We Can Only Pretend for So Long

My Life is so Cliche

Embarrassed beyond all belief, I didn’t return to Jacob’s house that weekend, I waited until Monday to see him.
Usually, the weekends fly right by, but this weekend, seemed to drag on forever.
And when I saw him in the parking lot at school, every cliché feeling you’ve ever heard of ran through me.
A shy smile spread across my face, my cheeks burned brighter than the headlights on his car, images of Friday flashed through my mind, butterflies soared violently, goosebumps played on my skin, and my eyes twinkled.
“What are you so happy about?”
“Huh? Oh, nothing.” I lied, hiding my face with my hair, quickly making my way over to Jacob.
A smile he tried to hide danced across his face.
Before I made it all the way over to him he pulled me into a hug, smiling into my hair.
“It was real right? I didn’t just make it all up?”
I was shocked to hear him ask that, I thought I was the only one that thought it.
Bringing my eyes up to meet his own I nodded, looking at his almost fascinated stare. “What? What are you looking at?”
He blinked a few times before smiling yet again. “I’m looking at you.” He chuckled. “You look beautiful Kyle.”
Beautiful? But I’m not even wearing make up. “Stop it.” I blushed, burying my face in his chest.
“Stop what?”
“Stop saying stuff like that, I’m not used to it.”
“Well, the only way you’re going to get used to it, is if I say it all the time beautiful.” I could tell he was smirking.
“Whatever, let’s just go to class.”
His hand grasped mine, entwining our fingers as he led me to class.
__________
God, I couldn’t keep that stupid smile from spreading across my face whenever I was around Jacob.
Like right now, we’re sitting at our usual table, usual spots, only difference is, Jacob and I aren’t leaning on each other.
We’re much more subtle, we’re just holding hands under the table, smiling like idiots.
Apparently, our smiles are contagious.
“What are you guys so smiley about?” Shaughn laughed, looking between us.
I shook my head, looking down.
“You guys had sex didn’t you!?” Monny yelled for the whole school, excuse me, the whole world to hear.
“What!?” My head snapped up. “No!”
“It’s okay, there’s no need to deny it. Ryan would’ve found out anyways.”
“Monny, shut the fuck up, you have no idea what you’re talking about.” Jacob growled, squeezing my hand.
“You guys don’t need to be ashamed, it’s natural.”
“We’re virgins you stupid fuck.”
Monny laughed at this. “Sweetheart, you might be a virgin, but Jacob’s definitely not, trust me.” And just like that, she walked off, leaving us all in awkward silence.
____________
“Kyle, wait, please.”
Quickly I stormed through the parking lot, not answering his calls.
Today was hell, I thought it would be absolutely wonderful, now that Jacob and I were truly together, but after lunch, everything just got tense.
“Kyle,” He grabbed onto my wrist and gently pulled me back. “Listen, please.”
“Why should I? I already know what you’re going to say, you slept with Monny. Big whoop right? We weren’t even together.”
“Kyle, I never slept with Monny, she’s just saying that to try and break us up. She can’t stand to see you with anyone, especially since she can’t get a guy herself.”
So he used my real name, and that usually means he’s telling the truth, but, he could be using it just to get me to believe him.
“Jacob, I honestly don’t care that you slept with her.”
He sighed, obviously annoyed.
Glad that I couldn’t see his face, due to my back being towards him, I rolled my eyes. “Kyle, I swear on my mother’s grave that I never slept with Monny, or anyone else for that matter.”
My eyes instantly pricked at his words. Turning I kept my eyes towards the ground. “Take it back.”
“What? Ky-”
“Take it back now Jacob. Your mother doesn’t deserve that.” I looked into his eyes, the tears now visible in my own. “You swore on your life when we were kids that you would never, under any circumstance, swear on her grave. Unless you want me to kill you, right here on the spot, take it back.”
Because of my joking, yet serious manner, he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into a hug. I kept my arms tucked against my chest and his own, as my head lay on them and his muscle.
“I take it back. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it, er, I did mean it, I just didn’t mean to use my mother to prove it.”
“It’s fine, I guess. You really didn’t have to go to that extreme.”
“Kyle, I finally got you, I’m not gonna let someone as stupid as Monny take you away from me.”
My face burned at his words.
Raising my head I met his gaze, smiling lightly.
