Status: Ongoing

The Sky Dancer

Chapter 15

Yugi found himself currently studying a few volumes from the royal library, his attention from the context constantly diverted by recalling the pharaoh’s shocking proposal of a few days previous.

With a sigh he let the papyrus roll back carefully to its original shape, resting his brow against the back of his palm while casting a lost look into his window.

He was left speechless, never considering that such a suggestion would come from his former enemy.

The pharaoh defined that a political union between lasting rivals would appease the masses while extending a message of peace and collaboration. He allowed the prince a few days to think about the issue, dismissing him with a look that obviously expected a favorable response.

“How could I?” Yugi whispered to himself, watching a few children play outside the oasis while several visitors enjoyed the surroundings as they walked.

The prince’s frame jumped slightly in surprise as his busy thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door, the voice of his usual guard announcing the visit of Priest Shimon.

“I should have known.” The little dancer murmured to himself with a deep sigh while reincorporating in his seat and adjusting his attire. After his lack of presence around the Egyptian sovereign for the next days, it was clear he had sent the priest to get an update of his decision. “Please come in.”

The doors opened and his servants bowed deeply as the elder stepped inside with a courteous smile.

“Your highness.” The man greeted with respect, bowing to the prince who also offered a kind smile.

"Hetep Hena Ten." Yugi announced courtly and offered a seat before him.

“I see your highness is studying the legends of the holy wars.” The man indicated as he took a sit next to the window, his eyes quickly identifying the old scripts the prince tried to read.

“Its very interesting, however I’m afraid some of the text is a little hard for me to understand.” The monarch admitted, ashamed of the fact most aristocrats were familiar with the use of ancient text.

“I must admit I’m surprised, your mastery of the Egyptian language is remarkable.” The old man raised an eyebrow, his weathered hands rearranging his tunic as he sought a more comfortable position in his seat.

“Most of my education was offered in secret from a tutor of my half siblings.” The prince explained, recalling the memories of his lessons with fondness. “My father, he had other plans for me.”

The man detected a spark of hate in the teen’s voice, his beautiful gaze shadowed by the remembrance of King Sulum’s actions. His former pupil had confided several details of the prince’s past life after his trial. The facts had been so disturbing it only made the old man admire the kindness of the prince’s heart after the horrible events he faced throughout his life.

“Among many things, I admire your highness for your passion in knowledge.” The man observed joyfully. “I only wish my pupil was just as dedicated as yourself.”

Yugi couldn’t help laughing at the comment.

The girl made constant visits to his room after escaping form her studies, admitting she hated the history and language lessons she constantly fled from and far more interested in the practice of magic itself. Her presence had long stopped worrying the guards stationed at his door.

“So to what do I have the honor of your visit?” The prince inquired, his cup of tea refilled by his servant while his brother offered some to the councilor, taken good naturally with a gesture of gratitude.

“Well I just wanted to check on his royal highness and make sure you weren’t too upset by the news of Nubia’s recent projects.” The man explained, his intentions rightly spotted by the prince.

I knew it. The prince thought to himself, his velvet fingers caressing the delicate cup that steamed a fragrant scent.

“I’m still considering the pharaoh’s proposal.” The prince mentioned with a diplomatic answer, not bothering to spare more details to the eldest before him.

“It’s only natural your grace, it is an important decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly.” The man agreed, his hands surrounding his own cup without tasting it yet.

“I know the pharaoh expects an answer soon.” Yugi admitted. “Of course, in my present situation I don’t even think I could declined even if I wanted to.”

The man exhaled a deep breath, recalling the rumors of his sovereign’s personal affairs with their political guest. His plans to help the pharaoh heal his old wounds had put the prince in a position of violent encounters he had not foreseen. Now it was his job to amend their relationship for the future of both countries, trusting the advice of Isis that had never failed to improve the royal family’s welfare.

“May I offer your highness some advice?” The old man requested, accepted by the youth after a pause. “The prince should no longer carry a dark opinion of his situation. You are not a prisoner but a guest of this country and entitled to make your own decisions.”

“Master Shimon you know I care about my country and of course I want to help in any way I can.” The prince admitted. “But how am I to make my own decisions when I’m given an individual option and have no knowledge of the situation?”

“Perhaps your highness merely has some difficulty to see the options at your disposal.” The man explained, his calculating eyes seeking the comprehension of the prince who failed to understand his words. “Our ruler governs with a stern hand but he’s always willing to listen to what the others have to share.”

The prince agreed the man expected to have his orders delivered without failure; nonetheless, he surprised the dancer with a collected response after his outburst. If the pharaoh wanted to, he would only need to order his acceptance instead of letting him take some time to ponder on his answer.

