Status: Ongoing

The Sky Dancer

Chapter 11

A new group joined the festivities inside the room, the assemblage consisting of notable criminal circles turning their heads to the new arrivals.

After a bountiful session, Bakura’s followers gathered into the habitual tavern, those inside keeping their distance from the group and observing their movements with discretion. The prominent King of Thieves was not to be messed with if anyone had any regard for their own lives, the same rule applying to his followers.

One of them didn’t hesitate to ask for their rounds as they took a sit on their designated tables, the drinks arriving without delay by two of the young servants working among the clients. The terrorizing man was currently seated on a secluded side of the dark housing, a mug quenching his thirst while a woman rested on his lap with her lips brushing against the thief’s neck. Meanwhile, the subordinates amused themselves with their own drinks and games of knives, a couple of escorts joining the group in their delight.

It was an unusual sight to have the noted criminal so remote from his own men, a little tension surrounding the group as they kept to themselves.

Rumors traveled fast that the man disappeared for some time, only to return as swiftly with notable changes among his presence. His already intimidating appearance gain fierceness while his eyes carry a chilling pressure. His tactics, usually reserved to bounties of significant returns in royal graves, had taken a complete turn as his followers attacked and plundered villages among the country.

“I head the guy is gathering followers by the dozens.” One of the observers noted as he watched from afar, his group listening to the low tone of his words with interest. “If I didn’t know better it would almost seemed like he wants to go to war.”

“Forget about his plans, the guy gives me the creeps.” His companion answered with suspicion in his eyes. “You know he always looked intimidating but now it’s like…he really yearns for some blood bath or something.”

A sudden dry sound caught the attention of everyone inside, the woman that moments before was in the king’s lap was lying against the floor. She exhibited no sign of harm except her eyes, which displayed an unusual dread. The thief expressed his inconformity with her affections as he kept drinking undisturbed, his followers showing their perplexity of his master’s actions.

“Hey thief, you know the rules here.” A bulky criminal with dark skin announced from a nearby table. “You know better than to cause trouble in this place.”

Bakura watched indifferently with a careless posture, his sharp eyes barely rising from his pale bangs. The regulars took note of the lack of participation from the followers, the group always ready to jump into their master’s defense now barely raised their sights from their spot. Everything about them represented fear.

“I don’t recall,” the man spoke with a cold tone, his hand rising while a strange energy form between his fingers. “Asking for your opinion.”

The criminal felt every muscle contract, his blood freezing while a crawling sensation traveled through his massive frame. He couldn’t move nor breathe, cold sweat dripping from his body and his eyes threatening to escape through his sockets.

“Master don’t bother, he isn’t worth it.” A thief whispered with all courage he was able to muster as everyone watched the strong man falling to the floor, his hands clutching his head without the ability to scream. Every person around him fell back with haste as if the man himself contained an infectious disease.

The king displayed nothing but disdain on his features, releasing the spell only after the man eyes’ turned white as he lost consciousness.

It took only but a moment to realize what transpired, the unusual performance giving away the strange powers the thief acquired and the fear it incited by the abhorrent act.

Bakura let a smirk decorated his snake like features, the reaction he provoked to his little audience filling his body with excitement as a spine chilling chuckle traveled into the air.

________________________________________________________________________________

Mahado opened his eyes again as he released the magic concentrating on the digit of his fingers, his hand caressing the silver strand of Kisara’s velvet hair before returning to his side.

Seth and Malik waited patiently with unimpressed expressions as the priest finished examining the young heiress, the small vibration from the millennium ring fading almost to nonexistent.

“Thank you my lady, that would be all.” The priest mentioned with a cordial smile, his wise eyes turning in direction of her mentor. “Master Malik would you be so kind as to escort our lady for her tea time? I wouldn’t want to obstruct her schedule any further.”

Malik turned his sharp eyes to the councilor by his side who only gave a simple nod of approval.

“Of course your grace, please excuse us.” The man gave a brief respectful bow before offering his hand to the young girl.

