We Can Only Pretend for So Long

Thanksgiving?

(Next day)
“Ryan, how are you able to tell when I lie?” I asked nonchalantly as I made my cereal.
“I don’t know, why?”
“I was told that the corner of my lip twitches when I lie.”
“Who-how does one even figure that out?” I shrugged. “I’d be scared if I were you, you’ve got some stalker.”
“Why are they a stalker?” I said, suddenly defensive.
“They stare at your face all day in order to find out when you’re lying.”
“Well….whatever.”
That actually makes sense.
“So, Kyle, what did you and J do yesterday?”
Smooth Ry, smooth. “Stayed in bed.”
Oh god, he took that wrong. “What do you mean stayed in bed?”
“We slept Ryan, that’s it, I swear.”
He stared at my face for a moment, not trying to hide the fact that he was waiting for that twitch.
Apparently there was none.
“Right, good, let’s uh, let’s get to school.”
Aw, my brother is embarrassed, how cute.
Let’s see how far I can take this.
“Have you gotten together with Bri yet?”
“What? No, why would I get with Bri?”
“Because you’re in love with her.” I smirked at the sudden change in his cheeks.
“I am not.”
“You are too.”
“Am not.”
“Are too, stop trying to deny it, I can tell you’re lying.”
“You’re in love with Jacob.”
“I am not!” I snapped, my voice and octave higher.
“There’s the lip twitch. Kyle,” His face suddenly hardened. “that lip twitch better be because you’re telling the truth..”
“It is.” I said a little too quickly.
Though I knew he didn’t believe it, he nodded, pretending to be content with my answer.
God.
My lip did not twitch, and I am definitely not in love with Jacob.
“Your lips having a spaz attack over there, are you okay?”
“Just shut up and drive.”
Okay, so maybe my lip does twitch, but that doesn’t mean I love Jacob.
Oh my god! I can feel it twitching!
Okay okay! I love Jacob! Happy!?
……Apparently so.
Ugh, what am I gonna do?
“There’s your boyfriend.” Ryan said through his teeth.
“He’s-“ not my boyfriend, can’t say that. “so sweet.” I finished lamely, hoping Ryan didn’t hear my hesitation.
“Yeah.”
“Listen grumpass, get over it. I have a boyfriend, and it just so happens to be Jacob, so what? Shouldn’t you be happy that I’m happy?”
“Be happy that my sister’s going out with an idiot like that? I think not.”
“I’d be happy if you went out with Bri.”
“Because Bri’s your best friend, she never fought you, she never treated your sibling like crap, she never ruined your sibling’s life.”
“He never ruined my life,” I watched as Jacob jumped down from the hood of his car. “If anything, he made it better. He accepted me for who I was, who I am. Sure it was in his own special way, but I got over it, and so should you.” I remarked before jumping into the cold air.
“You okay?”
Jacob, why do you have to do this? To me?
“Yeah.”
I tried smiling as Jacob handed me his jacket, but I just couldn’t muster one up. “I’m fine thanks.”
Letting out a sigh he grabbed my hand, sending tingles up my arm. “No you’re not, let’s go.”
“Let’s go? Where?”
“Just come on.”
Willingly I followed Jacob, loving the warmth that radiated from his body and went straight to my core.
Jesus, I sound like a lo-like sick puppy.
“Take this.”
“I don’t need it.”
“Yes you do, you’re shivering.”
“I am not.” Ah! Shiver. “Okay, maybe I am, but I don’t need your sweater.”
“Fine.” He growled, pulling his sweater back on, without zipping it.
“Where are we going?” I asked, looking around in awe.
Why have I never seen this place before?
My eyes roamed the landscape slowly.
Beautiful, lush, green grass covered the ground, green ivy climbed up the brick building and slightly covered a cement fountain.
“Here.”
I couldn’t bring myself to look away. “How did you find this place?”
“Kyle.”
“What?”
With a touch as light as butterflies wings Jacob grabbed my chin in his pointer finger and thumb, making me look at him.
A wave of excitement rushed through me as his gentle pull brought me closer.
“What’s wrong?”
“Nothing.”
“Kyle, what’s, wrong?”
I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to collect myself.
“It’s just, Ryan, he’s way over protective, I know that’s nothing to whine about, but I can’t help it.”
“Don’t you think he has a reason to be?”
I shivered uncontrollably as the wind blew and as his hand left my face.