He watched his servants looking to the floor as if they were nothing but pieces of furniture inside the room. Yugi knew they were listening but it wasn’t in their nature to expose whatever information circulated inside the palace, too frightened of the consequences if they were to be discovered relaying royal secrets.

“So what you are saying is that I should present some conditions for my acceptance?” The prince asked in a hush tone, his body inclining toward the councilor so only the man could listen to his words.

The elder didn’t answer, only his eyes revealed what the prince knew to be true. This only seemed to confuse the teen, wondering why the councilor offered such an advice that would condition the pharaoh in order to gain his acceptance.

“Now that we are speaking about the subject, there are a few changes that I must inform your highness.” The man announced, his face giving away the good nature of his news to the restless prince, accustomed to hear only calamities whenever the winds of change blew in his direction.

“Pharaoh Atemu has personally suggested that your highness attends the royal assemblages and even public affairs.” The priest began, surprising the small dancer who displayed a soft blush from the news. To have the prince attend ceremonies besides a present sovereign was almost a declaration to the public of their union. “In two days our ruler will attend the celebration of the offerings to the Gods and he wants to extend an invitation to your grace.”

“Only that?” The prince inquired.

“Hardly your highness, the pharaoh also wishes to celebrate the Festival of Renenutet in the capital of Kerma. He wants the prince to travel back to Nubia with him where he will personally make a series of announcements to the people of the new reforms.”

Yugi’s hands flew toward his mouth, his body shaking slightly at the thought he could return home. He remained speechless while pondering on the suggestion, not offering an answer immediately to the priest.

“I never thought I would return.” He whispered mostly to himself.

“As I said your highness, we are currently concentrating our efforts to construct an era of peace.” Shimon explained, shadowing the words the pharaoh told the small dancer on their last meeting. “What better way to start this than by collaborating with each other?”

Yugi could feel the tears threatening to spill from his eyes, his hands crushing the hem of his tunic as he tried to recover his emotional control.

Why Atemu? Why must you confuse me like this? The teen kept rumbling inside him, feeling a knot in middle of his throat.

“I know your grace has a lot on his mind but I’m afraid I have on last thing I must inform you.” The priest mentioned, his old heart breaking at the gentle sight of the youth before him.

“I think I had enough for a day sir.” Yugi requested, having difficulty to annunciate his words as he kept the commotion at bay.

Home, I can return home. The little dancer almost smiled as the idea sank into his mind.

“Then I shall leave you to rest, please don’t hesitate to call for me.” Shimon stood slowly and bowed to the prince who showed his gratitude to the old man as he made his way toward the door.

The servants bowed to the eldest once he reached the exit, the doors opened but he remained still.

“Come on in.” His request caught the prince by surprise, finally comprehending what Shimon tried to tell him before he dismissed him as a familiar pair of wood-shade eyes rested against his own.

Ryou walked inside the room, dressed in a clean garb with a beautiful pale-blue habit crossing from his shoulders to the opposite side of his hip that announced his status as royal servant. The wounds on his face had disappeared and his expression reflected true relief as his eyes found his master.

“Ryou!” Yugi cried, his body rushing toward his best friend and dropping the chair behind him in his sprint.

The albino himself moved toward the prince who crushed into his waiting arms, tears pouring into his shoulder as he felt those familiar hands embracing him with force.

“Yugi.” He whispered, containing his own tears as he consoled his master.

The priest smiled kindly before ordering the pair of siblings to let them have a moment of privacy, stepping outside before the guards closed the door.

________________________________________________________________________________

“I cannot tolerate the idea that our ruler involves himself with a bastard over his own blood!” Priest Aknadin yelled in a passion, walking around Atemu’s office like a caged animal.

The pharaoh had foreseen the current encounter with his uncle after agreeing on the annulment of his engagement with Kisara, deciding to let the man have his share of say until he was ready to settle the affair.

“I beg you to reconsider nephew, this will certainly fall badly over the royal house!” He expressed, the golden eye of the millennium item glowing faintly and reflecting the frame of the royal seated behind his desk.

“Think about your granddaughter’s situation uncle. I cannot risk Kisara’s wellbeing until we know more about her condition.” The man expressed calmly, his hands resting over the documents he was going through before the priest requested an audience with him.

“That bastard has no royal name, no status, he couldn’t possible give you an heir. How is this arrangement beneficial to our country?” The priest’s hand flew in sharp hits toward the air as he continued his heated speech, once again confronting a poor decision taken by his own son and nephew.

“Kisara and I cannot consummate our marriage, I won’t risk a pregnancy if her life is at risk.” The pharaoh explained, his patience running thin far too quickly.

