Status: Ongoing

The Sky Dancer

Chapter 1

Yugi felt a chill run down his spine as the breeze brushed his back, his frame presently resting over the edge of his balcony. His amethyst eyes met the horizon toward Khemet’s route, his body drenched under the starlight veil of the night.

The dreadful news of Meroé's invasion reached the king’s ears without delay, the royal thrashing everything within his reach and barely giving a change to the small prince to escape his outburst.

Their country was falling into pieces before Egyptian forces commanded by pharaoh Aknamkanon himself, their mortal enemy possessing abhorrent powers that brought unnerving results periodically. The fearsome shadows under his rule crumbled the biggest cities like mere sand castles while the division of his army was led by brilliant generals, performing deeds no less notable from the massive demons.

It would be a matter of time before they reached the capital, the clear signs of panic evident from his balcony. Some of the habitants walked the streets with their belongings, anything their arms could carry as they fled from Kerma, the Egyptians’ final target.

His half siblings and cousins were advised to evacuate the country when word of the Egyptians reached the borders. King Sulum refused the suggestion with a hostile fit, his words expressing the discord of his own blood retreating with their tail between their legs like some common mongrel.

It was the same stubbornness that cost him the life of his eldest son Amun, commander of the Nubian forces who faced the Egyptians in the battle of Semna. The results brought a shameful defeat with no war prisoners taken after the pharaoh’s son beheaded the heir, breaking the remaining forces of the Nubian's army with no leader to guide them. Sulum secluded himself under severe grief after destroying half of the throne’s chamber, vowing to kill the man who had taken his son's life.

Grim news of death and defeat were a common broadcast, the entire population evacuating and panic hanging thick over the air.

The prince's body was feeling sore as the wind crippled and tensed his already exhausted frame. Bags would form under his eyes as dreams of ash, fire, and blood invaded his subconscious. His mind wondered countless hours thinking about the possible outcomes of their present situation. He tried his best to keep out of sight, at times unable to escape his father’s rage until reaping his consciousness.

A soft rustle broke his line of thought as warmth surround him, accompanied by Ryou's scent traveling along the breeze. Yugi sensed those firm hands clothing his back against the cold night, the thick blanket brushing the bruises under the silk of his attire.

"You'll get sick without this." He spoke softly, his dark wood eyes displaying a familiar concern for the prince.

"Thank you Ryou." Yugi whispered as his face turned to the side, looking at his companion from the corner of his eyes.

"You left your supper untouched again. Must I force to eat?" His preaching words were carved on his head already, his little appetite showing on his formerly slender frame.

"I can hardly digest anything these days." Yugi mentioned tiredly as his body leaned against his arms on the balcony's wall, his eyes once again focused to the north.

Ryou looked at his master with concern as the dark news tattooed their evident effect on his face, the prince's health worsen with the eve of war approaching. No one knew what to expect now that the Egyptians were at their doorstep. The effect of Amun's death exposed the enemy’s intentions to rip apart the royal family from power and place Nubia under Khemet's rule.

His snow-white hair danced among the breeze as the warrior reviewed his plan for escape, taking into account the south route toward the city of Adulis after exhausting his ideas for countless weeks. Mistress Mai, his master's deceased mother, reached the city in her attempt to escape the king’s grasp where she gave birth to his son and spend her last years in hiding.

Upon mention during several conversations Yugi stubbornly expressed his refusal to leave, reaching an impregnable obstacle where his master would never put his life as a priority. His generous soul would always look out for those who couldn't protect themselves, the children he frequent by one of the nearby orphanages displayed in his reasons. Unlike the prince, the albino was selfishly looking out for his own interests, unable to carry a life without him.

"I shall warm some water, please eat something before your bath." Ryou whispered with a firm tone, heading inside the room trying to dismiss his concerns.

The monarch took a deep breath of the cold night air before opening his eyes again. He returned to the inviting room, securing the blanket over his shoulders with his delicate fingers. He sat over the table watching his friend tend the fire, some thongs and a poker moving under his rough, slim hands.

The water for his bath steamed softly, bracing the soft flames as the wood snap under the heat. His supper was a simple arrangement of creamy cheese and hot bread, accompanied by some slices of sweet pear and boiled warm koshari tea. The aroma refreshed him as he took a careful sip of the cup making his appetite open, too tired to oppose to something so frugal.

