We Can Only Pretend for So Long

Just my Heart

“So, I’ve been searching stuff on Google.”
“Oh? Like what?” I tried to make my voice sound as nice as possible, we were in public after all.
And even though I wanted to break off his stupid arm that was now draped around my shoulders, I somehow refrained from doing so. I think people might seriously get suspicious if I did that.
“Well you know, for personal reasons.”
“You’re not gonna find out what it says Jacob.”
“I think I will thank you very much.”
“Not unless you can completely remember what every last detail of my, drawing, looks like.”
People cannot find out that I have a tattoo, they’d want to see it.
“Why wouldn’t I be able to? All I have to do is think about your bare stomach…” He sighed ‘dreamily’ as his eyes glazed over.
“Stop it, perv.”
“Hey, no elbowing, that hurts.”
“I wouldn’t elbow you if you’d stop being stupid and picturing my stomach.”
“Well-”
“Hey guys, what’s up?”
Nick, you saved me.
Eh, that sounded like a really, girly, googly eyed, in love with you, wishing I were a princess and you were my night in shining armor, thing to say didn’t it?
….Yeah, thought so.
I don’t even like him like that anymore.
Sad, I know.
Jacob’s arm seemed to wrap around me tighter.
What the hell is his problem? “Hey Nick, nothing, we’re just, talking.”
“Kinda looked like you were arguing.”
“So what if we were, it’s none of your business.”
“Jacob, be nice.”
“Why should I?”
“Because, I can’t have a boyfriend if he’s rude.”
“That’s actually a good thing, keep it up J, I’d really appreciate it.” Nick smirked at Jacob’s obvious irritation.
“Or a friend that’s an immature asshole.”
Ha! There went the smirk. It transferred to Jacob’s face, even better.
“Come on Kylie, we should get to class.”
“Right, let’s go. I’ll see ya later Nick.”
“Later.” Don’t be so grumpy Nick.
I chuckled lightly to myself as I saw the expression on his face. Completely priceless. Maybe there are some good outcomes to this ‘relationship’.
_______________
“You know what, I was thinking about what you said earlier, and I was being immature, I’m sorry Kyle.”
“Huh?” I had literally, just made it to my locker, and I was completely out of it.
School can do that to a person.
“Earlier, I was being immature, I was just apologizing for it.”
“Oh. Yeah yeah, whatever, you’re fine.”
“You okay there Kyle? You seem a little, depressed.”
Depressed? Where the fuck is he getting that I’m depressed?
“I-”
“She just went through seven classes, who wouldn’t be depressed?” Jacob asked rudely, slinging his arm around my shoulders.
“Dude, I was just asking a question, no need to try and butt heads with me here.”
“Yeah, right, you can stop trying to flirt with my girlfriend now and leave.”
“W-”
“Have a good break Nick.” I offered, not really hearing the whole conversation.
There is seriously something wrong with me right now.
“Yeah, you too.”
Was he pouting?
Oh who cares?
“Hey, you okay Ky?” Jacob’s voice was soft and soothing in my ear.
“Yeah, I’m okay, why?”
“You’re even more out of it than normal.”
“I’d take that as a insult, but I don’t feel like fighting.”
“I’m gonna drive you home today.”
“Huh? You don’t have to, Ry’s here.”
The hallways cleared out noticeably, even to me.
“I’ll just tell him real fast, give me a second.”
I didn’t have time to respond, he had already run off.
God, he’s in track too isn’t he? That’s why he’s so fast.
What sport isn’t he in?
Basketball? Actually, I don’t think he was ever very good at that. Track? Wait, I just said he was in track. Wrestling? Obviously. Baseball? Yes, and he looks damn good in that uniform too. He should wear that more often. The cap too, even though it kinda hides his ha-
“Kylie? Earth to Kylie.”
“Huh? What? What’s wrong?” I asked, swatting his hand away from my face.
“I’ve been calling your name for some time now, I-You know what? Whatever, let’s just go.”
“Um, alright.”
No more talking, I can handle that. Now I can just admire the piece of work walking beside me.
Oh, there he goes smiling again. “What are you looking at Kylie?”