“But surely a union between the two would be far more…” The priest pressed before the sovereign interrupted him.

“As for the heir.” The handsome man established, quieting the eldest who breathed harshly through his nose after his excitement. “It was my intention to have Kisara inherit my place as soon as she came of age, regardless of our union.”

This seemed to take the councilor by surprise.

“She has every quality to become a great monarch and the people love her.” Atemu’s scarlet gaze reflected confidence in his decision. “I’m trusting her with the future of my country and I plan to have a word with Seth about this matter once we reach Nubia for the Renenutet’s Festival.”

“Don’t you think that showing yourself before enemy territory is far to dangerous?” The man expressed, once again finding another issue that he seemed to disagree on. “It’s been hardly year since the war ended.”

“Which is why we must control that fire before a rebellion breaks up again.” Atemu mentioned, his royal visage reflecting fortitude. “I won’t have this country torn apart again after everything we sacrificed and if I must wed my former enemy to achieve it then let it be done.”

Aknadin took a deep breath and closed his eyes trying to recover his control. The words of his nephew had reached its objective and he gave a subtle bow in respect. Regardless of everything he was still his brother’s son and cared deeply for him as if he were his own.

“Very well my pharaoh.” The man expressed, Atemu’s own burning anger subsiding as he watched the man suggest his concern for him.

A knock on the door interrupted the tense atmosphere, both sights turning toward the guard’s voice announcing the arrival of priest Karim and Shada.

“Send them in.” The pharaoh’s baritone voice allowed entrance, the young warriors surprised to see their superior in the pharaoh’s office.

“My pharaoh.” Both inclined their heads with their fists against their heart. “Master Akandin.”

“I shall take my leave your grace.” The high priest announced, dismissed by the monarch with a simple nod of his noble face.

Once the doors closed the sovereign let his frame relax slightly, visible exhaustion reflected in his graceful features.

“I hope we didn’t intrude your highness.” Shada mention, his sharp eyes turning back from the door to face his ruler.

“Your timing was impeccable.” The young man expressed sincerely while brushing the bridge of his nose with his elegant fingers.

“Not happy with your new bride I suppose.” Karim expressed comically, his words contrasting with his serious template making the pharaoh smile.

“I received a message from Seth, he mentioned that preparations for the festival shall be completed without delay and they are ready to receive us.” Atemu mentioned, his arms resting against the arms of his chair. “He advises we should make the announcement of my engagement public after the offering.”

“Has the prince finally given his consent?” Shada asked with a sign of relief.

“I’ll take care of that tonight.” The man expressed, clearly showing that he had not received the yes from his future consort.

The prince remained apart after their last meeting, an unfavorable sign that made the monarch wondered if the little one would actually consider refusing his proposal.

“As for the preparations, Shada and I have just finished discussing matters with Pegasus. He will like to travel to his new state and oversee the remodeling once we reach Kerma now that the deal has been sealed off.” Karim mentioned, slightly uncomfortable from the subtle advances of the flamboyant entrepreneur from the recent meeting.

“Very well.” The pharaoh mentioned, his eyes focusing over the servants currently working on lightening the structure now that Ra was setting over the horizon. “I think that will be all for today.”

“As you command my pharaoh.” The priests bowed respectfully and stepped outside living the sovereign by himself.

Atemu felt drained, his back resting against his chair and removing the crown from his forehead while his graceful fingers moved through the roots of his hair.

He had two days before the ceremony of offerings in the local temple, which he had resolved to use for amusement and rest in an effort to spend more time with the Nubian prince.

After a long abstinence his body yearned for the touch of the pale dancer, the exquisite curves of his frame and the cool taste of his skin still fresh in the pharaoh’s head.

It had been quite sometime since he had felt tormented by the remembrance of Taenea, thinking his present obligations had kept him too busy. A part of him feared that he would forget her all together, surprising himself by thinking of the face of the Nubian prince at random hours of the day.

Why did I fall in love with a man like you?

Atemu still remembered those words coming from his lips in the heat of passion, not sure if the prince had truly meant them after the poorly development of their current relationship.

The pharaoh was left speechless momentarily after meeting the prince for the first time back in Kerma, the beauty of his person hardly comparing to anything he had seen and unable to suppress his desire to possess him.

When did I become so weak? Atemu thought to himself, fearing to admit the influence the little dancer seemed to have against his beliefs.

The walls around his heart pressed him to remember whom he truly loved, refusing to leave room for anyone else.

________________________________________________________________________________

“It’s almost like old times.” Yugi mentioned cheerfully, his hair carefully arranged by the hands of albino with the aid of the siblings.

