Status: Ongoing

The Sky Dancer

Chapter 14

A metallic sound distracted the convicts from their quiet reflections, the wood color gaze of the pale servant rising with a disinterest look. Two cell guards escorted the prominent figure of the old councilor toward the center of the room, the guard on duty rising with a courteous bow and waiting for orders.

The man offered a gentler expression to the young prisoner, taking into account the fading of the bruises on his face.

"Hetep Hena Ten." The priest greeted, which the man barely acknowledged.

“Came to finally finish with me?” The teen asked with a dark look, shadows obscuring his visage with an uncaring attitude.

“Not today, the pharaoh granted a special pardon for you.” Shimon informed with patience, clearing his throat before continuing. “He believes you can return to your former duties as the prince’s personal servant as long as you abide to our conditions.”

Life returned to Ryou’s beautiful features, his young age reflecting innocence and surprise as he turned his gaze into the councilor’s direction.

“What?” He couldn’t help to ask as his hands grasped the cold bars of his cell.

“We will secure your actions through a restrictive spell, any rebellious act will immediate terminate your life and the prince will also be punished for your actions.” The man instructed with a severe tone, his point reaching the servant who agreed with a simple nod of his head. “I hope you understand neither you nor our guest will receive a second opportunity.”

Ryou rose painfully to his feet, not bothering to plan a next move as joy filled his chest after the news. He only cared to be next to his master and protect him, anything besides that could wait.

“I understand.” The teen answered with a serious resonance.

“Go ahead.” The old man commanded turning his gray-haired head to the escort next to him, one of the soldiers moving toward the prisoner with a firm step.

________________________________________________________________________________

The silent figures of the priest and spies managed to infiltrate the border of the ruins, their frames as silent and quick as shadows overlooking the distant bonfires surrounded by criminal groups.

No animal or trace of silver moonlight conflicted their assault, their muted steps taking them toward safe points that concealed their presence as they observed their enemy with tension on their backs.

Mahado spotted the number of bandits spread among the surface, feeling several entities in underground tunnels from the massive temple located at the center of the necropolis. The priest’s palm held his commander’s shoulder as his ancient eyes pointed toward the location.

“Can your shade reach it?” The man whispered in low tones, their subordinates’ attention glancing the same direction.

The priest calculated the distance from their objective, spotting the nearby sentinels guarding the surroundings from the rooftops of the broken buildings. He noticed the presence of some remaining traps among the streets, not wishing to raise suspicion by disbanding any more than necessary.

“We must reach the temple, if I cast a spell here it will give away our location.” The man announced turning his face toward his group. He pointed the sentinels in the distance and authorized an order of execution.

The assassin’s acknowledged the silent command and moved toward the targets with swift speed into the brume of the dark.

Both sentinels moved carelessly over the dry rock of ceilings with bored expressions, seeking any sort of movement among the distance while one of them tossed his weapon between his hands.

A sharp hand managed to capture the bandit’s lower face silencing his protests as his eyes flew open by surprise. The firm strength prevented any alarm while his hands flew toward his attacker’s arm in reflex, a sharp cut in his neck dripped his life away as the body fell limply against the assailant.

The canny signal of an owl’s howl moved the fixed group between the streets, avoiding any suspicion and dispensing among the alleys while avoiding detection and hiding the bodies among the empty houses.

Mahado and the remaining group of two more agents reached entry with hasty looks over their shoulders, the guards speaking among themselves while disregarding the undisturbed entrance.

The priest fell his millennium ring’s spirit calling restlessly, synchronizing with the restless spirits haunting the area. He fell a negative energy around him similar to the essence of the items as his own recognized its birthplace. Another presence was also circulating deeper into the temple, a cold chill breaking against his skin.

Mahado turned toward his companions and signaled their ways to patrol the area, careful and attentive to the distant voices coming from around the structure.

All his surroundings were heavily damaged as the elements claimed the temple, its walls and gravel broken and spread among the floor while the once exquisite details of the fine murals now lay in an irreparable state.

His eyes, used to the dark surroundings, detected several individuals ahead of him. A dim light in the distance marked his objective as the man moved soundlessly against the walls.

““…monarchs would never understand the pain of loosing everything. Your home, your family, even your own life been at the mercy of those who were born with a title! What makes them so different from us?” Bakura yelled before a numerous crowd, his followers cheering in compliance with the thief’s words.

The priest couldn’t help his surprise as he watched the notorious thief, known for his extraordinary tactics of looting the sacred resting places of the pharaoh’s ancestors. He once managed to infiltrate the castle and deliver the mummified remains of an unknown antecedent, getting away undetected several years past.