Her clear eyes full of concern settled into her father who offered only a gentle gesture to dismiss her. She hesitated briefly before taking the hand of her teacher while this one helped her stand.

“So what is it?” The councilor asked urgently as the doors closed, both priests standing before each other.

“I’m sorry my friend.” The priest delivered heavily after an extended pause, not knowing how to hand the bad news to his colleague about his daughter’s case.

Seth’s eyes open in surprise before the final hit fell into his shoulders, his concern clear among his usual serene expression. He unexpectedly threw his arm with such force that every item in his desk flew with tremendous force, smashing and ripping the materials against the floor and nearby walls. Ink spread among the room as well as documents floating over the air before landing soundlessly on the ground.

“How could this be?” the man whispered almost to himself, his elegant fingers covering his lips as grief shadowed his visage. His arm rested against the empty desk supporting his tired frame.

“We knew that the probability of the Blue Eyes Dragon transferring to Kisara’s descendent was high.” The priest delivered as he felt the tremendous energy forming gradually inside the child. “I assure you there is no immediate danger, she has your blood as well after all and her constitution is healthy. We should be patient and just observe her for now.”

“You are telling me…” the man whispered as his bangs obscured his eyes, his tone deadly. “…to do nothing as that…thing, hosts inside my daughter?”

Mahado could only watch the royal grip his fists with a feeling of condolence, truly understanding the pain and suffering he was enduring. It was an excruciating time as they watched Kisara lying on a flowerbed, her pale complexion almost transparent and her beautiful features displaying a resigned rest while eternal sleep claimed her soul. She had been a loving mother and wife, a caring person who would disregard her own ailments to offer a helping hand. She was truly loved by all among the royal family and even servitude whom she always treated with the greatest kindness.

“Seth you know this better than myself.” The man answered, “Your wife’s ancestors have hosted that creature for centuries, we can only thank that Kisara hasn’t show any symptoms until now.”

The priest returned to his chair, almost dropping without care over the seat as he avoided the look of Mahado.

“She just wouldn’t listen to me.” He began, his tone unfamiliar taking the smooth man by surprise. “I told her the risk was too great and her body wouldn’t be able to handle the pregnancy, and yet she insisted that she wanted the baby no matter what.”

“We won’t let anything happen to her my friend.” Mahado offered, somehow not convinced the same situation of his previous wife applied to his daughter.

Seth didn’t offer any response as he truly resigned himself to a quiet contemplation, his eyes resting on the window as the day shined with splendor. It was a beautiful day and yet nothing could offer some consolation to the distressed father.

He really couldn’t bare loosing the most precious thing in his life for a second time, cursing the day Kisara’s ancestors performed a pact with a demon in their search of power.

Their female descendants paid the price of their life force to feed the dragon’s essence and allowed them to use a glimpse of its power at will. The powerful family suddenly faced a collapse when his wife managed to escape their grasp, turning into a beggar on the streets and catching the attention of the councilor when he was merely an apprentice so many years ago.

The man made a deep research of the creature and similar rituals performed in the past without success. His wife’s knowledge was limited and was able to offer little data in his quest to free her from that ancient curse. His efforts were fruitless and things had taken a turn for the worse after he found out Kisara was with child.

His brief happiness after the news met with an endless dread once he realized the destiny that awaited them both, old scars reviving the same feeling as his daughter encounter her unavoidable destiny.

________________________________________________________________________________

Mana danced cheerfully between the hall, true delight displayed all over her face while her limbs flew in every direction with her hand holding her correspondence from her master and Kisara.

Their absence had truly left her with an endless void as boredom and longing accompanied her day. Even Atemu spent no time with her after he was crowned new pharaoh, understanding that he was truly busy ruling his country.

She successfully managed to skip master Shimon’s lessons as she watched the beautiful day through the small windows of the stuffy study.

The pupil decided to enjoy herself by the gardens before a servant called for her attention and delivered the message brought by her own Ka. Her master’s writing in the letter lifted her spirits immediately and she rushed back into the structure in direction of her own room.