“Almost.” The teen agreed, trying to keep the reality of their situation at bay after their tragic separation. He ignored the obvious stares from the young servants who attended his master in his place. They seemed surprised of his pale complexion and unusual snow color hair while assisting him with menial tasks as he fixed his master for a dinner with the sovereign.

“Are you going to give him an answer tonight?” Ryou asked him after spending the entire day talking about the events during their months in Khemet.

The prince looked into his lap in contemplation, marveling the elegant attire dressing his exquisite figure. A servant arrived earlier during the day to invite the prince for a private meal with the pharaoh, delivering a wine-color tunic and golden accessories for the evening by request of Priest Shimon. The piece was elegant and lovely to the touch, something simple and tasteful compared to the striking garment he wore for the magic tournament.

“Yes.” The little one expressed carefully. “Only after he hears my terms.”

The pale servant raised an eyebrow in surprise, amazed by the unusual fortitude his master displayed whenever he thought of those that depended on him. His fears grew again, recalling the dreadful decision he took to save his life and the children during the war. Ryou’s hand stopped his movements and trembled slightly, his short bands obscuring his gaze.

Yugi noticed the change in his best friend through the reflection of the mirror, his sweet eyes turning toward the siblings and requesting a few things to give them some privacy.

Once alone the prince stood from his place and his hand caressed the cheek of his companion, drawing his attention while hiding the pain in his expression.

“I’m sorry I put you through so much.” Yugi whispered, tears once again threating to escape. “Please stay with me, I really need you Ryou.”

After tonight things would change forever in the life of the young prince. The albino could feel the slight tremor under the exterior of his firm decision, his own resolve to protect him stronger than ever now that a new wave of dangers approached.

His idea to escape from Khemet had disappeared from his thoughts after the prince confessed the proposition from the pharaoh, earning him a title of significance next to the most powerful man in all the lands. He would never retreat now that the resources to help his people were just within his grasp as future king of Nubia.

Ryou kneeled before his master, taking his hands between his and bowing to protect him with his own life and support his cause. “Always.”

A quiet tear slipped from Yugi’s amethyst eye before a smile graced his face.

Regardless of the developments of tonight the prince was resolved to thank the pharaoh for granting mercy over his only family, his future happiness settled by the presence of his best friend.

A soft knock on the door called their attention, announcing the time for his engagement. Yugi cleaned the trace of his tear, his now steady voice announcing to the servant behind the closed door he was on his way.

His eyes rested over his companion, giving a swift nod before taking a deep breath.

“I’ll be back later.” He whispered, encouraged by the respectful expression of the servant before him.

“I’ll wait for your return.”

Even after spending the entire day reviewing his answer and his arguments, the prince couldn’t help the inner shaking and flutter of his stomach as they made their way between the empty halls.

The evening air was fragrant and sweet, awakening his senses and providing a calming effect that opened his appetite after realizing he didn’t eat anything during the day.

He reminded himself to keep his personal feelings from influencing a decision that would greatly affect their nations.

I won’t make the same mistake again. The prince thought to himself as the doors from a private room opened after they reaching their destination, his own guide stepping to the side and bowing respectfully before the prince walked inside.

The room was quiet and dimly illuminated with no trace of the royal man waiting for him. He noticed a small table for two carved with fine golden details and polished dark wood, matching the chairs with the same design. Several candles surrounded the delightful display of ripe fruit and golden tableware, fresh flowers decorating the center with an arrangement of amethyst lotus and star clusters. He also noticed the figure of a servant awaiting orders in the alternate room where small kitchens were constructed to serve the royal’s private meals, giving a respectful bow after spotting the young monarch looking at him.

“Good evening.” A sensual voice announced its owner’s presence into the room, Yugi’s heart jumping to his throat as he felt it close to his ear. The fragrant scent of spices was mixed with the floral essence of the room, the warm breath of the pharaoh brushing the prince’s skin. “Did I startle you?”

The prince was indeed startled, hardly noticing when the sovereign stepped inside.

“No.” He answered timidly, hitting himself internally for the shake of his voice and clearing the knot on his throat before trying again. “Good evening your grace.”

The sovereign offered a handsome smile, his smooth fingers taking the hand of his guest before his lips kissed the skin in a greeting.

Yugi couldn’t help the flashing tint that burned his cheeks, the color reaching the tip of his ears and the base of his neck while diverting his gaze to the side.

“You look wonderful tonight, as always.” The monarch expressed, resting his hand over the dancer’s lower back as he guided him into the table.

“Your highness looks quite handsome as well.” The teen expressed, taking the initiative to act accordingly to his status and subtly reminding his host not to treat him as a woman after the pharaoh opened the seat for him.

