Status: Opinions? Let me know :)

Eye Opener

Prologue

"Hello?" Seventeen year old Jake Belanger answered the phone in a concerned tone.

He had a right to be concerned, this was no ordinary call.

"Hey Jake, I hate to tell you this but we've accepted a deal for your rights." the voice on the other end delivered the crushing news apologetically but quickly.

The speaker was the general manager of the Kootenay Ice, Jake's (now former) hockey team, and the timing could not have been more perfect. It was the trade deadline, and with less than a month to go until the playoffs, his hopes of impressing NHL scouts were now hinging on the record of the team he'd been sent to.

"From who?" he questioned, flipping open his laptop and searching up the league standings.

"Edmonton."

He breathed a sigh of relief. 33-25-6, 72 points. At least they were a playoff contender.

"How long until I have to go?" he sighed.

"You've got one day to pack Jake. I'm sorry. You've been a great asset to us this year, and for that we thank you. Hopefully we'll meet in the playoffs. And all the best in the draft next year."

With that, the call ended, leaving Jake in awe. What the man said had been true, Jake's 21 goals and 16 assists had been a great contribution to the team's season, and his 181 shots on goal were among the team's best.

He shook his head in disbelief and began to drag his suitcase out of the closet. Kootenay was no longer his home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little teaser, more to come soon :)