Status: Ongoing

The Sky Dancer

Chapter 13

A docile fox purred softly against its master’s lap, the little creature moving skillfully between the pair of youths inside the massive library.

The Ka climbed into Yugi’s shoulders while rubbing its silky face against his cheek, dropping between his arms and closing its eyes while enjoying the gentle caresses of the prince’s velvet fingers.

“The first time I saw a demon, it was nothing like this one.” He admitted to the delighted apprentice while she enjoyed the reactions of her friend’s face.

“There are all kinds of Kas living in a parallel world of our own.” She explained while petting the golden coat of the creature, brimming with a soft glow and soothing warmth. “They can only be summoned by forming a contract with them, the stronger it is the more essence and skill it requires from the conjurer.”

“There weren’t any conjurers back in Nubia.” The prince admitted with a note of disappointment. “The closest link we had with magic was during festival seasons when travelers came to offer entertainment shows and I know they were nothing but tricks compared to what you shown me.”

Mana wasn’t surprised by the revelation, laying her hands over her crossed legs. Although it was a long time before she was born, Khemet had struggled with unusual appearances of demons that brought chaotic results for the population. His master had theorized that the significant growth of individuals with magical capabilities was merely a natural mechanism to defend against the growing casualties, most of them concentrated in their local area.

“A long time ago this creatures used to come to this world along our deities whenever they pleased through celestial bridges and gates.” The apprentice explained before making a pause. “Are you familiar with those stories?”

Yugi gave a gentle nod of his head, his golden bangs caressing the counters of his cheeks as he listened with eagerness.

“Well what I know is that our race tried to dominate the power of the gods and submit all familiars to their will. It was a long and bloody war that almost extinguished the life itself of our world.” The young girl explained with a look of cataclysm, her gestures aiding the severity of her narration.

“My mother once told me about a young girl that sacrificed herself to appease the divine beings.” Yugi offered, recalling the stories of his childhood with fondness.

“That is right.” Mana said with a congratulant note as she continued her tale. “She performed a ritual that sealed the gates so no mortal or deity could ever cross paths again.”

“Yet this land holds sorcerers that can achieve that.” The prince pointed out for clarification, his gaze full of perplexity.

“That’s because Atemu’s father created the millennium items after Ka’s found ruptures to our world and caused a lot of destruction. He spent most of his youth fighting those creatures and enlisted many candidates with magical skills for our cause.” Mana explained as if expecting that question long before.

Yugi’s gaze exhibited a mournful feeling, recalling the awful creatures that killed hundreds during the attack of the capital the day he was imprisoned. He could still remember the monstrous strength the demons possessed as they charged into the city’s edifices and temples in their rampage, crushing their victims with massive steps.

“I see now why Khemet declared his independence from King Sulum with the power of these beings on their side.” He mentioned as the tiny fox continued to purr in his arms. “It is sad that they were force to hurt so many during the battle.”

The apprentice made a curious frown at the unforeseen comment, a part of her agreeing that it was horrible that their powers had been used as a war weapon. She could only imagine the horrors the citizens had encounter during the invasion, her concern growing inside her chest as she watched the tragedy dressing Yugi’s eyes at the recollection.

She instantly took his hand between hers, the lilac orbs resting in her expression as she reflected her anguish.

“What happened?” She asked in a hush tone, wondering if she was overstepping her friend’s confidence as her curiosity overruled her best judgment. “How did you end up here?”

The youth felt a heavy force sink on his chest, somehow taken aback by the sudden question. The seal over his words had faded slightly after the pharaoh’s confession on his part of the game. A deep part him sought an ally in his time of exile, risking nothing by trusting the apprentice and sharing the events that brought him there. Furthermore, his situation only turned for the worse after recognizing his feelings for his own captor, a twisted and desperate awareness stealing the attention of his actions.

Coincidently after his strange dream, the man ceased requesting his presence for several days and the prince witnessed different women taking his place and serving the monarch. He once notice a beautiful Egyptian girl leaving the study, dressing back her nude form on the hall while he returned from the gardens. He couldn’t digest anything that night and requested some privacy while an agonizing pressure crushed his chest.

He was furious for allowing himself to develop feelings for his enemy, bitterness and betrayal making his tiny frame shake in frustration.