Meanwhile, Ryou arranged a basin filled with steaming water, pouring the liquid into a limestone tub; one of a few privileges the prince enjoyed during his bathing rituals. The salts and perfumes mixed with the hot water, making the clear substance turn a soft milky color. His sleeves were rolled upwards exposing the daggers attached to his forearms, the weapon made of a special metal that wouldn’t rust.

Even after their long history the prince never found the courage to ask him how he obtained them, assuming the weapon itself was an invaluable and expensive article. He remembered the training sessions where the young warrior fought among the soldiers, no one able to match his speed or skill. The "White Demon" he was called among the servitude, the monarch overlooking the lie shadowing the kind soul of his friend.

Yugi stood from his spot once the albino finished dipping his hand into the milky water to test the temperature. He let him remove his clothing, the heavy silks and tunic falling soundlessly on the carpet under his feet. The prince unconsciously tried to cover his arms as Ryou saw the countless bruises and black marks over the pale complexion, his blood boiling at the outcome of the king’s outbursts. He had never resorted to sharp objects or a whip before to avoid permanent scars on his son's body, something he clearly overlooked under the present circumstances.

The prince covered his chest with his bruised arms as he sank inside the tub, the blood circulating again on his cold feet and legs as he lay over the stone. He knew it was impossible to hide the marks of his damaged body from his best friend, who always expelled a killing aura when he noticed every new injury. He was careful when brushing the cloth against his skin to avoid unnecessary pain.

Once finished he combed his hair, oiled his skin, applied medicinal ointments, and the prince waited patiently for his friend to finish with his bathing ritual.

His eyes closed softly while the blankets covered his frame, fenced against the shadows of uncertainty as his door closed.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Priest Shada observed with rigorous attention as the figures over the map signaled their current position and strategy. Things seemed to have turned to the worse for their side with the current developments. The invasion on Meroé was a key strategic advantage and its resources now belong to Egyptian forces. However, mischances could not be overlooked as the capital was still heavily guarded and protected by loyalists with a heavy army of 20,000 men at their disposal.

The generals were confident over their advantage as their numbers could overturn the enemy forces, something the council wanted to avoid for unnecessary casualties. The power of the shadows was loyal to the pharaoh who held the most powerful Millennium Item. Its lost gambled their survival on the war especially after the news delivered a heavy blow to the moral of their men.

"We will have to make a decision by tonight. Our army cannot afford any delays, especially when we are so close." Karim's deep voice broke the silence and it seemed the generals around the table agreed with him.

Shada turned his wise eyes in direction of his fellow priest. Neither member of the council had the authority to plan the next move. Only one man could take command of their forces and he was late.

"Have you had any word of Mahado's group?" He asked his commanding general who only shook his head.

"Their delay is understandable. Wounded soldiers will surely slow them down after their recent battle. Not to mention they carry essential supplies from Meroé." The general's remark was followed by the sound of a horn, breaking the tense silence as everyone moved in direction of the tent's entrance.
Troops were spotted from the north and carried the symbol of Ra's eye on their banners, their own horns announcing their arrival to the vast camp. The torches danced with the breeze of the night and every man howled in excitement over the arrival of their fellow soldiers.

Shada closed his eyes momentarily as a sign of relief for the army's safe appearance. The troops huddle at the sight of friends, brothers, cousins, fathers, and sons reunited for one final battle.

The priest gave a quick look around the troops searching for the young prince as he walked toward their direction, Mahado just by his side. He was received with the cordiality of a hero, for no one was spared the stories of his deeds in the battlefield. His scarlet eyes focused on his fellow councilors and he approached with a steady pace, an aura of an unfamiliar power making the priest's skin crawl before the drastic change.

A new man had replaced the teenager he last saw three years ago. He had grown taller and stronger, his eyes full of experience and dignity. His cape and armor represented a new status between the ranks and he returned a new commander of the Egyptian forces. He had rightly deserved such title and Shada felt a new light of hope in his tired heart. Perhaps this new man could lead them to the victory his country desperately needed.

The prince displayed a sensuous smile as he embraced his friend with liveliness. The priest received the strong and brief action of familiarity, overjoyed to see the heir of Khemet safe from the struggles of war.

"My friend, it's been so long." His baritone voice resounded to the deepest corners of his soul making his heart beat a pace faster.

Priest Karim, whose noble and firm features hardly betrayed an emotion, couldn't help the impression that the new commander had left on him. It seemed that evening was full of surprises.