The prince had taken notice of the unusual acts of courtesy the pharaoh had showed him in the past, used to having the servants open the chairs for royal guests and the sovereign himself. He decided to open a conversation by pointing out such details while gaining time to work on his confidence.

“It is rather unusual to have his royal highness personally attend his guests.” Yugi mentioned with a calm voice, looking at the handsome warrior dismiss the servant after pouring some wine into the empty cups.

His scarlet eyes faced the little one as he took his time to inspect him closer. “I would much rather we refer to each other without titles, if you are comfortable enough that is.”

The prince’s eyes grew in size, once again the blush appearing in his lovely face. “I don’t see why not.”

The pharaoh smiled, amused by the honest display of emotions from his charming lover.

“Why do you find it unusual Yugi?” He inquired, the sound of his name coming through his lips interrupting the order of his thoughts momentarily.

“Well…” The teen began, recapturing the train of thought. “Just small details I suppose. How you dress on your own or prefer your own company during your baths, even the way you speak to others as if they were your equals.”

Atemu let a soft laugh escape into the air, making his handsome features brim while settling the tension.

“I’m flattered.” The man expressed raising an elegant eyebrow. “I never expected to be observed so closely.”

Yugi offered no comment to that, the tip of his ears burning brightly.

“Regardless of what the public thinks I’m a man and as such I have the same needs as any other.” Atemu expressed, taking a slight drink of his cup.

“I wanted to thank his high… you, for allowing Ryou to return to my service.” The teen expressed sincerely, facing a serious expression from the royal who didn’t seemed too happy about granting clemency to the man who killed two of his soldiers.

Two servants walked into the room carrying platters with a warm stew, Yugi’s stomach giving little rumble after the delicious aroma reached his nostrils.

“Have you given any thought to my proposal?” The man inquired while taking another taste of his cup, his tone kept casual while looking at his guest.

“I have.” The prince mentioned, resting his hands over his lap while seating straight in his chair. “Before I answer, I have a few requests.”

Atemu imitated the same posture of the prince, ready to close the discussion of the subject that kept unattended.

“I’m listening.” The man answered, patiently waiting for the prince to collect his choice of words.

“I would like the pharaoh to share the information of any situation that might compromise my people and take my opinion seriously in regards of political affairs.” Yugi began, not willing to continue to play the game without understanding the facts.

The sovereign remained silent, still listening to the proposals the prince had to make without interruption.

“I will support you to the best of my abilities as long as you give me your word that you won’t summon your powers, even a deity, to harm innocent people.” The prince mentioned, his fists closing firmly while recalling the tragedy of Kerma. “And my final condition, that you won’t take my body again forcibly.”

Atemu let his fingers rest against his lips momentarily while his clever eyes inspected the reactions of the prince, his expression firm and unyielding.

The requests had been simple enough, something that cost him nothing by compromising himself for a mutual benefit.

“Very well.” The man answered with a serious tone. “So I take it you agree.”

“You give me your word, that you will honor my requests?” The prince asked.

“I give you my word.” Atemu answered after a pause, responding with the same gravity of his concession.

“Then I accept.” Yugi mentioned, bowing slightly in respect and with a quiet dignity. “I thank your grace for your kindness and hope our union brings you and our countries future happiness.”

The pharaoh raised his cup with a refined gesture toward his new consort, the prince responding the toast with his own drink. “For the future.”

“For the future.” The teen announced, a flutter coming from his stomach.

________________________________________________________________________________

Mahado lost the feel of his limbs as his body hanged loosely a few inches from the floor, blood pouring from his recent wounds while his long hair obscured his features.

He was the last to loose consciousness after sustaining the brutal blows, the screams of his men still fresh in the priest’s ears.

The young priest found himself alone in a dark room of the same ruins where the king of thieves delivered a declaration of war to their country, his own shadow fleeing on time before they removed his weapons and the millennium ring.

A painful thirst burned his throat, feeling lightheaded and nauseous after loosing so much blood.

Atemu must know. He thought, the face of his best friend cracking his defense as he attempted to keep himself alive for his spell to reach his objective. Please let it reach him.

Mahado’s teeth clenched painfully as the face of Mana appeared in his thoughts, blaming himself for the little time he spend with her after the war ended. He pronounced each word from her last letter, his heart breaking as he recalled the solitude dimly concealed in her sentences.

I’m sorry Mana, I’m so sorry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yu-Gi-Oh! Is the property of Kazuki Takahashi, and are not Spellcraft Writings’ intellectual property. This is for entertainment purposes only. No financial gain was made from this nor will any be sought.