The Ka in his arms raised his ears in alertness and made a little hiss as it escaped into its master’s lap, sensing a threatening atmosphere and seeking refuge on those slim sun-kissed arms.

“So this is where you been hiding?” A deep voice caught their attention, both teens raising their heads toward its direction. Mana’s face quickly displayed a sullen look toward her instructor while Yugi displayed calm neutrality.

“Master Shimon.” The prince greeted with politeness, his aristocratic grace fuelling his attempts to show control over his own person.

“Your highness.” The priest offered a respectful bow. “It pleases me greatly to find you in good health.”

“I wanted to thank you for arranging my admission to this place and the gardens.” The little one offered as he released Mana’s hand with discretion, his uncertainty concealed under his royal template. “I admit I had some doubts after experiencing so many devastating disappointments.”

Shimon raised his thick eyebrows slightly as he felt the dim hostility in the prince’s tone, a heavy expression showing in his wise eyes as he attributed it on the previous experiences toward their political guest.

“I see you already met my apprentice, who should be attending her lessons presently.” The old man added a note of sarcasm at the end of his sentence, looking at the girl who only pouted in return.

Yugi couldn’t help the faint smile that graced his lovely face as his eyes rested on his friend, rising smoothly to his feet and offering a helping hand.

“Then I should probably take my leave.” The prince’s single escort raised as well in the background, ready to follow the child before this one was stopped by the old councilor.

“Just a moment your grace.” The man requested while raising his hand in a pausing signal, those lilac eyes focusing on his person with a curious expression. “I was told I would find you here and wanted to extend an invitation of an exclusive magical tournament for our royal guest’s entertainment.”

“Does that mean I get to go too?” Mana asked with a glee displayed in her face, looking at the councilor with a hopeful feeling.

“I simply cannot agree on my pupil missing so many lessons.” The man raised an eyebrow while speaking with a sermonic tone. “Yet I believe you can use this opportunity to watch other masters perform the summoning arts and learn from this experience.”

“Oh thank you master!” The girl gave a brief embrace to the man who chuckle at the unexpected sign of affection.

The prince felt an uncertain dread after receiving the invitation, his heart beating at a rapid speed as he envisioned the pharaoh looking at him from the distance. He wasn’t ready to face him yet, too many emotions clashing against him while the sour taste of betrayal still lingered in his mouth. He had no claim over him and he was free to chase after whatever woman he desired, yet the shame of his behavior and actions toward the monarch only rubbed a stinging feeling over the wound.

“Thank you councilor but I don’t think my presence would be appropriate.” The prince explained, trying to save the slim pride he still retained and reluctant to fade into the background so he could never catch the eye of the lecherous ruler again.

“Forgive me your grace but you are our honored guest and have just as much right as anyone to go wherever you please.” The man explained with a skeptical expression, Mana’s curious sight rested over the prince at the mention of the comment. Yugi noticed this and cleared his throat, trying to avert the questions he didn’t feel like answering at the moment.

“Yes but…” The teen continued before the old priest interrupted him again.

“I hope you forgive me but I took the liberty to arrange an outfit for the occasion.” The man cleverly intervened while pushing the teens softly toward the exit, the prince’s guard following just behind them.

“Yugi please join us, you will love it!” Mana requested excitedly, her tiny fox balancing its body between her shoulders.

“We will be comfortably seated in one of the royal boxes to enjoy the tournament and it offers some privacy from the members of the court.” Shimon mentioned casually as they reached the hall, a simple attempt to waver the uncertainty from the prince’s mind.

Shimon’s offer was tempting and he truly desired to watch the magical skills of conjurers after getting a glimpse of Mana’s skills. Nevertheless, he was still reluctant of been close to the sovereign again and the possibilities of what he could encounter.

I suppose… I could attend for a little while.

________________________________________________________________________________

The trace of shadows obscured the tent’s walls and displayed an illusion of the nightly hours, the only source of light materialized from a burning candle with its dancing flame disturbed by the whispers of the dark conjure.

Mahado’s Millennium Ring hummed faintly in the background surrounded by a soft violet shine, the cold influence contained from emerging into the land by the dark magician. Cold sweat dripped from his brow and his closed eyelids focused on the vision miles away from his position, casting significant energy toward his shadow as it moved his consciousness from his body.

