We Can Only Pretend for So Long

My Mouth Was Open!

“Okay, Kylie, enough funny business, we need to get serious and get out of here.”
“And how do you plan on doing that, walking to town?”
“How about we use my cell phone?”
Cell phone?
My head snapped up and my eyes scanned over the cell in his hand. “I thought you gave your cell phone to Shaughn.”
“Correction, I gave him one of my cell phones.”
“Jacob, sometimes you’re a frickin genius.”
“Not sometimes Love, all the time.”
I watched as he punched in a number and waited. “Jay, hey, can you come get me and Kyle.” He cleared his throat, fist in front of mouth and his eyes shifted to me, a slight blush on his cheeks? “Possibly.” Pause. “Kyle and I got together.” My turn to blush, he said it so easily. “Yeah, we did, can you just come get us?”
What’s his brother saying?
“We’re at Shaughn’s vacation house, yeah, probably now, duh. Alright, thanks bro.”
“So I take it Jay’s coming?” I asked casually as I washed off our plates.
“Yep, be about an hour or so.”
“Mm.” I dried off my hands with a towel. “So what’d Jay say?”
“Nothing, he just couldn’t believe that I got together with you.”
“I don’t think anybody will.”
“We’ll discuss this later, now we must pack.”
“Pack what? We stayed here one night.”
“Right.”
“And you say you’re a genius all the time?”
“Whatever.”
“Mmkay, I’m gonna go swim.”
“No you’re not.” He grabbed my wrist as I tried to walk away.
“You’re right, I’m not gonna go swim, I’m gonna go float.” He scowled at my comeback. “Fine, if you’re so worried come with me.” I said, pulling his hand. His feet moved forward as I dragged him outside.
“It’s gonna be cold.” He stated as we stood in front of the lake.
“It was cold last night, but I handled that just fine.”
“Fine.”
I flashed him a smile. “Good, now come on, you can’t swim in that.”
No! Stop watching him! Gah! So he’s utterly gorgeous, his face and body, but that’s no reason to stare!
Actually that’s a great reason to stare, but still.
I turned my back on him and slapped my forehead before pulling off my pants. Turning back around I found Jacob in his boxers, staring at me. “What?”
“Why don’t you ever take off your shirt?”
“Yeah, because that’s important.” I smirked, trudging into the water.
“I was just curious.” He said, following close behind. “So, do you want me to teach you how to swim?”
“You’ve already tried and it failed miserably, remember? Every time.”
“It’s a different day, maybe it’ll actually work this time.”
“Okayyy, but it’s your wasted time buddy.”
Sitting down I sank straight to the bottom, the water coming to my nose, and my hair floating around me.
“Yeah, that’s not creepy at all.”
But he still walked over and made me stand. “We need deeper water!” I yelled as I realized how far up it actually went, just barely to my waist.
“This is fine.” And suddenly, the water wasn’t the only thing on my waist.
“No touchy Jacob.” I whined as he pulled me back, his body now pressed against mine.
“Then stay put, I don’t need you dying before we can work out our plan.”
“Fine, but let go.”
He did as I said and I stepped away. “You know you’re gonna have to get used to it right? With us being together and everything.”
“But it’s fake.” I said lying down so I could float.
“But we have to make it believable. Move your arms.”
“We can make it believable without touching.” I closed my eyes and enjoyed the feeling of the water.
“Kinda do, who’s gonna believe two people really like each other if they don’t show it, even a little?”
I opened my eyes and saw him smirking, further away then I remember. “What?”
“You’re swimming.”
My eyes looked around frantically before I tried to stand, falling into the water that covered my whole being. I stood quickly with the help of Jacob and shrieked. “I was swimming!” I jumped in excitement.
The smile on my face was so big I thought my cheeks would explode, and it seemed to get even bigger as he laughed.
My face turned serious as his breath hit my cheek.
“What?” He was still smiling slightly. God that smile.
“Your breath stinks.” I lied.
“Your breath isn’t too great either.”
So I took in a big breath and let it out in a gust, right in his face.
He crinkled his nose and did the same, while my mouth was still open. “Ewww. My mouth was open.”
His face came mere centimeters away from mine, something funny swirled in my stomach. His eyes grabbed mine and wouldn’t let go.
“My breath’s not the only thing that’s gonna be in your mouth.” Yeah, that snapped me out of it.
“You’re disgusting.” I said stepping back.
“I didn’t mean it like that sicko.”
“Mm-hm, sure.”
“It’s called waiting for marriage smart one.”