“I will have them taste the bitterness of losing what they hold dearest in this world!” Bakura yelled venomously. “DEATH TO THE PHARAOH! DEATH TO THE TRAITORS! KHEMET. IS. OURS!”

“HUZZAH!” Criminals yelled raising their weapons and arms in unison.

A sudden hold of Mahado’s shoulder drew his attention toward the intruder, his quick reflexes reaching the neck of the assailant with a sharp dagger against his commander’s throat.

The man raised his hands in surrender as the priest released him without delay.

“We have a problem.” The man informed rubbing the area where the cold metal touched him, a paling shade against his skin reflecting the seriousness behind his tone.

“How many?” The priest asked with firmness, bracing for the answer he didn’t wish to hear.

It took a moment for the commander to recover his voice, aware his answer would unchain a series of events that would change the course of their history.

“This is only a percentage of their numbers my lord.” The man explained, sweat dripping from the surface of his face. “Khemet will face another war soon.”

The dark conjurer felt a massive blow, his thoughts recalling the face of his best friend and the massive effort it took for him to achieve peace. He couldn’t afford to fight another war while both nations were still recovering from the last conflict, no manpower or the advantage of their millennium items at their disposal to even defend themselves from their enemy.

“Let’s return.” His deep voiced commanded, both figures frozen on the spot as they faced a barrier of raised lances pointed on their direction.

“I’m afraid you bunch are not going anywhere.” A dark man with missing teeth and menacing look faced them with worn sword as he obstructed their escape.

Mahado clenched his teeth in hatred, cursing his failure to detect the presence of their adversaries. One of them delivered a brutish punch that knocked the commander’s body into the floor, the others trying to suppress the priest’s massive frame unsuccessfully.

The priest’s shadow escaped through the gaps between the band’s feet, unaware of the shade as it escaped into the darkness of the night while his master finally lay restricted by his captors.

________________________________________________________________________________

“Wasn’t that amazing?” The apprentice asked as they returned to the palace, both the councilor and the prince still recovering from the ringing on their ears after the endless cheers from the untamed girl.

“Yes it was marvelous.” Yugi acknowledged, his body still feeling the thrill of the magical battle as well as the concern over the monarch’s look.

“I can’t believe he manage to fuse with his own Ka, I mean that is something unheard of!” She continued a few steps ahead of the pair, drawing the attention of passing figures walking among the hall.

“Yes that is right child, now please compose yourself.” The councilor instructed with infinite patience, his steps coming to a stop as he spotted his former apprentice approaching in their direction. Shada seemed to have been looking for someone and didn’t hesitate to reach them as soon as his serene eyes located the councilor.

“Devlin usually uses traps and clever spells against his opponent instead of the Ka but he sure loves to gamble his chanc-“ Mana didn’t notice the priest’s figure as she rambled absently, her back bumping against his body.

“I apologize master.” The child quickly bowed after she recovered her balance, all her glee replaced by respect and gravity toward her senior.

The prince’s eyes opened in surprise as he recognized the tall figure of the man, the same who handled his trial back in Nubia and introduced him to the pharaoh long ago. The same uncertainty and dread filled his chest as he looked at him, praying that no consequence followed for appearing at the duel.

Did Atemu really see me? He wondered, trying to recall if the pharaoh’s blazing gaze had somehow spotted him between the crowds.

He suddenly became conscious of the attention that his outfit provoked in addition to the noisy cheers of his friend.

“Did you hurt yourself?” The man’s deep voice asked with serenity.

“No sir.” Mana answered without raising her eyes, the quiet contrast of the usual intense child speaking volumes to the prince of her respect toward the eldest.

“That’s good.” He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder before turning his sharp gaze in Yugi’s direction, sparing a quick glance to the shy monarch before speaking to the councilor.

“Master.” Shada offered a deep bow to the old priest, the man approaching with cordial joy to see his former student.

“You been busy my boy, haven’t had a chance to speak since your return to Khemet.” The councilor mentioned with a smile.

“I apologize master, my duties are no excuse of my absence toward my peers.” He offered with a repentant expression.

“As uptight as always!” The old man chuckled while crossing his hands behind his back. “I’m merely joking my boy, I know better than anyone how busy the council is. You have nothing to apologize for to this senile man with too much time in his hands.”

Shada’s eyes grew in surprise at the expressions of his tutor. “Please master, everyone is grateful for your guidance, especially for aiding our youngest generation with your knowledge and skills.”

“I hope Malik is been useful to you and Seth, he is a brilliant young man and I have no doubt he will be quite accomplished as my star pupil.” The old man attributed to his former student, the bashful priest thanking the compliments gracefully.