They traveled among the nation looking for the cult’s main characters, their efforts leading them toward the forgotten nation of Kul Edna at the edge of Khemet’s and Nubia’s border. The trace was confirmed after they spotted several groups camping over the city, his escort hidden under the protection of a distant ridge.

The candle’s glim went off after Mahado opened his eyes, his own shadow returning to his body by a simple command, the traces of dark essence dissolving until only the soft light of Ra glowed though the walls of his tent.

The man resigned himself to his dire suspicions of the group’s hidden headquarters, the nestled worry growing as the evidence guided their steps to the road between the borders.

Kul Edna was a forbidden region decreed by pharaoh Aknamkanon twenty harvests past after the accident that erased every presence of the city. Their own forces received a heavy casualty by deadly Kas while those demons, weak enough to remain in the new dimension, took over several of the victims’ bodies and overruled their will.
The former pharaoh intervened after the news reached the capital, sustaining heavy injuries that almost cost him his life after they returned and introducing the recent millennium items.

Without hesitation the priest stepped outside after his surveillance, facing the group of soldiers seated in scatter groups waiting for orders. His commander reported immediately as he spotted the tall priest, the simple protection of his armor divulging no sound as he walked in his direction.

“How does it look my lord?” The man inquired once he reached him, his tone speaking with discretion.

“Just as we thought, they taken shelter on the city.” The priest informed while resting his hand over the ring, the proximity of the old calamity awakening the ardor of the loathing item.

“Should we return to the capital and inform the councilor?” The Egyptian man offered, looking into the distant center with calculating eyes.

“We have no concept of their numbers or who is leading them. I’m taking a guess they are underground but my shadow cannot reach them.” The priest explained, walking toward the edge of their camp seeking more privacy.

“Do you suspect they have sorcerers with them?” The commanded inquired with a note of concern.

The priest admitted his suspicions, pausing his steps as they reached a high point of their camp for a clear view of the area. “I felt traces of magic surrounding the city, they must have spells to alert them of intruders.”

“What do you suggest?” The man asked with deep tone while Mahado contemplated a plan in his head, a long pause filling the space and no visible movements coming from the distant city.

“We will infiltrate tonight after I deactivate some of the traps they set around the camp, make sure we have a messenger ready to deliver a full report.” The priest turned his deep eyes to the official, an uncomfortable feeling building in his chest by the ominous impression coming from the clouded road they were following.

“As you say my lord.” The commander showed a respectful sign after orders were delivered, returning to the center of the camp with soundless steps.

________________________________________________________________________________

Yugi felt a cold drop of sweat travel at the back of his neck, his slender frame seated next to the excited pupil as he tried to overlook the unwanted attention from conspicuous royals around him. The choice of his attire had been nothing close to discreet even among the several elegant garments of the aristocratic group.

His pale skin contrasted with a beautiful piece of royal blue color, the skirt reaching his knees and opening slightly to expose his thighs. A heavy belt of golden adornments and a lighter blue fabric covered his middle with thousands of detailed designs stitched to the hems.

The same single piece of the attire dressed the upper part of his body with a massive chest ornament covering his chest and shoulders, the light of the outside gleaming softly over the rich cerulean mineral of the jeweled beetle in the center.

Even his legs and arms were dressed with thin golden bracelets that reached his elbows and knees, his feet clothed by soft golden sandals.

His servants had enjoyed the result of their efforts back in his room after they finished handling his hair, his golden bangs caressing his cheeks while the rest was arranged in a tall ponytail decorated with a golden band, the crimson edges reaching the naked spot of his nape.

His back was completely exposed when he turned around the mirror, his own embarrassment showing on the rosy tint of his face and cursing the advisor for taking the liberty of choosing the provocative attire.

He almost gave up on the whole idea of going to the event before the siblings watched the beautiful details of his tunic, their eyes shinning with a gleam of happiness and admiration. He reluctantly accepted their quiet praises and thanked them for helping him before his personal guard collected him.

The pharaoh was seated over the royal podium with his roman guest by his side, all members of the council absent from the event.

“Yugi look!” Mana took his hand while pointing toward the arena, stealing his attention from the sovereign as he watched an attractive young figure heading for the center.

Women screamed loudly as the young magician greeted the audience, bowing respectfully toward the pharaoh who only raised his hand in a gesture of acknowledgment.

“He seems popular.” The prince mentioned to his friend, inspecting the man with a closer detail.

