Status: Finished <3

Gaia

Chapter Thirteen

The week of that party couldn't come fast enough. She spent the entire week kissing up to Eli to the point that he'd tell her to go home early just to get away. She filed every paper, fixed every cup of coffee, and picked up all the dry cleaning he wanted. She was starting to get used to how it was on the upper levels. When she had contact with Andy, it even seemed like a real job instead of paying back a debt. He'd somehow mysteriously come up with a ton of money in their joint account, which was enough to pay for real food and a nicer tent. She wasn't sure how it suddenly appeared there, but she didn't question it.

The night of the party, Mari begged Eli to let her go early so she could get ready. She changed her outfit three times before deciding on a light blue cocktail dress with a few layers of tulle over it and silver beading. Reuben had good taste, that was for sure. She paired it with silver pumps and jewelry, and spent hours perfecting a smoky eye and pink lips. She curled her dark hair and pinned it in a messy side bun at the nape of her neck, letting a few tendrils frame her face. She felt like an absolute princess, twirling around the room to one of Ella Stellar's dance mixes. All she needed was a tiara, and if she had one, by God, she'd be wearing it no matte how flashy it was. That's how upper level people were, anyways. Flashy as fuck.

She jumped when there was an urgent knock on her door, rushing to open it. She found Eli there, looking quite dapper in a tuxedo, but not quite as elegant with the angry look on his face. She shrunk back and his expression softened, eyeing her up and down.

"You were supposed to meet me an hour ago," he said.

"I'm ready," she told him. "Just got a little sidetracked."

Eli peered inside, seeing all the rejected clothes on the floor and the music playing.

"Let me just grab my purse," she said quickly. "You look handsome."

Eli didn't seem to know how to react, a little taken back by the sudden comment, but she turned away before he could respond. She shut the music off and grabbed the small handbag off the table, which was empty other than a tube of lipstick and some toilet paper to make it look fuller despite her lack of stuff to put in it. She kept checking herself in the reflection of the private shuttle, until Eli stopped her.

"Relax," he said. "You look nice."

"Is Gracie going to be there?" Mari asked him.

"No," he replied flatly.

"How come?"

"It's a long story."

"Then who's going to hang out with me all night?" Mari pouted.

For a second, Eli looked like he was going to say he'd hang out with her. Then he looked back out the window and shrugged.

"You're talkative," he said. "You'll make fast friends."

"I can't wait to meet Ella," Mari said.

Eli didn't reply, keeping his gaze out the window. When they arrived at the event, Mari couldn't believe her eyes. The place was booming with music and absolutely covered in rainbow glitter. There were exotic animal bots everywhere, each wearing diamond collars to match all the glitter. Eli quietly slipped away before anyone could greet him or even look at him, but Mari lingered behind to stare at everything in awe. People kept offering her appetizers off of trays that looked like they were made of crystal, and upon further investigation, saw that the servers were all androids with crystalline eyes.

Mari wandered around the hall like a child, staring at everything around her. She suddenly bumped into someone, nearly sending them both toppling to the ground. When they straightened up, Mari couldn't believe it. It was Ella Stellar, in the flesh. At that moment, her hair was a sea green color, and she wore a tight dress completely covered in real diamonds. She stared right back at Mari, a little startled at how starstruck she was.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," Mari stammered. "I didn't mean to bump into you- I mean- I'm just- Sorry, I'm just such a huge fan."

"I haven't seen you around here before," Ella said slowly. "Does security know you're here?"

"Oh, security knows all about me," Mari laughed nervously. "Not in a bad way, I mean. Like, they know me. Because I'm cool."

Ella cracked a half smile, putting a hand on her hip and glancing at her posse of equally glittery groupies behind her.

"Oh, this is so cute," Ella said. "She must have won a contest or something. I really wish they'd tell me before they invite terminally ill patients to my parties."

"What?" Mari frowned. "Oh, I'm not with a contest or anything-"

"So you snuck in," Ella finished.

"No, I'm-"

"You're not from around here, I know that," Ella smirked. "You're completely natural, which is weird. I would've gotten my nose done if I were you. Maybe some lip fillers, too. And the dark brown hair and dark brown eyes? Come on, it's the most boring thing you could do."

"But I-"

"Oh my god, are you from the lower levels?" Ella gasped, causing her friends to giggle. "Is this some kind of charity thing?"

"No! I'm here because I can be!" Mari protested.

"Here's a little bit of friendly advice," Ella said, putting her hands on Mari's shoulders. "Just because I'm a nice person. Get some mods. People like you need them the most. Who did your hair and makeup?"

"I did," Mari squeaked.

"Oh, honey," Ella sighed. "If you're going to try getting off the ground level, you need to try a little harder to not look like you're from ground level. Okay? Enjoy the party. Don't eat all the food. I saw you shoving onion rings into your mouth like no tomorrow. You'll get fat in all the worst places."

Ella flicked Mari's nose and strutted past her, leaving Mari unsure of what to do or say. She was absolutely crushed. Ella Stellar was like a hero to her. She was so sweet and giggly on the talk shows and her music videos. All of a sudden, Mari lost that princess feeling. She put on her jacket, suddenly feeling incredibly self-conscious about her dress, and sat down in a seat. A waiter offered her a miniature burger, but she declined. She fully intended on disappearing into a corner until the party ended.