“Finally, a guy that understands my values, too bad he’s a jackass.”
“I’m not a jackass, I’m a gentleman.”
“Oh, is that why you’re tricking our friends into believing we’re together? And why you’re staring at my ass?” I asked as I looked back and caught him staring at my butt as I walked towards the shore.
“I am not. And it’s we sweetheart.”
“Shut it.”
I found my pants and made my way back to the house, Jacob on my heels.
“Okay, so we’ve got what? Half an hour? That should be enough time for both of us to take a shower.”
“You can take yours first.”
“Um, thank you.”
I grabbed my bag and headed to the bathroom, locking the door behind me.
What’s he up to?
No, I shouldn’t think like that, he has his nice streaks, and he’s really not that bad of a kid.
Well, he is a jerk.
Why’d I even agree to this prank? It’s stupid, no one will believe us.
We’ve been fighting since first grade.
“Are you almost finished?”
I snapped out of my thoughts and turned off the shower.
“Just a minute.” I quickly threw my hair into the towel and wrapped it before wrapping a towel around my body.
Stepping into the room Jacob chuckled. “Great look for you Wilson.”
“Shut it Pelter.”
He closed the door behind him, still chuckling.
I waited for the water to once again start running before drying off.
Quickly I threw on my undergarments, a baggy t-shirt, and a pair of khaki shorts I stole from Ryan a few years back, when he was smaller.
I pulled the towel out of my hair and admired it as it curled over my shoulders.
Quickly I brushed through my hair before throwing it up into a ponytail.
I jumped slightly as a song began to play out of nowhere.
‘I, hate, everything about you!’ I snatched the phone up and looked at the caller ID. Jay.
“Hello?”
“Kyle?”
“Yeah, hi Jay.”
“I’m here.”
“Okay, I’ll tell Jacob.” He chuckled lightly. “What?”
“So you and my little brother finally got together huh?”
“What do you mean finally?”
“I mean my-” The phone disappeared from my hand, or rather, someone grabbed it out of my hands, closing it before I could snatch it back.
“I was talking to him.”
“So, it’s just Jay.”
“I was still talking to him. It’s awfully rude to end someone’s conversation like that.” I said, hands on hips.
“I don’t care.” He grabbed something behind me, slightly having to press himself against me. “Is he here?”
The only thing I could do was nod. It was so weird having him so close, yet, almost, natural?
No! Not natural! Odd and uncomfortable!
“Okay, now when we get out there we have to act all, couple-y. Holding hands and crap okay?”
“Okay.”
We grabbed our things and headed outside, stopping at the door.
“You’re a good actor right?” I nodded. “Well, act like you like me, and make it believable.”
“I don’t know if I’m that good of an actor.” I smiled.
He gave me a small smile and grabbed my hand, linking our fingers together.
I noticed as we walked towards Jay’s gawking stare, that our hands, though his being slightly bigger, fit perfectly together.
Jacob opened the door and motioned me in.
“Thank you.” I smiled sweetly.
He then walked to the other side and slid in next to me.
“Good morning Jay.”
“Mornin’ Ky.”
A big grin broke out on his face.
Very contagious. “What?”
“I always knew you two would get together.” He said driving away.
“Oh you knew huh?”
“Oh yeah, especially with how my baby brother-” Jacob whacked him upside the head and I couldn’t stop myself from giggling. Jacob’s face brightened and he smiled. “Dude, I’m driving.”
Huh, he’s a pretty good actor himself. I sure hope he can do this Monday.
Jacob trailed his fingers lightly on my palm, sending tingles up my arm.
A yawn escaped my throat. “Why don’t you go to sleep, I’ll wake you up when we get home.”
I nodded my head and scooted closer to Jacob, laying my head on his shoulder and hugging his torso.
His body tensed momentarily.
A slight warmth spread through me as he put his arm around my shoulders.
“Jay, you can’t tell anybody that you got us, and you definitely can’t tell them we’re together.”
“Why not?”
“Just don’t Jay.”
“Fine, but-” And that was the last thing I heard before completely falling asleep.
“Dad? Where are you?”
“Kyle.” Ryan walked into the room, tears running down his face.
“Ryan.” I ran over to him, embracing him in a tight hug. “Ryan, what’s wrong?”
“Dad.” He choked out.
My heart sank to my stomach. “W-what about dad?”
Tears brimmed my eyes.
“He’s dead Kyle.”
“No!” My knees went out under me and I fell to the floor, the tears now freely falling.
Ryan kneeled beside me and held me, crying into my hair.