“No. Not like that anyway. He looks like he wants to kill you.”
“I’m your ‘enemy’ Ky.”
“You might be my enemy, but we still have some friendship.”
“He’s just worried, he’s just trying to take over where your dad left off.”
My eyes watered slightly at the mention of my father. “But he doesn’t have to.”
“I know.”
Hesitantly Jacob wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a hug.
I buried my face in his warm chest, feeling him tense at my actions.
My time to tense, however, came when I heard a very loud, zip.
“Really Jacob?”
“Yes, really.” I could hear the smirk in his voice.
“We can’t walk into school like this.”
“Who says? Maybe it will further people’s suspicions of us being together.”
“It’s not suspicions, we are together.” That really got him to tense.
My head still lying on his chest, I could hear his heart hammering away.
It was then, that I noticed my mistake. “Oh shit that’s not what I meant,” Instantly I snapped my head up. “I meant they think we’re together, they’re not suspicious.”
I could feel my skin nearly melting off of my face, and Jacob’s eyes weren’t helping at all. “Jacob, can you unzip this jacket please? This is really uncomfortable.”
Turning quickly in his arms I reached for the zipper that kept us together.
His arms tightened around my waist and I stiffened.
“Don’t try to run Kyle, please.”
“C-can you let me out please Jacob?”
The jacket wrapped around us seemed to get tighter, and I began to panic.
“Will you just stay and listen please?”
I began to hyperventilate at the thought.
He can’t say anything about liking me, though I just said we have some friendship, he’s still my enemy, and it’s against the rules for enemies to like each other. “Let me go.”
“Kyle.” The sternness in his voice made me freeze. “Stop it. I’m not going to do anything.”
I didn’t know what to do, the situation seemed as if he was going to confess his love, which excited me, and scared me to death.
So I did the only thing I knew how to do, I panicked.
“Yeah right Pelter, like I’ll believe that.”
“Kylie-“
“How many times do I have to tell you Pelter, that’s not my name, now let me go or I’m gonna kick you in the nads.”
If the thought of love confession even crossed his mind, it was gone now….hopefully.
“Fine, have fun freezing your ass off Wilson.” The coldness in his voice sent a chill down my spine.
“Don’t think about my ass, it freaks me out.”
Why am I doing this?
Because it’s Jacob, and he’s an asshole, and I don’t like him right?
…..Right.
I don’t know how any girl could like him.
He’s a d-bag, I mean, so what if he’s amazingly gorgeous, extremely smart, godly athletic, has a wonderful personality…
Okay, I’m gonna stop now.
“Kyle? What are you doing out here?”
“What? Does everybody know about this place except for me?”
“Huh?” Bri cocked an eyebrow curiously. “Oh, no, Jacob showed me, only way I would’ve found it.”
“What do you mean Jacob showed you?”
Wow, I really sound like a jealous girlfriend, I’m good.
“God, I keep forgetting you guys are together.” She smacked her forehead lightly. “He brought me out here ‘cause it’s secluded, and he wanted to make sure no one heard our conversation, about you.” How do you forget we’re together? Wait, what?
“About me? What the hell Bri. Why are you guys talking about me?”
“I can’t say, he has to tell you himself.”
I watched as she bit her lip and lightly blushed. Oh god, why does that make my stomach clench in fear? “What Bri?”
“Um, do you, uh, do you think RywouldliketocomeovertomyhouseforThanksgiving?”
A wave of relief rushed through me as I figured out her words. “Huh?” I tried to keep the smirk from my face.
“Do you think Ry would like to come over to my house for Thanksgiving?”
“You should ask him, not me. Speaking of me, am I not invited?”
Bri opened her mouth to explain, right as the bell rang. How convenient. “Gotta go, bye!”
Why is it that she always runs from these situations?
Storming through the school I finally found who I was trying to avoid, excuse me, find.
“Are you happy?”
I’m ending this now.
“Excuse me?”
“Are you happy?”
Jacob looked at me as if I were nuts. “What are you talking about Kyle?”
“Are you happy with this?” I pointed between myself and him.
A glint of acknowledgement flashed in his eyes. “Yes, I am extremely, happy with this.”
Damn it. “Well, I don’t know if I am anymore.”
Score. “Kyle, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. If it’s about Thanksgiving I told my dad that if you couldn’t go I wouldn’t either.”