In her excitement the little pupil turned the corner without care, something striking her directly into the face and making her lose her balance.

The pain came in sharp waves while the girl massaged her bruised forehead, her eyes opening slowly as a painful complaint accompanied her own protests.

“I’m so sorry are you all right?” A beautiful clear voice filled with concern approached her instantly.

“Sorry it was my fault I didn’t see where…” Mana couldn’t finish her sentence as her gaze finally spotted the source of her accident.

A breathtaking beauty appeared so close to her face, a blush decorating her cheeks while her features presented a silly expression. For a girl used to the dashing figures of the royal family, it was unusual the astonishment it brought by the sight of a handsome boy with skin as clean as moonlight and eyes the color of lotus.

“I hope I didn’t hurt you.” He mentioned as his delicate fingers caressed her bruised brow, the soft feeling making Mana’s blood rush to her ears in embarrassment.

“No I’m ok! I get bruises on my head all the time don’t worry!” The girl rumbled as she pushed her body away from the prince, his scent somehow stuck on her skin and refreshing her senses.

“I must have been day dreaming, couldn’t see where I was going.” Yugi explained while picking the girl’s letters and hanging them to her, the volumes from the royal library back into the safety of his arms.

“Thank you.” Mana recovered her letters and put them inside the safety of the pocket in her dress, a rushing thought hitting her as she remembered the shade of those amethyst orbs.

“Wait, aren’t you the dancer that performed on Pegasus banquet?”

Yugi’s eyes froze on her face before a blush of his own portrayed on his cheeks. He didn’t expect the recognition, but then again, he was getting used to the unexpected developments happing lately.

“I hope my performance pleased you.” He offered almost in a whisper, the sweet apprentice offering a dazzling smile as her eyes sparkled.

“It was wonderful! I really couldn’t believe it, you were amazing!” Mana squealed in delight, surprising the young prince who somehow couldn’t stop an angelic giggle from escaping his lips. The wild pupil also smiled, her shyness replaced by a warm feeling in her chest as she saw the delicate expression of the dancer.

“I’m Mana!” she introduced herself.

“Pleased to meet you Mana, I’m Yugi.” The prince returned the greeting, perplexed by the air of familiarity that the young girl was able to inflict on him.

The pupil wanted to ask a few more questions to the handsome boy and invite him to join her before her gaze fell over a massive figure of a royal guard. He approached with a threatening air, the man taking the prince’s attention with a serious tone.

“I must leave.” Yugi explained, his face displaying a modest distress. “Again I apologize for bumping into you like that.”

With courteous movements the prince offered a helping hand to the apprentice before he dismissed himself with a subtle incline of his head.

The soldier walked not far behind him, the elegant figure of the dancer disappearing behind the corner of the hall.

The apprentice couldn’t help the curiosity that sprout inside her for his new friend’s situation, a part of her dying on the inside for answers. She made a note to ask master Shimon the details, a worried concern surfacing her heart for the reaction that manifested over Yugi’s frame as he walked away from her.

________________________________________________________________________________

“I hope your injury is healing promptly your grace. It would be a shame to leave a scar in your dashing complexion over a mere training session.” Pegasus offered as his delicate hands worked on the platter before him with the precision of a surgeon. He was dressed in a fine arrangement of a Roman tunic of olive pigment, his long hair loose on his back that move with the fluency of silk.

The royal invited his guest into a private lunch to discuss the matters of their investment, the beautiful oasis decorated with rich scents as the fauna flourished before the beginning of the raining season.

“It would only be an addition to the collection in my body my friend.” The pharaoh answered while his bandaged arm raised a cup of fresh water to his lips.

“I can only imagine, yet one’s admiration can only grow for a monarch who fought for the sake of his country.” The man offered a compliment, his eyes turning a bit obscure as well as his tone. “Between ourselves, our own government could learn a few tips from yourself.”

“After Julius’ incident the situation back in Rome seems unsettled.” Atemu mentioned, his annoyance for table manners never displaying in his smooth visage as he indulged on the exquisite meal.