“You.” Did that seriously just leave my mouth?
“I can see that, but why? Is there something on my face?”
“No.”
He cocked his head to the side curiously. “You like what you see?”
“Yeah.” Oh jesus christ, even in the state I’m in I can’t believe I just said that.
“Well, I like what I see too.” He winked, chuckling lightly as we got in his car.
Okay, so Jacob and I are flirting now? That’s fantastic. Please, by all things furry, notice the sarcasm.
His car started with a light purr, relaxing my tense muscles.
“So what’s wrong cutie?”
Did Jacob just call me a cutie?
Oh my god, are my cheeks heating up right now?
“Did you just-uh, nothing, nothing’s wrong.”
“Riight, is that why you’re completely out of it?”
“Yes actually.”
“You know that makes no sense right?” I stared at him blankly. “Did something happen in class?”
His husky, deep, sexy voice held so much concern I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. “Nothing happened in class.”
Why was I so out of it? Because I’m starting to think that it wasn’t just my classes draining me.
“Will you please tell me what’s wrong Kyle?”
“I can’t tell you what’s wrong if I don’t know what’s wrong myself Jacob.”
He pondered my sentence for a moment. “Are you, are you bipolar?”
“Uh, I don’t think so.”
Throwing the car into park he got out, stepping over to my door before I even had a chance to grab for the handle. “Thanks.”
“Yeah.”
His big, gentle hand intertwined with my own and he led me slowly to the front door.
All of this was so, routine. He would drive me places, we’d go on random stupid, yet extremely fun ‘dates’, and then he’d walk me to my door before I went inside.
And it’s about to happen yet again.
“I’ll see you tomorrow Jacob.”
My eyes widened in shock as his arms locked around me, pulling me into a hug.
My shock, however, soon vanished, and I quickly responded, wrapping my arms around his torso and lying my head on his chest.
This, was different.
His wonderful scent filled my senses, his warmth radiated from his body, a few tingles rushing through my veins, as the butterflies lightly flew through my stomach.
A smile spread across my face as we stood there.
“Jacob.”
“Hm?” He mumbled in my hair.
My smile became even bigger as I felt his chest vibrate. “This is nice.”
Oh come on, what is wrong with me? Blurting things out like that.
This shit’s gonna get me into some trouble.
“Right, I think you need to go inside and take a nap.” He chuckled, pulling away slowly.
“Fine.” I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest.
Once again Jacob chuckled, a smile plastered on his face. He kissed my forehead lightly, leaving me completely dazed. “I’ll see you tomorrow Kylie.”
“Ye-o-tomorrow.” Wow, that made a lot of sense Kyle, good job.
Why don’t you just scream, HEY JACOB! I LIKE YOU AND YOUR KISSES MAKE ME LOSE MY ABILITY TO SPEAK!
Wait, okay, I shouldn’t scream that, especially the part about liking him.
Waltzing into my house, I could feel the stupid, idiotic smile that spread across my face.
Jacob only hugged me to make me feel better, but whenever he did so, it was, for lack of a better word, magical.
“What are you so smiley about?”
“Nothing.” I lied, completely pushing Ryan to the side.
Failing miserably, I tried to wipe the smile from my face.
Might as well go take a nap like Jacob said, it might help me clear my mind, my very, confused, jittery, overly joyed mind.
_________
“I’m leaving for Bri’s now.”
“Wait! Hold on!”
“Oh thank god, I wanted to ask you if this looked okay.”
Aw! My brother is worrying about what he looks like for Bri!
Stepping into the hallway I looked my brother over.
“Ky, you look so pretty.”
My cheeks tinted and I looked at the floor. “Thanks Ry, you don’t look too shabby yourself.” Clearing my throat I brought my eyes back to his own. “Now, I’ll allow you to leave in that dashing outfit if-”
“If what?”
“If you promise that you’ll come back completely ecstatic because you finally asked my best friend out and she said yes.”
He smirked, fixing his clothes. “I think I can agree to that promise.”
“Yes!”
“Okay, I’m leaving, bye. Have fun.”
“You too.”
Rushing back to my room I once again checked over my outfit.