An echo of Aw’s raged through the hallway.
Thanksgiving? What the fluck is he talking about?
“Ky! You have to go! You can’t break up with him!”
It was like a horde of teenage girls watching a crappy drama.
“I can go to your house for Thanksgiving?” The pure astonishment/excitement filled my voice, and I’m sure covered my face as well.
“It’s a big possibility, and if my dad says no, we can have our own Thanksgiving, just the two of us.”
My heart thudded lightly and my cheeks turned a light pink. “Really?” I cast my eyes downward, you know, for further effect.
“Yes, really.” Jacob’s forefinger and thumb once again lightly lifted my chin, a small smile on his lips.
“Kiss her! Kiss her!” I nearly had a heart attack when half of the hallway started screaming.
Jacob’s eyes roamed over the crowd before landing back on mine.
I couldn’t keep the shy smile from taking over my face.
Jacob, I hate how you’re making me feel.
Grabbing his hand I dragged him to an empty room, grunts of displeasure coming from the hall.
Oh get over it, how do you think I feel?
“Am I really going to your house for Thanksgiving?”
“Yeah, dad’s real excited.” He scoffed.
“Well if it’s a problem I won’t go.”
“No, he’s actually excited, be sure to wear baggy clothes.”
“Oh god, I am not going.”
“You have to, my gramma was absolutely thrilled to hear you were coming.”
“Gramma?” I perked instantly. “You mean Gramma Pelter?”
“That’s the one.” The smile on his face made my heart skip a beat.
“Well okay, I guess I’ll go, now that you twisted my arm.”
“Speaking of,” God, we’re a lot alike. “The appendage attached to my arm, called my hand, is still being held by your own.”
“Oh! Sorry.” Dropping his hand, I blushed like mad.
I came here to yell at him for not breaking up with me, now I’m blushing like an idiot and agreeing to go to Thanksgiving with him.
What the hell.
“So,” I snapped my eyes up and took a step back because of how close Jacob was, but he only moved closer, putting his right hand on the wall next to my face. “did you bring me in here to talk to me, or to kiss me?”
He wiggled his eyebrows and I couldn’t stop from laughing, surprisingly, Jacob joined in.
“You know Ky, your mood swings are really unpredictable.”
I lifted my head from my laughing position to see Jacob’s face ever so close to mine, our noses almost touching.
My eyes immediately locked with his own.
“Jacob.”
“What?”
“I think you should kiss me.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, you know, to make it more believable.”
“Right, more believable.”
“And because,” We moved in closer. “I want you to.”
My eyes closed automatically as I awaited that, most likely, life changing moment.
“Aw! You guys are so cute!”
Son of a bitch!
Jacob leaned his forehead on mine, letting out a sigh.
Butterflies soared through my stomach as I realized, he wanted to kiss me as badly as I wanted to kiss him.
“What do you want Monny?”
“One of the girls told me you guys were in here, and I need to talk to Kyle.” She looked at our position. “Or I can come back.”
“No, it’s fine.”
I could almost hear a growl build up in Jacob’s chest as he pushed himself off of the wall.
“Are you sure it’s ‘fine’?”
“Yes, I’m sure, now let’s go.”
Just before I made it to the door Jacob grabbed my wrist, pulling me back gently.
He placed his hand lightly on my cheek, holding my eyes with his own.
His eyes held some emotion I couldn’t read, his face the most serious I had ever seen.
Thumb gently caressing my skin he leaned in slowly, sending butterflies to soar in my abdomen.
Once again my eyes closed robotically, feeling his face closing in.
I could feel his lips about to touch mine, air barely able to squeeze through the space between us, my heart nearly hammering out of my chest.
His soft, gentle lips-“Kyle! Oh! Sorry, sorry.” Didn’t find my own.
Oh my god, I need to get out of here.
Jumping back quickly I followed after Monny, my face the brightest shade of red ever imaginable.
“Aw, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about.”
“Exactly, because nothing happened, thanks to you.” I mumbled the last part, a glare never leaving my face.
“It’s not my fault he’s slow.”
I held back the urge to growl, and to punch her right in the face. “Whatever, what did you want?”
She looked at me for a moment confused. “Oh! Right, er, wait, I don’t remember. Oh well, I’ll talk to you later.”
I gawked at her skipping form as it made its way down the hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
If there are spelling errors I am sorry, I don't have the time to go through and double check.