“He has been a great help to us, been trained by an accomplished teacher we had no doubts of his skills.” Shada answered while seeking the look of the quiet prince standing by Mana’s side. “Also I must apologize master but our ruler has requested me to seek our royal guest for a private audience in his study.”

Shimon displayed a look of surprise as he turned toward Yugi, his lilac eyes seeking aid and answers to the thousands of questions flying in his head.

“Oh, yes I suppose you already met our Nubian visitor.” The councilor offered a hand toward the monarch with a respectful bow. “Your grace I’m really grateful for accepting our invitation, please feel free to call me if there’s anything I can assist you with in the future.”

The councilor offered a silent message through his eyes, offering a discreet encouragement that somehow settled the prince’s fears.

“Yes councilor I look forward to our next meeting.” Yugi answered cordially and turned his beautiful face toward the lovely girl who had a worried expression in her face. “I will see you later Mana.”

Shada escorted the prince to the opposite side of the palace into the royal wing after leaving the duo behind. The man seemed collected and smart, not offering any polite conversation or inquiring about the prince as they walked soundlessly.

The quiet trip only seemed to feed Yugi’s questions about the reason behind the pharaoh’s summoning.

His mind pointed toward an evident chance the man sought him to satiate his needs, except he had resorted to his harem the past days for such task and the prince doubted he sent a high ranking official to bring him only to have sex. There was also the perfect timing of his presence in the duel that would perhaps earn him a punishment for ‘abusing’ his privileges as a royal prisoner, something that was far more probable than his first theory.

His endless rumbling thoughts had shortened the trip once the study’s tall doors came to view. Two impressive members of the royal guard were stationed before them instead of the usual four, announcing their presence and waiting for their lord’s command to permit their admission.

“Enter.” The baritone voice of the pharaoh announced from the other side of the room, Yugi’s back filling with tension and upsetting his stomach as they stepped into the elegant structure.

“Your grace.” Shada greeted with a polite reverence before the man seated behind his desk, looking absently into a broad map extended over the table. “I brought our guest as requested.”

Yugi took a while to collect his emotions as he stood in the middle of the room, Atemu’s eyes rising and inspecting the teen before him with absorption. The prince’s face turned a vivid scarlet color at the intensity of the monarch’s gaze, offering a simple bow of his head while avoiding the piercing orbs.

“Thank you my friend.” The priest didn’t hesitate to dismiss himself, leaving the two royals by themselves as the door closed behind them.

The pharaoh didn’t speak immediately as a pause extended between them, enjoying a few more seconds of the prince’s lovely appearance before he stood from his seat. Yugi raised his eyes and watch the monarch offering a seat with an extended palm instead of jumping into orders.

“You look lovely today.” Atemu complimented smoothly as the confused teen took a sit hesitantly, crossing his hands in his lap and feeling the humid sensation between his digits with a nervous knot in his stomach.

“Thank you.” He answered, trying to recover control of his emotions and remembering the condition of his status. Even a bastard has his pride.

The attractive sovereign noticed the tension in his lover’s posture, his thoughts recalling the accidental love confession that escaped the prince’s lips several nights previous. His body had frozen after the mutter of his words, not sure if he had misinterpreted them.

The next morning it made it impossible to face the prince and resorted once again to his old practices, an unconscious dissatisfaction leaving him empty and contempt.

“Did I do something to displease you?” The prince decided to take the initiative and end his uncertainty, not understanding the reason behind the pharaoh’s call and his unusual disinclination.

The man turned his clever eyes in his direction, letting his arms rest on his chair before straighten his back.

“If you had I can assure you we wouldn’t be having a conversation.” The monarch mentioned while the teen hid his dread behind a mask of neutral expression. “The man that just escorted you here returned from Nubia recently and as it turns out I called you out to speak of business matters.”

The prince had a subtle frown in his eyes, the present turn of events something he never dreamed to consider.

“I will go to the point.” The pharaoh stood from his seat and pace around his desk to stand before the prince. “Your father’s followers had joined forces with massive numbers of bandits and multiply their efforts to harm the citizens of Nubia, which it’s something we won’t concede.”

Yugi stood from his seat without consent of his mind, the news bringing and obvious concern to his lilac orbs. “How can that be?”

“I’m aware they are nothing but cowards and corrupted officials.” The pharaoh crossed his arms before his chest, letting his lower-back rest against the edge of his desk. “Yet they hold the means to hire mercenaries and criminals to do their deeds and that is exactly what we are trying to stop.”