Mahado also approached his fellow priests and even he had undergone some changes. His gentle and enlighten eyes were covered by a shadow of serenity, however the marks of the Millennium Ring's power had also began to take a toll over his physical body. A new respect was born for the man whose synchrony with the most dangerous item of the seven souls had meant a heavy responsibility.

"It has indeed your highness. It fills me with joy to see you so well after these many seasons. We were all praying for your safe return." Shada spoke with sincerity as he notice a shadow creep into the burning eyes of the prince. He didn't seem pleased about the mention of his title that he had renounce long ago.

"Perhaps we should discuss more inside. Our delay must have everyone restless." He spoke as his hand rested on Shada's broad shoulders, pointing everyone into the direction of the tent as they followed the needed warmth of inside.

Karim ordered a neighboring guard to bring some refreshments and to inform the remaining commanders to gather with the rest of the war council. Meanwhile, Shada offered an open chair to the prince and Mahado, claiming the place at the end of the table.

The prince's sanguine eyes focused over the commanders who inclined their heads in respect, welcoming the newest members into their circle. Although his features carry the composure that rival his cousin’s, Shada noticed the slight pressure his shoulders carried. The obvious circumstances between the pharaoh and the prince brought a heavy tension after the passing seasons. Once again the priest couldn't help the suffocating pressure in his chest.

"Is my cousin well?" he asked breaking the silence that followed, a somber mood hanging in the air.

"Yes my lord. In fact he recently joined us after their success on the capture of Maqurrah." Shada mentioned while Atemu closed his eyes briefly, taking the good news with relief.

"I didn't expect less of him." Mahado agreed with his sovereign, impressed by the news whose victory was no small accomplishment.

Karim noticed the restless movement of his companion’s eyes as the young commander reported the prospects of their long journey. He couldn’t blame anyone for their silence, figuring to take the responsibility to deliver the news and end the internal debate of his colleague.

"My lord Atemu." His deep voice captured the ring’s attention, the commander’s serene template facing his own. "About the pharaoh… your father…"

Shada's eyes grew huge in realization of Karim's actions and he stood from his spot on the table before the priest was interrupted with the presence of a new person in the tent. Everyone's sight diverted at direction of the entrance and Atemu's expression grew pleased as his cousin headed toward him.

"Atemu!" He called as the usually collected priest embraced his cousin with effusiveness.

The two remained at arms length while taking the changes on their persons. Seth took notice of what had impressed everyone during his arrival and Atemu also dazzled.

Seth's complexion had become sharper and his features carry the nobility of a true aristocrat. His eyes once bright and cheerful were now tainted with tragedy and the struggles of war, but regardless of his already serious template his spirit remained unbroken. His daughter waiting for him back in Khemet was the driving force that kept pushing him to survive the carnage. He didn't intent to break his promise to her, even if that meant crawling back if needed.

"It's good to find you well. I heard everything about your performance. I never expected things to change so quickly after three years." Seth spoke as his cerulean eyes gazed upon the prince.

"We must toast after today, it is indeed a moment of celebration. I want to hear all about your happenings. I'm sure my…my father and uncle are very pleased." Atemu struggled in his sentence at the mention of the pharaoh. However, at the end of his statement a gloom seemed to cover his cousin's face and his smile disappeared.

Everyone else also plunged under the pressure of the room and Atemu and Mahado turned toward Shada for an explanation.

"Is there something wrong?" The tall priest asked as Atemu's sun kissed hand dropped from his cousin's arm to his side. Something was indeed wrong and a menacing grip began to take hold at the pitch of his stomach.

"You didn't tell him?" Seth asked making his cousin turn his gaze toward his face and once again at the remaining priests.

"My lord, your father the pharaoh, he passed away two nights ago." After been interrupted moments before, Karim delivered the final news with a heavy heart. "He was injured in battle and didn't survive the night."

Atemu's eyes grew grim for a moment as he took in the news, everyone focused at his reaction and waiting for his next move.

As only heir of the throne it was his birthright to inherit the power and lead the forces as new pharaoh of Khemet. His cousin turned to look to his side with a grieving resignation and Mahado's usually serene eyes were huge in shock at the abhorrent news.

For a moment Atemu's memories of his father resurfaced from that scar he built after the separation. They had parted in such bad terms, his body dragged away from the throne room and his father refusing to meet his eyes.

"If you are so desperate to give up your life and rights for something so vile, at least you should do it for a good cause." He had spoken those words shaking from pure rage and each word was more piercing than the next as his son lay defeated on the hands of the guards, his body prevented of movement after he raised his scattered weapon to his father. "Take him away, no son of mine will offend the gods' divine gift for a beastly whore."