His skin resembled the honey-like shade of the Egyptian race, dressed in a scarlet vest that exposed his midriff with loose black pants. He used simple ornaments of leather bracelets with carved details and a hand-stitched bandana that kept his rave-shade locks from obscuring his sight. The emerald pigment of his eyes was highlighted by the deep shade of kohl on his eyes, giving him a more intimidating presentation.

“He is Devlin, a very popular conjurer from the Arabic coasts.” The girl offered with the frenzy of a fanatic. “He is the first foreign sorcerer and not only is he handsome but he is really strong!”

“If only she spent as much time in her studies rather than fanning over boys she wouldn’t skip my lessons so regularly.” Shimon mentioned with a prudent tone, rubbing the wrinkle from his brow with a solemn expression.

Yugi smiled softly before turning his attention to a new individual who stopped next to his opponent and delivered his respects to the pharaoh before rising.

The man had delicate features with beautiful golden eyes and a curtain of aqua hair that reached the back of his calves. His popularity seemed to affect not just women but even men as they cheered for the sorcerer with effusiveness.

“The undefeated champion against the skilled rookie, this will surely be an interesting match.” The priest offered while crossing his arms with new interest displayed in his eyes. “Are you familiar with monster duels my lord?’

The prince shook his head in denial, taking note of the change of his title as the councilor tried to keep his real identity from the surrounding crowd.

“The rules are simple, each sorcerer summons Kas to fight in their place and those who manage to disable his opponent first wins the duel. They are allowed to use spells and traps to defend their monsters and themselves, even summon several Kas at the same time. Of course it’s an unpopular play since it drains a lot of essence from the player.” The priest explained before the teen made a little sign of disapproval.

“Isn’t it cruel to use this creatures to fight for entertainment?” Yugi asked while looking directly at the old master. The man smiled polity and approached the teen to speak with more prudence.

“It is a fair point your grace, however the scales are well balanced for this sort of sports since every hit received by the creature also afflicts the player. It is forbidden to cause a mortal hit to the Kas since it risks the life of the summoners as well.”

The excited screams broke their conversation as the duel began, both players offering a cordial shake of hands before standing on the opposite sides of the arena.

“It’s finally going to start!” Mana screamed in frenzy, the prince finding amusement in the contrast of her elegant outfit with her wild excitement. Perhaps it was her natural cheer and radiant personality that drew his confidence to open up, the drastic change making him smile unconsciously.

The young monarch spared a last look toward the podium before focusing on the battle, looking at the pharaoh raised his arm and the sound of a horn inciting the atmosphere of the crowd.

Both duelists summoned their powers with sharp breezes surrounding their frames. Dartz’s eyes gleamed with confidence and called a surprising beast that sprung from the earth along a blinding light that blurred the ambience. Yugi lower his arm after the beryl glow faded, revealing hideous giant with a small head and brutish muscles that roared defiantly after its appearance.

The crow cheered by the efficient cast of the first move, the rookie Devlin showing no concern for the hideous monster before him and summoning a creature of his own. A tall figure covered in black appeared shortly after Dartz’s conjure, the frame resembling much to a human being.

“I don’t understand, why would he summon such scant demon to fight against that giant? There is no way he could defeat him.” The prince asked perplexed looking to the advisor next to him.

“Dartz’s monster looks impressive but don’t be deceived by its appearance your grace. His strategy is mostly defensive and very dangerous. He likes to gamble his changes against his opponents and mislead them into thinking they have the advantage.” The old man explained without taking his eyes from the duel. “See?”

Devlin’s warrior seemed weak but he was nothing short from fast after the conjurer ordered him to attack his opponent. The agile creature flew with the speed of lightening and manifested sharp daggers that sank into the monster’s throat after an impressive jump.

The Ka disappeared in a cloud of ashes before it hit the ground, Devlin’s summon back to his side and waiting calmly for his master’s next command. The Arabian man smiled with confidence while Dartz remained undisturbed by the disappearance of his summon.

Everything seemed to point toward the victory of the rookie before he covered his eyes from a sharp wind, his raven bangs flying wildly and his balance threaten by a strange change in the air. The crowd also protected itself from the gale and the giant sprung from the earth making rocks and sand fly in every direction, the audience protected by an unseen shield that dissolved the rubble.

Dartz eyes and brow manifested an emerald glow with a strange circular pentagram tattooed on his skin, summoning a magical force that affected his opponent’s summon.