A simple dress that went a quarter of the way down my calves, black with dark dark green designs swirling through the fabric. The thick straps held everything in place. A line of tighter fabric circled around my body, so the bottom of the dress could be slightly puffy.
All in all, I could wear this dress to any family happening.
And I only wore a thin line of eyeliner, my hair down, very lightly curled.
Biting my lip, I put on my black lacy flats, hoping that everything looked okay.
My heart leapt to my throat as the doorbell rang.
Oh god, that’s him.
Quickly my fingers fixed my hair and smoothed out my dress, giving my whole appearance another fixer upper before heading downstairs.
“Hi Jacob.” I smiled as I opened the front door.
Wow. Seriously, just, wow.
Simple black slacks, his green chucks peeking out under the folds, a silk green (Irony) shirt tucked in loosely.
So simple, yet so, amazing.
“Wow, Kyle, you look-wow.”
I hope that’s a good thing.
Personally, for our family Thanksgivings, we just wore casual clothes, but I always noticed Jacob’s family dressed up for the occasion. Maybe I went too far, maybe I didn’t go far en-
“You look beautiful.”
Sweet Jesus, Jacob Pelter just called me beautiful! I think the earth is about to explode!
No, wait, that’s just my heart.
“Th-thank you.”
I couldn’t bring myself to look up at him anymore. My cheeks were far too red.
“Uh, should we go then?”
“Yeah, I guess we should, probably go, to you know, Thanksgiving.” Gah! Stop talking! You sound like an idiot!
“Right, Thanksgiving, my, house.”
What’s he so, messed up for?
The extremely short car ride to his house was an awkward one.
I was trying my hardest not to look at him, failing, of course, how can you not look at something that handsome?
His hands were fastened on the steering wheel so tightly, his knuckles were turning white.
Once we stepped out of the car, he wiped his hands against his pants, apparently eluding them from the sweat.
Something he’s never, had to do before.
Obviously he was nervous, for what, I don’t know, but it seemed that I would have to be the one to engage the hand holding today.
Walking over confidently to his perfect, er, tall form, I grabbed his hand in mine.
With a quick glance my way he came to his senses, turning his hand slightly so our fingers could tangle together.
“Here we go.”
“Jacob! It’s so good to see you! And is that lovely young lady Kyle!? I haven’t seen you in ages, how are you child? Well, I guess I shouldn’t call you child anymore, you’re very obviously a woman now. Oh I always knew you two would get together!” Jacob’s Aunt Betty clapped happily, hugging the both of us, pinching our cheeks, as she ranted on.
Oh, but dear Aunt Betty wasn’t the only one to rant on and on, smush us in hugs, assault our faces, and squeal in delight at our arrival. Nope, the whole damn family did that.
Except his dad, he kept a distance from us, probably because of Jacob, thank god.
I looked into his eyes, a new twinkle brightening my own, as I noticed the woman in the corner, smiling crookedly, just like Jacob did.
Just like right now.
He kissed my cheek lightly before nodding his head, whispering the word go.
This time, it was my turn to squeal as I ran towards the wonderful old woman.
“Gramma Pelter!”
My arms grabbed her into a death hug, which she quickly returned, lightly laughing.
“Kylie Wilson, it’s been far too long young lady, why haven’t you stopped by to see me?”
“I’m sorry Gramma, I was never invited.” I pouted, sending a small glare Jacob’s way.
Gramma Pelter and I were the only ones in the room, besides Jacob, but he was clear over there.
Again that soft laugh tinkled through the empty room.
Suddenly, her face became serious and she leaned in slightly. “I always knew you and my grandbaby would end up together.” She made her voice low, and quiet, so only I could hear.
“How?”
“The way you two were always together, no matter how much you ‘hated’ each other, I always knew. I’m glad the looks you give each other aren’t being wasted because of some stupid fake hatred.”
“Huh? What looks?”
“Sweetheart, I may be old, but I’m not blind. You two are totally infatuated with one another, and it started long before you started going out.” She patted my shoulder before walking into the other room.
“What did you and Grandma talk about?”