“It wasn’t a skim of just a few, regrettably he lost the support of his own people long before the chaos erupted.” The patron expressed with regret.

“It is lamentable, the man was a courageous warrior and he truly devoted himself to his people.” The monarch offered, not willing to speak ill of any man whom he never had the opportunity to meet. Rumors and news spread quickly and many times the information itself could be altered far from the original source.

“But let us not speak of ill stories.” The flamboyant entrepreneur expressed while fanning the thoughts away with a shake of his pale hands. “After all we finally managed to secure the funds and this should restore Nubia’s residents into a humane condition for starters.”

“Something no one else but you could have accomplished.” The sovereign offered with a handsome smirk. “Restoring our former rival will secure profitable results for Khemet as well.”

“Indeed, and besides the earnings the prestige itself will open many roads of possibilities for trading with additional kingdoms.”

“We can only hope.” The royal man expressed sincerely. “Everyone has suffered enough because of Sulum’s rule.”

A servant girl approached to offer more wine as soon as the royal guest raised his cup for a refill. He had taken notice of the pharaoh’s unusual request for something else besides alcohol and the fair shine of his clear ruby eyes. If it were possible the merchant considered the sovereign look far more dashing than usual, the source not related to the becoming choice of his fine attire.

“On a more personal matter I trust your stay here in the palace has been to your liking.” The man mentioned taking a modest piece of chicken with skillful cuts of his knife.

“Oh it has been delightful! I’m very grateful for your hospitality.” The man offered sincerely. “Even now I still cannot take my mind off from that banquet and that wonderful performance.”

Atemu felt a sudden tension reach his back, not wishing to shift the conversation to his Nubian lover’s presentation.

He had requested the boy’s presence and attentions on a daily basis, enjoying the tempting delights offered by prince. Somehow he seemed reluctant to give himself completely, which only encouraged the pharaoh in his efforts.

“Well then you certainly must join me on a boat trip at the Ar River, the scenery is quite lovely at this time of the season.” The royal suggested, allowing a successful change of the proscribed subject.

“That is a wonderful idea!” the man answered excitedly, his eyes suddenly spotting an approaching servant who bowed to the ruler and offered a message to his ear alone.

After dismissing the servant Atemu touched his lips with his own napkin as those radiant eyes turned into his patron’s direction. “I must excuse myself my friend but there are some matters I must attend to.”

“By all means your grace, I thank you for your time.” Pegasus stood along the sovereign and offered a humble bow before the royal took his leave into the palace.

The standing guards opened the doors of his study as he arrived with a serious template.

His eyes fell into the tall frame of his trusted servant who faced the sovereign as he entered the room.

“Pharaoh Atemu.” The priest bowed deeply before the ruler extended his hand in a familiar gesture, returning the firm shake and followed by a brief embrace.

“It’s good to have you back Shada.” The ruler offered a chair for the man before his desk, the tired character accepting the kind gesture without hesitation.

“It’s good indeed to be back home your grace. Things have been engaging in Nubia for the past months.” Shada took a seat with prudence, his traveling clothes still dressing his athletic build. “I must apologize for my appearance.”

Atemu took notice of the tired assemblage his friend presented, his thoughts recalling the reports Shada sent throughout the months missing careful details that he wasn’t able to fully deliver through paper messages. He only needed a glance of his appearance to understand how chaotic things must have been after the post-war duties requiring their attention of their new custody state.

“I suppose you wanted to speak to me before arranging a meeting with the council members.” The pharaoh suggested, his arms resting over the desk.

“Indeed your highness.” Shada answered with an obvious amount of information ready to be delivered to the man for an appropriate solution. “The news I bring are both bureaucratic and of a more personal nature, neither of them good reports I’m afraid.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yu-Gi-Oh! Is the property of Kazuki Takahashi, and are not Spellcraft Writings’ intellectual property. This is for entertainment purposes only. No financial gain was made from this nor will any be sought.