put his arms on both sides of my head, keeping me against the wall. “nobody will believe we’re truly a couple unless we kiss in front of them, and I think we should practice.”
I think we should too….. “Jacob, no matter how sick I am, I can still kick you in the nads, back away.”
“Can your little legs even reach that far?” He joked, laughing slightly, which leaned his face in closer, his eyes closed.
My cheeks burned bright red as I realized how close our faces really were. I would only have to lean my face up slightly, and we’d be kissing.
Leaning in closer I startled both him, and myself. “I’m not even sure if you have any nads for me to kick anyways.” I whispered in his ear.
Did I really just say that?
Crap, I am so dead.
“You are so dead Kylie.”
Letting out a squeak I ducked under his arm and ran down the stairs.
His strong, muscular arms were wrapped around my waist within seconds, once we were in the living room. “Jacob! This isn’t fair! I’m sick!”
“I’d be able to beat you either way.” He paused for a second, just holding me in the air.
“Uh, Jacob, put me down please.”
“Now would be the perfect time for you to show me your tattoo.” Setting my feet on the floor was probably the wrong choice by him.
Running out of his reach, I made it to the other side of the couch. “Not even.”
“What? How long do I have to wait before you show me?”
“I’m never showing you my tattoo.”
“Why not?”
“Because you have a big mouth.” Once again my cheeks flamed, only because I knew exactly what the tattoo was. “And you might tell someone.”
“You act as though no one knows about it.” Raising one eyebrow I looked at him like he was stupid. “No one knows about it?”
Something seemed to finally make sense to him. “What?”
“Is that why you always swim with a shirt on?”
“Pretty much.”
“What do you mean ‘pretty much’?”
“I mean pretty much, it’s the biggest reason why I wear a shirt when I swim.”
“What’s another reason?”
I thought for a moment, a smirk playing on the corners of my lips. “Because if I didn’t, I’d have guys like you staring at me, and then attacking.”
“Guys like me?”
The look of complete shock sent me into a fit of giggles, which didn’t allow me to see him walk around the couch towards me. “Yes, guys like you.”
“What have I ever done to make you think that?” Once again he pinned me to the wall, an arm on either side of my head.
A bolt of electricity ran up my spine and butterflies soared through my stomach.
“W-when.” Dang it.
“What’s the matter Kylie? Am I making you nervous?” He whispered in my ear, his lips brushing lightly against my skin.
My whole body went into a fit of chills.
His right hand gently cupped my face, making me look up into his amazing eyes.
Jacob leaned in slightly closer.
“Jacob, don’t.” Why do I have to sound so weak and breathless?
His face unbearably close he spoke, his eyes roaming to my lips. “Why?”
Is he serious? He sounds serious.
“B-because.”
“Because isn’t a good enough answer Kyle.” His eyes moved back to my own and I froze, lost in his hypnotic gaze. “You don’t have a reason for me to stop do you?” He sounded almost pleased at the thought.
“Because I’m sick, and because, because it’s you.”
I moved back farther, trying to get as far away from him as possible.
Still he moved in closer. “You’re lying.”
“Why do you think that?” My head could move no more, stuck against the wall as he just seemed to be getting closer and closer.
His eyes flashed to my lips yet again.
“Why do you say that?” My eyes snapped down quickly, where I could see the smirk on his lips.
“The corner of your lip twitches slightly whenever you lie.”
What? Is that true?........It’s a possibility……
“I’m not lying.” My voice came out as a hushed whisper.
“I think you are.” He said in the same voice, leaning in even closer.
Unknowingly I slowly leaned forward, our lips a mere centimeter apart.
Oh my god, he’s gonna kiss me!
Don’t freak out, be calm.
His breath cascaded over my face.
“Kyle!”
“Shit.” Quickly we pulled apart, and of course, I hit my head on the wall. “What?”
“Are you in the living room?”
“Obviously.” I growled, holding the back of my head.
“Are you alright?” Jacob asked, the sincerity clear in his voice.
“I’m fine, don’t worry about it.”
A muffled chuckle came from in front of me. “I told you, you were lying.” He whispered in my ear, kissing my cheek lightly before pulling away.
My face burned at the contact.
“Kyle, what’s wrong? Are you gonna be sick?”
“Um, no, I’m fine, the medicine helped a lot. I’m gonna go lay down for a little bit.” Trying to hide my face I walked to my room.
“Thanks J, you can go now.”
There was slight hesitation before he answered.
“Right, I’ll stop by later.”
“Nah, it’s good man, you’ll see her tomorrow.”
“Fine.” Hostile much?
I don’t know why he’s so angry anyways, unless he’s acting.
Yeah, that’s it, wow, he’s good.
A slight pang hit my chest as I thought about it.
I thought he actually liked me for a minute there, how dumb.
My enemy liking me, that’s the silliest thing I could have thought.