A warning flag appeared on the prince’s thoughts as his eyes grew with consternation, fear reaching his chest at the thought of innocents involved in the crossfire after recalling the devastating results brought by the monarch’s tactics over his people.

“So what is your proposal?” The teen asked with his tempter bubbling inside him, the memories of the God’s massacre surfacing in his mind. “Will you summon your powers and eliminate them?”

The pharaoh felt the hostility of the teen directed toward him, allowing himself to remain unaffected by the words.

“It’s not your place to seek a confrontation with me.” The man mentioned with patience, allowing the teen to understand his point. “As the last member of the royal family you can help us stop their actions.”

You raped me! Imprisoned and used me! You took me away from my home and exploited me until you had your fill and then tossed me away!

Why? Why do I love you despite of all that?
The teen began shaking with frustration, pessimistic emotions rambling inside him.

“So you plan to use me again for your benefit.” It wasn’t a question.

The pharaoh felt his impatience growing, a part of him regretting he touched the boy without taking into account the forthcoming consequences. He didn’t expect events to turn out like this and resort to his rival’s aid to save his kingdom now that the balance of his own powers was disturbed after the war.

Relentless, Atemu took hold of the prince’s wrist and pulled him against his body, the teen’s frame falling against his chest while his amethyst eyes confronted the monarch’s.

The sovereign turned his gaze toward the documents on his desk, the soft scent of spices reaching the prince’s nostrils and filling his thoughts with the man’s presence.

“Look at them.” The man ordered with a deep tone, leaving no option for further defiance.

Yugi’s inner voice warned him of the dangerous line he was daring to cross, not wanting to evoke the fury of the man while thinking he couldn’t trust him to plan anything that would benefit his people.

His eyes followed the documents the monarch had pointed, the inscription turned toward the opposite direction. His slender fingers took hold of the delicate paper, the content suggesting a letter.

“This is…” The prince whispered out loud after a pause while reading the correspondence, his fingers touching his lips in a sign of dubiety. The man put some distance between his lover in order to face him directly, patiently waiting for him to finish his inspection.

“Everything will go to the capital, my best team is already handling the procedures.” The pharaoh explained, his sharp features giving no hint of emotion.

Yugi looked at the man with unbelief, everything in the letter suggesting a secure welfare of his people for the entire nation.

“Do you believe my father would have sacrificed thousands of lives, including his own, just out of greed or a petty conquest?” The royal mentioned trying to rip the doubts of the prince. “A ruler that doesn’t care for his people is nothing more than a tyrant.”

Yugi remained speechless, all his emotions conflicting inside him as he sought clarity or a hint to trust the man’s words and actions.

The pharaoh let his elegant fingers raise his lover’s sight, his hand dropping to his side once he locked his scarlet gaze against those confused jewels.

“I’m asking you as a leader who understands just how much our nations have suffer.” Atemu whispered close to the teen, his words furnished with the quiet dignity of a true ruler. “Trust me.”

Yugi’s felt the turmoil in his stomach as the words sank into his very core, feeling the tears trying to escape from his eyes and letting his fingers erase their trace before they could reach the surface.

The unexpected offer was something he sought from the beginning, once again his friend’s faces coming to his head that mended the ruptures in his heart. He thanked the gods for the new development, a smile so pure and innocent displayed on his face that it made Atemu’s heart skip a beat for a moment before the teen cleared his voice.

“As prince of Nubia I thank your efforts toward my people.” The prince expressed with a sincere gratitude displayed on his eyes, surprising the monarch as the shy dancer transformed into a noble authority. “What can I do to end this conspiracy?”

The man closed the distance between the two, the fingers caressing the soft texture of the delicate face.

Yugi was taken by surprise at the unexpected reaction of the man before him, the delicious digits of his fingers caressing the naked skin of his exposed back that brought a chill to his spine.

His heart began to beat at a massive rate, soft breathing exchanged between their mouths as he let the man claim a chaste kiss on his lips. Hesitantly the prince returned the action seeking further the rich taste that burned his tongue pleasantly.

There was no trace of lust or need as his breath grazed his skin with the sweetness of a whisper, his mind threatened to explode as he drowned in the presence of his former enemy.

Atemu could sense his hasty breathing, feeling drunk and impetuous as his lips caressed the skin next to his lover’s ear. The sensation brought a mild moan from the young prince, the sovereign’s fingers slipping through the silkiness of the raven locks of his hair.

“Marry me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yu-Gi-Oh! Is the property of Kazuki Takahashi, and are not Spellcraft Writings’ intellectual property. This is for entertainment purposes only. No financial gain was made from this nor will any be sought.