He could never amend for his past sins, a part of him always hopeful that someday he would seek his forgiveness. The feeling of lost and pain filled his chest as the man's eyes obscure for a moment under his golden bangs. No one dared to break the pregnant silent hanging in the air.

"Where is he?" he finally asked with no trace of emotion in his voice, Shada intervened this time.

"He is been mourn in his tenth. We preferred to wait for the ceremony until your arrival, my lord." He answered with a somber but firm tone.

"I will see him." His gaze rose as he headed for the exit with both Mahado and Karim by his side.

Everyone seemed tired and the night lamps grew weaker with the passage of time. They didn't expect their pharaoh to die when the wound, although grave, had not been fatal. Only an autopsy by Isis could confirm the real reason behind the late pharaoh's death and she was currently in Khemet. War was no place for a woman, even one with such gift and talents on the medical field.

"Do you think the prince will agree to take command of our forces?" One of the commanders raised the question everyone was dying to ask. Shada noticed how Seth's back stiffen at such mention.

"He was reluctant to step into power. They didn't part in good terms and now is too late. However a decision must be made. The longer we take, the worse our current situation puts us in." Shada spoke while rubbing his exhausted eyes. Most of the decisions have been left on his care, never overstepping his place in the council no matter how desperate their situation.

"If tonight's answer turn for the worse, then perhaps priest Seth could resume the post. He was a primary candidate from the beginning." The same commander mentioned only to be stab by Seth's icy and threatening tone.

"Atemu is the right heir to the throne! He cannot escape his fate and renounce to what is rightfully his! I'm ready to fight him if that's what it takes to get some sense into him." He announced each word carefully, the shaking from his inner rage slipping through his tone. His reaction had been a silent command that the conversation was over, everyone returning to their own as they waited patiently.

The night dragged on, the young commander finally stepping inside followed by the priests. Atemu's face was calm and collected, his gaze no longer carrying the shadow of neither doubt nor hesitation. Everyone endured the suspense with diligence, waiting for his decision.

"We will have the remains of my father delivered to Khemet after a ritual of farewell to the troops at dawn. I will assign Karim with the responsibility to make the necessary arrangements to receive the body with dignity and respect once it reaches the city." Atemu began, his rich voice carrying a firm command no one would dare disobey.

Karim's eyes reflected surprise and hesitation to leave his commander and fellow soldiers behind at the most needed time. Quickly he dropped such feelings and received his new orders with diligence, placing his fist against his heart with a deep bow.

"I shall carry my duty without fail my lord. Please rest assured that the pharaoh shall be delivered with dignity and honor worthy of such great man, I swear on my life." Karim spoke before Atemu turned his attention to the men in the room. Regardless of his noble template, there was humility in his powerful gaze.

"I know that I'm unworthy of the loyalty of such great men, who have given everything to fight for this country." He began, his eyes reflecting the pain of the indignity that shadowed his highborn visage.

"My lord! We never thought such things…" Shada began as the prince raised his hand to settle his concerns.

"Still, if you swear yourself to me, I will not rest until we achieve the victory for the liberation of Khemet. Upon my life and my right as heir of the power of Osiris's, we will march to battle and return victorious." His tone carried confidence as he waited for the reaction of every authority present in the room. “What say you?”

Mahado stepped toward the prince, his tall frame casting a shadow over the young commander. With an unbreakable loyalty supporting his childhood friend he was ready to bend his knee and swear his loyalty to no other man.

"I swear to you, Atemu son of Aknamkanon, to follow you in life and after death. Let my services contribute to your purpose and my blood run for your cause. I, Priest Mahad of the dark arts and bearer of the Millennium Ring, am yours to command." The man bowed as his deep voice recited the words he prayed one day would come to pass his lips.

Atemu's eyes grew solemn as his best friend, who was no less dear of a brother to him, had walked and swore his loyalty with no hesitation or trace of doubt. The rest of the commanders followed his example and the members of the royal council pledged their services to the prince. His cousin approach last, looking at Atemu with a gaze full of pride after his decision and smiling softly as he bowed his knee and head.

"Long live Atemu, son of Aknamkanon. All hail the new Pharaoh of Khemet!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Yu-Gi-Oh! Is the property of Kazuki Takahashi, and are not Spellcraft Writings’ intellectual property. This is for entertainment purposes only. No financial gain was made from this nor will any be sought.