The speedy demon almost fell to its knees, showing an evident strain in his body and ignoring the calls of his concerned master.

Yugi watched perplexed as Devlin’s own creature turned against him, the same pentagram glowing on his black mask and raising his weapon toward his master. The prince closed his lilac eyes thinking he might kill the duelist while his own fingers grasped Mana’s tiny hand with force.

Devlin remained unharmed and stopped his own monster from attacking, vines sprouting from the ground impeded the movement of the rebellious creature. Women cheered for the quick response of the handsome sorcerer, the man himself displaying a furious glare toward his opponent for the shady tactic.

“Smart kid, he is quite talented and quick at thinking at his feet.” The councilor congratulated next to his storming pupil, Mana’s cheers reaching the handsome rookie while degrading his opponent.

The young man closed his fist and extinguished the presence of his creature, leaving him exposed before the giant.

Dartz didn’t hesitate to order an attack using the opportunity created by his clever tactic, the monster raising his heavy arms to crash the opponent before him. The attack was so extensive it raised a veil of dust that clouded everyone’s eyes from the arena after the monster smashed his limbs to the earth.

“He fell for it.” Mana whispered without taking her eyes from the spot, their area protected from the massive hit. Yugi turned to look at Mana who smiled confidently unlike the rest of Devlin’s fans, likewise Shimon seemed unusually calm among the tensed atmosphere waiting to have a clear vision of the result.

No trace of Duke remained as the dust cleared, only a pair of vast holes punched deep into the ground. Dartz closed his eyes and exhaled a deep breath at what seemed an apparent result, somehow unconcerned that he managed to eliminate his enemy.

The conjurer raised his arm ready to call his summon back to the shadow realm, his eyes opening unexpectedly and mustering a shield that blocked a lightening attack headed for his direction.

The audience cheered after Devlin’s demon appeared with a grand entrance, pushed back by the force of his opponent’s shield and landing skillfully at the facing side of the arena.

There was still no sign of the young conjurer as the Ka charged into the giant with an impressive jump, sending flying daggers around the monster with skilled precision. Dartz own disbelief reflected on his golden gaze, uncertain of his next movement as the quick shadow revealed a spell with complex movements of his hands and arms. The trap’s surroundings manifested a blazing inferno from the sinking earth where the daggers landed. His rival’s body displayed an agonizing pain as he bent slightly, no opening given by his keen opponent that hindered his defense. A scarlet gleam flashed between the shadow’s hands, freezing the opposing sorcerer and annulling his spell.

The monster roared in agony from the blazing torture, the heat of the flames reaching the audience without harming them.

Devlin remained nowhere to be found as Dartz dropped on his knee, his handsome face twisted in pain and reluctantly raising a shaky hand in a sign of surrender.

The fire disappeared without a trace as well as the creature, Devlin’s shadow landing before his opponent and lifting his hand into his face. The crowd screamed in disbelief as Devlin’s smirk appeared behind the black mask, the fabric dissolving in smoke as well as the rest of attire surrounding the conjurer.

“Amazing, he successfully managed to fused with his own Ka.” The councilor applauded with sincere impression in his eyes, the prince joining the cheers with a happy smile in his face while the apprentice didn’t hesitate to show her thrill with screams and whistles.

The handsome raven head offered a helping hand to his opponent, watching the man’s gesture filled with resignation and accepting the aid as he got back on his feet. A pause extended between them before congratulating the rookie, a quiet dignity in his features earning the admiration of the concerned fans.

Yugi turned to look at the pharaoh expecting to follow a congratulating protocol, his eyes opening with disbelief as he faced the ruby gaze looking him directly among the crowd. His heart jumped to a frenetic beat while his shy expression flew into his lap, concentrating on the exquisite details of his attire.

Did he see me? The teen asked himself repeatedly hoping the priest’s build next to him managed to concealed his presence. He cursed the silly attention his outfit attracted, Mana’s inevitable cheers aiding the focus from the sovereign.

Gathering some valor the teen raised his amethyst orbs into the royal box again, surprised that no presence of the monarch or his guest remained before the empty chairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yu-Gi-Oh! Is the property of Kazuki Takahashi, and are not Spellcraft Writings’ intellectual property. This is for entertainment purposes only. No financial gain was made from this nor will any be sought.