“I’m sorry I did that.”
“No need to apologize, unless of course that means I get to kiss you.”
My cheeks grew even warmer as he leaned in.
Eyes fluttering to a close I awaited his lips to touch mine, and when they did, I was in heaven.
“Woo! Finally some action!”
Quickly we pulled apart at the sound of Bri’s voice.
“I’ll, uh, I’ll see you later.” I blushed like mad, stepping away from Jacob.
“Right, later.” He was smiling like a child at Christmas, why? I have no idea.
“Don’t say a god damn word Bri.” I growled as I jumped into the jeep.
“Fine, I won’t, but I’m not so sure that I can promise that Ry won’t say anything.”
Son of a bitch, Ry saw too?
“Kyle.”
“Ryan.”
“I thought you didn’t like PDA.”
He sounds, okay. He’s not angry.
Why isn’t he angry?
“Well, we didn’t know anyone was out here.”
Which is true, but when you get offered a kiss by Jacob Pelter, you don’t care who’s there.
“Aw, Kyle, growing up so fast.”
“Shut up Bri.” A thought sprang to my head and a smile crept onto my face. “You know Ryan, if you marry Brianna, then we truly would be sisters.”
Yes! Two in one!
………
Have I done that before?
‘Date tonight?’
My cheeks reddened and a smile spread across my face. ‘Of course. What time?’
‘7 okay?’
‘Yeah perfect’
“I’ve got a date tonight.” I said in a sing-song voice.
“What a coincidence, so do I.” Suddenly she straightened in her seat. “We should do a double date!”
“Yes! Let’s do it!”
“R-really?”
Well, I can understand why she’s so shocked.
She’s suggested double dates many times before, but I always said no.
Of course, I’ve never had a boyfriend that I’ve really liked, or wanted to be with outside of school.
Gosh, listen to me, I sound like a lame wad.
I kind of didn’t tell Jacob until last minute that we’d be having a double date.
Let’s just say he’s not exactly thrilled.
How do I know?
Because he’s giving me the death glare.
“This is supposed to be our first date.”
“Well,” I’m going to be a smartass right now. “If you were never pretending, wouldn’t our first fake date be our real first date?”
“Smartass.”
Jamming the car into park, slightly angrily, he sent a glare my way before looking back ahead.
Taking a quick glance around I leaned towards him, planting a kiss on his cheek.
What was supposed to be his cheek, at the very last second he turned his head.
“Hey, now your cheek’s sad.”
“But my lips are happy.”
Who could stop themselves from smiling when a guy as cute as him is smiling as dopey as that?
“Whatever loser, let’s get inside before they think we’re doing something.”
Without waiting for a reply I exited the car, standing by the door.
One thing I was waiting for, were his fingers to entwine with my own.
And then it happened…..
Seriously, who would’ve guessed the building would blow up?
I’m just kidding, but there was a car that burst into flames.
It would have been amazing, had I known for sure people weren’t in the car.
Okay, I’m just kidding again, Jacob just took my hand, that’s it.
I know, boring, for you.
“Hey, is that,” Tilting his head to the side he scrunched up his face. “Is that car smoking?”
“What?”
Maybe I shouldn’t have joked around about that.
I should have knocked on wood or something!
“Dude, that’s Ry’s-wait, no it’s not, but still!”
Jacob couldn’t help but to laugh at my outburst.
“Stop laughing! We need to make sure no one’s in there! What if it starts, ah shit, Jacob, it started on fire.”
Taking action, I let go of Jacob’s hand and ran towards the car, hoping it wouldn’t blow up.
“Hey! Anyone in there!?” No answer.
Pulling a stupid move I stuck my head inside, double checking.
No one.
Jacob came running outside with some workers, all wielding fire extinguishers.
“Get out of the way miss!”
Will do.
I don’t plan on getting burned, blown up, or smothered with white frothy stuff.
“My car!”
“Dude! Stay back.”
Surprisingly, the teen allowed me to hold him back, the only thing I had to do was press my hands against his chest.
“Kyle, it’s okay, I’m not going to run into my burning car.”
I should’ve known.
Nick.
“Right, sorry.” Quickly, I tried to spark up a conversation. Why? I don’t know. “So uh, what are you doing here?”
“I work here.”
“Oh.”
He works here. My life is so cliché.
