Status: Finished <3

Gaia

Chapter Ten

Eli decided to get a gift for Gracie. He hadn't been to see her in quite a while, after all. He was careful about that. According to the identity she had here on the top level, she had no relation to Eli. He had forged new identities for them eight years ago, changing his own last name to Beckstrom and naming her Gracelyn Enderson. They left the name Carver behind for good. As far as the world knew, Eli and Grace Carver had died eight years ago along with their parents and grandfather and Eli preferred that they keep thinking that.

Thinking of his family made his chest ache. Eli ordered the crystalline figurine of the Eiffel Tower that he'd been looking at. Gracie loved to collect things that pertained to the past, just like their father did. Even though he had worked in a factory recycling old tech and putting together new gadgets and loved it, he was still intrigued by any and everything to do with the old world, before Gaia.

Eli touched the key that hung on a cord around his neck. He always kept it hidden beneath his clothes and at night it was in his nightstand drawer. Sometimes he just kept it under his pillow, hand clenched tightly around the metal. No one used keys like this anymore. Which is precisely why Eli had had an old-fashioned lock made for one of his desk drawers. He opened it now and gently took out the stack of photos inside. His father had been elated when he stumbled across a positively ancient camera. Gracie and Jessica had taken about a hundred photos with it, marveling at the flat, stationary things.

Eli looked down at them now, smiling a little even though his heart felt that familiar ripping sensation. He came to the one of Jess, smiling and crinkling her freckled nose. Her hazel eyes jumped out at him from her lovely face, pink hair framing it in wild waves. She had wanted that mod so desperately. Her parents had saved up for months for it, and even then it had been a cheaper, less professionally done job. Instead of vibrant fuchsia it was more of a pale, dusky rose. But Jess hadn't cared. That pink hair was her pride and joy. And Eli had thought she was beautiful. He still did, when he looked at that photograph and remembered the sound of her laughter.

She was gone now, just like his parents. And sometimes it was difficult to recall the sound of her voice, and it was like losing her all over again. Eight years and still the pain felt fresh, like an oozing, open wound. These photos had been taken not even six months before Eli lost everything in the world except his sister.

He thought of what Mari had said, about losing her parents to the plague and having a brother down on the Ground. He sighed, feeling a little guilty for keeping her up here when her brother was probably worried sick. Eli stared down at the photos of his parents, and Jess, and a twelve year old Gracie. They would all tell him the same thing. They would all want him to do the kindest thing he was able.

Eli returned his attention to his computer, hunting around for Mari's family. Sure enough, he found death records of her parents, and found her brother's name. After a little more digging he found that there was a banking account in Mari and Andy's names, though it was pitifully empty at the moment. Eli remembered those days. Before letting himself think too much of it and change his mind, he easily hacked the system and anonymously transferred some money from his own account to the Golds.'

He supposed he should let her call him too, just to check in and let him know she was all right. He didn't use his old video phone much; he supposed he could lend it to her for a while. He jumped when Reuben knocked, hurriedly stuffing the photos back in their drawer.

"Sorry to disturb you, Sir. Miss Gold has returned with your laundry."

"Ah, thank you." Eli glanced at the time on the corner of his computer screen and scowled. He relocked the drawer and hid the key back under his shirt, stuffing the video phone in his pocket and marching into the living room, grumbling the entire time. Mari was on the couch in front of the vidscreen, again eating his popcorn.

"I told you an hour," he said irritably. "You've been gone for nearly three and a half!"

"Sorry. There's a lot to see up here. I got a little lost a couple of times." She shrugged. "I got all your stuff though."

"Well wonders never cease," he muttered, picking up his dry cleaning. He frowned.

"Hey, this dark blue suit isn't mine," he said.

"Yes it is. See, it's in with all your other stuff."

"Marilyn, I warned you that I'd be checking the charges made to that card," he warned.

"It's your suit," she insisted, batting her lashes innocently. "I know it's a little nicer than all the other bland ones you have, and it's really quite amazing that you even have it. You must have had good taste and fashion sense one day and forgotten about it."

Eli rolled his eyes. He took his suits into his bedroom to hang them up. He paused to study the navy blue one that had mysteriously appeared in his dry cleaning. It was a nice suit. But no way was he ever admitting that to Mari. He rummaged to the back of the closet where his one lonely tuxedo was hanging in its protective plastic covering. He rarely wore it but checked it for any damages or stains anyway. He was going to need it for Ella Stellar's stupid party.

He returned to the living room to find Mari shimmying around on the couch while singing along to some music vid that was playing. He pursed his lips and stared at her with exasperation, but it took a little more effort than it usually did.

"You were late, so now I'm tempted not to give you the gift I have for you," he said, to get her attention.

"A gift? For me?" She looked intrigued but skeptical. "What is it?"

"Ask for it nicely."

She scowled. "Oh come on, Eli. Give it."

He stayed rooted to the spot, arms crossed. She tucked her legs beneath her on the couch and stared at him with big brown eyes and a pouty expression.

"I was only a little late," she insisted. "I told you, I got lost. Now what's my gift?"

"Ask nicely," he repeated. She huffed.

"Please Eli, may I have the gift you got for me?"

"See, now was that so hard?" He tossed her the video phone and she stared at it in confusion.

"It's so you can call your brother," Eli explained. "Let him know you're not dead."

"You're...you're actually going to let me call him?"

"I have a sibling too, as you may recall. You can keep the phone, as long as you don't try anything funny. Just let him know you're okay."

Mari clutched the phone tightly in her hand, looking unsure. Eli turned to leave the room and give her privacy to call her brother.

"A gift for Gracie will be arriving soon," he called over his shoulder. "You can sign for it when it gets here."

Then he made his way downstairs to his home gym, realizing on the way that he hadn't kicked her out this time. He thought about it, then decided he could live with her watching a few music videos and eating some popcorn. He obviously wasn't going to be able to keep her out of his house. He changed into workout clothes and programmed in a random fight simulation on the virtual reality chamber. Just because he was head of security now didn't mean he could afford to lose his edge.