Status: Finished <3

Gaia

Chapter Twenty-Three

In the minute it took for Eli to tell his story, Mari finally understood everything about why he was the way he was. It was terrible what happened to him. Something she wouldn't wish upon the worst person in the world. Still, she didn't understand what he wanted her to think about. The answer was obvious, after all. Eli needed her now, more than ever. As a friend, if not anything more. All those years he'd spent isolating himself had turned him into an ice sculpture, and Mari couldn't leave him after he'd started to melt a little because he'd just freeze back up.

She slumped back on the couch, looking around the room. There were bits and pieces of her everywhere, and if someone had just been visiting for the first time, they'd have thought she lived there. To ease her mind a little bit, she decided just to just pick up a little bit. And then a little more. Soon, she was on her hands and knees, scrubbing the kitchen floor out of stress. She didn't hear Reuben come up to her until he spoke, startling her.

“I will clean the house, Miss Gold,” he said. “Please, have a seat. Would you like me to bring you anything?”

“No, that's okay,” she sighed. “I clean when I'm stressed. I think I've got the place done already, anyway. Thanks, Reuben.”

Reuben gave her a slight bow before leaving her, and she took off her rubber gloves and put the cleaning supplies away. She leaned against the kitchen counter and closed her eyes. She wasn't sure how long she stayed like that, but it wasn't until the front door opened that she snapped back into reality. It must have been Eli, and she heard him take a few steps forward and freeze, probably looking at how clean the place was. She walked out of the kitchen with her arms crossed over her chest, hesitant to come out at first. Eli looked sort of sad at first, but his expression turned somewhat relieved when he saw her.

“All your stuff was gone,” he said. “I thought you packed up and left.”

“You've given me a great life up here,” Mari shrugged. “Why would I leave?”

He didn't answer, dropping his jacket on the couch, but quickly picking it back up and hanging it up in its proper place when Mari glared at him for ruining her spotless room.

“I think I know you a thousand times better, now,” Mari told him. “I wish I could take away your pain, but I can't. I'm going to do everything I can to help ease it, though.”

“You are?”

“Of course I am, Eli,” Mari sighed, walking towards him slowly as if she feared he'd run from her. “You know, you telling me this story was more than just that. The fact that you don't want me to get hurt means you sorta kinda care about me, even if you won't say it out loud. And you don't have to, because I already know. So no, I'm not going to just ditch you, because you need me here. Reuben doesn't count as a real friend, Eli.”

He just stared at her in surprise for a few moments. When she hugged him, he stiffened for a moment, then hugged her back. And boy, did he need the hug, even if he was too tough to admit it. He didn't say anything, but he kissed her, a lot more deeply than usual. It was all fun and games before, and never anything serious, but he wasn't fucking around this time. And neither was she, for that matter. At one point, Mari had to pull away because she forgot she needed to breathe, but even then she clung to him like her life depended on it.

“Careful,” she said breathlessly, “This sort of behavior is going to get us into trouble. Plus, Reuben is in the other room and I don't know if he can handle witnessing this.”

“Forget Reuben,” he grumbled, leaving a trail kisses down her jawline and neck. “I'll turn him off for an hour if you really need me to.”

It was hard to argue with that. He picked her up and carried her into the bedroom, laying her back against the pillows and climbing up next to her. Mari stopped him before he made another move, keeping her hands on his chest to hold him a little bit away.

“I don't mean to pressure you into anything,” she told him. “You know that, right?”

“Of course I do,” he said. “Are you feeling pressured?”

“No, I feel great,” she said.

“Good.”

.::.::.::.


It took a lot of convincing to make Andy start looking for a job in the upper levels. Maintenance and cleaning, if he wasn't qualified to do anything else. He was sitting there, scouring the Internet for someone who'd take him, when Mari came back with her hair somewhat missed and her cheeks flushed. He glanced up at her, smirked, and shook his head.

“You are so gross,” he said.

“I don't know what you're talking about,” Mari said, combing her fingers through her hair.

“I meant the fact that you've resorted to having a sugar daddy,” he said bluntly.

“Eli is not a sugar daddy,” she snapped. “Let alone my sugar daddy.”

“I never mentioned Eli,” he said. “So, you were with Eli?”

“Shut the fuck up, Andy,” she grumbled. “It's my business, not yours.”

“I'm just saying,” he shrugged. “He takes you out, pays for your dinner, and you come back looking like you might have accidentally gotten knocked up this time. And he's not your boyfriend, or so you claim.”

“Will you just stop?” Mari huffed. “I'm figuring it out. Today was… Different. There's a connection there, and I think he knows it too. I'm scared to ask him. I don't really want to say much more than that. I think there's some real potential for us to be something serious. I just need to not ruin it. I'm being careful.”

“Serious?” Andy asked, raising a brow. “Like, ‘go to a company Christmas party with him’ kind of serious?”

“I just have to be careful not to ruin everything like I always do,” she repeated. “For once in my life, things might work out.”