“You here to see Ryan?”
“Yeah, double date.”
This is awkward. “Well, looks like I’m your waiter.”
See, cliché.
“Okay, we’re good. What the hell are you doing here?”
Ah, my protective boyfriend.
Hear that?
Boyfriend, not fake boyfriend, just boyfriend.
Sounds nice, doesn’t it?
I think so.
“He’s our waiter.” I chirped, leaning into his side, allowing his arm to sling over my shoulders before grabbing his fingers.
“Our waiter?”
He only glanced down at me before looking back at Nick. “We need a new table.”
“No, Jacob, it’s fine.”
“Yeah, it’s cool man. And thanks for putting out my car.”
“His car?” Jacob spat once Nick was back inside. “If I knew it was his car I would have let it burn.”
“No you wouldn’t have.”
“Okay, so I wouldn’t, but I would have wanted to.”
“Of course you would, but you’re too good of a person.”
“Damn straight.”
“Language Jake.” Bri chuckled as we sat down.
“Sorry ma’am.”
Not even two seconds later Nick came walking over with my favorite drink.
Huh. Very nice, but he forgot-
“You forgot the cherry.”
“I’m sorry?”
Jacob picked the glass back up and put it in Nick’s hand.
“You forgot the cherry, and the bendy straw.”
What? Bendy straws are cool.
“Right, sorry, I’ll be right back.”
Apparently Jacob gets nothing.
“I thought I was the only one that knew that.” Ry practically whined.
“Hey, I thought you were the only one too. I guess you were right about the stalker thing-”
“You were talking about him?” Nodding my head he rolled his eyes. “I should’ve known.”
“Why am I being called a stalker?”
“Yeah, if he’s a stalker for knowing her drink, than you’re a major stalker.” Bri said, pointing an accusing finger my way.
“How am I a stalker?”
“Sophomore year, you knew absolutely everything about him. What time he would show up, what classes he had and what period, how fast he-”
“Okay! Bri! Shut up god. You said you would never tell anyone about that.”
“It’s okay, I knew more about you, still do.”
“Pfft, please.”
Did I really just challenge him on our stalkerish instincts?
“I can’t believe you guys are fighting about this right now.”
“Ry hush.” A thought ran across my mind and I smirked. “We’re acting like a real couple, unlike you guys. Are you sure you’re even together?”
“I’ll show you together.” Ry grabbed Bri’s face in his hands and kissed her.
“Okay, ew, knock it off, we’re in a public place, no one wants to see that.”
Closing your eyes, can seriously help in a situation like this.
“Alright, are you guys ready to order?”
Nick’s back.
That took forever.
Slowly as if the waiter was stupid, we made our orders.
“So….”
“So….”
“So….”
All of us saying so….is not going to start up a conversation.
“How’d you two get together?”
Thank you Jacob.
“He asked me out on Thanksgiving.”
“Actually, it’s thanks to your matchmaking girlfriend.”
“Oh really?” Jacob raised an eyebrow curiously.
“Yeah, if it weren’t for her, I never would have met her, or talked to her, or gotten to know her. Even though it always kind of ticked me off when you left us alone-”
“That’s why you always left us alone!? You always told me that you got a call from your boyfriend!”
“Uh, you’re welcome, and sometimes I actually was getting a call from my boyfriend.”
Jacob squirmed slightly, obviously uncomfortable with my topic of boyfriends.
“Or me.”
Everybody at our table looked over at him.
“Oh yeah, I guess I did get a call from you too huh? Oh…”
How had I never noticed before?
Jacob would call me, flirt with me, though it wasn’t as obvious, and I guess, bullying me was his biggest way of flirting.
I am so slow. I’m surprised I even understood when he straight up told me.
“Here’s your check.”
“Check? We didn’t even get our food yet.”
“Oh! I’m terribly sorry, wrong table.”
The waitress blushed slightly before walking away.
However, I did catch the eye flick to Jacob, and her leaving a paper semi hidden behind his napkin.
Curiously he picked it up, busting out laughing as he crinkled it.
“What?”
“Well it seems Molly thinks I’m sexy and that we should get together sometime. She also left me her number.”
“Pft, she obviously doesn’t know you already have a sexy girlfriend.”
“Kyle, shut up.”
See? I’m good at getting people to laugh……….even though I wasn’t trying to.