“None of your business Pelter, Gramma and I were just talking.”
“Right.” He chuckled, taking my hand in his own. “Let’s go eat.”
Despite myself, I couldn’t stop from smiling.
The things he does to me are, insane.
Maybe this relationship could be, more than just a prank…….yeah, probably not.
God, I’ve never felt so welcome into a family before, not even my own family treated me this great.
“Oh gosh, do you remember the time Kyle pushed Jacob into the lake?”
“Don’t forget the part where we were on a boat, and the fact that she hooked me and pretended I was the catch of the day.” Jacob scowled at the memory, but I laughed. When he said I hooked him, he was serious.
I got him right on the corner of the mouth, the hook going through his cheek, leaving a scar.
“I’m sorry Jacob.” I giggled, hugging his frigid body. “I guess that was my way of flirting.”
I laughed some more after kissing his cheek where the scar was located.
The room filled with aw’s, and Jacob’s cheeks tinted slightly.
“What about when Jacob chopped off Kyle’s hair?”
“Oo, that one was terrible.”
“What, her permanently scarring my face and my ability to fish is nothing, but me cutting her hair is the worst possible thing imaginable?”
“Jacob, dear, a woman’s hair is not something to be taken lightly-”
“Especially for a little girl named Kyle, who’s trying her hardest to be everything her name isn’t.”
The room quieted after I blurted out the last sentence.
Great, I managed to screw up a perfect evening. “I’m sor-”
“So what finally made you two get together?”
I flashed Gramma Pelter a thanking grin.
“Jacob you can go first, so you can’t sweeten things up after hearing her answer.”
“Well, I guess…..” He paused, thinking. “I’d been fighting with myself for some time on whether I liked her or not, always telling myself that I couldn’t stand her. But every time I saw her with a guy, I got jealous, every time I saw her smile, my whole day just got, so much better. And I could never get her out of my head. Finally, one day I couldn’t take it anymore. I walked up to her, asked to speak to her privately,” He smiled as he kept his eyes on the table. “of course she put up a fight. When I got her alone, I grabbed her face in my hands and kissed her, letting all of my feelings finally show.”
Oh my god, I think my heart seriously just stopped beating.
And my cheeks cannot get any redder, of this I’m sure.
All of that sounded so real, like he was allowing people access to his heart.
If I were anyone else, I totally would’ve believed it.
All the women leaned forward, their eyes twinkling at the confession.
“Awwwww.” Gramma looked the most entranced. “I think you should kiss her.”
“Uh-”
“No, she doesn’t like PDA.”
That just seemed to push them further.
“Aw, that’s cute. Sticking up for her like that, but it’s just family.”
“Which makes it a lot worse.”
Gramma crossed her arms, eyeing us skeptically. “I need to talk to the younguns alone. Kids, follow me.”
Oh crap. “Yes Ma’am.” Jacob and I followed close behind, tense beyond all belief.
Lucy lead us upstairs, to an empty room. She closed the door lightly behind us and sent a scrutinizing look.
We knew our cover was blown, so we moved apart, giving each other some room.
“Alright spill, what’s going on here?”
“It’s just a prank to get back at our friends.”
“Yeah, we’re not actually together. We’re good actors huh?” She scowled at my enthusiasm.
“That’s a waste of a perfect relationship.” I opened my mouth to reply, but she beat me to the punch. “Tell ya what, in order to make it up to me, I want to see you here at Christmas, whether you two are together or not.”
Of course I smiled, she might be upset, but she’s not trying to ruin our game. “I’ll have to say yes to that.”
Again I enveloped Lucy in a hug.
“And don’t worry, I’ll keep your true feelings a secret, unless of course, he asks.”
“Gramma, that’s not funny!” I completely went against myself when I giggled and smiled.
“I know I know.” Her face turned serious once more as she lowered her voice. “I think this prank will turn out to be more soon.”
That last statement stayed with me throughout my whole break.
Why would Gramma want to scare me like that?
And then, to top it all off, I couldn’t talk to anybody about it.
Not my best friend, not even my brother, who continually asked why I wasn’t with my boyfriend.
Gah, life is just, full of complications.